Sydney for HALF day before flight home...

lesliew

We disembark from the Statendam in the morning, but our flight is not until 4:00 pm the same day. Is there 'anything' we can do to see some sights in the area for a few hours before heading to the Airport? Or, some kind of tour we could take which would go from Port to Airport (bus/taxi/etc?) Does the city have a hop on/hop off bus? Or is there some other way we can make use of this very limited time? We would have to either take our luggage with us, or have it stored somewhere? Any suggestions appreciated... we unfortunately do not have enough time off to take any extra time to stay in Sydney. Thanks.

Hi Lesliew

I am gathering you will dock at about 7am.. that what time most ships come into Sydney... It can take up to 4 hours to disembark s you arent going to really have a lot of time as you will need to be at the airport about 2 hours prior to flying if you are on an international flight..

We do have a hop on/hop off bus... but I suggest that you just walk up to Circular Quay and around there... You dock right in the centre of Sydney.. From there you can see (and walk to) the Sydney Opera House... see the Harbour Bridge... go to some little souvenior shops... and get a taste of Sydney...(all be it a small taste)..

I would then catch the airport bus (its green from memory) on the main street (George Street) all the way to the airport and will see a lot of the city street etc from the bus...

It is a real pity that you couldnt stay for a bit after your cruise...

I am only stumped on what you can do with your luggage while having a wander through the city... If I think of something I will let you know...

Have a great time

Meg

A Sydneysider born and bred...

Would it work to go directly to the airport and check in the luggage and then go back into town on the train to Circular Quay and have a walk around then back to the airport. Just a thought. It would solve the luggage problem. Do you have to stay at the airport after you check in - if not then it might give a little extra time.

I am wondering if you would be able to leave your luggage for a few hours at the dock as I have checked and cannot find any luggage lockers in the nearby vicinity and Central Station which used to have them doesn't provide them any more.

As the ship will be docked close to Circular Quay, I would take a walk around that area, going to the Rocks area which is one of the first places that was settled way back in the early 1800's. It is a fun place to explore.

Then I would catch a ferry to Tooronga Park Zoo. This is a short ferry trip of about 15 minutes which gives you a good insight of the harbour and the way a lot of Sydneysiders commute to work. Once at the Zoo, catch the chair lift to the top and walk down slowly, looking at the animals and enjoying the magnificent view. At the bottom, catch the Ferry back to Circular Quay.

If you have left the ship early, around 8.30am, you should still have time to walk around the Opera House and its precinct and take a stroll in the Botanical Gardens which are right next door.

If you catch a cab to the airport, it should only take 15-20 minutes so I would prepare to leave the city by 1pm.

If you still have some time left, then walk to the Harbour Bridge and climb one of the towers. A morning is not really doing Sydney justice but a little is better than nothing at all.

Hope this helps a little.

Jennie

I am gathering you will dock at about 7am.. that what time most ships come into Sydney... It can take up to 4 hours to disembark s you arent going to really have a lot of time as you will need to be at the airport about 2 hours prior to flying if you are on an international flight..

I am only stumped on what you can do with your luggage while having a wander through the city...

Yes, luggage is a problem. I don't know if lesliew is having a pre-cruise stay in Sydney. If so, it is possible that they could ask to make an arrangement to use the luggage storage facility in their hotel for this one morning after the cruise.

Otherwise, I can't immediately think of anything other than the trek out to the airport to either check-in (unlikely to be possible that much in advance of the flight) or to leave it at left luggage, and then return to town.

But that is a venture that will take 1½ to 2 hours in total, and it would be another half an hour to get back again to the airport. If it's possible to disembark at 9 am, and lesliew has to be at the airport by 2 pm to check-in, that will actually only give 2½ hours back in the centre of Sydney.

If the weather's good, I would personally be inclined to disembark slowly, go no further than one of the cafes/restaurants on the toasters side of Circular Quay, park myself there and watch people and scenery until lunchtime, and then head to the airport. (For non-Sydneysiders: The "toasters" are the buildings on the side of Circular Quay opposite the Overseas Passenger Terminal. You just need to walk down to the ferry piers and then keep going around up the other side towards the Opera House.)

I would then catch the airport bus (its green from memory) on the main street (George Street) all the way to the airport and will see a lot of the city street etc from the bus...

Does the Airporter bus still run?

Last time we came off a cruise we looked for it at Circular Quay,but were told it had stopped running since the train line was extended to the airport.

