Rome pickpockets

Can someone tell me the best way to travel with a camera and lens? Throw it in a backpack or use my camera case. I realize regardless of what I use, the fact that I'm snapping pictures will be a sure sign that I'm a tourist.

I would like to think my camera case would be okay as it slings over one shoulder and hangs at the opposite waist and doesn't have any markings on it... vs. lugging around a backpack which I think would be harder to keep track of. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I usually carry my camera in my hand with the camera strap wound around my wrist (after all there's no point having it put away when you need to take the photo right then!), and if I want to take with me my lenses, flash, monopod and all the other paraphenalia then they go in a separate camera bag which I carry over my shoulder, but with the trap round my neck so it hangs down the opposite side. That way nobody can give it a tug and pull it off.

I now also carry a battery operated stand alone hard drive which I keep in the room safe, and back my photos up each night just in case.

Paul S

I usually carry my camera in my hand with the camera strap wound around my wrist (after all there's no point having it put away when you need to take the photo right then!), and if I want to take with me my lenses, flash, monopod and all the other paraphenalia then they go in a separate camera bag which I carry over my shoulder, but with the trap round my neck so it hangs down the opposite side. That way nobody can give it a tug and pull it off.

I now also carry a battery operated stand alone hard drive which I keep in the room safe, and back my photos up each night just in case.

Paul S

thanks! that's helpful. i will do the same as you.

This whole issue has really made me sad (& nervous) ....here we are heading off to see some of the most cultrual & enlightened places on earth & we have to deal with this--one wonders why the cities over there do not clean it up--- NY used to be a cesspool until Rudy G stepped in & cleaned it up--Rather than laugh it off they should take some pride & make a change! Having children trained as theives from birth is certainly a form of child abuse & exploitation...

This whole issue has really made me sad (& nervous) ....here we are heading off to see some of the most cultrual & enlightened places on earth & we have to deal with this--one wonders why the cities over there do not clean it up--- NY used to be a cesspool until Rudy G stepped in & cleaned it up--Rather than laugh it off they should take some pride & make a change! Having children trained as theives from birth is certainly a form of child abuse & exploitation...

Europeans are probably more worried to visit the US than we are to go there. Have you ever read any of the travel boards for those coming to the US. I personally feel very safe in every city I have traveled in Europe, I can not always say the same for all the places I have been here in the US. There are areas in my own home town I wouldn't walk at night or drive through without locking my car doors.

we just got back from sailing on the Freedom and stayed 2 days prior in Rome. I used a roots bag that I slung over across my chest so it was right in front of me. My money was in a zippered place in the purse then the purse was zipped again. I always had my hand on it and my camera was inside too it fit just right. At the Trevi Fountain my daugher noticed someone watching me and my purse but he moved along to an easier target...just be careful keep your eyes open ....

• 1 month later...

This is a great thread, but I'm feeling like whatever I end up doing isn't going to be enough.

I have a nice camera and I want to take spectacular pictures so I don't want to buy a disposable, and I don't want to hold the good one in my hand all day.

I also thought about getting a day pack, but then I was concerned about people slashing it open or getting into one of the compartments while it sits on my back out of my vision.

Forget a tote bag. Forget a handbag. Everything seems like a problem! :eek:

First off the thread is more of a warning to be careful and aware. Even if your camera gets stolen - it's only a camera. Make sure to backup the pictures daily (either have multiple cards or bring a computer or use the ones on the ship). You should do that even if you're not worried about getting the camera stolen.

We bought a pacsafe (http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php) bag that is supposed to be slash proof. I don't know if they are, but it definitely made us feel more comfortable walking around. And we had a great trip.

Hi Dede, It's really not that bad ... as others have mentioned use common sense and be aware of your surroundings. I carried a small backpack, DH carried the cameras in cases (small one attached to his belt and larger one slung over his shoulder.) We used subways, buses, travelled through train stations and walked everywhere ....without problems. If I sat down to eat or relax, my backpack stayed on me...not on the floor. On crowded subways and buses, I wore my backpack on my front.

