You no longer are allowed to bring wine onboard.

This subject is a real 'sore spot' with me. As I have said many times on these boards, if only RCI would lower their prices to a reasonable markup, I am sure most of us could handle it and this thread would probably be non-existent.

NCL has lower prices by far and also offers a buy 5/get 1 free package. On my only cruise with them I never even considered trying to smuggle wine. It seemed like a fair deal. On the other hand I do with RCI.....it's all about the feeling that we're being taken and it doesn't sit well with this ol' gal.

M.

I have read this thread with interest............I have an opinion on smuggeling wine or booze on board but it really doesn't matter. I also don't care if others want to try and do it or not do it.........

but remember one thing.........and I think this is a point many fail to realize or accept.....

RC is not your local merchant.........whatever they charge is what they charge. Very similar to a restaurant........they have a wine list.......you either pay the price or don't order the bottle of wine. Don't expect them to compete with your local retailer.........they obviously in the middle of the Caribbean don't have to..........it's not like you can get up from the table 350 miles from port and run to the liquor store. Te expect them to price anything including services or alcohol based on what might be retail prices in your area........isn't going to happen.

I don't think anyone was really suggesting that they should be competitive with our local wine merchants. That's just more of a point of reference to gauge how much the mark-up is.

Some of the wines, btw are pretty reasonable. They seem to have the biggest markups on some of the more popular mass-market wines. I guess they figure a lot of people will buy those anyway, because they're familiar with those wines, making it a "safe" choice. I do think it would be nice if I could bring on a bottle of my own. We took a trip to California wine country earlier this year, and still have a few "special" bottles of wine from that trip. But unless they relax that rule, I'll be leaving my own wine at home.

You know the problem with that is people would bring their wine on board and still complain about the corkage fee since it's "theirs". They will want to bring their own corkscrew and then what would the dining room look like? Everyone bringing their own bottles and corkscrews in with them to dinner... it's ridiculous. You don't take your own alcohol to a restaurant. :rolleyes:

You do in the US. Many restaurants will allow, even encourage you to bring a wine that they do not serve and charge you corkage to ensure that they make something on it. It's not considered cheap, just pairing something new and different with the food offerings. They want the customer to be happy with the food/wine combination. We have a favorite local restaurant that only has one Italian red wine on its wine list. We have brought several favorites and poured the owner a glass to give him the idea that he should stock more of them.:)

What they generally won't let you do is bring a wine that they carry - that would be cheap, of course, and undercut their profit by a considerable margin.

Alcheme, you're right that, as you move up the retail price per bottle, the markup falls more in line with what a fine restaurant would charge. We're not full blown wine snobs (I will drink a nice merlot;) ) but like something in the mid range of the spectrum (my pricing reference is California, which of course gets some screaming deals compared to the rest of the country). A favorite Pinot Noir, Byron, retails at the winery for $25, at Von's for $29 (unless it's on sale), and RCI charges $44, which is quite fair. The Mondavi Private Collection Merlot, on the other hand, cost me $7.00 yesterday at Von's vs. $33 on the ship.

i always bring 2 or 3 bottles in addition to what i purchase in the dining room. i am a serious lifelong collector and when on vacation want to drink 60-100 dollar wholesale wines.

but then again i also bring vodka/vermouth/brandy/port for in cabin consumption.

This subject is a real 'sore spot' with me. As I have said many times on these boards, if only RCI would lower their prices to a reasonable markup, I am sure most of us could handle it and this thread would probably be non-existent.

NCL has lower prices by far and also offers a buy 5/get 1 free package. On my only cruise with them I never even considered trying to smuggle wine. It seemed like a fair deal. On the other hand I do with RCI.....it's all about the feeling that we're being taken and it doesn't sit well with this ol' gal.

M.

Depending on the wines you chose, RCI's diamond, gold an platinum wine packages are probably the equivalent of by 4 get 5th free.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftcatalog/category/home.do;jsessionid=0000_cRuJUGlSvdlGCC7Rgysk_P:10ktmerri?catCode=WINDIN

According to the site it can be as much as 25% off their normal wine list prices. Especially when you consider the package price includes the 15% gratuity.

I have always brought expensive wine on board all ships. They always a charge a corkage fee. Which I pay no problem.

Now they tell me you can't bring any wine.

Has anybody brought wine on board?

Sailed on Celebrity Milllie this past May..........did the Mediterean........had no problem bringing wine on board

Yup, a whole different world in the Med.

We enjoyed bringing a treasured find on board in each port, and sharing it with the wine steward. He actually looked forward to what fabulous find we dug up in the local ports.

Once again. It is not the price thing...as RCCL is simply no different than most restaurants with thier mark up. It is the fact that we are not allowed to bring on our treasures for a special occasion.

