More than one quart sized bag in carry on?

Why does there seem to be so much antagonism about some of using good makeup? I've already survived cancer and a few other assorted diseases, I've worked hard all my life and now, at the ripe old age of 76, choose to pamper myself. What's the problem?

To the OP. No, you cannot take more than one quart size bag, end of story. No one cares how much your stuff is worth, you'll run the risk of it be chucked in the bin. So your two choices are take what will fit in one zip lock bag, or pack it in your checked bag. I'm sure your clothes are worth more than $300 but you don't seem too concerned about those getting lost. If you can't live with just a cleanser and moisurizer in your skin care line for a week, then there's a problem.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1059.shtm

I seriously recommend all travelers go to that website for the actual facts instead of trying to get their information from us self-styled "experts" on message boards;)

Thank you so much for posting this link. If not for this posting I would not have even been aware of these restrictions! It has been awhile since I have flown. At first I thought this was a joke....only one plastic bag per person?

I'm also a B.E. user and wonder if anyone has a suggestion on how to pack it so the powder isn't all in the lid, spilling everywhere when I open it after being packed away and tossed around?

Before packing it, clean the top off and then put a piece of masking tape over the holes. That should keep all of the powder in the jar. Just remove it when you want to use it...and replace it for the trip home. :)

Before packing it, clean the top off and then put a piece of masking tape over the holes. That should keep all of the powder in the jar. Just remove it when you want to use it...and replace it for the trip home. :)

Thanks for the response and the great idea. I love these message boards!

I put my BE powders, small amounts for travel, into a couple of small 6-section vitamin boxes I buy at GNC. Have a tiny plastic spoon I got somewhere to put small amounts into where I swirl the brush. I have two small plastic trays (the covers of baby wipe boxes) onto which I've taped the lids of BE jars. This is all kept in a 99cent pencil box from KMart.

I have smaller versions of all my brushes and keep them standing upright in a small plastic zippered case.

Actually, I took a small business card holder, plastic (made for desktop) and jammed several cylinders from plastic curlers into the slots. The brushes stay in place this way.

Since ship bathrooms have little counter space, I put a small plastic tray (filched from a hotel room) in my suitcase. I can set all my makeup stuff on it and sort of balance it over the washbowl, because the light is better in the bathroom.

Another great idea -- thanks for the response and the good ideas, especially the one about the tray over the sink.

To the OP. No, you cannot take more than one quart size bag, end of story. No one cares how much your stuff is worth, you'll run the risk of it be chucked in the bin. So your two choices are take what will fit in one zip lock bag, or pack it in your checked bag. I'm sure your clothes are worth more than $300 but you don't seem too concerned about those getting lost. If you can't live with just a cleanser and moisurizer in your skin care line for a week, then there's a problem.

Clearly you don't even know what you are talking about--actually you are right--there is a problem. I just chose not to share it. I must say I am amazed at those on this board who think they know it all with their trite quips....Nevertheless, I am not the one who put a dollar amount on them to begin with--that was another poster. As others have said, it is an issue of priorities. Of course my clothing is worth more but clothing is easily replaced if lost. That is why I asked initially because the items in question would not be able to be replaced until stateside again if luggage were misdirected and I will be gone for almost two weeks. Just as medication cannot be replaced out of country so one packs it in carry on-that is also the case with other personal items as well. I haven't flown to my cruise departure point since last year before this new ban started although I did cruise in November from a port within driving distance. In any event, my one quart baggie is ready, the bags are packed and I am off on my trip on Wednesday morning. Thank you to those of you with constructive help! I packed with no problems using your various suggestions. These boards work as long as one chooses to ignore the "Oscar the Grouch" types who ooze negativity.

Clearly you don't even know what you are talking about--actually you are right--there is a problem. I just chose not to share it. I must say I am amazed at those on this board who think they know it all with their trite quips....Nevertheless, I am not the one who put a dollar amount on them to begin with--that was another poster. As others have said, it is an issue of priorities. Of course my clothing is worth more but clothing is easily replaced if lost. That is why I asked initially because the items in question would not be able to be replaced until stateside again if luggage were misdirected and I will be gone for almost two weeks. Just as medication cannot be replaced out of country so one packs it in carry on-that is also the case with other personal items as well. I haven't flown to my cruise departure point since last year before this new ban started although I did cruise in November from a port within driving distance. In any event, my one quart baggie is ready, the bags are packed and I am off on my trip on Wednesday morning. Thank you to those of you with constructive help! I packed with no problems using your various suggestions. These boards work as long as one chooses to ignore the "Oscar the Grouch" types who ooze negativity.

Good for you for being able to read through this thread and get the info that you need for your trip. It really isn't anyone else's concern why you would rather carry on your cosmetics than put them in your checked luggage.

Also, check the TSA website within a day or so of your flight - rules are changing all the time.

Have a great trip!!

I just got back from Alaska and I have multiple clear quart size bags in my carry on and they are okay as long as the containers are under 3 oz. I did not take them out and leave them in my carryon for scanning. Make sure you have your cosmetic stuff and perfume transfer to the smaller bottles though. Anything bigger will be trashed by the airport officials. These containers can be bought at Walmarts.

You need to adhere to the regulations of one quart bag for the liquids - if someone got through with more than one bag, good for them, but if you get a screener who is doing their job properly, they will confiscate the excess and that stuff just gets thrown out in the garbage.

I'd rather be safe packing the excess in my check in bag than having them confiscated and thrown out.

I just want to reinforce the message;

The fluid in hand baggage limit is global in my experience. Mant airports will allow you to carry on liquids purchased in the terminal AFTER security but increasingly I am seeing the limit applied (in Atlanta 2 weeks ago they took a todder feeder cup off a child because it was too large.

Also. arriving internationally at Atlanta would mean that all those nice liquid/gel duty free purchases that dont fit into your little plastic bag must be checked. Yes, that is for those arriving at the airport (due to the layout).

These rules are to protect those who travel by air. Yes it is a pain.

Also

Be warned ! UK London airports operate a one carry on bag limit (which includes your handbag !!!) so if you are connecting with two carry-on bags (handbag plus one other for example), you may well find that you will need to put your handbag into the other or check one for your flight leaving the airport. This also applies if you are flying home.

"UK airports one carry on bag Inc handbag limit" and the size is also very limited to basically the equal of those little plastic wheelie cases kids have

This is precisly what i have been saying and why anyone who has medical/ allergy/food problems have such a hard time fitting in food and liquid essential for their journey never mind travel documents a small camera and maybe a paperback

USA airports and airlines allow folk to wheel on sizes of luggage that MUST be put in the hold elsewhere in the world

If the original OP and others stopped to recognise that difference they would understand things better

I just got back from Alaska and I have multiple clear quart size bags in my carry on and they are okay as long as the containers are under 3 oz. I did not take them out and leave them in my carryon for scanning.

You were very lucky to be allowed more than one quart-sized bag, and even luckier to be allowed to leave them in your carryon. The screener who checked your stuff was not doing his/her job ... should be disciplined or fired. TSA is very clear: only one quart-sized bag per passenger and, in my airport experience, the bag must be removed from your carryon. Don't be surprised if you have your stuff confiscated in the future if you continue with this practice.

Archived