QM2 after the smoking ban

mufi

We will be aboard the QM2 when she sails in to Southampton for the first time after the UK smoking ban comes in on 1 July.

I know that when a ship is in UK territorial waters and is docking in a UK port the regulations will apply.

How long is she in UK waters before docking and will this affect smokers only on the final morning? It will be interesting to see how this is handled aboard.

David.

We were recently in French territorial waters and their smoking legislation, which is similar to ours, had no impact on smoking regulations on board.

Any idea why there is a discrepancy?

Were you on a vessel flying the red ensign? If so, I would say that it was the duty of the Master to ignore such petty laws belonging to the French! Don't they recall who won Trafalgar?

Matthew

(half jesting)

Were you on a vessel flying the red ensign? If so, I would say that it was the duty of the Master to ignore such petty laws belonging to the French! Don't they recall who won Trafalgar?

Matthew

(half jesting)

Now, now, Matthew,

We won the revolution, but we still let you have your silly little trifles and piffle!

Karie,

also half in jest!

Now, now, Matthew,

We won the revolution, but we still let you have your silly little trifles and piffle!

Karie,

also half in jest!

I think you'll find that we won the Revolution.

Matthew

(Deadly serious!)

I suspect that it's something to do with the ship being "in transit" and therefore not being part of France. If the ship had its home port in France it would be subject to the French regulations.

We were recently in French territorial waters and their smoking legislation, which is similar to ours, had no impact on smoking regulations on board.

Having been to Paris only 2 weeks ago no one is taking any notice of any ban.

All the bars we went in it was carry on smoking.

test

I would suggest this to you and sundry....when the message you post seems to have gone astray, try the Refesh button first. Often that gets things sorted out and you can tell for sure if your message went thru or not. Also, if you get a "you already posted this" message, trust it first. If it didn't go thru, have another go.

This, obviously, means that if it seems the site is crawling along and may lose messages, if you've got a really good one, you might wish to copy it before you attempt to send it off. So you can paste it in a new message box if you need to repeat the effort.

... Never had piffle, though; anyone have a good recipe?

Sometimes ignorance is bliss, and easier on the stomach. Don't believe any recipe from the othersiders; over there they make it with balderdash.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss, and easier on the stomach. Don't believe any recipe from the othersiders; over there they make it with balderdash.

Where do I get this balderdash, of which you speak? Sounds tasty.

I love trifles, I only wish I fresh gooseberries rather than the canned ones to make it with. Never had piffle, though; anyone have a good recipe?

Never had piffle? That's Ok, it is insignificant and unworthy of discussion.

Of course I was joking, but after thinking about it for a few hours I'm rather surprised that there isn't a British dessert called "piffle"; I mean, considering what some of those other desserts got named (I'm looking directly at you, Spotted Dick) it just surprising, is all I'm saying, and me originally from Detroit.

Meanwhile I made a steamed treacle sponge this weekend and served it with a choice of either golden syrup or warm home-made custard. It served eight, not a scrap left.

Sorry to interrupt the discussion of cholesterol-laden puds, but to get back to the original question...I believe it depends on the country in which the ship is registered.

Last time I was on QE2, I was told that if England went no-smoking, QE2 would have to follow suit, as she is [until Nov 08 :( ] part of England. Don't know if that's true. QM isn't British-flagged, so I doubt the smoking ban will change her.

I believe it depends on the country in which the ship is registered. . .

. . .QM isn't British-flagged, so I doubt the smoking ban will change her.

Pardon my ignorance, :confused: but I thought that the Queen Mary 2 was registered in Great Britain and thereby "British flagged".... ?????? Am I incorrect in my understanding?

Archived