Once your wine is onboard....

Cruisekitty1977

Okay, so we know you can bring on wine. And I also know that you can bring it to the dining room for a corkage fee. But can I bring it anywhere on the ship and drink it?

Let's say I wanted to go the deck and play some cards with some friends to enjoy the view. Can I open the bottle right there and pour some glasses for us? I just don't know if we can only use our own alcohol in our rooms/ dining rooms or if we can enjoy them elsewhere.

I have a couple of good bottles of Reisling that I would love to enjoy on the deck.

Okay, so we know you can bring on wine. And I also know that you can bring it to the dining room for a corkage fee. But can I bring it anywhere on the ship and drink it?

Let's say I wanted to go the deck and play some cards with some friends to enjoy the view. Can I open the bottle right there and pour some glasses for us? I just don't know if we can only use our own alcohol in our rooms/ dining rooms or if we can enjoy them elsewhere.

I have a couple of good bottles of Reisling that I would love to enjoy on the deck.

I have never seen this done. It is an excellant question.

I suspect the bars would frown upon this tremendously. I look forward to hearing other respond. I could not find an answer in the cruise contact regarding this either.

What year of reisling is it? Also is it a Auslese? Third question.. are you of legal age?:cool:

As Fuzzzy mentioned, I would imagine opening the bottle on deck would be frowned upon. What we have done on occasion is pour a generous glass in the cabin and then take it wherever you want. (Remember though, if you are by the pool, the glasses should be the plastic kind.) By the by, don't be shy about asking your room steward for wine glasses. They usually bring them quickly and replace them morning and evening if needed. But don't forget to bring your own corkscrew!:eek:

As Fuzzzy mentioned, I would imagine opening the bottle on deck would be frowned upon. What we have done on occasion is pour a generous glass in the cabin and then take it wherever you want. (Remember though, if you are by the pool, the glasses should be the plastic kind.) By the by, don't be shy about asking your room steward for wine glasses. They usually bring them quickly and replace them morning and evening if needed. But don't forget to bring your own corkscrew!:eek:

and when you run out of wine!!!:eek: The loser of the last hand of cards goes for refills:D :p :)

Rob

On my first cruise (seven years ago), my TA sent a bottle of champagne to our room. I was naive and so my friend and I opened it, took it to one of the lounges, that had very few people, and we each had a glass of it. A cocktail waitress came over and asked if we needed something and we very politely asked if what we were doing was okay. She didn't seem to care.

I'm not sure if I would do that today, but I wouldn't see any problem with taking a "glass/cup" on deck and drinking it. Apart from the lounges, I don't think anyone would run you off if you were discreet about it. The only thing that could be a problem is having the glass bottle on the deck - they may not like that, from a safety standpoint.

I'll also be interested in others that have had experience with this. We, too, will bring a couple of bottles of our favorite vintage aboard. We have an inside cabin, so we would like to take it out of our room if it is permitted.

Another question. Can you get wine glasses in your room from the room steward?

We did this last December. We had a CC meet and greet at sailaway on deck at the Tradewinds bar. We opened a bottle of sparkling wine in the cabin and I had it in hand at the meet! No one cared at all...what's the worst that can happen?

From the patter a couple of months ago, you could "bring wine or champagne onboard to enjoy only in the privacy of your stateroom". That being said, they did not stop anyone who left their rooms with filled wine glasses, and seemed happy enough to open personal wines in the dining rooms with the corkage fee. Their wine list is somewhat limited, so I can see people bringing something else on board, a personal favorite, for example.

I didn't see people with their own bottles tho :(

Thank you everyone for your responses!

I think I will just take a glass up to the deck with me in a plastic wine glass. Definitely did not think about the glass bottle being in a public area where children and adults are walking around in bare feet. I would not want to be the cause of that hazard if it accidently broke.

What year of reisling is it?

I am work right now, so do not have the years in front of me. It’s a couple of nice bottles that we got directly from Germany from a friend and have been waiting to open them for a special occasion. Have had them for at least 4 years, but I know the vintage was not that year or the year before.

Also is it a Auslese?

You know your wines! Yes, it is. I love sweeter wines. :)

are you of legal age?

Turning 30 this year, so yup! :eek:

On the Dawn Princess in April, our trivia team won champagne twice and we brought it to subsequent trivia games to share with our team. The waiters kindly opened the bottles and provided flutes.

We brought both wine and champagne aboard our mos recent cruises. Our cabin steward kept us supplied with wine and champagnge glasses. We never took a bottle to the dining, just poured generous glasses of wine and took them with us. We did take unopened champagne to one of the lounges, the waitress there gladly supplied our trivia team with 8 champagne glasses and we proceeded to happily consume both bottles and win the game!

They usually bring them quickly and replace them morning and evening if needed. But don't forget to bring your own corkscrew!:eek:

Cabin steward gave us one on our last cruise - thankfully, because we forgot ours.

Once I forgot to bring the corkscrew and room service came and opened the wine when they brought the glasses. They were happy with the tip. I won't forget the thing again. I had one taken by TSA, somehow I put it in my carry on. It was a favorite, too. I have carried a glass of wine from the room once in a while, but never a bottle. We have taken an unopened bottle to the dining room and have had different experiences as to the fee to open the wine. We've been charged only once. Other times they just smile and say, "no problem".

We brought plenty of wine on the Coral last week. Were charged a corkage fee in the dining room, but drank plenty on our desk. Also took an open bottle to the buffet where the wait staff supplied the glasses and generously poured for us. No corkage fee! Always had a fresh bucket of ice in the fridge every morning and when we ran out, ordered more from room service. The fridge is very cold and kept the wine chilled to perfection.

We forgot our corkscrew on our Alaskan cruise. We asked our steward for one and he said he couldn't leave it with us but we could call him whenever we wanted to open a bottle. But we checked in the ship store and found one for about three bucks -- a nice souvenir that we still use at home (the bottle opener, anyway.) :)

Archived