Rome pickpockets

Large memory cards are both a blessing and a curse....you no longer have to carry a bunch of them around, but loose the one with ALL your pictures on and you're messed up pretty good!

The 2gb card I have for my camera holds something like 1,200 pictures at 3000 x 2000 .jpg resolution, so I've got into the (rather bad) habit of only carrying the one in the camera.

The one piece of advice I can offer in this scenario is to still carry more than one card anyway, or take some method of backing up the shots you take on a nightly basis - either with your own laptop, burning CDs at the ship cyber-cafe, or utilizing some other kind of removable storage. This is actually a better idea than trusting flash media anyhow, which is generally very stable but I have seen them go bad for no apparent reason.

Having just read through this thread, two or three things occur to me.

The first is that the regular postings by people asking about the best way of protecting their belongings because of the threat of pickpockets and thieves heightens concerns, and I have seen people posting on these boards that they have changed their mind about coming to Europe because they feel so unsafe. However, by and large this is about perception not reality. I was in Naples a few months ago, and lots of people warned me about pickpockets, thieves on motorbikes and scooters who will rip a woman's bag off her shoulder as they go past, and thieves who will open your car door when you stop at lights, whip the bag off the passenger seat and run off. It made me feel very vunerable and unsafe whilst walking around in Naples, yet the reality was that nothing happened to us and we didn't see anything bad happen to anybody else.

For sure there are people who get pickpocketed. Out of the number of tourists it would be surprising if there were'nt. However, it's a fact of life wherever you are. I live in London. My wife had her purse stolen from her bag in Oxford Street (busy shopping street in Central London). However, the cards were insured and we learnt a lesson, but it doesn't stop us going up to Central London. Every day a vast number of people are killed or injured in car crashes, yet most of us don't think twice about getting in a car. From the UK it would seem that gun crime is endemic in the States yet nothing much seems to get done about it, however there are people posting on these boards complaining that pickpickets and thieves are not dealt with seriously enough! Where's the sense of proportion?

I do a lot of travelling, but I live in a big city at home, and when I travel to big cities abroad I don't usually feel threatened. It would be interesting to have a poll to see whether the people who feel most at risk come from small town and rural locations rather than cities.

Living in London makes me fairly streetwise and alert. When I travel I usually carry a good SLR camera around my neck and a camera bag over my shoulder. I've never been targeted, but I'm sure my time will come. However, I make sure that my belongings, cash and credit cards are insured, that my cards are registered with a central company so that one call will cancel them all, and I back up my camera card every day (you can buy an adapter to use your ipod, and I also have a battery operated stand alone hard drive with memory card slots that I keep in the hotel safe. If I ever pull the short straw I'll remember all the other travelling I've done without problems.

I believe that it is sensible to take obvious precautions, but that overdoing the precautions doesn't necessarily make you any safer, it just makes you feel more vunerable. As an example, if you go down a back alley and somebody pulls a knife, all the steel backpacks, hidden purses and the like don't help any more, far better to use common sense and not go down the alley in the first place!

Paul S

Hi,

I find this slightly offensive. Is it safe to walk around cities in the USA with a wallet in your back pocket? I doubt it. Some people are making it sound as though 'Europe' is some backward place where everyone is out to get you.

Fascinating!

Keep things in perspective and travel with common sense. Oh and leave anything 'flashy' on the ship.

Teresa

Sorry you are offended but I have lived in DC, visted Boston & go into NYC . I have never had to consider buying neck pouches & reinforced metal straps for our camera... or hiding thingas & securing them with safety pins, The discussion on this thread has helped me prepare both mentally & otherwise for what could happen if we are not vigilant. When you are on vacation you tend to be more interested in the sights than guarding yourself but now we are alert to the precautions needed. I don't think anyone is implying anything beyond that.. but it is a shame the local authorities allow such inhospitable practices mar their cities' reputations.

Hi,

I find this slightly offensive. Is it safe to walk around cities in the USA with a wallet in your back pocket? I doubt it. Some people are making it sound as though 'Europe' is some backward place where everyone is out to get you.

Fascinating!

Keep things in perspective and travel with common sense. Oh and leave anything 'flashy' on the ship.

Teresa

I am not an alarmist by any means. I live in Baltimore- the city that Bleeds and Breeds. Some areas are really rough. But the tourist areas are quite nice. Now, I am not a tourist in Baltimore- so can't speak from that angle. Don't know if there is any crime against tourists in Baltimore. More drug related- gang crime. In DC, I have walked thru some of the unsavory parts of the city as a tourist and never felt intimidated. As for the Center of DC- very safe- no problem. I have never seem people get pickpocketed. Not saying it doesn't happen- just not in my case or experience- and I have left my purse unattended (on the floor, under the table) on trains to DC- in restaurants,etc.

