Millennium Refurbished?

gator582

Considering a cruise on the Millennium early next year. I read that it was in dry dock in April for refurbishing. Anyone know if this is true? Thanks!:)

It was indeed in drydock, but not for refurbishing. Long story short, she was given a "tune up"....

When I was on her in late November she was in beautiful shape, and the room furnishings were in great condition. The duvets, etc were new I believe.

Gator,

We just got off the Millennium yesterday morning. She is really in fantastic shape. The duvets in the staterooms have all been replaced. The beds are very comfortable and the new sheets are wonderful!! We didn't notice anything really worn out in any of the public rooms. I would not hesitate to sail on her again. If you have any specific questions, please let me know. Thanks!!

Frederick

Gator,

We just got off the Millennium yesterday morning. She is really in fantastic shape. The duvets in the staterooms have all been replaced. The beds are very comfortable and the new sheets are wonderful!! We didn't notice anything really worn out in any of the public rooms. I would not hesitate to sail on her again. If you have any specific questions, please let me know. Thanks!!

Frederick

Thank you so much for your reply, Frederick. I'm glad you and your family had a wonderful trip and loved the ship. If I think of anything specific, I will definitely check with you. BTW: I enjoyed your live reports and your wife's blog. Your son is so cute!!

I am just off the Millennium as well. Overall i found the condition of the ship to be very good, but not excellent. My biggest gripe was the carpeting. While many carpets looked to be new, there were still plenty of warn carpeting throughout the ship. I think considering she was in Dry Dock for 3 weeks, Celebrity could have done more with replacing carpets. for example, my stateroom carpeting was in barely acceptable condition, in my opinion. But overall, the ship is in very good condition.

Larry

I am just off the Millennium as well. Overall i found the condition of the ship to be very good, but not excellent. My biggest gripe was the carpeting. While many carpets looked to be new, there were still plenty of warn carpeting throughout the ship. I think considering she was in Dry Dock for 3 weeks, Celebrity could have done more with replacing carpets. for example, my stateroom carpeting was in barely acceptable condition, in my opinion. But overall, the ship is in very good condition.

Larry

Hopefully it's replaced soon. It is SO gross to have beat up, unclean carpeting. :eek: Thanks for your info, Larry.

Hi!

Also just off the Millenium. I too thought the ship looked very good. We were in cabin 8099 and everything was in excellent condition. Beds were very comfortable and our bathroom was very clean. I noticed some worn carpets in public areas, but not in our stateroom.

Larry

:) If you have really bad carpeting, you can ask that it be replaced. They have extra carpeting onboard and will replace it if it is really bad.

:) If you have really bad carpeting, you can ask that it be replaced. They have extra carpeting onboard and will replace it if it is really bad.

thats good to know for next time..but the problem is, once you are moved into a room..do you really want them to come in and change your carpet? everything needs to be moved and it will prolly smell for a few days. not my idea of a vacation ;)

considering the ship was in dry dock for 3 weeks and carpeting is one of the cheaper and easier items to replace + the ship is 7 years old..Celebrity could have stepped up to the plate and replaced alot more carpeting. I paid alot for my stateroom and the condition was not satisfactory, imho.

I will be posting a full review of the ship and itinerary hopefully in the next week or so. There were plenty of great things about the ship but there were a few problem areas that i think Celebrity could have taken care of easily in dry dock.

Larry

I had 55 guests sailing on the Millennium 12 night cruise out of Venice on May 25. I, too, accompanied my guests. We were all in agreement that the staterooms need to be refurbished. With the exception of the one inside cabin we had on deck 7, the cabins needed new carpet, new sinks and new toilet seats--chips in the sinks and on the toilet seat which had not even been patched or painted. One client had tile come up from the bathroom floor on two occasions; one client had a bathroom mirror which was cracked.

Several had curtains for the sliding glass doors which were frayed and had holes in them--we had 24 balcony cabins on deck 7. As a travel agent, I was embarrassed since I was sure the cabins would be cleaned and touched up during drydock. I apologized to my guests.

In addition, we felt the food was mediocre. BUT service was great; entertainment the best we have seen.

With all the negatives, my clients were happy with the cruise and would sail Celebrity again. I was disappointed that I had to apologize to them for the condition of their staterooms.