I have a friend whose mother walked out of a hair salon in Florida during mid-day ...a young person saw her, ran past tearing her purse off of her shoulder and knocking her down. I don't think many places are immune from thieves....my hometown included. :(

We bought a pacsafe (http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php) bag that is supposed to be slash proof. I don't know if they are, but it definitely made us feel more comfortable walking around. And we had a great trip.
I was looking at this little (?) back pack :) Is this what you got?

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=59&features=antiTheft

Hi Dede, It's really not that bad ... as others have mentioned use common sense and be aware of your surroundings. I carried a small backpack, DH carried the cameras in cases (small one attached to his belt and larger one slung over his shoulder.) We used subways, buses, travelled through train stations and walked everywhere ....without problems. If I sat down to eat or relax, my backpack stayed on me...not on the floor. On crowded subways and buses, I wore my backpack on my front.

DH carries 2 camera cases? He must love that! :D

Thanks for reassuring me :)

I always wonder about the people who live there. What do they do? What precautions do they take? Do they have steel reinforced handbags and silky wallets down their pants? LOL :p

We bought this (http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=57) which didn't hold much at all, but it could hold some money and the pocket camera we have and a few other things. But it did seem like a sturdy bag. You can search this site and there are other reviews for the pacsafe product line.

DH carries 2 camera cases? He must love that! :D

Thanks for reassuring me :)

Yes - he is a bit of a 'photo fanatic' - but the small camera in the belt case is the size of a deck of cards. Sometimes he would carry both cameras...other times just one.

I always wonder about the people who live there. What do they do? What precautions do they take? Do they have steel reinforced handbags and silky wallets down their pants? LOL :p

I don't think they bother their own .... or young travellers (my daughter travelled on her own in Italy with a backpack and said that she never felt like a target for pickpockets ... she was aware that they were after more affluent tourists.):)

Well, remember they don't hang around in droves around the Colosseum, Piazza Navona, etc. Just as New Yorkers wouldn't be found at the Empire State Building or Statue of Liberty (unless showing visitors around).

The thieves also realize that tourists are easy marks (don't know their surroundings, paying attention to other things) and that they are more likely than locals to be carrying around a substantial amount of money.

I wouldn't worry too much. You do what you can to be safe and just enjoy yourself. Most crimes in Rome are nonviolent, whereas you're much more likely to be shot in my city (Atlanta). If that's my choice, then you're welcome to my wallet!

A co-worker just returned from Italy two days ago. We sat in a meeting this morning discussing her trip--as I leave in two days to go on our cruise/trip.

The subjects of pickpockets came up in our discussion--and she said "Oh my God--it's terrible there!"

While she wasn't bothered--two other people in her same group were hit while entering the train in Rome.

She said both people pick-pocketed were way laid by a group, of very pretty young girls, dressed very nicely and saying "Let us help you...". While one distracted, the other snatched items.

Neither of the pickpocketed people realized they had lost items until they got to their destinations and reached to take out wallets to pay for something. :eek:

My coworker--wore her bag over her shoulder--zipped--and held it close to her in the front.

I have bought a pacsafe sling. Not very fashionable--but then again, I'm not walking the runways in Milan or Paris either. :p ;)

And my DH and I have money pouches that fit under our clothes.

Just be cautious and aware of your surrounds. Don't be an easy 'mark'.

DH and I will be in Rome for 4 nights in October prior to our Galaxy cruise. He will be in a wheelchair, and I will be pushing. We will not use public transportation but will take taxis to different parts of the city and then explore. I know all the things to do to protect money, credit cards, passports, etc.

What I'm curious about is whether we will more likely be targeted since DH will be in the wheelchair. Any thoughts?

DH and I will be in Rome for 4 nights in October prior to our Galaxy cruise. He will be in a wheelchair, and I will be pushing. We will not use public transportation but will take taxis to different parts of the city and then explore. I know all the things to do to protect money, credit cards, passports, etc.

What I'm curious about is whether we will more likely be targeted since DH will be in the wheelchair. Any thoughts?

I certainly hope not.. just remember to keep valuables in inside waist or neck wallets and do not have a handbag dangling from your arm as you are pushing the wheelchair.. enjoy your vacation..

