Rome pickpockets

I was in Miami waiting for a cruise at the start of sept, a tourist from Europe was shot dead, if you say Naples is dirty and unsafe then ditto Miami, what are miami dade doing about it

Shot dead at the port? :eek:

I hate Miami and I was born there. :(

After reading all the posts on the pickpocket problem in Europe, I wanted tp be ready. For my trip to Europe, this past July, I brought a neck pouch and a Pacsafe Metro 200. Never used the neck pouch once! I felt totally safe and secure with the Pacsafe...if fact, there were times when I had trouble getting it open! I would recommend it highly!

I carry a satchel-type purse with things like makeup, brushes, sunglasses, etc., in other words, things that wouldn't break my heart if they went missing. Then I wear a money belt under my clothes with my money, credit cards and ID. I usually wear jeans when ashore, and most jeans have that little pocket inside the right pocket. I keep a $20 bill there in case I see something on the street that I want to buy in a hurry. That way I can just take it out without digging under my shirt into my money belt. Then when I'm in a safer spot I restock the cash. That pocket is more awkward to get into, and even if it is pickpocketed, at least it's only $20.

Friend of my dad's just got back from Rome where he was pickpocketed by a group of "eastern Europeans" on a train. They basically bum rushed him, with lot of shoving and pushing. Apparently it almost got to the point where fisticuffs had to ensue.

Now how he didn't realize that it was a setup for a pickpocketing is a bit beyond me, but that's probably a tale for another day. Anyway, in the hour it took for him to reach his destination and phone to cancel his various credit cards they'd already been able to do $10k in damage.

So I guess I take from this:

1) Be on alert for these buggers in the first place.

2) Use the proper precautions in securing your stuff.

3) If someone gets in your face, you may have to be equally agressive to get out of the situation. But be careful that you don't endanger your well being.

4) If something like this does happen, first thing you need to do is check that you still have everything that you should (although by checking for your wallet/valuables you might also be indicating where they can be found for a second try, so a little care is needed).

5) Carry the information you need to cancel your cards with you if you can, and a method by which you can communicate the loss without delay.

Same thing happened in Barcelona. Buy a money belt or pants wallet or don't carry a wallet. put wallet or what ever in side pocket and twist the pocket

We just returned from the Med Sept 7. If it's any comfort, we saw no pickpockets, didn't hear of any nor did we experience any. I carried a pacsafe messenger bag and used a bra stash. Never felt threatened. Visited Barcelona, Athens, Rome, etc. Other stops I carried an over the shoulder tote. Never a hint of problems.

I hear more stories like yours SuzyQ and that's a huge relief for me. I also purchased a pacsafe handbag (it looks more like a messenger bag, IMO).

I really hope that more than two people have read this thread AND watched the youtube videos since Andym and I have posted them. It's important to see how they operate so you're aware.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I find this slightly offensive. Is it safe to walk around cities in the USA with a wallet in your back pocket? I doubt it. Some people are making it sound as though 'Europe' is some backward place where everyone is out to get you.

Fascinating!

Keep things in perspective and travel with common sense. Oh and leave anything 'flashy' on the ship.

Teresa

My husband keeps his wallet in his back pocket. Cash in his front pocket.

We just returned from a cruise to Bermuda out of Baltimore. We spent a day in Baltimore and a day in Washington, D.C....also walked around at night, rode the trains, placed my purse next to me at restaurants, etc.. We never gave theft a thought! I sure hope it will be the same way when we tour take in June.

I do have to wonder, are there thieves that will try to rob you by making you take off the "flashy", or does that just alert them to someone who is wealthy? How about engagement rings? I never take mine off. I also have a diamond pendant that I never take off. other rings, I can leave in a safe and have to wear on the ship, but are hotel safes...SAFE?

We've gone through scenarios of food or pidgeon poop on clothes, crowds of children, women grabbing him in places they shouldn't be, baby tossing (yikes!),

Please explain that one! :eek:

I usually carry my camera in my hand with the camera strap wound around my wrist (after all there's no point having it put away when you need to take the photo right then!),

I agree with you! I take photos constantly. In fact I enjoy my trips more after I return and am able to look through all the pictures.

.I wish I could get one of those exploding dye packs to put in a decoy wallet........and then watch what happens....;)

I was thinking the same thing when ready this thread. That would be great! How about carrying mace?

