May Cruisers - current conditions

Yukon

With some of you getting on a ship in the next few days, I thought you might like to know how Spring is coming along here. At Juneau, Skagway and Carcross it's currently 42-43 degrees with forecast highs of 55, 56 and 60 respectively. If you head out of Skagway on an excursion, you'll very quickly be in winter, though, so be prepared. The snow is still 3 feet deep at White Pass Summit (where shooting of a new Robin Williams movie finished yesterday) and all the lakes are still locked tight in ice at least a foot thick. Here's what Lake Bennett at Carcross looked like yesterday - http://www.yukonalaska.com/lake_bennett-west_arm-6148-800.jpg

Happy cruising!

Murray

What are your thoughts on driving to Emerald lake in two weeks, is the trip worth it with everything snow covered and frozen.

Till we sail on the Norwegian Spirit \Leo

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;5;15;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

misguy - I think you'll find the drive to be extremely impressive. While the White Pass will still be snow-covered, that in itself makes it worth seeing. Further up, the snow is gone at lower elevations, and shallow lakes such as Spirit and Emerald should be clear of ice by then (the colour of Emerald Lake is just starting to show through the rotting ice now). The open water right now is covered with migrating ducks and swans - there are probably 200 of them within 150 yards of my front door this morning (a bird-watcher's dream!).

Murray

Hi,

we are sailing on our first cruise to alaska on may 22. Based on experience, does the temeprature significantly increase in the last part of May...or should I prepare for the same cold weather you described?

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the pic..........I am now using it as my desktop pic...

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;30;14;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000 RCCL Serenade--5/30--Alaska

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;10;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 RCCL Jewel--10/28--repositioning

**RCCL SOS-8/27/04** Carnival Miracle-2/13/05**

Thanks fo the update Murray!!! Can't wait to hear how the weather will be when we sail on May 29th. Thanks again for all of your input and for updating the mile marker log on your website - we absolutely cannot wait to drive up to Carcross and Emerald lake icon_biggrin.gif

NCL 11/96

Windjammer 6/98

Splendour of the Seas 8/02

Radiance of the Seas 5/04

Murray: Thank you for everything, i.e., all the web sites, misc. info, etc. You are a treasure.

The photo is beautiful and we are so excited about making the trip from Skagway to Emerald Lake.....

I notice what appears to be an animal by the rr tracks???? Is it a dog, elk, or my imagination?

Thanks again for everything!

Pooh Bear

=^-.-^=

(AKA/Sharon and Will)

5-9summit2.gif

REMBRANDT - Med. 9/1998: and so it begins!

LEGEND OF THE SEA - Med. 5/1999

SPLENDOR OF THE SEA - Med. 5/2000

INFINITY - Hawaii 4/2001

MILLIE -Med. - 5/2002 (X No Go)

RHAPSODY OF THE SEA - Mardi Gras - 2/2002

INFINITY - Trans-Canal - 12/2002

SUMMIT - Alaska Repo Cruise - 5/2003

INFINITY - Trans-Canal - 12/2003

And next:

SUMMIT -Alaska/Pacific Coast Repo Cruise - 5/2004

We are Homeland Cruising now!

**No clock - too much trouble - but I'LL KNOW EXACTLY WHEN SUMMIT LEAVES FROM SAN DIEGO FOR THE 14-NIGHT PACIFIC/NW/ALASKA CRUISE**

(5/21/04!!)

poy - of all months of the year, May and September are the two that you don't want to bet a dollar on what will happen. It will get warmer than it is now, but whether it's 5 degrees or 20+ degrees warmer is anyone's guess.

Murray

Murray... thank you for all the information. We'll be doing the Skagway to Emerald Lake drive in August so I imagine most or all the snow will be gone... yes? And, what a great looking dog Kayla is! Can't wait to see the area and to taste one of those cinnamon buns.

Sandy

Thanks from me too, Yukon! If that scenery is what you can enjoy by living in Alaska, I just might unpack my bags and stay put.

We leave Vancouver on May 28th, so I'll be checking back for late May updates. I have several weather websites for Alaska bookmarked, too.

"...First-time cruiser who is very, very excited....thanks to all of you!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Yukon:

misguy - I think you'll find the drive to be extremely impressive. While the White Pass will still be snow-covered, that in itself makes it worth seeing. Further up, the snow is gone at lower elevations, and shallow lakes such as Spirit and Emerald should be clear of ice by then (the colour of Emerald Lake is just starting to show through the rotting ice now). The open water right now is covered with migrating ducks and swans - there are probably 200 of them within 150 yards of my front door this morning (a bird-watcher's dream!).

Murray<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Murray, that's a gorgeous pic, thanx. We will be leaving for Alaska next week, May 5, on Mercury. (a bird-watcher's dream) hubby & I are bringing enough clothes to stay up there forever- So, can we move in with YOU icon_biggrin.gif

***an avid bird watcher***

SOON Now....Very Soon ;-}

Yukon, thanks for the picture it is really beautiful. I will be leaving in about four days am really looking forward to it. First time in Alaska but am sure it won't be my last. Will pack mostly warm closthes and a couple short sleeve shirts just in case.

Delores

5/6 Regal Princess/ San Francisco

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;6;15;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Murray,

Thanks for the information. We leave on the 14th from Vancouver and will be in Skagway on the 19th. Guess I'll bring winter clothes. Am taking the train and bus, will I still need heavy clothes.

Thanks

Phyllis

P. S. Photo was great

thanks so much for the "current conditons" posting, yukon! (btw, i also printed out your road trip report for skagway-carcross). my question is about the driving conditions for the skagway-carcross trip - is there a lot of snow on the road still, and will that make it difficult to do this drive? should we just cancel the car rental and go on the train? we will also be renting cars in juneau and ketchikan - worth it, or not? we will be on the diamond princess leaving for alaska on may 8th - will be in juneau on the 10th, skagway on the 11th and ketchikan on the 13th. also, i've read and heard from people that mosquitoes can be a problem in alaska - should we be concerned about that in the ports that i mentioned? thank you again so much for all your input. looking forward to your reply!

Archived