I was worried about to do with my small digital camera, too. I want it available but not always in my hand. I got on line and found a stote called Wolfe's camera store, or something like that. ANYWAY, I actually called their 800# and spoke to a real person :D and ended up ordering two slash proof neck straps meant for small digital cameras. I think they were about $14.00 ea and came in about ten days. While in China I carried my camera on a woven lanyard around my neck and never had any problems. However it was chilly when I was there so I almost always had on a jacket or a vest so my camera wasn't hanging out for all to see. I had it in a case in my pocket in the Vancouver, BC airport and some dirty dog made off w/ my camera and all my vacation pictures . :mad: Luckily DH had HIS camera put away so we did have some pictures to post on our web page. Live and learn, eh? Hopefully this slash proof strap will be the right answer for having our cameras available AND safe!

Just another idea. MG :)

This is a great thread, but I'm feeling like whatever I end up doing isn't going to be enough.

I have a nice camera and I want to take spectacular pictures so I don't want to buy a disposable, and I don't want to hold the good one in my hand all day.

I also thought about getting a day pack, but then I was concerned about people slashing it open or getting into one of the compartments while it sits on my back out of my vision.

Buonjourno from rainy Venice!

DH and I both used a PacSafe Metrosafe 200 bag, big enough for my camera and lens and water and umbrella, travel books, etc. There are convenient places for money, credit cards, phones and anything else you want to carry. The zippers lock when you want things extra secure and the straps unhook to go around a chair or table leg when sitting. They are also slashproof with a great strap for wearing across your chest. That being said, as long as we were alert and smart (not leaving the bag open with money exposed while we were distracted), we were just fine in Barcelona on La Rambla, Rome, Florence and everywhere else we traveled. The pickpockets go for the easy targets. If you look confident and alert, even while looking like a tourist, they'll move on. Be smart and enjoy!

Buonjourno from rainy Venice!

The pickpockets go for the easy targets. If you look confident and alert, even while looking like a tourist, they'll move on. Be smart and enjoy!

We have bought a couple of pacsafe products and I think it shows the thieves that you are at least aware of their presence which is a deterrent. Also the zippers that lock just take the easiness out of it for them. Be alert but not alarmed

Thank you for all your input!

I have done so much research on these pacsafe products - they look really nice. For those of you who purchased a bag like that I have a question:

Did you also buy a moneybelt for inside your clothes?

So many people do both, but I was wondering if it's necessary with a steel-belted handbag.

Threads like this scared the heck out of me prior to my cruise last month. So my friend and I bought the neck wallets just to be safe. Honestly it became more of an annoyance if anything. In Italy we were in Venice, Rome, Sorrento, and Pompeii. There was maybe all of a few minutes when I felt uncomfortable during these visits.

We used the neck wallets the first day in Venice until we quickly realized that the city was very safe so we didn't bother with them the next two days.

In Rome again we used them the first day of touring but after seeing that the city was just as normal and "safe" as any American city we didn't use them the next day. With the heat, they just became uncomfortable to have under our shirts even with them being made of soft, breathable material.

The only time I felt uncomfortable was at the Trevi Fountain because there were so many people crowded there and there were a lot of these suspicious looking characters hanging around selling these little noisy balls and gadgets. But I just held on to my camera tight got my shots and we quickly moved on.

I think if you are not going near the train station or using public transportation then you should be pretty safe. Just keep aware of your surroundings.

I will make a note here that we heard about some passengers on our cruise who got mugged in Naples though during our port stop. Apparently it was a drive-up where they hopped out of a car and robbed the people of their money and valuables (watches, etc.). The people were supposedly walking around a general tourist area too. We had actually talked to some cruise staff prior to arriving at Naples who warned us to stay out of the city because it was dirty and unsafe.

We had actually talked to some cruise staff prior to arriving at Naples who warned us to stay out of the city because it was dirty and unsafe.

I've heard that too. You'd think the city leaders would try and do something about it. It must be costing them a fortune in tourism dollars.

Prior to my cruise earlier this month I bought a bag that fit over my shoulder across my chest to sit front facing. It held my purse,camera and a couple of extras sometimes my small video camera. It has a seperate compartment for my mobile. We travelled with kids so my concern was the distractions with the kids but this bag served the purpose and was always in my vision. Enjoy your trip and be aware in crowded places.

Archived