What's the farthest in advance you have book a cruise?

Cinderose

My wife and I are booked on the valor that leaves on Mar 29 2009. Yup that is NINE!

Wow, you are my IDOL!!! My family thinks booking our November 2008 this far out is nuts!!! We also like to have it paid for in advance.:)

We just booked for Conquest 11/30/2008 I am so psyched now I have something to do for the next 18 months planning and reading and getting excited!!!

My Nov/Dec 2008 cruises are booked. I love having it so far out, plenty of time to plan it out and pay for 2 passages. I'd like to fill in the gap with a cheapo spring cruise but I'm still trying to figure out where I want to go or if I want a <gasp> land based vacation :D

Cinderose

Can you e me with th info would love to book for my daughter and self www.elliefree@yahoo.com

Show this to your friends

Are you guys nuts????

great rate and it will give you something to look forward to and research excersions and of couse save also you can book something else before this one.

Go for it and watch the prices go up

I'd love to know your TA too and how she can get those prices. Can you share that info with me too??

firefly333@yahoo.com

I booked my cruise on the Splendor for August 08 last month (as soon as booking was allowed). I've usually booked about 10 - 11 months ahead, but my upcoming Alaska cruise, I booked about 6 months ahead.

We booked one cruise the week before it set sail -- definitely a last minute decision. We actually got the last available cabin on the ship which turned out to be an inside and at the very front of the ship. Totally enjoyed the cruise, but would of picked a different cabin given a choice.

The furthest out we have booked is 16 months. Glad we did as the cabin category we wanted totally booked out 2 weeks later. This way we got great pricing, the cabin category and location we wanted and also were able to get side by side cabins with our family.

I believe you get better pricing normally (not always) by booking further out and it is nice to have a cruise planned in the future. We ALWAYS buy trip insurance that covers pre-exisiting issues when we book the cruise. Part of the fun of cruising is doing all of the planning and the research.

I booked 25 months in advance once. Booked April 2002 for a May 2004 cruise.

If you book early and the price goes down, you can ask for the lower price. If you book early and the price goes up, you can keep the lower price. If you book late, and the earlier price was less, you cannot ask for the earlier lower price.

Also, the earlier you book, the better your chance of getting the cabin you want. I booked in early May 2006 for a late June 2007 cruise. In fact, the cruise was booked the first day it became available. I had to book it that early. There are only four of the cabin class I wanted on the ship, and all four were sold out within the first hour of the first day they became available - and I got one of them. :)

I once booked a year out... never again! LOL I can't handle it being so far away waiting for it! The closest I have book is 2 days before.. generally it's about a month, I can handle a month LOL Last years Sept cruise we booked a week and a half out.. it started at $209 for 5 nights bottom inside cabin and by the time we left it was $159 a person for top outside cabin. We enjoyed a few drinks on them with or OBC of the difference in price.

My farthest was just a little over 25 months. Booked a February '09 Carnival Freedom voyage in early January '07. Friends say I'll change my mind several time between now and then, but I don't think so. Was a great price and a perfect cabin selection.

~

Booked a November '08 Carnival Splendor voyage in mid-May '07 (18 months out) and that one is almost a sell-out now. Price was a steal. Nothing but a few inside cabins remain. So I definitely say that booking way in advance can have its benefits.

I have a cruise booked for April 2008 and am considering another one for December 2008! I love having a cruise vacation to look forward to and plan for. It gives me something wonderful to think about during those long days at work. :D

I figure that by booking early I can get the cabin I want, monitor the prices for drops (hopefully) and if something happens and I need to cancel, as long as I do so outside of the penalty time, it's no big deal.

Yeah same here... I can't handle that long of the suspense! I normally book 3-5 months ahead... I've also booked as soon as 2 days from sailing.

I once booked a year out... never again! LOL I can't handle it being so far away waiting for it! The closest I have book is 2 days before.. generally it's about a month, I can handle a month LOL Last years Sept cruise we booked a week and a half out.. it started at $209 for 5 nights bottom inside cabin and by the time we left it was $159 a person for top outside cabin. We enjoyed a few drinks on them with or OBC of the difference in price.

I remember the days before 9/11 when we would pack our bags and drive down to Miami and wait for a open spot on a cruise. No shows unsold cabins etc.

Cruising was for the rich and famous back then ;) plus us. The best we ever did was a 500 sq ft suite on the Norway for $400 and that was for both of us. We did this several times and got great deals. If we didn't get a room we just head over to south beach and try again Sunday. We never got left behind.

Oh the good ole days.

$300 for a 7-day cruise is a spectacular price. Don't let it get away! You may never see that low of a price again!

The longest time for us was 305 days. We've only done that once though.

• 1 month later...

We have booked the Destiny for Feb. 0f 09'. Thats what 18 months from now 580 some days. We got an unbeleiveable rate for our cabin. Its a extended balcony aft on the port side. Infact there are 10 of us booked already. So as long as the cruiselines have the dates why not book. If you decide not to go just make sure you cancel before the final payment date and you will get all your money back.

We started booking far in advance for the August 1999 Solar Eclipse Cruise--I was on the waiting list to book a PH cabin on the Vistafjord in January of 1998--before they opened ticketing! Of all the great cruises we've taken it was still the best!

We are currently booked for this August (NCL Star), December (NCL Pearl), August 2008 (NCL Jade) and Xmas/NewYears 2008/2009 (NCL Sun).

We heard about the Disney Panama Canal cruise for Aug 2008 too late--it's all already booked--GONE!

You book early for the following reasons:

1) You get the cruise you want at the time you want. Popular cruises sell out early. Disney books its top cabins 18 months in advance, regularly.

2) You lock in your office schedule--"Hey, I've been booked for that slot and planning this for the last 6 months!"

3) Prices are lowest either super-early or just before sailing.

4) We pay the least we can the latest we can-why let THEM hold our money when we can.

I would really like to find a country music cruise for 2009 but I have searched and apparently they dont list those this far in advance. Would give me some time to plan a fun cruise. Any hints where to look for these type of specialty cruises?

I remember the days before 9/11 when we would pack our bags and drive down to Miami and wait for a open spot on a cruise. No shows unsold cabins etc.

Cruising was for the rich and famous back then ;) plus us. The best we ever did was a 500 sq ft suite on the Norway for $400 and that was for both of us. We did this several times and got great deals. If we didn't get a room we just head over to south beach and try again Sunday. We never got left behind.

Oh the good ole days.

I don't see how 9/11 changed this. Last-minute bookings are still possible. Do you mean that because of 9/11 more people are cruising and there are fewer cabins left over?:confused:

I don't see how 9/11 changed this. Last-minute bookings are still possible. Do you mean that because of 9/11 more people are cruising and there are fewer cabins left over?:confused:

I know one thing that's changed. We used to go to the pier and see off our friends or them us on the day of sailing. Now you can't even get into the pier areas without a ship ticket.

Bill

I booked my first cruise over a year in advance, 14 months to be exact. It was pure torture for me! :eek:

My second cruise was booked 4 months in advance, which is fine for me. I just can't stand to know I'm going on a cruise but have to wait over a year to get on it!

If you really want to save, go ahead and book real early. If you can afford the difference, book when it's closer to the cruising date, less hard on the patience ;)

I trying to get some of my friends to go on the Liberty Sept 2008 but they think Im crazy for wanting to book this far in advance. My TA secured an unbelievable price (under $300) for a 7 night cruise, so we had her hold them, but still they think its crazy to book this far in advance. How do you convince people you need to book ahead to secure these great deals? Ever had a problem yourself with those procrastinating cruising friends?

Cinder

It should have been booked long before now

Archived