Rome pickpockets

Was discussing travel safety with one of my colleagues at work yesterday and he told me a tale of two Japanese friends of his who went down to Rio. They were robbed at gunpoint by a car load of thugs who pulled their taxi over on the way to their hotel from the airport. Weren't even in the country for more than 30 mintues before they were picked clean.

At least Europe isn't that bad! At least not yet.

Here's another "Nothing happened" post. I've been travelling since June 1987 (30 years ago???? WOW) and I've never been robbed, pickpocketed, or grabbed in Europe.

Nooooo, that's only 20 years ago! I suddenly felt very old when I read this LOL!

Here's another "traveled all over" and never had a problem. Could just be dumb luck for me, but I'll definitely be a bit more careful on next year's cruise.

Nothing serious has ever happened to me. I live in what we think of as a safe place in Europe. The one time I had my bag stolen I was at work (in a medical centre) I had left my bag unsupervised in a room for several hours. Not surprising really.

The funny thing was that I had forgotten my purse that day, and only 2 days before had taken out my passport from a previous holiday. thief got away with a McDonald happy meal toy, a packet of cup a soup and a spare pair of socks.

I actually smiled when I realised. They must have been so sick when they opened the bag. :D :D :D

When I shop in the grocery store, I put my purse in the cart and often walk away from it, turn my back, etc. When I go to a restaurant, I always place my purse over the back of my chair.

I have to admit, I'd be leary about those two even in the US. I'd say someone grabbing an unattended purse in a shopping cart is far more common than pickpocketing in the US. Purse over the back of a chair probably isn't quite as bad, although if it's outdoor seating I'd worry more about it.

Pickpocketing can happen anywhere. We had our cell phone stolen at the Vatican! It was the only thing of any value in the outside zipper pocket of our backpack. What we learned: If you are wearing a backpack, don't put your valuables in it.

A new amazing didn't get robbed. DH just went to a Phillies game and I trusted him with my good camera(he was going to walk the bases after the game) and binocs in my good camera bag. Apparently they ate in Harry Ks and he left the camera bag on the back of the chair and forgot it when they returned to their seats before the game started, would you believe it was still there in the second inning? Boy is he ever lucky!!

Thanks to everyone for turning this thread to a more positive direction, we do all have to remember how lucky we are to travel and to be able to share hints and tips without being afraid. And yes--even in Yellowstone I have mad money stuffed in my bra--at my age no one is going to find it there.

Thanks for a very helpful link

Our neighbor did a 3 wk land trip to Italy & was pickpocketed on the train. Aftre realizing it , he caught the guy & offered him a choice--continue to breathe or return the wallet. The wallet suddenly dropped to the floor. I could not do this nor is it recommended but it worked for him! So instead we will follow the cautions provided in this thread & on the link above...

• 3 weeks later...

Gosh--two more stories-- someone I work with (a yong person) travelled with a group in Rome on the train -- gypsies surounded the group & they pulled the pouches from their necks--so much for the pouches! Friend said they swarm you so fast--

Another person was on a cruise on Brilliance two weeks ago & also took the train in Rome--lost his wallet & original passport to a pickpocket & had to stay behind his family two days after the cruise in order get dup docs--

I tried convincing DH to skip going into Rome & maybe seeing something else on that port day but he insists on seeing the Roman stuff---- No way we will be on the train & will not misplace reliance on the pouches!

Sounds like it is busy crook season over there!

As a flight attendant, I have traveled to many countries. I often visit a city alone and on foot on my long layovers. I have never had a problem in ANY city.

The strongest advice I can give came from my brothers who are police officers. Always be alert, take only what you need, and keep your eyes open and your head up! If you appear distracted and unaware (in any city) you may become their next target. Confidence scares them off.

When I do carry a bag, I bring a purse that has a zipper at the top. Just travel light. The less you have to keep track of the better right? Keep an eye on your things and you will be just fine.

