You no longer are allowed to bring wine onboard.

alcheme, you are *scary* good!

lol Well, I saw that comment, and Blackstone Merlot is such a common wine that I thought, "Surely they carry that one." So I just pulled up the website and looked.

I booked a cruise for next year a couple of weeks ago during that 1-day sale. The RCI agent told me that you could bring wine onboard as long as it was NOT a wine that RCI offers onboard.

Your agent is wrong and hasn't kept up with the new rule. If you go to RCCL website, it used to say you had to pay a corkage fee if you brought your own wine. They have removed that from thier website and you can not carry on your own wine anymore.

Yeah. I don't understand their pricing. I mean, there's nothing much under $30 / bottle, but I don't understand why some $8 bottles of wine are marked up to $30 and others are marked up to $40.

Yeah. I don't understand their pricing. I mean, there's nothing much under $30 / bottle, but I don't understand why some $8 bottles of wine are marked up to $30 and others are marked up to $40.

No different from other places. I can get a (ooh fancy) Domaine Ste Michelle for 8.99 at a regular store. I can get it for 18 in the giftshop at the Seattle Westin (a few years ago). Or I can order it through room service at the SAME Westin on the SAME evening, for a mere $36.

When DH proposed (the second time...long story, there were actually three proposals, LOL, oh no, four), we went to our fave teensy restaurant in downtown Seattle. They made the evening really special (they thought he was surprising me :p ), and we had a bottle of Tattinger. He still won't tell me what he paid for it from them (he knows it would ruin it for me). But we've since seen the same Tattinger for quite low amounts of money at places like Cost Plus and the like (prices that don't make either of us feel faint, and he DEFINITELY felt faint when he saw how much Cafe Bengodi charged him).

They can, so they do.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't remember seeing anything on RCCL that says you can't bring water bottles. We always pack a rolling collapsible cooler with as many water bottles as will fit so we will have them for the week. We have always checked this as part of our luggage. Is this something new? We're leaving Sunday on FOS and I have the water ready to go!!

Sorry if this is a repeat, I didn't read the whole thread.

There is not an official written policy on water and non-alcholic beverages. It seems if you call RCI, about 75% of the time they tell you that you can't bring any beverages, but then if you ask why is it not posted any where on the web site, they say, "well, you can bring a little but don't get carried away".

Emails to RCI seem to 100% come back saying no beverages until you ask where it is written that you can't do it, and then they sometimes change what they are saying.

Whether or not people have been asked to throw things away at the port seems to depend on the port, the time of year (Spring break time) and other unknown factors.

No different from other places.

But it is different, as most restaurants will have a fairly standard mark-up. Here it seems to vary greatly. For example, they offer Cline Zinfandel at $28.95, Rosemount Shiraz at $32.95 and Blackstone Merlot at $40.95. Each of those is roughly an $8 bottle of wine from your local wine merchant.

sodas and water are OK. we brought a whole suitcase of canned sodas and water and had no problem checking it in. we stacked the whole fridge and the whole cruise I enjoyed the water I love to drink, = at warehouse prices! :D seagram's ginger ale, minute maid cranberry juice, snapple, Arizona green tea, you name it.

But it is different, as most restaurants will have a fairly standard mark-up. Here it seems to vary greatly. For example, they offer Cline Zinfandel at $28.95, Rosemount Shiraz at $32.95 and Blackstone Merlot at $40.95. Each of those is roughly an $8 bottle of wine from your local wine merchant.

It depends on where you live!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

I have always brought expensive wine on board all ships. They always a charge a corkage fee. Which I pay no problem.

Now they tell me you can't bring any wine.

Has anybody brought wine on board?

I too am a wine lover. I enjoy bringing select wines from my cellar on cruises. But whats the point - of 'hiding' wine in luggage if I can't take it to the dining room? RCCL is being very short sighted with the rule. Part of a good trip is good wine with meals.

Confiscate hard liquor and beer but let us wine folks bring wine. Limit the number of bottles but here's a suggestion - let us wine people prepay corkage for every bottle we want to bring on board.

Confiscate hard liquor and beer but let us wine folks bring wine. Limit the number of bottles but here's a suggestion - let us wine people prepay corkage for every bottle we want to bring on board.

