Rome pickpockets

I didn't either. And I have lived in Europe most of my life :)

Without being pickpocketed.

Take some precaution if you feel better that way but don't be scared.

I agree with this. I just returned from a transatlantic cruise with stops in many of the cities discussed on the board. I had one encounter with a pickpocket team in Barcelona (no problems or confrontation). I bought a secure messenger bag from Travel Smith that has zipper pockets within zipper pockets and a steel cable in its strap (incase someone razors the strap to make off with the bag. The strap is long enough to allow you to wear it cross-body (EVERYone does that, especially in Spain where pickpocketing seems especially prevalent these days). The bag was small enough to fit against my body and under my arm, but big enough for a small camera, guide book, phrase book, and whatever novel I was reading (these went in outside pockets).

I also carried minimal cash and one credit card. My money, card, ID, and camera were buried in the bag and out only to be used. I tried to be careful where I opened the bag (not out in public if possible where prying eyes could see where I was stowing things). I tried to keep a very close eye on what was happening around me and especially what other people were doing.

Pickpockets like most criminals look for the easy targets. If you are well protected enough to make it harder (even just a bit harder) they will look elsewhere for an easier mark. Before I left I read a lot of advice on the boards about not being scared, but being careful and aware. That proved to be absolutely right.

We were four older ladies gone to Europe for over 3 weeks,got on Med. cruise for 2 weeks,traveling local transportations all cities without any problem, we all had money belts with us.So if you be a little careful about your belongings there is no problem.

We visit Barcelona a lot for long weekends it is very cheap and easy to fly from John Lennon Airport in Liverpool. Never had a problem, yes there are pickpockets, but if you read the reviews of people from the U S who have stated that they have had no problems recently I was thinking that this may relate to the fact that the Dollar is so weak? regards

We returned from our three weeks vacation in Europe and did not encounter any pickpockets. Me and my wife are in out late 20's and my parent are in mid 60's. We didn't see any pickpocketer (I would have thought that they target old people). We are not alwasy together on our cruise excursions. We went to most of the tourist spots in London, Paris, Brussels, Lisbon, Barcelona, Naples, Florence, and Rome. At the end of our trip we were even disappointed to not see any action when we were all prepared with the money belt and the neck-wallet. We even joked about if we see one we will just raise our hands in the air and let them pick our pocket. I only wear my neck-wallet on the first day. After that I just put my wallet in my normal place, in the front pocket of my jeans. My dad put a wallet in his back pocket as a decoy when he has his money belt with him.

Most of the tourist spots in Europe where there are a lot of people do have police aound (Colesium, trevi fountain, spanish steps, Vatican city, etc.). Not to be discouraging about the pickpocket but I think if you are aware of it then you should be OK.

On our recent trip:

The well-dressed pickpockets were out at the Trevi Fountain & top part of the Forum...but at the fountain an announcement was made of their presence & it was quite noticeable at the Forum that that guy just did not fit in..

In Barcelona , one woman on our cruise bought something at one of the stalls on las Ramblas & never noticed they got into her purse as she was winding up the purchase..we had no problems there but did not linger at any one place for very long..& actually wheeled quite a bit of luggage along with us to our post cruise hotel without incident.

We could not access the old Jewish synagogue in BCN's old area-- gypsies held sway at each end of the narrow street one had to pass to to get there.They started to approach us almosy immediatlely with their nonsense--felt it was not worth it to get involved so we left disppointed not to see the old synagogue,

In Pisa there were disgustingly pushy peddlers hawking real garbage that one had to pass in order to see the beautiful places & they actually grab & touch you...it should be cleaned up

ON our departure day someone at the BCN DElta counter had her handbag taken from the the wheelie lugagge cart--in it all her papers..

We did have a great time & felt Ok most of the time, even using the ATM in two ports. We followed the rules for carrying money & ourselves.. & felt alot of the security stuf we had purchased for the trip was not needed--the camera strap the pouches etc,,,

I didn't either. And I have lived in Europe most of my life :)

Without being pickpocketed.

Take some precaution if you feel better that way but don't be scared.

Carl - thee and me are equally ignorant of our home continent.

I really don't like being out in New York after dark, and places such as Miami and Detroit scare me witless - not that I've been to either.

Do you agree Carl?

Matthew

I have been pickpocketed, once in Liberia, the other time in Zambia. This is how foolish I was: In Liberia, even though I had put my passport, cash and checks in a hotel safe deposit box, I was walking around not only with my credit cards but also my U.S. green card and driver's license! Everything gone.

Getting a new green card was a particular hassle. Fortunately I was based in Johannesburg at the time and had ample time to work on it, getting certificates from Sa police that I was not wanted anywhere.

Now that I am older and hopefully somewhat wiser, I carry next to nothing on me. How much do we need to do the things we want to do in a port? If I need a credit card, one suffices. And cash you can stuff safely somewhere without a wallet. We'll take an Emerald Princess from Venice to Fort Lauderdale.

Visiting such ports as Naples and Barcelona, I now understand what a late friend of mine (in his sixties) meant when this WWII vet said he had knocked a bicyclist down on Champs Elysee, sure that the guy was about to grab something. At the time I thought it was somewhat extreme, but no longer do so.

It's too bad that Kangaroo no longer makes sneakers with a small zippered pocket on the side. I used to wear these and loved it. You could fold some emergency cash into the pocket. That's where I always kept the safe deposit key.