Cheers! :)

I have no problem with this policy or the corkage fee in the restaurants where they offer wine for sale, similar to restaurants on land. However, you should be able to bring wine for your personal consumption in your room or on your balcony. I have never heard of a hotel prohibiting outside liquor in your room or going through your luggage to make sure you are not brining liquor into your room.

Depending on the wines you chose, RCI's diamond, gold an platinum wine packages are probably the equivalent of by 4 get 5th free.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftca...catCode=WINDIN

According to the site it can be as much as 25% off their normal wine list prices. Especially when you consider the package price includes the 15% gratuity.

Hmmmmm.....I just checked this out and I must be doing something wrong! Maybe it's just too early for my brain to work.....or is the difference that 15% gratuity is added to the individual bottles and not the package?

As an example:

Wine Pck. #1427 5 bottles cost $129.95

Wine list #2289 5 x 1 bottle cost $129.75

Same wine.

Another poster also said that dining room wine price and selection is different from Wine List and Wine Package. Can anyone confirm this and how do we find out the differences?

Thanks,

M.

We have dear friends who will be joining us on their very first cruise in a year. I have told them about the policies and how their alcohol could be taken away, yet they are still going to try. I've told them, if they lose their booze/wine, not much I feel I can do about it. I just hope,since they are driving, they are not still waiting for us when we get back :(

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftca...catCode=WINDIN

Hmmmmm.....I just checked this out and I must be doing something wrong! Maybe it's just too early for my brain to work.....or is the difference that 15% gratuity is added to the individual bottles and not the package?

As an example:

Wine Pck. #1427 5 bottles cost $129.95

Wine list #2289 5 x 1 bottle cost $129.75

Same wine.

Another poster also said that dining room wine price and selection is different from Wine List and Wine Package. Can anyone confirm this and how do we find out the differences?

Thanks,

M.

On the other hand, if you select the Gold package at $129.95 vs. 5 bottles of the Danzante Pinot Grigio (#1308), by the bottle you pay $174.75 by the bottle, so that's actually a huge savings over the Gifts & Gear price. So it depends on which wine you pick, and if you like the Shiraz, stock up!;) . And I don't recall that Danzante being $34.95/bottle onboard, but I can't recall.

Tell you what: I'll be on the Jewel in a couple of weeks. I'll try to photograph the pages of the wine list with prices and post them on community webshots. No guarantees, though. In the meantime, here's the link to what RCI posts on their website as the domestic and international wine lists (without prices, though). I know from experience that they've changed the list quite a bit, as several of our faves do not appear on the domestic list. I'm not sure they even have different lists any more...

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/Domestic_Wine_List.pdf

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/pdf/European_Wine_List.pdf

"Tell you what: I'll be on the Jewel in a couple of weeks. I'll try to photograph the pages of the wine list with prices and post them on community webshots."

Thanks Jean.....I'll be waiting to see that. On second thought. I'd rather be going with you.....I am SO jealous!

Also....interesting about the other wine selection comparison.....I was just comparing apples and apples, or maybe grapes and grapes!

Have a great cruise.....

M.

New cruiser here, leaving July 14 on the Empress of the Seas. We probably won't try to smuggle any wine with us but don't understand how wine & dine works, when do you sign up, etc. Also, if you want to purchase wine to drink in your room, where do you do that? Is there room service? We will be traveling with a large group of family members and have a birthday and my dh's retirement to celebrate so we would like to have a private party. I am appalled by the prices but we'll deal with it.

Thanks! :)

New cruiser here, leaving July 14 on the Empress of the Seas. We probably won't try to smuggle any wine with us but don't understand how wine & dine works, when do you sign up, etc. Also, if you want to purchase wine to drink in your room, where do you do that? Is there room service? We will be traveling with a large group of family members and have a birthday and my dh's retirement to celebrate so we would like to have a private party. I am appalled by the prices but we'll deal with it.

Thanks! :)

You can either pay for the package online in advance or wait until you board the ship. You can only buy the package on the first day of your cruise. If you want to buy in advance, go to the RCI website, click on "Deals and Gifts" at the top of the page and go to "Shop Gifts & Gear" Then navigate to the Wine & Dine page. You will be able to see what wines are available at each level and quantity.

If you don't like any of the wines on that list, you can pre-order wine to be delivered to your stateroom - that's also in Gifts and Gear, under "Wine Cellar."

If you don't like any of those wines either, wait until you board and have a look at the dining room wine list. Your waiter or headwaiter will be able to tell you how to order bottles off that list for in-cabin consumption. I don't think Empress has the interactive TV that allows you to do it from your cabin, but I haven't been on her since 1995.;)

The room service menu in your cabin has a pitifully small selection of wines by the bottle, but you are not limited to those. You can also go to a bar & get bottles to take back to your cabin.

Have fun!

I hope the Empress lives up to your memories for us! I'm sure she will. BTW, I love your kitty w/broom avatar. Looks a bit like our new little one, Sammy, who I will miss so much while we're gone.

Archived