You know the problem with that is people would bring their wine on board and still complain about the corkage fee since it's "theirs". They will want to bring their own corkscrew and then what would the dining room look like? Everyone bringing their own bottles and corkscrews in with them to dinner... it's ridiculous. You don't take your own alcohol to a restaurant. :rolleyes:

Has anyone located where it specifically says we can not bring water or soft drinks on board?

I believe this was discussed at length not that long ago and I think it comes down to your cruise contract that they can prevent you from bringing anything onboard they do not want you to have which you have signed and agree to. I do not believe it says anywhere on the website that you cannot bring soda or water but that's how RCCL can prevent you from bringing it if they want to. There was one story where someone showed up with cases of water in Florida and they would not let him bring it onboard. I think it's a matter of excess. I'm not sure if they will allow you to wheel a cooler full of water bottles onboard as they do sell bottled water. You would probably have no problem with a few bottles in your luggage. It also seems to depend on the ship. So the answer is no, there is nothing stating specifically you cannot bring soda or water but the cruise contracts allows them to ban it from bringing it onboard:o We brought 6 bottles of pepsi and 6 bottles of water onboard the Explorer in luggage a couple weeks ago and no one said anything. :o You'll have to just see what happens I guess if you try and bring a cooler full of water on the ship. i don't think the porters would say anything but like with alcohol it's the ships employees that find it and holds it until you get off the ship

... it's ridiculous. You don't take your own alcohol to a restaurant. :rolleyes:

Beg to differ. I have brought hard-to-acquire wine from my own private collection to 4 and 5 star restaurants all over this country, and others. They have had no problem with decanting and serving, with a corkage fee of course. This is a very common, and widely accepted, practice for oenophiles the world over...

Beg to differ. I have brought hard-to-acquire wine from my own private collection to 4 and 5 star restaurants all over this country, and others. They have had no problem with decanting and serving, with a corkage fee of course. This is a very common, and widely accepted, practice for oenophiles the world over...

There are many restaurants (at least in Florida) that have a BYOB policy. In other words they have a license that would allow you to BYOB but not to actually sell...I am sure it has something to do with INSURANCE policies..

I think one of the reasons RCCL is saying that you can't bring on water, is that there have been posts on here where people have said they found ways to fill the bottles with vodka and make it look like the seal hasn't been broken. One man said he brought a case of water (vodka) on like that.

I brought on a few bottles of water on Mariner last month and had no trouble at all. As far as bringing on your own wine, that was the policy up until last year. I think, could be wrong of course, that too many people brought on wine, used the ships glasses and drank their wine wherever they chose to. It wasn't uncorked in the dining room, it was done in their cabins and then taken to the dining room in glasses, to shows etc. RCCL was losing money on this, just like with the liquor, so poof, gone is the policy.

Every once in a while you can still see people bragging how the smuggled their stuff and then went all over the ship with it. Those are the people who ruined it for all of us. I really don't think that the people who truly brought wine or liquor to drink in their cabins in reasonable amounts caused the line to stop allowing this policy. (I am very well aware of the man going overboard from drinking too much of his own booze in the cabin as well as others going overboard from the booze of their own or purchased on the ship.)

Just like most things in life, some people take advantage of a good thing and then it disappears.

Not a bad idea either. On my first cruise I was too scared to try and smuggle gatorade on board I actually bought a whole case of gator gum and rung the gum out to try and make gatorade. Didn't work too well.

I have a great way for you to smuggle your gatorade onboard. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OMG Alcheme!! You are good. thanks for the info. However, the price is out of control, $40.00 a bottle when i pay $7.50 (small) or $15.00 (big bottle) @ Costco in NY...

Thanks again!

I think that the Blackstone Merlot on the list is from Sonoma County. there is a more generic Blackstone that is California which matches the price of around 7 to 8 dollars. The one that is Sonama County would run more. So I think the markup is really around times 4. Times 4 is bit greedy to me especially when the choices are limited and a bit ordinary and considering it is the only show in town since you can not bring on the wine of your choice for any price.

All the other cruise lines ( including Disney, Carnival, NCL, etc.) have better wine policies than RCI/Celebrity.

Archived