Thanks to everyone who has posted here!

My DH thinks that I tend to be overly cautious. However, having lived in some major cities and having traveled a bit in my life, I am quite aware of the PP situation in many cities worldwide. For me, I would prefer to live by the old "safe rather than sorry" adage and enjoy a well-deserved holiday.

I appreciate all of your posts, especially b/c they support my claim that we really need to be particularly careful on our upcoming Mediterranean cruise.

Being out after dark is not a good idea in any place you are not familiar with but the incidents decribed above were in the daytime in heavy touriast areas. Just need to be super aware. While taking photos one of us always was watching around us.... just in case!

I've done a lot of traveling and I usually only carry a few things on me in a secure pouch attached to my belt, but I was wondering how secure it is to leave things behind on the boat? Has anyone had any problems with someone stealing anything from your room? If so, any suggestions to make sure things aren't taken?

I've done a lot of traveling and I usually only carry a few things on me in a secure pouch attached to my belt, but I was wondering how secure it is to leave things behind on the boat? Has anyone had any problems with someone stealing anything from your room? If so, any suggestions to make sure things aren't taken?

Use your safe on the ship!

If the safe is the type that you use a magnetic strip card to lock it up, do not use your stateroom key. We use an old grocery store card.

If the safe uses an electronic numbering device, be sure to choose a number that is not repetitive, like 1-2-3-4 or 2-2-2-2. We use our home alarm code to make it easier to remember.

We also try not to leave anything out in the room at anytime. Once something of value is spotted, it can be very tempting to steal. This goes for room stewards, or just any passenger passing by when the door is opened for cleaning. We lock everything up from passports to cameras, to jewelry and copies of important papers.

We also try not to leave anything out in the room at anytime. Once something of value is spotted, it can be very tempting to steal. This goes for room stewards, or just any passenger passing by when the door is opened for cleaning. We lock everything up from passports to cameras, to jewelry and copies of important papers.

You're on the wrong cruise line. I'd trust our stewards completely.

Matthew

You're on the wrong cruise line. I'd trust our stewards completely.

Matthew

Good for you! ;)

So far, we have had no reason NOT to trust our stewards, but I have read post from passengers (on all lines) that have had something missing from their rooms. The only record of a key card being used to enter their stateroom, was the stewards. Could have been the steward, could have been someone passing by. A couple of times, the steward was the culprit and was fired.

The OP asked what they can do to assure their things are safe and I have answered honestly.

BTW - I trusted my cleaning lady completely. Even stuck up for her when she was accused of stealing from other customers...also taking drugs. She never stole from me, but guess what? She was caught red handed when a client set up a video surveillance. WHOOPS!

I was just about the most trusting person there is, but now I try to safeguard my property.

Just my two cents...... have you ever walked down the corridor and seen not one but a couple of cabin doors left ajar by the cleaning crew ? I too trust THEM......but not the people that walk by. We keep anything of value in the safe...... they can have my curling iron or shampoo if they want it :D

I too didn't leave any valuables laying in our stateroom. I bought a unique Hermes Scarf in Monte Carlo--and even that was locked into the safe at night, as well as my small Louis Vuitton Bag.

I literally packed that little room safe tight with items I did not want to find missing...:( They all seem very nice...but why give the room crew the temptation? Just lock it away.

I'm happy to say...I came home with all my items. And, I encountered no pick pockets while in Italy (although we were vary cautious, and took precautions).

Having grown up in NYC one would think I would be more careful...but I had my purse stolen from my car while I was pumping gas and had my back to my car in a suburban gas station in Florida.

So you can never be too careful.

It takes so little time to safeguard your money and credit cards and it's so awful trying to gather all the loose ends when you don't.

It doesn't matter where you are....just take an extra minute to secure your possessions. Trust me the extra effort is well-worth it.

My husband and I were in Rome last fall and he had his wallet stolen on the train, then RETURNED later that evening; it was found on the train tracks by an old man living in the shelter at Termini. We were visiting friends and staying about 30 minutes outside the downtown area, and had our friend's phone # inside the wallet. Nothing was missing; DH never carries cash there. And no, it wasn't the man who did it, looking for a reward. When we retrieved the wallet at the shelter, the older man asked for a JOB from my friend's husband.

DH had actually grabbed the young guy who stole the wallet and we spent over 2 hours at the Termini polizia station, with this gypsy screaming obscenities in Italian and being cavity searched in a room while we waited outside. When they let him go after finding nothing, he immediately hooked up with the same group of kids who were on the commuter train with us early in the day (yes, we followed him). Since we were then outnumbered, we let it go, but I would have preferred to further "discuss" the matter with him, NY style.

Next summer in Italy and Spain, I'm planning to place an armed mousetrap inside my coat pocket and wait for the fun to begin.

Any advice for days in BCN/spain? Most folks advice works for a day trip off a ship.

But we will be getting off the ship with our 3 pieces of small luggage (1 bag each for all clothing and toiletries and 1 bag for the camera). We plan to travel to a couple of nearby cities by train and then back to BCN for just one night.

So yes, I can look confident and aware of my surroundings with a money belt on. Of course with 3 small suitcase for 2 people, who will we be fooling?

And it sounds like no local will come to your assistance if you are approached by several assailants so I don't think yelling or a whistle is going to do much.

Any advice?

Archived