QM2 after the smoking ban

mufi

There was a 12 week period of consultation between the government and any interested parties. This ended on 11 May 2007. The government will announce the results and it's proposals within 12 weeks from 11 May 07. Below is from a statement made to the Commons in February. Some restriction will be made on smoking in public enclosed spaces at sea within UK territorial waters but the legislation is yet to be revealed.

'Smoking is to be banned on boats and ships in British waters, the Government said.

Douglas Alexander, the Transport Secretary, said that he plans to extend the ban on smoking in public places to the nation’s waterways. Smoking in enclosed workplaces, public places and vehicles on land will be banned from July 1.

In a written statement to MPs, Mr Alexander said: “I now intend to introduce similar provisions to provide protection from secondhand smoke for people on vessels operating in UK waters, at sea and on inland waterways.”

Sailors and passengers will still be allowed to smoke in their cabins. Mr Alexander said that the ban would be enforced by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency. Flouting it would carry similar penalties to those for smoking on dry land. '

Ken

Sailors and passengers will still be allowed to smoke in their cabins.

Thanks for the clarification, Ken. The downside to this is that cabins inhabited by smokers will smell horrible. Pity the nonsmoker who 'inherits' one of these cabins from a smoker.

Thanks for the clarification, Ken. The downside to this is that cabins inhabited by smokers will smell horrible. Pity the nonsmoker who 'inherits' one of these cabins from a smoker.

would that not happen now, smoking ban or not or do ships have specific smoking and non smoking cabins

would that not happen now, smoking ban or not or do ships have specific smoking and non smoking cabins

It does happen now--I've had it happen twice. When it happened on QM2, we were fortunate in that we got on early and could leave the balcony door and cabin door propped open while we were still in Southampton to ventillate the room.

My point is that, if the cabin is the only place a passenger can smoke, he/she is likely to do a LOT of smoking in there (more than now) and a smoker's cabin will be much worse/harder to clean than it would be now.

I would suggest this to you and sundry....when the message you post seems to have gone astray, try the Refesh button first. Often that gets things sorted out and you can tell for sure if your message went thru or not. Also, if you get a "you already posted this" message, trust it first. If it didn't go thru, have another go.

This, obviously, means that if it seems the site is crawling along and may lose messages, if you've got a really good one, you might wish to copy it before you attempt to send it off. So you can paste it in a new message box if you need to repeat the effort.

Angela

One moment I am intuitively engaging and disarmingly attractive ;) and the next I am "you and sundry". Pride surely does go before a fall.

The internet has a clever way of knowing that whenever I try to make some wisecrack it will stall and make me enter it twice, making one look somewhat like a fool. I will try the refresh button next time. I never do such 'a really good one' that it is worth the effort once again.

Angela

One moment I am intuitively engaging and disarmingly attractive ;) and the next I am "you and sundry". Pride surely does go before a fall.

The internet has a clever way of knowing that whenever I try to make some wisecrack it will stall and make me enter it twice, making one look somewhat like a fool. I will try the refresh button next time. I never do such 'a really good one' that it is worth the effort once again.

Are you kidding? If I were you I'd also copy every single message, just in case the internet dragons do indeed eat/set ablaze/grill! what you worked so diligently to construct.

This is how I know to have (most of the time) faith in the Refresh button--the very first message I ever posted on CC went off somewhere. I was aware of the numerous double posts, so calmly went to Refresh instead. Actually, no. I got really hacked off and waved my arms around, yelling for my message to come back. THEN I remembered to give Refresh a try. Success was mine at last!

Or maybe you're just a jinx with jokes...:)

Archived