Stockholm and then Bergen, Norway

12B@C

We are considering staying in Stockholm for a day or two and then go to Norway after our cruise in the Baltic. (London, St. Petersburg, Stockholm).

Has anyone done that kind of post cruise excursion? Any suggestions about hotels in Stockholm and how to travel in Scandinavia? I understand that the train from Oslo to Bergen through the mountains is fantastic.

Your comments would be highly appreciated.

We'll be visiting Stockholm in June 2008 at the end of a cruise. I've made reservations at Hotel Rival. Owned by Benny Andersson of ABBA fame. Rated #1 hotel in Stockholm per Trip Advisor. It's spendy, but it appears all hotels in Stockholm are, particularly during the week.

Joe

Thank you Joe and LHT28. I checked the web site for Norway and will look into some of those excursions. The hotel in Stockholm looks good also.

I am still interested if anyone has traveled from Stockholm to Bergen and how they did it. We are tentatively thinking of flying or bussing it to Oslo first and then take the train to Bergen.

Anyone familiar with that??????

I wonder if you would get a better response on the trip advisior, Fodor's or Frommers forums

also the Baltic

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

People here may do the port city and surrounding area but maybe not travel bewtween the countries .

There was a site for scandinavian that had ways to travel through the areas ...will see if I can find it. I remember ordering brochures from then when we did the Baltic cruise.

Lyn

I will check out the info you gave me. We have lots of time, but I always like to do a bit of planning before hand.

The reason for the Bergen interest is that my wife's ancestors came from a small town along one of the fjords just north of Bergen. We might rent a car and drive up there one day.

Any additional info would be appreciated.

• 1 year later...

We did something similar 8 years ago, when we had a Renaissance cruise that ended in Stockholm. We stayed on a couple more days and then flew to Billund to visit a Danish friend near Aarhus for another week.

We were happy with our hotel in Stockholm (a modest ***) but when I recommended the hotel to someone about a year ago she told me it seemed like a flophouse now (she was going by the description, not a personal visit). I don't know so I'm refraining from recommending it again!

I would not think that getting to Bergen from Stockholm would be so difficult. If getting to Billund was easy, then it should also be easy to get to Bergen. But that's just my impression! It was probably cheaper in May 2001 ...

We were in Bergen for a day in July 1975 (!) prior to boarding the mail boat for the trip to the North Cape. Nowadays there are real cruise ships but back then, it was the mail boat. This was a great trip ... and we really enjoyed our brief time in Bergen. My mother's parents came to the U.S. from Norway but I never had information about there location so we were unable to do any family visits. I envy you!

Mura

We took an "on our own" Tour of Stockholm to Copenhagan after our cruise in 2007. Total 14 days. Stayed in Stockholm 3 days Hotel Reisen. Took First ClassTrain to Oslo, Norway ,great views and very confortable. Two days Bristol Hotel. Took train to Bergen, Norway with wonderful mountan views. Four days Clarion Admiral Hotel. Toured Fjords and City. Flew to Copenhagen for touring and return trip to US. All this was done on the internet prior to trip and we had no problems. Would be happy to provide more information. Barry and Joan

We rented a car in the 70's and drove from Stockholm to Bergen without any problem.

We have driven from Oslo to Bergen both one way and return by rental car a few times in recent years - over the mountains (which is an easy day's drive), and around the southern coast, where we stayed overnight in Stavanger, a beautiful city which I highly recommend.

Our daughter spent a year in Norway and took the train from Oslo to Bergen several times. She said that the scenery is spectacular.

Whichever mode of transportation you choose, it is a fantastic trip.

We took the train from Bergen to Oslo Jul 2000, after a cruise along the Norwegian Coast on the Hurtigruten. Very pretty train trip.

From Oslo we flew down to Paris to see expatriate daughter and grandkiddies, who were living in Paris at the time.

I don't recall the name of the hotel where we stayed in Bergen, and in Oslo we didn't require a hotel.

When we did the Baltic on Regatta, Aug 05, Copenhagen to London, we stopped and saw same daughter and family, now living in Surrey, England.

In June 2007, as part of a land tour, we flew first to St. Petersburg, then to Helsinki, then Copenhagen, then overnight ferry to Oslo, then combination of bus and rail to Bergen, then flew to Stockholm, and flew home from there. The day-trip "Norway in a Nutshell" rail and fjord boat cruise is very worthwhile. You will enjoy Bergen, which has a lot of interesting Hanseatic League sites, and is a very walkable town. Oslo has the wonderful Viking ship museum, as well as a very modern Nobel Prize museum and Vigeland sculpture park. Of course, the Vasa Museum in Stockholm is stupendous, and Stockholm also is a very walkable city.

I recommend that you consult the Rick Steves' Scandinavia guidebook for transportation options. He always supplies the most practical transportation advise, as well as excellent walking tours and museum tours. Be forwarned, however, that the prices in Scandinavia proper, especially Norway, are very high.

Archived