I LOVE NYC and there is a cop on every street corner in Times Square and I feel safe in Central park, etc. So, no the US is not like Barcelona!

Read up on Barcelona and you will see that pickpocketing is pervasive. I was pickpocketed within hours of my arrival. That's why I am warning people. On the other hand- felt fine in Italy (except in Naple- dirty, ugly city).

Hi,

Fascinating!

Feel as offended as you want. I've spent my entire life carrying my wallet around in my back pocket. The whole idea of carrying a wallet in my front pocket is foreign to me (and quite frankly, I don't find it very comfortable). And that includes doing standard tourist type things in most of the large cities in the country.

While I certainly won't say it never happens in the US, I definitely don't think it's as common as it might be in Europe. I'm certainly not saying we don't have our own criminals, just that they don't seem to tend towards pickpocketing. Maybe they're too lazy to take the time to learn how to do it well :).

Hi,

as I expected!

I don't need to 'read up' on Barcelona I have been there many times and am going again next month - and will be very vigilant as always. I am very well travelled in Europe thank you very much!

What I would like to say to you is if it is that scary don't come. We had a touring holiday in Jordan back at Easter and I have never felt so safe anywhere - it is all about perceptions. You make the US sound like a crime free paradise while our perceptions [if we read everything printed about it] could be a gun totting, crime ridden and racist society! Note I said could be from all that is printed about it!!!!!!!!! I don't believe that of course. You have to have an open mind.

Sure it would be great if governments could do more but here in "Europe" we have fewer barriers than ever which mean people are able to move between countries easier than ever before and so are harder to trace. Police in all countries have a hard job. Here we have had to fund a war many of us didn't want - we are only a small country and the present situation has cost us a fortune which has had to be found from somewhere. Our police force is not what it once was but I'm sure they do their best and am glad for you that you can afford a cop on each corner in New York.

Teresa

Sorry guys,

I should not have got political there and don't mean to be offensive - Piper I didn't read the end of your post 'cause I took offense straight away!! LOL

Be careful of course is all I mean to say. It is a minority as with anything but don't let it put you off coming you are welcome in Europe just take care

Teresa

Hi,

as I expected!

I don't need to 'read up' on Barcelona I have been there many times and am going again next month - and will be very vigilant as always. I am very well travelled in Europe thank you very much!

What I would like to say to you is if it is that scary don't come. We had a touring holiday in Jordan back at Easter and I have never felt so safe anywhere - it is all about perceptions. You make the US sound like a crime free paradise while our perceptions [if we read everything printed about it] could be a gun totting, crime ridden and racist society! Note I said could be from all that is printed about it!!!!!!!!! I don't believe that of course. You have to have an open mind.

Sure it would be great if governments could do more but here in "Europe" we have fewer barriers than ever which mean people are able to move between countries easier than ever before and so are harder to trace. Police in all countries have a hard job. Here we have had to fund a war many of us didn't want - we are only a small country and the present situation has cost us a fortune which has had to be found from somewhere. Our police force is not what it once was but I'm sure they do their best and am glad for you that you can afford a cop on each corner in New York.

Teresa

No one said there is no crime in the US but our theives are more apt to break into a house or bank and aren't as adept at pickpocketing!

As for me going to Barcelona (again).. my father purchased a cruise for me and my son departing Barcelona. He knows I hate Barcelona now so we are flying into Madrid and I am giving Spain another chance! Then just one night in Barcelona before the cruise. Believe me- I will be very vigilant with my belongings there. But I have no doubt that pickpockets abound. In fact, I thought about just bringing a crappy old purse from home- carrying it around with a note inside that says "Sorry, try again". I'll let you know how long it takes for my decoy to get stolen.

<<No one said there is no crime in the US but our theives are more apt to break into a house or bank and aren't as adept at pickpocketing!>>

I have been pickpocketed in the past in Istanbul and know how awful the feeling was....Use your common sense and never leave any item out of sight and keep it in front of you. Be suspicious if a stranger attracts your attention, it can be a tric, so another one in their party canl rob you.

But please donot be paranoid about a visit to Europe because of this.

At the same time...donot forget there were some years tourists from Europe were afraid to come to Florida, because they were robbed and even shot when driving a rental car....

Yes, one incidence years ago (in Florida) shouldn't deter travel there. One incidence of a child being abducted shouldn't influence people from traveling for Portugal.

But I have to say that I feel safe in all of Europe. I love Europe. Italy in particular.