As for the camera. I bring it everywhere, and it does not fit in my pocket. Wouldn't it be a shame to NOT capture the 'Perfect Kodak Moment' because you left your camera behind???

Happy and SAFE travels!

Trish

I tried convincing DH to skip going into Rome & maybe seeing something else on that port day but he insists on seeing the Roman stuff---- No way we will be on the train & will not misplace reliance on the pouches!

While I understand your concern--I think it would be sad to miss a beautiful day in glorious Rome because you were concerned about pickpockets and theives. :(

Take the smart and wise advice given here by seasoned travelers (as well as Rick Steves) and you should be fine on your day in Rome. :)

Another person was on a cruise on Brilliance two weeks ago & also took the train in Rome--lost his wallet & original passport to a pickpocket & had to stay behind his family two days after the cruise in order get dup docs--

I was planning on leaving my original Passport in the Ship's Safe in all our ports and just travelling with a copy on my person. Is there a reason I need to carry it with me in the ports???

The strongest advice I can give came from my brothers who are police officers. Always be alert, take only what you need, and keep your eyes open and your head up! If you appear distracted and unaware (in any city) you may become their next target. Confidence scares them off.

That is such good advice. Pickpockets like most criminals CHOOSE their mark! If you are aware and scanning the environment they will see you, register your awareness and move on to the next, less fortunate tourist. This doesn't make you immune but it does reduce your risk.

Gosh--two more stories-- someone I work with (a yong person) travelled with a group in Rome on the train -- gypsies surounded the group & they pulled the pouches from their necks--so much for the pouches! Friend said they swarm you so fast--

Rome is the best city on the planet, in my opinion, and shouldn't be missed for anything!

Years ago, I worked in Eastern Europe, in a large city that was also home to 30,000 gypsies and no, that is not a typo. They would have killed us for a US dollar bill, let alone a US passport--in fact, they did kill several (non-American) people IN BROAD DAYLIGHT while I lived there. It was no joke!

The natives gave us a foolproof way to get them to leave you alone: when you see them hovering anywhere near you, make it very clear to them that you see them, and that you know what they're up to. For some reason, honest folks try not to make a stink when they're faced with a pickpocket or other creep in a public place; maybe we're partly embarassed for them, and party afraid for ourselves. But don't worry about being polite! If you glare at them, clutch your purse to your hip with an exaggerated motion, and make a big production of getting some distance away from them, they realize that you're on to them and they will leave you alone. Or if they get near you on a crowded bus, sigh loudly, glare, and then push past other people to get away from them. The reason for their thieving success is that visitors either aren't paying attention or don't recognize the threat--and this is what they thrive on, folks who have their guard down. If you make clear that your guard is up, they'll look for someone else.

The natives were right! This advice has proved good for me on countless occasions, in many different European cities, including Rome.

[quote name=

Any comments / suggestions (especially re: the camera and the cell phone) are appreciated.

Thanks.[/quote]

the only suggestion i give everyone with cameras... take along several disks for the digital camera and put the used ones in a safe in the ship or hotel. Do not keep all your pictures on one disk!. When I travel i carry 3-5 disks (they are so cheap now ie 512k SD is under $10) so i just have a day or two of pictures to lose with the camera. Also take a second camera or be prepared to buy a new one on the trip...BUT don't loss all the pictures from your vaction.

My wife and I went to Europe last fall and had no problems with pickpockets. One thing we have decided to help prevent being a target is that we ONLY take our camera around my neck and we both have a money belt. I am very aware of the people around me and have had no problems. I have been to many European cities and never had a problem. I think this thread's main purpose is to make the naive people a little more aware of their surroundings and with that, their trip to Europe or wherever they travel to more enjoyable.

I was a bit nervous about being pickpocketed in many of our stops. My husband carried a back pack and put twist ties on the zippers just to make it a bit more inconvenient if someone were to try to get into it. I had a small purse that I kept the zippers towards the front and we carried our camera in our hand.

