You no longer are allowed to bring wine onboard.

I have always brought expensive wine on board all ships. They always a charge a corkage fee. Which I pay no problem.

Now they tell me you can't bring any wine.

Has anybody brought wine on board?

You'll find lots of threads about this. Personally, I don't so much mind the ban on hard liquor as I can see how that can get out of hand. I don't think anyone bringing on a $50 bottle of wine is going to get wasted and cause trouble or go overboard, maybe a little tipsy and chatty......

I'd like to see something reasonable regarding wine like some other cruiselines. Maybe 1 bottle per adult on short cruises and 2 per adult on 7 days or longer instead of an all or nothing policy. (The mass market line I've heard of that lets you bring all the beer, wine and liquor you want is DCL.)

That said, I think I'm more miffed there is actually a policy against WATER being brought onboard. With the excursions in countries of questionable drinking water, I find that offensive. Anyway, I'm going on a short RCL cruise and decided not to smuggle EXCEPT water and I bet there won't be any problems with it. Being that its short, I can handle the bar tab and lack of wine selection. I'm bringing small waterbottles that were sealed in a group of 8 so they won't think I'm trying to get liquor onboard, mainly to keep the kids hydrated at pool and beach. Also bringing one gatorade sealed bottle in case anyone gets sick and needs something like that to sip on.

It is a shame they don't have some sort of compromise policy when it comes to wine but, thats the new policy. If its important to you, you might try to get a couple bottles onboard anyway, I'm not going to condem you for breaking official rules, I'm doing that with water and gatorade! They will likely give them back to you the last night if they get confiscated.

Has anybody tried pouring gatorade into an empty mouthwash bottle and attempted to sneak it on board that way? Perhaps if one slips a nice tip to the porter they will look the other way and not disturb the gatorade?

Has anybody tried pouring gatorade into an empty mouthwash bottle and attempted to sneak it on board that way? Perhaps if one slips a nice tip to the porter they will look the other way and not disturb the gatorade?

I've heard of some service called JBOY that can send Gatorade to your cabin in a gift basket.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't remember seeing anything on RCCL that says you can't bring water bottles. We always pack a rolling collapsible cooler with as many water bottles as will fit so we will have them for the week. We have always checked this as part of our luggage. Is this something new? We're leaving Sunday on FOS and I have the water ready to go!!

I've heard of some service called JBOY that can send Gatorade to your cabin in a gift basket.

Do they have the new lime flavor? That is my favorite. What is your favorite flavor?

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't remember seeing anything on RCCL that says you can't bring water bottles. We always pack a rolling collapsible cooler with as many water bottles as will fit so we will have them for the week. We have always checked this as part of our luggage. Is this something new? We're leaving Sunday on FOS and I have the water ready to go!!

If its not allowed, perhaps pouring them into empty mouthwash bottles and adding a few drops of food coloring would do the trick. I was thinking about doing this with my gatorade, but of course would not need to do the food coloring part.

However, I also heard that the tap water on board is actually so well filtered that it is higher quality than most bottled waters, so maybe you can use the rolling cooler for gatorade instead.

When we went on our 10 caribbean cruise, I needed to have a lot, I mean a lot of gatorade for my 3 girls and my husband, they dehydrate very fast. So what I did was bought a 64 oz bottle of gatorade, packed it in my checked luggage and then in another checked luggage I packed a measuring cup and a few canisters of the powdered gatordade. Then once the 64 oz bottle was empty, I would remake the powdered gatorade into that bottle and through it on ice or in the fridge and we were good as new. We thought that it worked out very well for us, and we plan on doing that next July for our 10 cruise again. Hope this was helpful!

When we went on our 10 caribbean cruise, I needed to have a lot, I mean a lot of gatorade for my 3 girls and my husband, they dehydrate very fast. So what I did was bought a 64 oz bottle of gatorade, packed it in my checked luggage and then in another checked luggage I packed a measuring cup and a few canisters of the powdered gatordade. Then once the 64 oz bottle was empty, I would remake the powdered gatorade into that bottle and through it on ice or in the fridge and we were good as new. We thought that it worked out very well for us, and we plan on doing that next July for our 10 cruise again. Hope this was helpful!

