More than one quart sized bag in carry on?

I am not willing to have my expensive cosmetics lost for a day or two or forever if my regular luggage gets misdirected,so I want to put all my liquid cosmetics in a couple of quart bags for carryon at the airport. (no way will they fit in one!) DH flies alot and says it is okay but I am nervous. (He only ever has one baggie). I don't want a hundred dollars worth taken away but don't want to lose them as they are not replaceable while cruising. Has anyone else taken on a couple of plastic quart sized bags in one carry on? The last 2 cruises I took have been local and I did not have to fly to get there!

Thanks frequent lady flyers!

I am not willing to have my expensive cosmetics lost for a day or two or forever if my regular luggage gets misdirected,so I want to put all my liquid cosmetics in a couple of quart bags for carryon at the airport. (no way will they fit in one!) DH flies alot and says it is okay but I am nervous. (He only ever has one baggie). I don't want a hundred dollars worth taken away but don't want to lose them as they are not replaceable while cruising. Has anyone else taken on a couple of plastic quart sized bags in one carry on? The last 2 cruises I took have been local and I did not have to fly to get there!

Thanks frequent lady flyers!

One quart size bag to a person. Put your valuable makeup in husband's baggie and pack his stuff in checked luggage. Priorities you know.

Pia

Just be careful what you put in the 1 qt baggie. You are only allowed 3 oz of liquid makeup for instance so if something is 4 oz you may have a chance of having it confiscated. I just went out and bought sample sizes (3 oz and under) of everything I want to hand carry. Things like toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, hair gel, hair spray, liquid lipstick, etc. are some of the things to consider when you put them into that plastic baggie. And, they will ask to see it. We have a special table set up at our local airport that checks this stuff then you can put it back in your carryon and send it on through the scanner.

Good luck

If you buy most of your cosmetics at a good department store (Nordstrom's, Bloomingdales, etc.) and frequent one representative, you can probably get him/her to give you sample size containers of your cosmetics or empty containers to put enough to last the trip plus a little. I get mine from Douglas Cosmetics in Grand Central since I rarely make it to Nordstrom's any more, but Nordstrom's was generous with their containers. Prescriptives usually has little containers. You have to ask though. Watch out for the Container Store though, they are marketing 4 oz containers and those won't fly (ha ha).

How can anyone possibly have such valuable cosmetics they have to tote them around in hand luggage

Jewellry is one thing i sure would not put in checked luggage

but worrying about a :--

Quart size bag of Cosmetics inc toothpaste being toted in hand luggage thats insane

Gosh some people have much more serious concerns because they have no option but to take life saving drugs with them in their hand luggage

How can anyone possibly have such valuable cosmetics they have to tote them around in hand luggage

Quart size bag of Cosmetics inc toothpaste being toted in hand luggage thats insane

Gosh some people have much more serious concerns because they have no option but to take life saving drugs with them in their hand luggage

Why are you being so judgemental? There are lots of women, myself included, who wouldn't want to lose their cosmetics. Toothpaste can be easily replaced, not specific blends/brands of makeup.

As for medications, those don't have to fit into quart size bags, so what's your point?

One quart sized bag PER PERSON is all that the airlines will allow. Anything else will be disposed of by TSA. No way to get around these new rules.

So, you will either have to limit the amount you take, get smaller sizes of each item, share your husbands allowable amount and put some of your things in his quart bag, or pack it.

Those are your only options. They will not make exceptions no matter what price you paid for any items. Sorry! :(

One quart size clear resealable bag per person as was stated. It is a TSA requirement - the airlines couldn't care less. Each item inside the bag can not be more than 3.4 ounces (increased from 3 ounces since 3.4 ounces is 100ml, a standard package in much of the world). Note that the total volume of each item can not be more than 3.4 ounces. If you have a mostly-used tube of toothpaste that holds 6 ounces, it is not allowed in that bag.

You're not married, are you? Not a whole lot fits in a quart size zip-lock bag. I expect that I will be transporting some of my wife's necessities. Her stuff is hypo-allergenic and not easily replaced. If the inspector looks at me funny, I'll just smile and tell him I think he's cute! :)

Grumpy, aren'twe? Obviously you haven't frequently the Estee Guerlain, or a number of other such counters. Maybe you were blessed with flawless skin or maybe you are a man. Anyway, thanks for your constructive opinion.

Toothpaste, deoderant, sunscreen etc. are easily replaced and cheap if lost. Personal cosmetics aren't.....I have always carried my cosmetics in hand carry luggage since I was 20. I have asked for sample sizes before at Dillards, Macy's and have usually been told they don't have them to give out. But none of the ones I will need to take are more than 1.7 oz. anyway. Thanks for the idea of sharing hubby's quart bag...His shampoo, and general toildetries,as Spongerob said, can go into the big bags!! Thanks ladies and gentleman!

I've used Clinique cosmetics exclusively for at least 25 years. I usually purchase what I need when stores (Nordstrom, Macy's) have Clinique "bonus" days. The smaller sizes of my favorite products have always been perfect for traveling, and I've accumulated quite a collection over the years. Dozens of cosmetic and/or tote bags, too! Some of the other cosmetic companies offer these types of specials, and it's a good way to stock up on what you need for home use and get the smaller sizes for travel.

I've never had a problem with breakage/spillage with cosmetics packed in checked luggage and don't really need to have these items with me onboard. My rescue inhaler is a priority, along with a small bottle of mouthwash, Purell, handcream, lip balm - these are the items that I've put in the plastic bag on my last few flights.