There is more than one incidence of pickpocketing in Barcelona- it is common place. But enough said on this matter. My public service announcement is over.

We were walking through St. James park in London a couple of years ago, it was very late at night, we saw a Police Officer and my DH asked him if the park was safe at night. He replied "if your British you won't feel safe, if your an American you will feel right at home". We had a great laugh over that one. I would hate to read the travel boards for those from Europe coming to the US I am sure they would never want to get off the plane in many of our cities.

I purchased a tan security wallet for me and a black security wallet for my husband at e-bags.com. They go under your shirts and it is definitely worth the money after reading about so many people being pickpocketed. In fact, I think I will buy a small camera that can fit into this security wallet, because my camera is too big and I don't want to have to worry about it.

I will carry an old purse with me with a few dollars in it and my husband will carry an old wallet in his front pocket with a few dollars in it besides our security wallets. The less obvious it is that we have these security wallets on, the better.

My cruise leaves out of Barcelona in November and we will be going to Rome.

My DH and I were spending a week in Budapest a few years ago when we were surrounded by Gypsies on the subway. I know how some of you feel when something like this happens no matter where you are. We had stepped on to the subway steps, the door closed behind us but we couldn't step up into the car.There were three men and two women blocking the way. The car was empty except for four or five old women who just looked at us helplessly. The men were trying to take my husbands watch off and others trying to grab his small backpack. The women were trying to grab my small travel purse that was around my neck and held firmly under my arm. We both were wearing money belts under our clothes (as Rick Steves always advises) Luckly for us the next stop was very close and we managed to hold on to everything. They all immediately jumped off but I have never felt so terrified! It was several days before I could bring myself to ride the subway again. We were very careful about a clear path in front of us from then on! On three trips to Barcelona we have been fine. On our last trip out of there we were taking a TA on Brilliance of the Seas. There was a 2 day hotel stay before the cruise and one of our tablemates had his luggage taken from the hotel lobby. RCL did give him some money to buy a suitcase and some clothes but he said things were so expensive there that he couldn't buy much and it was a long trip so he was sending everything to be laundered and he didn't plan to pay for it. I don't know how he made out on that! I think they did provide formal clothes for him too. I don't intend to let anyone keep me from traveling, I just try to be watchful and still enjoy the scenery.:p

Remember that many of the thieves are extraordinarily quick. I recommend that women not place purses or bags between their legs, no matter how tightly you plan to clench or how brief an amount of time you plan to leave it there. My friend and I visited an internet cafe in London. We were logged on for three minutes and her purse was stolen from where it was stored (clenched between her calves, under the chair which was pulled under the table which was pulled up to a wall). They took the whole purse, even though she had had the straps on her thighs (she had thought she'd be able to feel if they moved). Sometimes people relax too much when they think they've taken necessary precautions. Fortunately, she only had one card with some small change in the purse and had stored the cancellation number in her room. She had everything taken care of within the day and while it was a low point in her trip, it didn't ruin the remainder of the trip for her.

I agree that it is important to take a little extra care with one's belongings and then enjoy your trip. You can get robbed anywhere, especially with today's technology where your credit cards could be stolen without you even leaving the house. Personally, I'd rather be out enjoying myself while exploring when it happened rather than have my credit card numbers do all the vacationing without me. ^_^

I've spent months in Rome over the years, without a hitch, UNTIL one of my last days there, in 2005: a friend and I were walking in a nice residential area after dinner (during the summer, when it was just starting to get dark), and a motorbike rider was idling at a street corner, talking to some woman on the street, whom he apparently knew. We paid no attention, but when we reached the intersection where he was, he suddenly accelerated, and as he drove in front of us, he reached out and snatched at my friend's purse! Thank God, she had draped it across her body, rather than just dangling it from one shoulder, and all he managed to do was rip the strap off one end--she was able to hang on to it. But ever after, I have to say WATCH OUT for those motorbikes in Rome; they're everywhere, so if your purse is snatched by one of their drivers, you'll never be able to identify the one who did it!

... But ever after, I have to say WATCH OUT for those motorbikes in Rome; they're everywhere, so if your purse is snatched by one of their drivers, you'll never be able to identify the one who did it!

I've heard about the motorbikes so I've purchased a Metrosafe 200 bag for both my husband and myself, plus Pacsafe camera straps, and retractable locks to tie our suitcases together at the hotels, airports and on the train. We'll wear the bag and camera straps across our chests and they can also be locked to our chairs when we're sitting.

