Alaska Dog Sled And Musher's Camp

tennmomof1

Hi,

My husband and I were thinking about doing this, but I found a reference in a message that said this was discouraged. I couldn't find the original messages that said what was wrong with this trip. Can anyone give me an opinion. We can't afford the trip where you actually go out on the glaciers with the dogs.

We were thinking about doing this in Skagway, but if the trip isn't any good we would rather spend the money elsewhere.

Thanks,

Robin

Robin,

We were looking at this tour. When we didn't get a response from the company, we contacted a broker. The broker said that they were not booking the wheeled dogsled this year because they had too many complaints from the previous year. They said it was too bumpy. Later we got a response from the dogsled company saying, "Book through the cruise line." My guess is that they were negotiating with the cruise lines since this tour was not available through the ship when we first looked.

All that said, I don't know if the broker got shut out and their response was sour grapes. I do remember reading on a previous CC thread that the tour was not recommended for "Grandma", it was "kind of rough."

Did you check on prices directly with the helicopter companies? We ended up booking in Juneau with Temsco.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Phil

If you do a search for this tour on this board, you will find that many people really enjoyed it. I think there was the one post that said it might be too bumpy for older people, but other than that, the reviews were positive. I contacted the company regarding reserving, and they did not suggest booking through my cruise line.

I booked this through the cruise line. I tried to book through M & M and they said they were sold out and I would have to try the cruise line. The price is the same either way. Booking on my own would be $89 plus 4% tax on the cruise line it is a straight $99. I really wanted this tour have read mostly positive things about it.

5/6 Regal Princess/ San Francisco

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;6;15;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Robin,

when we were looking at this wheeled dogsled ride for our port stop in Skagway I read LOTS of positive reviews. (You did say you were not considering the helicopter/glacier dogsled trip, but the less expensive one in Skagway. I am assuming you mean the wheel dogsled adventure offered by www.alaskasleddog.com).

I had tried to reach them earlier, as well and it turns out that their office was closed during the off season. When they did reply, they said that they were offering the excursion through the cruise lines and that they did not have any reservations available on the day that we would be in port. We could wait till the day before and see if anything opened up, but they could not confirm anything until the reservations with their cruise line customers were settled. I guess our cruise line did not contract with them, or they would have told us to book through the cruise line.

I was very disappointed, because I had heard so many good things about the adventure and because it was an affordable way for my kids to experience the dogs...they love animals. Also, I had read that you can see LOTS of bald eagles on the ride to the camp. It took awhile to get over the disappointment on that one. We were not willing to keep our day open for the POSSIBILITY of a chance to hop on this tour last minute.

Good Luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tennmomof1:

We can't afford the trip where you actually go out on the glaciers with the dogs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here! We were pretty jazzed about a glacier mush. We couldn't find any mention of the price, so we emailed them. The reply came back at around $375 a person, which includes 30 minutes of helicopter touring, 30 minutes of mush training, and about 30 minutes of mushing.

Too rich for me :|

Archived