Just one travel agent's opinion. I have sailed on over 30 cruises on 10 different lines--I don't criticize needlessly, but I was disappointed.

Mom C

considering the ship was in dry dock for 3 weeks and carpeting is one of the cheaper and easier items to replace + the ship is 7 years old..Celebrity could have stepped up to the plate and replaced alot more carpeting. I paid alot for my stateroom and the condition was not satisfactory, imho.

That makes it sound like the CARPETING is 7 years old. I doubt that much if any of the original carpeting from 7 years ago is still on the ship. They replace it constantly as they learn it is needed. In some areas, it has probably been replaced 4 or 5 times over 7 years if not more!

Did you let anybody know of the unsatisfactory condition? Even if you wouldn't want to be inconvenienced while they replaced it, they may have been able to replace it on debarkation day for you so that the next guest wouldn't have to have unsatisfactory carpet...

That makes it sound like the CARPETING is 7 years old. I doubt that much if any of the original carpeting from 7 years ago is still on the ship. They replace it constantly as they learn it is needed. In some areas, it has probably been replaced 4 or 5 times over 7 years if not more!

Did you let anybody know of the unsatisfactory condition? Even if you wouldn't want to be inconvenienced while they replaced it, they may have been able to replace it on debarkation day for you so that the next guest wouldn't have to have unsatisfactory carpet...

My point was...the ship is about 7 years old. It just went through a 3 week dry dock (very expensive to take a ship out of service for 3 weeks). you would think that all the warn carpeting would get replaced (both in staterooms and public areas, toilet seats (mine was chipped) replaced, etc. And I did help the next guest that was going to stay in my room, we had ants! and i had them spray a few times. Celebrity is trying to be a large luxury cruise line..to have that title, people cruising on them expect a little more. I equate a Celebrity ship to a nice Hilton or Marriott hotel. My stateroom condition was significantly worse than a Hilton or Marriott. To me, thats not acceptable.

Have said all this..i love sailing on Celebrity and i would highly recommend them and i would use them again. But maybe i would only sail on a newer ship? im not sure. Celebrity could have used the 3 week dry dock more efficiently and spent a few more bucks on the ship.

Larry

I was also on the May 25th sailing (hi Larry and Joanna! :)), and we had the chipped toilet seat as well as worn and stained carpeting in our room. We also noticed some black marks and stains on the curtain lining as we went in and out of the door to the balcony. We were in a 2B cabin on 7th floor mid-ship near the glass elevator. I thought the public areas looked good, but I was in and out of a number of cabins on the cruise (just visiting friends because I am not a travel agent) and saw a lot of areas that should have been addressed.

While acknowledging that food tastes are very subjective, there were many complaints about food on our sailing. Desserts were downright nasty except for the ice cream.

I think it's tacky for board members to criticize Larry by indicating that he did something wrong by reporting the condition of his cabin on these boards. So Larry, please note that I appreciate the report.

As Larry said, the cruise was good overall--the itinerary is excellent--Celebrity is not a budget line, so I think we paid for and had reasonable expectations that these issues on the ship should have been better.

Donna

hi donna!

thanks for getting my back ;)

it seems like if you post something negative on here (but true), you get pounced on. would it be better if i just say everything was perfect, the ship looks like its brand new and the food & entertainment was the best ever? those are the reviews i cant stand!

i was actually pleased with the food on the ship (and im a foodie), but i agree the desserts were not good.

like you said, the itinerary was tremendous. i think its the best out there for the Mediterranean.

Larry

My point was...the ship is about 7 years old. It just went through a 3 week dry dock (very expensive to take a ship out of service for 3 weeks). you would think that all the warn carpeting would get replaced (both in staterooms and public areas, toilet seats (mine was chipped) replaced, etc.

I imagine that they fix the problems that they know about. However, these problems need to be brought to their attention for them to fix them. That means that either a room steward or a guest needs to report that the carpeting is worn. NOBODY ELSE NECESSARILY GOES INTO THE CABINS TO SEE THE WEAR AND TEAR! The steward should be reporting problems, but if he/she doesn't have the same standards as the guests, it doesn't hurt to make a comment.

Or, perhaps, they should do a room-by-room inspection at the start of a long drydock. I'm sure they prefer to know all of the repairs they'll have to make in advance before they enter drydock.

Archived