Those recently been to Saigon on Oceania

stingraynz

Hi All

We are taking the Rome to Singapore on Nautica in Nov. Afterwards we are staying post cruise in Asia and will find ourselves in Saigon.

I want to know specifically about The Rex hotel. I understand that O uses this hotel as the shuttle stop and many of you walked around and used the spa services.

My question is....would you consider staying there if you went back to Saigon. Between the excellent location and the history, I feel compelled to stay there. Would this be a mistake? Let me know your thoughts, even if you never saw the rooms. I want a general feeling of the lobby, spa services, restaurants, general area. Anything you can tell me would be great

Thanks!!

We did not go with Oceania to HCMC (Saigon) but rather with Tauck last Dec. Our hotel was the Sheraton, fairly close to the Rex. We, of course, had to wander through the Rex because of the history. I personally thought it appeared to have seen better days but I can't speak to the rooms, only the public areas. It is SO worth it to spend some time in Saigon & suggest that you look at some of the tour company (Tauck,A & K, etc.) brochures to see their itineraries for ideas. So much to see & do, not to mention shopping........... The food is excellent & the people welcoming. I'd love to go back. The Sheraton is lovely & you can get excellent river views from many rooms. They also have a very nice restaurant. Don't miss the tour of HCM's home & grounds. SO MUCH to see for those of us who remember the news reports from those days & of which the Rex played a significant part.

Thanks so much for the valued information from both of you.

Jan - I value your judgement and I am happy you responded favourably to The Rex. Unless you came back and said it was horrible. Even if the room is rough around the edges we will be OK with that. I figure If you & others used the spa and that was good service and clean then that counts for a lot!

When I was there in April the Rex was undergoing rennovation. The rooms should be in great shape when you arrive, and if I were going back to Saigon my first choice would be the Rex—it has character, style and a great location.

I agree with Jan; the Rex is a perfect choice.

Jack

We stayed at the Rex for 3 nights as part of a trip on our own to Vietnam in October 2004. I don't know what O is charging you but at that time a modest double room was $50. It was the most we paid for a hotel in the 2 weeks we were there. The hotel had the most amazing breakfast buffet with all sorts of wonderful Vietnamese food. it was like having lunch for breakfast. You won't need to eat all day after that breakfast. As cheap as everything in Vietnam is, I'd look into to staying at the Rex but book it on your own. You can get a cab from the wharf to the hotel on your own too.

Thanks

JackfromWA - I am so glad you answered to my post. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed your journals. I had printed them out and just finished last weekend. You had me literally crying I was laughing so much at times. I felt like I was in that cab in Goa with you and your parents! I could go on and on.

The weird thing is my sister and I are taking a leave from our jobs...and doing the Odyssey to Asia (27 day) Rome to Singapore on the Nautica and then on to a few weeks in SE Asia & India. We booked this over a year ago, for very similar reasons...to spend time with our mother (father in spirit...he was a huge traveller too). It seems that O is the cruise line of choice for excellent itineraries to spend life experiences for adult children travelling with parents. I am glad to get the chance to say thanks to you for the great read and parallel lines.

Susiesan - Thanks for your reply as well. We will be OK we are working with an asian specialty TA not Oceania. Thanks for the heads up! Glad you liked your stay. You all have confirmed what I really wanted to hear.

Stingraynz; I didn't go there on Oceania, but I have been there previously (although we didn't stay there, we did lunch there several times). It's atmospheric and very well situated. I do enjoy the slightly faded at the edges fell of similar places in Asia - one we always stay at is the eastern and oriental in Penang. Being as we are on the same cruise, I'll try to find some photos for you. As an aside, we last spent about ten days in HCMC and stayed at the Sofitel because at that time we were 'advantage plus' members and got a very good rate and 'buy-one-get-one-free' meals, which was a damn good deal. If I wasn't in that i would have gone for the Rex - but being as you are doing Cambodia as well it might be worth your while looking into that package as there are sofitels in Cambodia too, in fact most of SEA and they are quite nice.

"We will be OK we are working with an asian specialty TA not Oceania. Thanks for the heads up! Glad you liked your stay. You all have confirmed what I really wanted to hear".

Hello,

Could you post to the board or email me at the address below.

My husband would love to visit Viet Nam - I have looked at Tauck but am not comfortable yet in making a decision.

We were booked for an Oceania Cruise Hong Kong to Singapore and had to cancel they are no longer doing this cruise and are in Australia instead.

Dear stingraynz,

Sunday's L.A. Times Travel Section has a column, "Readers Recommend" and someone posted the following: "My husband and I stayed at the Rex Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City (formerly Saigon) in May and had a wonderful experience. The hotel is beautiful and the meals and service outstanding."

Sheila

Archived