Ahhhh. The good ole "Baby Tossing" secenario. This actually happened to us a few years ago on a visit to Bologna. We were approched by a gypsy woman (in her 40s) who first tried to pick my pocket. I easily foiled that attempt and I had nothing of value in that pocket. Than, she tried to toss me her baby (which or course was a good look-alike doll) which we let crash to the ground (the doll did not cry). Than when she reached for my other pocket that really had my money, I started hitting her with my tote umbrella. She still went for my pocket at which point a slammed my hand into her chest and she finally got the hint, gave me a dirty look and off she went. The funny thing was this all happened in the middle of the day at a very busy section of the city. A few passerbys laughed in amusement when I shoved the gypsy, but there were no police when they could have been helpful. Before anyone jumps to conclusions about gypsies in Italy, we have also had run-ins with other gypsies in Spain (near San Sebastian), France (in Arles), and had to fend off some pickpocket kids in Istanbul. It just goes with the territory and after more than 30 years of traveling to and around Europe we have only had to deal with those 3 attempts. We have also practiced a lot of theft avoidance techniques when we have our rental cars (never leave your car unattended at a highway rest stop when its full of luggage). So far the score is Hank 3, Gypsies 0 but my DW does deserve some of the credit cause she is a great lookout! :)

Hank

Oh my! :eek:

I have been reading this thread on and off most of the day. We have 7 family members going on our cruise. I know that I will be watching out for these "scams", but I don't think that most other family members are taking me seriously about what goes on over in Europe (I know my DH isn't!) My sister-in-law has traveled to Europe twice, so she is aware and takes precautions. I especially worry about my 80 something parents. I am afraid that one of them will get hurt during a pic-pocket staging event. :( I sent a link - to this thread - to everyone and hope they read it!

Like SuzyQ--we just returned from a Med Cruise (Voyager of the Seas).

We did NOT encounter one pickpocket. Although we were warned by the tour guide in Pisa/Florence (we did Pisa/Florence on your own. This was on the bus to the sites)--but we had no issues.

Neither did we have issues in Rome, Amalfi Coast or Sicily.

And...I DID where all my regular jewelery, which consisted of diamond wedding sets, and gold rings/necklaces.

Bottom line--be aware of your surroundings. Keep your personal items (money, passport, id, credit cards, etc)--well hidden and safe. Be a SMART traveler. We were cautious, especially in crowds.

We did encounter pickpockets in Paris (on the metro) and in London a few years back--but did not in Italy. WE did see gypsies and were approached by them--but just walked away.

We honeymooned for 2 weeks in Italy almost 20 years ago, and I see that nothing has changed.

I carried all the important documents in a fanny pack under a bulky sweater that had a huge safety pin locking it and then had it safety pinned again to my clothing.

Folks that live there said that everyone has a lock on their backpacks.

I have been in Rome in November/December and never had any problems. Could it be that the kids are in school and the gypsy's can not do it by themselves? I have heard of woman with the big skirts and they open their skirts and kids come from underneath to approach you.

I have been in Rome in November/December and never had any problems. Could it be that the kids are in school and the gypsy's can not do it by themselves? I have heard of woman with the big skirts and they open their skirts and kids come from underneath to approach you.

Perhaps the gypsies take their vacations in November/December :)

Hank

When we used to go down to our local city, we would see a family of Gypsies selling lucky heather etc. We once went on holiday to the coast and the same familly were there selling their goods.

Gypsies obviously take vacations as well.

When we used to go down to our local city, we would see a family of Gypsies selling lucky heather etc. We once went on holiday to the coast and the same familly were there selling their goods.

Gypsies obviously take vacations as well.

Yeah! On every one else's dollar! :eek:

Good point about children being out of school. Are they out already in early June ?

There is a big difference between the pickpockets in Europe and in NYC. In Europe they are very skilled, seldom cause any physical harm, and are just trying to make a living like generations of their ancestors. In NYC they have little skill, will simply shoot or disable the victim, and have no class! Only teasing,

Hank

After reading so much information on the boards about pick-pockets I must say that it has now become a real concern for me when our family travels to Europe in the Spring. I didn't realize how common it was there.

I guess you hope for the best and plan for the worst. Hopefully it will not be a problem for us - we will be there 2 weeks.

After reading so much information on the boards about pick-pockets I must say that it has now become a real concern for me when our family travels to Europe in the Spring. I didn't realize how common it was there.

I guess you hope for the best and plan for the worst. Hopefully it will not be a problem for us - we will be there 2 weeks.

Now that you are aware of the potential problem, you should take a few simple precautions to protect your valuables ( a good idea on any trip). We have been traveling in Europe for about 40 years and never lost a dime (or Euro) to a pickpocket (knock on wood). Some precautions are so darn basic (put a rubber bank around wallets and never carry in back pocket, wear purses cross-shoulder and keep closed (my wife uses a diaper pin to fully secure)), do not allow yourself to get distracted by stupid-person tricks such as somebody spilling something on your clothes, etc).

Hank

Archived