Mosquitoes in September?

hms

We'll be cruising on the Sapphire to Alaska on 9/5/04. We've been told to take mosquito spray, but my husband who is a Minnesota native (and mosquito expert!) thinks by early September the weather should be cool enough not to worry about packing the spray. Advice please from someone who's been there that time of year. Thanks.

hms,

We just got back from the inside passage last week and never took out the bug spray. We didn't go into the woods hiking, but visited all the ports and did a rafting trip on the Kenai and rode the White Pass Railway from Skagway.

We were in Alaska last Sept. and never was bothered by mosquito's. We were around the ports and took a bus trip into the Yukon and no problems. Now I am not saying that there weren't any mosquito's anywhere in Alaska but where we were there were none.

Marilyn

In Alaska, it is ALWAYS better to have the repellent than not. This has been a really bad bug year on the Kenai Peninsula; the white socks and no see-ums come after the mosquitoes, so bug spray season doesn't end in September...You can get a small pocket size of repellent in a plastic bottle that isn't heavy and doesn't take up much room.

Got back a week or two ago and didn't encounter a single mosquito at any of the ports, Anchorage, or Denali. I came prepared with DEET yucky stuff, non-DEET non-toxic lotion and head nets. Didn't have to use any of it. All the talk about "state bird is the mosquito" had me fearing the worst, but not a single mosquito of any size or other biting insect.

Finally, I asked the gas station guy near Denali. He's a native, and I mean like multiple generations. He said this summer has been unusually quiet for mosquitoes. He hadn't seen any either, until he and his buddies went fishing at a remote lake with thick marshes. They ran into a lot of them there. But at Denali, nothing.

Also did the Horseshoe Lake hike at Denali, right by marshes. No mosquitoes.

Instead of Off and other repelants, simply take along a few Bounce dryer sheets. I said Bounce only because that happens to be the brand that is sitting on top of my dryer.

Before going out on your day's excursion, tie one to a belt loop on each side of you and the critters will stay way away from you. There's some chemical in the sheets that they don't like.

Instead of Off and other repelants, simply take along a few Bounce dryer sheets. I said Bounce only because that happens to be the brand that is sitting on top of my dryer.

Before going out on your day's excursion, tie one to a belt loop on each side of you and the critters will stay way away from you. There's some chemical in the sheets that they don't like.

O.K....I have lived in Alaska my whole life and so have both my parents and one grandparent, basically we've lived here FOREVER and I have never ever heard this until this board and this year I worked in a RV Park and a whole group of tourist came in smelling like a Laundromat! Personally I think this is a new wives tale, the only thing that really works during spring when they are thick is spray. If you live here you can get a mosquito magnet for your yard to thin them out but really only the spray will keep them off.

All I'm trying to say is that if you don't want to stick out like your wearing a hot pink sign that says "Tourist" I'd stay away from the dryer sheets. (I told my co-workers at my "real job" about the tourist coming in the RV Park with the dryer sheets on them and I thought they would all die laughing.) ;)

**I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I just don't want you to feel like a dork when you get here. :)

Recently received one of those forwarded generic E-mails from a relative who praised the different uses of dryer sheets to ward off everything from bee stings and small bug bites to attacks by lions, tigers and bears, oh my.

Some dryer sheet varieties might work on some types of bees, yes have heard from local post delivery people who swear by them, but I look like a tourist enogh when I travel and doun't need a dryer sheet hanging out my shorts to say, ``I look like a geek because I'm afraid of the ``Deet'' and hope your bugs know I'm wearing Bounce.''

Wonder if these bugaohobic cruisers tuck a sheet of bounce inside their formal wear as well. Perhaps a sheet of Bounce tucked into tuxedo pockets on formal nights could not only ward off bug bites but start a new fashion trend.

Personally will stick to taking a small container of bug-off stuff and use it when and if needed. Just a back up medical supply in our suitcase as regular as bandaids and Bengay - yes, my age is showing.

Some dryer sheet varieties might work on some types of bees, yes have heard from local post delivery people who swear by them, but I look like a tourist enogh when I travel and doun't need a dryer sheet hanging out my shorts to say, ``I look like a geek because I'm afraid of the ``Deet'' and hope your bugs know I'm wearing Bounce.''

Wonder if these bugaohobic cruisers tuck a sheet of bounce inside their formal wear as well. Perhaps a sheet of Bounce tucked into tuxedo pockets on formal nights could not only ward off bug bites but start a new fashion trend.

OMG! LMAO! ha ha ha ha ha!!! :D You crack me up! HA!

Archived