FYI: TSA requires that all prescription meds be in their original labeled containers. If the label is on a carton instead of on the bottle, canister, etc. you'll have to bring that with you for proper I.D.

Chris

I've used Clinique cosmetics exclusively for at least 25 years. I usually purchase what I need when stores (Nordstrom, Macy's) have Clinique "bonus" days. The smaller sizes of my favorite products have always been perfect for traveling, and I've accumulated quite a collection over the years. Dozens of cosmetic and/or tote bags, too! Some of the other cosmetic companies offer these types of specials, and it's a good way to stock up on what you need for home use and get the smaller sizes for travel.

I've never had a problem with breakage/spillage with cosmetics packed in checked luggage and don't really need to have these items with me onboard. My rescue inhaler is a priority, along with a small bottle of mouthwash, Purell, handcream, lip balm - these are the items that I've put in the plastic bag on my last few flights.

FYI: TSA requires that all prescription meds be in their original labeled containers. If the label is on a carton instead of on the bottle, canister, etc. you'll have to bring that with you for proper I.D.

Chris

I actually do have a few small trial size items (moisturizer for example). I am not worried about breakage but more about loss. I have had checked luggage not make it to me on 3 occasions so I always plan for the worst. I don't need them in flight though.

Chris

No, actually that is not true. Here is the direct quote from

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1059.shtm

"Non-liquid or gel medications of all kinds such as solid pills, or inhalers are allowed through the security checkpoint once they have been screened. We recommend, but do not require, that your medications be labeled to assist with the screening process."

I seriously recommend all travelers go to that website for the actual facts instead of trying to get their information from us self-styled "experts" on message boards;)

I feel your pain. I had to toss a mascara once that I forgot about in my handbag.

Last trip I took a woman was in tears as she had a big bag of cosmetics that she was not allowed to take on board.

Many cosmetics are not liquids after all (skin care products which are really expensive are the problem in my case).

Lipstick is NOT a liquid, but lipgloss is. Eye shadow, lip pencils, eye pencils, blush are ok.

My MIL was coming home from a cruise in February and had purchased several hundred dollars worth of facial products. The TSA wouldn't let her carry them on board (they were over the size limit). She wound up purchasing another back (she had already checked her luggage) and checked a small bag with just her facial products in it - not a happy day for her. :(

So if you can't buy small sizes, I would recommend getting tiny containers and putting whatever you can in them.

"Non-liquid or gel medications of all kinds such as solid pills, or inhalers are allowed through the security checkpoint once they have been screened. We recommend, but do not require, that your medications be labeled to assist with the screening process."

I seriously recommend all travelers go to that website for the actual facts instead of trying to get their information from us self-styled "experts" on message boards;)

That is a recent change - up until a few months ago it was a requirement, although they never enforced it. Just the facts!

Ron

Suggestion: go to REI or Campmor and buy the small Nalgene bottles and jars. They hold about 1 oz and are spill proof and virtually unbreakable. Transfer your lotions and creams into them.

I have used these for many years and put them into ziplock bags into my checked luggage with nary a spill/leak with air travel to Europe and Africa. Of course you can also put them into your quart ziplock and carry on.

The TSA website has been updated since I last looked at it. My post reflected my personal experience in Detroit. Not all airport security systems operate identically.

Prior to a flight in January, 2006, I contacted a TSA agent at DTW with a specific question regarding my inhaler. I was told that I would not be allowed to have the inhaler with me unless the prescription label was on the canister. Since I get my medications by mail through Medco, there is no prescription label on the canister; the label is on the box that the inhaler comes in. The TSA agent in Detroit advised me to bring the box which I have done a few times since. The TSA statement above confirms the recommendation that medications be labeled.

Chris

3 - 1 - 1

"3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3 ounce bottle or less; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3 oz. container size is a security measure."

Quoted from here http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm

Suggestion: go to REI or Campmor and buy the small Nalgene bottles and jars. They hold about 1 oz and are spill proof and virtually unbreakable. Transfer your lotions and creams into them.

I have used these for many years and put them into ziplock bags into my checked luggage with nary a spill/leak with air travel to Europe and Africa. Of course you can also put them into your quart ziplock and carry on.

I use those too (from REI)...they're the BEST, BUT...I had 2 two ounce containers confiscated on an international flight, so the original container thing was definitely enforced.

Obviously you do not purchase high quality skin care products. My skin care products average $300 per set and with any good quality set must all be used together to work properly. I also would not want to lose a set due to lost luggage. Additionally, what I use cannot be purchased just anywhere - only from a consultant or on-line which means if lost would take a week to replace.

The TSA website has been updated since I last looked at it. My post reflected my personal experience in Detroit. Not all airport security systems operate identically.

Prior to a flight in January, 2006, I contacted a TSA agent at DTW with a specific question regarding my inhaler. I was told that I would not be allowed to have the inhaler with me unless the prescription label was on the canister. Since I get my medications by mail through Medco, there is no prescription label on the canister; the label is on the box that the inhaler comes in. The TSA agent in Detroit advised me to bring the box which I have done a few times since. The TSA statement above confirms the recommendation that medications be labeled.

Chris

This is exactly why MercedMike posted what he did - if people go to the source, they will find the most up-to-date information. I don't think his post was meant to be negative against you, but to try to point people to the source for the most accurate information.

I am often puzzled how people will ask very specific questions here re: travel insurance for example. I don't know any travel insurance company that has ever paid a claim based on what someone on CC posted would be covered. Such questions are best answered directly by the insurance company. Similar though somewhat different idea here.

Archived