My husband did get his wallet lifted on the Metro in Paris. I was pushed by someone and turned around and said "Hey!" and my husband, of course, came to my rescue while someone lifted his wallet. He confronted who he suspected, a well-dressed man with an overcoat. The wallet was probably passed to someone else too quickly to see. We jumped off at the next stop. I always carry a different credit card than him, so we were able to cancel.

We're always vigilant when we travel but while on a cruise with 3,000 other people, we're going to be a bigger target than when we've travelled alone. I told him when in Rome (or Florence or Barcelona) don't try to rescue me, I can handle myself. Just grab his bag and camera instead. We've gone through scenarios of food or pidgeon poop on clothes, crowds of children, women grabbing him in places they shouldn't be, baby tossing (yikes!), etc. Ironically, I've been a victim of identity theft twice without even leaving my house!

Someone mentioned telling about not being ripped off...

We spent three wonderful days in Barcelona walking and using the metro and did not get robbed.

We did not get robbed in Pisa, Florence or Rome--but we had a guide, the only time we were ripped off was by the Vatican guide who managed to get paid twice.

We took the trolley in Naples and the train to Pompeii and Herculanium and did not get robbed. Then we walked through old Naples to get pizza at DaMichele, and back to the ship, I walked over to the Galleria alone and did not get robbed.

We took the train into Athens--you got it, did not get robbed.

Paris (I LOVE PARIS) left me with all my possessions intact, it just stole my heart.

I regularly go into Philly, on South Street and center city--have not been robbed or killed (its a Philly jab)

I go to NYC, take the Staten Island Ferry and walk up to times square, around Central Park, take the subway and buses--no robbing there either.

Have walked through DC at night..a bit scarey, but still ok.

Love Miami, have relatives there do SoBy and Little Havana. Still have my stuff.

I could go on..but you get the idea. I'm sure that my luck may run out, but I love to travel and explore. I am from a rural area, but traveling has made me comfortable in strange places. Consider how lucky we are to have the money and are healthy enough to travel. Basically, if you are going to worry that much about a destination, pick another..there are plenty of places to explore both in the US and elsewhere to fret. Take the suggestions here, be sensible and enjoy your adventure.

Here's another "Nothing happened" post. I've been travelling since June 1987 (30 years ago???? WOW) and I've never been robbed, pickpocketed, or grabbed in Europe. I did have a funny incident in Maastricht Holland while my friend and I were walking around. There was a guy standing on the sidewalk asking for money to call home, just some change. I gave him some. He moved to the next street and you got it, hit us up again. About 3 times before we realized it was the same guy. I must have had sucker written on my forehead.

Then in '98 when my husband and I went to Italy, we had read and heard to be super careful in Naples and Rome, and to never never leave anything in the rental car, as thieves took the whole car. Thought I was smart and took my "Club" for the car steering wheel. It caused quite a stir at the airport even in 1998. I was told it could be a weapon, they almost wouldn't let me take it, but they finally did, the flight attendant held it for me until the end of the flight. We used it throughout Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, Belgium and Holland. Never had one incident.

Jamaica has been by far the worst place I have travelled as far as feeling safe. My daughter and I were travelling alone, therefore an easy target I guess. Even police officers accosted us, wanting to marry us and come to the U.S. One guy was so persistent he followed us into stores, and banks, and finally left us alone when we got on the shuttle back to the hotel. We had a guide from the hotel, but at one street corner there were almost 200 guys standing around wanting to guide. One walked up to me, and when I said no thank you, I had a guide, he started yelling and waving his arms hitting me in the arm. Caused quite a ruckus, our guide saw it, came over and told the guy to leave, he was our guide. We didn't venture into Montego Bay alone again. We stayed at the hotel/resort except for organized tours from the hotel.

But those incidents were minor and in no way would ever stop me from travelling. I fear the COST of travelling is what will stop me. This trip next year to Italy/Greece is going to be a doozy. When my husband and I were in Italy in '98, we were paying $25-50 for a double per night. I can't believe the rates they want now are ten times what they were 9 years ago, and that people are paying it and still swarming to Europe, and from reading these boards, paying for private tour guides and exorbitant hotel rooms, water taxis and gondolas in Venice. It truly amazes me! I hope I will be able to save the funds necessary to go forward with the cruise to the Med, but if the prices continue to rise, will be forced to cancel it.

I wish everyone happy travels!