That's a great idea; and a space saver to boot! Now I just have to figure out what to do with all these extra bottles of mouthwash that I have been accumulating. Do they have the new lime flavor in the powder form yet? Also, did you find the tap water sufficient for mixing the powdered gatorade with, or did you have to sneak bottled water on board for mixing the powder?

Thanks

What is the penalty if caught smuggling gatorade on board? Is it best to sneak it in one's carry on, or better to check it with your larger luggage?

Gonzo, as you know so well, and have mentioned on other threads, the best way to get the Gatorade on board is to pack it in your Gator. :rolleyes: :D

Gonzo, as you know so well, and have mentioned on other threads, the best way to get the Gatorade on board is to pack it in your Gator. :rolleyes: :D

Not a bad idea either. On my first cruise I was too scared to try and smuggle gatorade on board I actually bought a whole case of gator gum and rung the gum out to try and make gatorade. Didn't work too well.

I have no idea about the new lime flavor in the powder mix. My kids like the Cool Blue and the Fruit Punch and thank the lord they make that in powder. As far as how it tasted with the water......my husband is the fussiest with his gatorade (he will not drink the powdered at home), but he had no problems with it and we used the tap. I don't know if it was because we craved the gatorade and at that point it just tasted good, or if you could taste the water, I would just add more powder flavor to it, and really add a lot of ice to your glass. You will be surprised at how good this works. I would make at least one to two bottles every night. Hope it works for you. Let me know.

If you email RCI and ask, the stock reply is that no beverages, including water or soda, may be brought on board. That policy isn't stated anywhere in the website that I've ever been able to find, nor is it in the cruise contract.

We bring some water & soda onboard most of our cruises. We refill the bottles from the tap and cool them down a bit in the fridge. It keeps us from having to lug a lot of heavy stuff onboard (we did that once, and it worked out OK but was a bit of a pain).

Everybody has their thing that they won't spend a lot of money on. I'll pay plenty for a nice bottle of wine, but I won't pay $2.95 for a small bottle of water.:rolleyes:

My parents work for a cruise line (I won't say which one.) A couple months ago, right after my last cruise, the rules changed. I was able to bring 2 bottles of wine, no questions asked on my last cruise. My parents tell me that you can bring soda and water on board now as long as it is a brand they do not currently sell. (Bring Pepsi and you are safe.) You may not bring on any wine or beer in the carry-on or they will take it and give it back at the end of your cruise.

As far as putting it in your luggage goes, they do not know the answer to that since they do not work in that department but they said they throw suitcases around like basketballs so if you do put something in there, use a lot of bubble wrap and hope it doesn't break or you will have a new color to your clothes if it spills.

I guess it's a sign of the times, I was hoping to bring a bottle of wine onboard that we really liked and pay the corkage fee.

I am just off one of the HAL cruises, which allow you to bring on as much wine/champagne as you wish.

We were most happy to pay the 15.00 corkage in the dining room to be able to have a superior bottle of wine that came from one of our favorite wineries that we have visited in the past.

The usual selections on the ship leave much to be desired. Our personal selections from our wine collection add to the memories to be had.

Cheers! :)

kellyjean: Did an RCI agent tell you that you can bring wine onboard if it is not on their wine list??? i absolutely love my Blackstone merlot and it is not on the list...

In Feb. i went on DCL Magic and brought 2 bottles of Blackstone and a case of water with no problem they just said to have in packed in a suitcase... and we still spent lots of money on liquor... it was a pleasure having a glass of wine in my room before dinner... Now i'm going on the Mariner next month and i am afraid to bring some wine because i dont want to get in trouble.... not sure what to do... :confused:

kellyjean: Did an RCI agent tell you that you can bring wine onboard if it is not on their wine list??? i absolutely love my Blackstone merlot and it is not on the list...

The RCI rep who made my reservation was named Laurel and she said that I could bring my own wine aboard if it was not one that RCI offered.

I booked a cruise for next year a couple of weeks ago during that 1-day sale. The RCI agent told me that you could bring wine onboard as long as it was NOT a wine that RCI offers onboard.

Keep in mind that some of those same agents were also telling people on June 15 that they could combine the one-day sale with C&A discounts. You can't.

Archived