Radiance of the Seas.....Past - Present - Future

Just returned from what may be the last Ultimate Alaska Cruise. It was absolutely fabulous, from the ports to the weather. That's right, sunny every day in Alaska.

Capt. Claus (Andersen) was very evasive regarding what was being done in dry dock. About all he would admit is that the ship was scheduled for May 2011. Also, he was unable (or unwilling) to try and determine if he would be the captain on the Sept 2011 repo to Alaska.

I'll try and answer any other questions if there are any.

Capt. Claus was quite specific with us on this cruise. The azipods will be replaced. They will go ahead and replace some furnishings and carpeting during the same week.

Gina

Just returned from what may be the last Ultimate Alaska Cruise. It was absolutely fabulous, from the ports to the weather. That's right, sunny every day in Alaska.

Capt. Claus (Andersen) was very evasive regarding what was being done in dry dock. About all he would admit is that the ship was scheduled for May 2011. Also, he was unable (or unwilling) to try and determine if he would be the captain on the Sept 2011 repo to Alaska.

I'll try and answer any other questions if there are any.

Hi Mark, sounds like your cruise had the perfect weather.

There is no repo to Alaska in September of 2011. The ship will leave Vancouver on September 16 and head over to Honolulu where she will begin her journey to Australia on September 27.

If Captain Anderson is still in the rotation for Radiance, and the rotation stays at 10 weeks, I've figured he would either be joining the ship in Honolulu or Sydney.

Capt. Claus was quite specific with us on this cruise. The azipods will be replaced. They will go ahead and replace some furnishings and carpeting during the same week.

Gina

Well then, we have the answer.

Hi Mark, sounds like your cruise had the perfect weather.

There is no repo to Alaska in September of 2011. The ship will leave Vancouver on September 16 and head over to Honolulu where she will begin her journey to Australia on September 27.

If Captain Anderson is still in the rotation for Radiance, and the rotation stays at 10 weeks, I've figured he would either be joining the ship in Honolulu or Sydney.

Hi Patti,

We had extraordinary weather. The locals we spoke to were almost shocked to have so much sun in September.

I did find Capt. Andersen to be a very enjoyable person. We were fortunate in being selected to dine at his table on 9/20. I suspect making small talk with a group of strangers can't be high in his list of things he like to do, but he was extremely gracious and very informative.

I asked him your questions at the beginning of the cruise (at the welcome back party) because I didn't think I would get another chance. At dinner, I choose not to repeat the questions, but we have the answer from Gina regarding the dry dock.

He did seem to think he would still be on Radiance when it was in Australia so you should have a good chance of seeing him on your cruise. I hope to do so when we sail in April 2012.

Hi Patti,

We had extraordinary weather. The locals we spoke to were almost shocked to have so much sun in September.

I did find Capt. Andersen to be a very enjoyable person. We were fortunate in being selected to dine at his table on 9/20. I suspect making small talk with a group of strangers can't be high in his list of things he like to do, but he was extremely gracious and very informative.

I asked him your questions at the beginning of the cruise (at the welcome back party) because I didn't think I would get another chance. At dinner, I choose not to repeat the questions, but we have the answer from Gina regarding the dry dock.

He did seem to think he would still be on Radiance when it was in Australia so you should have a good chance of seeing him on your cruise. I hope to do so when we sail in April 2012.

Hi Mark, so glad to hear that you had such great weather. That has to be a first to have nice weather the entire cruise. To visit Juneau in mid-September and not have rain is amazing and you were very lucky.

Captain Anderson is a little on the shy side until he gets to know you. He has to be coaxed into a conversation. He loves to talk about his two daughters and his ranch in South Africa along with his motorcycle. He's also good with ship talk, but is limited to what he can and can not say.

Glad to hear that he thinks he will be on Radiance when she goes to Australia.

BTW........any plumbing problems?:D

Hi Mark, so glad to hear that you had such great weather. That has to be a first to have nice weather the entire cruise. To visit Juneau in mid-September and not have rain is amazing and you were very lucky.

Glad to hear that he thinks he will be on Radiance when she goes to Australia.

BTW........any plumbing problems?:D

Capt. Claus said it WAS a first with the weather. He also said he loves this ship and is very happy to stay with her as long as the company will allow it.

Plumbing? Nothing like before but on 2 occasions the toilet water was "off" color. But nothing at all like the discolored sink water we noticed several times on Serenade last month.