I commented when we returned home that we never even had anyone brush up against us or and never did see any gypsies or commotion in any of the cities we visited. Our driver warned us to be aware and where the pick pockets were likely to strike. He also said if we should encounter any to make alot of noise to call attention to the situation.

I guess we just didn't look like an easy mark. Just enjoy the city and be aware, you shouldn't have any problems.

Just returned from the 12 day Emerald Princess Med/ Greek island cruise. Decided to do most of the ports independantly including Naples and Pompei by local train and bus. Never felt uncomfortable anywhere although we were vigilant until we got JFK and had considerable delays. DH was surrounded by a group of "travellers who had their eye on his Rolex so he removed it as unobtrusively as possible and left it off till we had made our connecting flight, and he was paranoid about Naples!!!

Just back from a 7 day cruise and no one was a victim. We all had either money belts or inside pockets for cash and credit cards and purses over the shoulder with clips for extras. We did see several occasions where people were victims. One group of kids had a wallet taken from somewhere up the street emptied it then threw it down. Another thing we saw was the police chased a man and eventually caught him frisked him and checked out a plastic bag he was carrying. It had nothing in it. After he was released we followed him and watched while he retreived another plastic bag out of a garbage can filled with cash and wallets. These people are fast and smart. Just be smarter.

Since this is a neverending thread, and the posts are more than enough to scare even my dog (she is long dead) I feel compelled to post a few postive comments. Some of you might know (from my many other posts) that we have been doing a lot of international travel for a lot of years. This pickpocket thing is a bit overblown, although it is certainly a factor when you travel anywhere in Europe (or even in the USA). But, its not nearly as bad as portrayed. As has been said many times, you need to take some good common-sense precautions and always be alert to your surroundings. One very helpful method of prevention is to simply look (and act) like you are comfortable in your environment. When we travel in Europe we can almost pick out the potential "targets" as they will usually be dressed like fools (nice jewelry, sandels with socks (I would pickpocket those folks), etc) and acting like lost sheep. For heaves sake, try to act like you know what you are doing even when you do not have a clue. Gypsies are professionals and target those that look like easy targets. Lastly, if by chance you do get approached by one or more gypsies that try to distract you, pick your pocket, etc...do not hesitate to raise your voice and attract a lot of attention. And if you ever see a gypsy woman in Bologna who is in her 40s, carrying a baby (probably a doll) and covered with bruises on her arm, that is the lady a bashed about 20 times with my tote umbrella as she tried to pick my pocket. As the last poster said, "just be smarter" than the bad guys/gals and they will leave you alone.

Hank

From my experience they work in teams. Some guys in my unit and I were in Rome seeing some history when a suicidal PP decided to try his luck. If they were watching us, it must not have been for long because the 6 of us were walking together, etc. A buddy stopped to buy a t-shirt near the subway stop outside of the Colosseum when another buddy saw a PP put his hand in his pocket an instant after the monetary exchange with the vendor was made and the wallet was put back into the pocket. He grabbed the guy and twisted hard, wallet fell to the ground. Two other PPs(assumed) came out of nowhere and a wrestling match turned into a scrum with fists flying. PPs are sneaky but hand-to-hand combat is not their specialty, especially when outnumbered 6 to 3. One broken wrist and two broken noses later, theirs not ours, and we had our wallet back and were on our way. We work hard to project a positive image in the countries we visit but it happened so fast we didn't have time to consider being ugly Americans and we were cursed pretty heavily by the locals(non-English speakers) nearby and even a few other American(English speaking) tourists that did not see how it started. We abandoned our goal of entering the Colosseum and vacated the area.

DeepSea: congratulations on putting up a united front against the thieves. It really irks me that they are so blatant about what they do and it's as if it is their right to take what doesn't belong to them. I guess my only concern when getting involved physically as you and your group did, was that the local officials might not look on you kindly and you'd end up in jail instead of the pick pocketers! Well done, though, it's good to hear.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Archived