I do have happy and safe travel stories as well. In fact, for all the traveling we've done, the one incident in Paris is nothing compared to all the time we've spent exploring this big world. We've taken the underground, trains, buses and cars all over London, the south of England, Paris (I love it, too!), south of France, New York, DC, Baltimore, and more. We just returned from a stay in Hawaii where we ended up on the "rough" side of Oahu (thank you Carnival Vacation Club) and ate and shopped with the locals and the homeless. I grew up in LA county and lived through the LA riots. My husband grew up in New Jersey and New York. We go to San Francisco on a regular basis. In fact, I used to go dancing with a friend in SF and have walked to my car in the wee hours of the morning many times without worry. My husband has always insisted on carrying his wallet in his back pocket and was targeted in Paris because I told him to move it to his front pocket before we got on the Metro. My fault there.

I love traveling the world, exploring the big cities and the countrysides, riding the trains, buses and undergrounds and we'll continue to do so until we can no longer walk (and then in a wheelchair). All we need is a map, my camera and maybe a car and we cover as much ground as time allows. So much to see and photograph, so little time. Being older Americans, we realize we may need to be more cautious now, especially while pouring out of a cruise ship with 3,000 other people. And on we travel -- next to Italy for 3 days in Rome, a 12-day Med. cruise and 6 days in Venice. Can't wait!!!

Finaly located and purchased a monmey belt but shhhh, don't tell anyone.

Paula went on a trip to Peru 2 years ago and she had to learn to carry her backpack on her front. In addition every time they strayed from the main streets in the towns a policeman appeared and turned them around and sent them back to the main drag.

Guess we are lucky here in Oz, only have to keep an eye on our politicians.

David

Hi,

Fascinating!

Teresa

My husband always carries his wallet in his back pocket. When I shop in the grocery store, I put my purse in the cart and often walk away from it, turn my back, etc. When I go to a restaurant, I always place my purse over the back of my chair. (I can't tell you the number of times it has fallen off and some kind soul has stopped to pick it up for me.)

This is the United States that I live in. I have lived in Denver, San Francisco, San Diego and Los Angeles and now Phoenix. I have traveled to most of the other major cities here in the states, including New York, DC, Atlanta, Chicago, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and Honolulu. Never have I had to think about wrapping my purse strap around my leg while I am eating. Never has my husband had to think about putting his wallet in his front pocket.

As soon as I mentioned we were going to Europe, I started hearing the pickpocket stories. I hear about 2-3 a week (besides what I read on CC.)

My last time I was in Europe was in 1991. It may be that the Eastern block countries borders have opened up since I was last there (I often hear the pickpockets are gypsies.) Regardless, it is not something I have ever dealt with nor would I have known what to do without reading these boards.

Maybe you think we are naive Americans, but the purpose of these boards is to educate people so that we can hopefully avoid these kinds of unpleasant happenings, so we continue to travel and spend our tucked under the shirt in our homemade Velcro bra strap pocket good ole US Dollars.

AND PS - THOSE THAT LIVE IN GLASS HOUSES SHOULD NOT THROW STONES.

My husband always carries his wallet in his back pocket. When I shop in the grocery store, I put my purse in the cart and often walk away from it, turn my back, etc. When I go to a restaurant, I always place my purse over the back of my chair. (I can't tell you the number of times it has fallen off and some kind soul has stopped to pick it up for me.)

This is the United States that I live in. I have lived in Denver, San Francisco, San Diego and Los Angeles and now Phoenix. I have traveled to most of the other major cities here in the states, including New York, DC, Atlanta, Chicago, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and Honolulu. Never have I had to think about wrapping my purse strap around my leg while I am eating. Never has my husband had to think about putting his wallet in his front pocket.

Your luck may run out someday. My co-workwer had her purse snatched in broad daylight in Bangor, ME, 30 years ago. Bangor is a very safe town about of 40,000, where some residents still don't lock their doors.

I got my pocket picked on a crowded bus in Bologna. The girl who did it took only the 20 Euro note and left the pound notes behind.

Stuff can happen anywhere, whether it's at home or abroad. Just because you feel safe doesn't always mean you are!

Lisa

Never been robbed in England, India, France, Italy , Germany, Switzerland, South America, The Caribbean, Hawaii, Alaska, D.C. New York, Philly, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Antonio, Colorado, Canada, Florida, etc.

Have been pickpocketed in Barcelona.

Have traveled safely all over US, as well as in France, Germany, UK, Austria, Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, Poland, Finland, Italy, Spain, Turkey, Greece, Egypt, Japan, Thailand, Hong Kong, Mexico, Canada, & more.

Had my wallet lifted in Barcelona. Ex almost had wallet lifted in Rome. These are the two cities you hear most about in terms of pickpockets. It's not just an alarmist myth. However, if you take EXTRA precautions you should be fine.

No one has ever tried to harm me physically nor have I ever felt unsafe (well maybe as a teenager being subjected to a strip search upon leaving Thailand many years ago....) in my travels.

Archived