Gina

What is an RCCL Beer Cooler?

Thank you.

Here's a pic of it. They sell them with 8 beers in it I've heard anywhere from 35.00 -38 dollars then you refill it for 25 or so dollars for 8 beers. The cooler has a bottle opener attached to it.They are supposed to be rolling them out fleetwide.

1936827655_beercooler.jpg.83f58748f40e78813c834ea98a4acaac.jpg

Sailed on Radiance of the Seas from Vancouver, B.C. on Friday, August 27th 2010 (Northbound Alaska, 7 nights cruise).

Sharing some images of a Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony (E1), 8th floor, AFT, Port side (had the actual Port view only while docked in Juneau; at the Hubbard Glaciar, the Captain rotated the ship 360 degrees, so we were also able to view it from our Port side cabins).

Note that the upgrade from an Oceaview room (booked originally) to a "Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony" took place unexpectedly about 2-3 weeks before sailing (it was complimentary and very much welcomed).

The stateroom was exactly as advertised:

"Two twin beds (can convert into queen-size), private balcony (41 sq. ft.), sitting area, and a private bathroom; mini bar, vanity area, hair-dryer, closed-circuit TV and phone. Stateroom (179 sq. ft.) with sofa bed and third Pullman bed available."

Website images:

shp_rd_dovb-state_img_305.jpg - shp_ad_sovb-state_sch_379.jpg

Real images:

P1120285.jpg

Radiance of the Seas, 8th floor, E1 Balcony stateroom (August 27, 2010)

P1120281.jpg

Radiance of the Seas, 8th floor (August 27, 2010)

P1120280.jpg

Sailed on Radiance of the Seas from Vancouver, B.C. on Friday, August 27th 2010 (Northbound Alaska, 7 nights cruise). Sharing some more images of a Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony (E1), 8th floor AFT, Port side:

P1120283.jpg

Radiance of the Seas, 8th floor, E1 Balcony stateroom at 179 sq. ft. (August 27, 2010)

P1120286.jpg

P1120287.jpg

P1120292.jpg

P1120293.jpg

Sailed on Radiance of the Seas from Vancouver, B.C. on Friday, August 27th 2010 (Northbound Alaska, 7 nights cruise). Sharing additional images of a Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony (E1), 8th floor AFT, Port side:

P1120295.jpg

Radiance of the Seas, 8th floor, E1 Balcony stateroom at 179 sq. ft. (August 27, 2010)

P1120296.jpg

Radiance of the Seas, 8th floor, E1 stateroom with private Balcony of 41 sq. ft. and

view of the Vancouver Downtown skyline (August 27, 2010)

P1120298.jpg

Radiance of the Seas, 8th floor, E1 stateroom with private Balcony of 41 sq. ft. (August 27, 2010)

P1120297.jpg

Radiance of the Seas, 8th floor, E1 Balcony stateroom with view to the

Docklands at the Centennial Pier Port of Vancouver (August 27, 2010)

P1120300.jpg

Sailed on Radiance of the Seas from Vancouver, B.C. on Friday, August 27th 2010 (Northbound Alaska, 7 nights cruise). Sharing few more images of a Deluxe[url="http://www.royalcarib.com/rclstateroom/rclradiance_deluxebalcony.html"] Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony[/url] (E1), 8th floor AFT, Port side:

P1120294.jpg

P1120301.jpg

Radiance of the Seas, 8th floor, E1 Balcony stateroom, minibar (August 27, 2010)

P1120303.jpg

Sailed on Radiance of the Seas from Vancouver, B.C. on Friday, August 27th 2010 (Northbound Alaska, 7 nights cruise). Sharing last images of a Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony (E1), 8th floor AFT, Port side:

P1120289.jpg

Radiance of the Seas, 8th floor, E1 Balcony stateroom, bathroom (August 27, 2010)

P1120291.jpg

Radiance of the Seas, 8th floor, E1 Balcony stateroom, bathroom (August 27, 2010)

P1120290.jpg

P1120288.jpg

P1120304.jpg

When do the excursions open up to book on an Alaska cruise? 90 days before sail? 60?

Also, do the excursion times show up sooner than that and you just can't book it until xyz days before sail?

Thanks.

For our 9/10/10 Alaska repo (which we just returned from early this morning), our ship's excursions opened on Jan 21. MUCH earlier than I anticipated but was very excited when they did open early. And to top it off, if we booked by 2/1, we got a 5% (or was it 10%) discount on the excursions! Worked out beautifully for us!

So, we were able to book 7 1/2 months out - keep your eyes open over the next several weeks. Your excursions may show up sooner than you think!

(btw - we enjoyed all of the excursions we booked through RCCL except one - the whale watch in Juneau. I'll detail all that in my review which I'll write as soon as I get settled in.)

Mom and I are going on a girls vacation in April 2011. Either a cruise or an island resort like Sandals.

I found a cruise that fits our spring break dates. Radiance of the seas 5 nights to Costa Maya and Cozumel out of Tampa

She likes the destinations but shes not crazy about the boat. I did research other cruise lines but they didn't have much balcony rooms which she likes to have.

What are pro's and cons about this ship?

fwiw, I just got off the Radiance. This was or 49th cruise - my first on the Radiance. The Radiance is hands down my all-time favorite ship. Absolutely beautiful. What are her concerns? I'll let you know my just-off-the-ship-yesterday perspective.

A panoramic image of the area with the Cruise Ship Terminal in the middle, by Canada Place in Vancouver:

Lookout-North-East.jpg

Radiance of the Seas cruise ship seen in Vancouver on Friday morning (August 27th 2010) as I was walking along the spectacular promenade of Canada Place at Waterfront Station:

P1110886.jpg

Radiance of the Seas in Vancouver, Canada Place (August 27, 2010)

P1110888.jpg

P1110889.jpg

Supervisor given instructions for last minute construction and other work done aboard the cruise ship Radiance of the Seas:

P1110884.jpg

In the summertime, cruise ships from the world's major lines dock along the pier at Canada Place en route to Alaska. And Radiance of the Seas was no exception Friday, August 27th 2010!

P1110891.jpg

P1110892.jpg

P1110896.jpg

Canada Place, Vancouver has the Cruise Ship Terminal by its side.

P1110911.jpg

P1110913.jpg

P1110912.jpg

P1110916.jpg

I came across a nice shot from someone taking the same cruise as us, so I thought I'll share it ( source: pocketkk's photostream ):

4946926530_355e693204_b.jpg

Radiance of the Seas in Vancouver, B.C. (August 27th 2010, Embarkation day)

"The morning before the cruise started. It rained right after this picture was taken. Poured actually but the shot came out good. Three exposure HDR with levels adjustments in Photoshop."

daliflor, thank you so very much for the pictures you have posted. The exterior photos of the ship are great when locating cabins.....and the interior photos give a great detailed look at an E1 cabin.

If you have any more, please do not hesitate to share.

My intention exactly. Thank you for the feedback and will soon continue with some close ups on the ship and cabins as seen from the Vancouuver Lookout Tower (Observation deck).

Fabulous pics. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to post them!

Linda, your own blog was an inspiration for me as it calls for honest, courageous and overall an incredible woman! Continue to be yourself and good luck with everything you do!

Gina

What are "azipods"? Not that this matters to us since we'll be sailing on Radiance prior to her scheduled drydock.

The azipods are the combination propeller and streering unit. Essentially it is a large highvoltage electric motor, driving propellers powered by the ship's generators and the thrust can be directed in any direction (360 degress). Steering, moving ahead, astern and even sideways can be accomplished by moving the azipods.

My intention exactly. Thank you for the feedback and will soon continue with some close ups on the ship and cabins as seen from the Vancouuver Lookout Tower (Observation deck).

Linda, your own blog was an inspiration for me as it calls for honest, courageous and overall an incredible woman! Continue to be yourself and good luck with everything you do!

Oh my goodness. :o

Thank you.

There'll be another along shortly......

A panoramic image of the area with the Cruise Ship Terminal in the middle, by Canada Place in Vancouver:

lookout-cover2.jpg

A cloudy Friday morning - Canada Place and our Radiance of the Seas cruise ship

(here by ATC Control Tower as seen from Vancouver Lookout Tower):

P1110948.jpg

Far above sea level, the viewing deck of the Vancouver Lookout Tower offers an unparalleled panoramic point of view of Burrard Inlet encompassing Lions Gate Bridge, the North Shore bulk installations, Canada Place and its cruise ship terminal (with Radiance of the Seas seen here):

P1110926.jpg

Radiance of the Seas in Vancouver, B.C. (August 27, 2010)

P1110966.jpg

Radiance of the Seas in Vancouver, B.C. (August 27, 2010)

P1110960.jpg

Archived