With luggage, and having to change stations at Central ,we found it easier to get a cab.

Does the Airporter bus still run?

Last time we came off a cruise we looked for it at Circular Quay,but were told it had stopped running since the train line was extended to the airport.

With luggage, and having to change stations at Central ,we found it easier to get a cab.

I don't think that it does, any more. I never used it, but I have vague recollections of it. However, this page says:-
By Bus:

State Transit Bus #400 to Bondi Junction: This is now the only public bus service calling at the airport.

Route: It runs from Bondi Junction to Burwood via the airport (both Intl and Domestic). The route is Bondi Junction, Randwick Junction (Belmore Rd), Kingsford (Anzac Parade & Gardeners Rd), Maroubra Junction (Anzac Parade & Maroubra Rd), Pagewood (Eastgardens), Mascot Shops (Botany Rd & Robey St), Domestic Terminal (Lower Level), Intl Terminal (Lower Level), Rockdale Railway Station, Bexley Noth Station, Campsie station and Burwood Rd at Westfield.

Timings: It runs Mon-Fri 0450-2230, Saturday 0512-2227 and on Sundays & Holidays 0515-2230, roughly every 30 mins. First and last departures from the Intl Terminal are Mon-Fri 0527-2321, Saturdays 0546-2318 & Sundays & Holidays 0548-2318.

However, I'm not sure why you had to change trains at Central? The train should run direct from Circular Quay to the airport. I certainly did this when I stayed at the Sydney Harbour Marriott and had to get to the airport for an early flight the next morning.

• 2 weeks later...

In both Seattle and Auckland, on previous cruises, we were able to leave our luggage for a few hours at a major hotel (with the bellman). For the price of a nice tip, we were then luggage free to do a bit of sightseeing until time to head to the airport. In Auckland, they even arranged for airport transportation for us. Worth a try.

Lesliew,

What a shame you cannot spend more time in Sydney:( .

Your luggage will be your first priority so you can follow the ideas above, or check these sites below as an alternative for storage

http://www.travellers.com.au/default.asp?action=article&ID=112

More expensive, but excellent service -

http://www.cbdstorage.com.au/default.asp?goto=includes/lugg/lugg_layout.inc

That out of the way, you should know that there is not one airport bus in the city, but several. I would suggest a taxi as it's quicker and more comfortable. The best taxis in Sydney can be booked on 133300 if you cannot find one.

Otherwise, you can get the Airport train.

http://www.airportlink.com.au/

It runs from all city circle stations.

Now it's time to enjoy what little time you have. I would have suggested a ferry trip on the harbour, but you've been on the boat for a couple of days by now I'm guessing. Whenever I'm doing a stopover, if I don't know anyone there I always jump on a tour bus. Ok, so you look like a tourist but who cares, at least you get to see and learn about everything of interest. I suggest explorer bus.

http://www.sydneypass.info/sydneyexplorer/

There are maps at this site so you can see all the places you would be visiting.

I hope this helps and I hope you enjoy visiting my home:) .

Terry

Thank you everyone for excellent suggestions... gives us some great plans to work on. I agree, very sad :( we cannot spend more time there... Although I see it as a great excuse to return for a much longer visit some time.

You sound knowledgable about Sydney. Can you suggest a hotel right there where we could stay for a night. We will extend if it's that easy.
There are many threads on this forum (Australia and New Zealand) about Sydney hotels. You might want to try a search.

Also you might want to note this piece of netiquette:-

Answer Postings on the Boards, Not in E-mail

Please try to answer message board posts on the boards instead of E-mail when appropriate. There is a lot of great information that we're all missing because it is passing through private E-mail. There are of course times when private E-mail is more appropriate but if you have information that would be helpful to many people, please try to come back to the boards and post it rather than replying to a posting through E-mail.

Can you suggest a hotel right there where we could stay for a night. We will extend if it's that easy.

There are alot of hotels in Sydney and living here I've only stayed in a couple so I've included a link which may be able to best guide you on a hotel.

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Australia_and_Oceania/Australia/State_of_New_South_Wales/Sydney-1869538/TravelGuide-Sydney.html

Terry

We are booked on Mercury .. Auckland to Sydney Feb 3-18 '08. According to our itinerary we arrive in Sydney in the morning...spend the entire day in port....stay on board one more night & then disembark the next morning. If your itinerary is the same that would give you that 1st day to look around & get a better idea how to manage that last day. Never having been there myself...I dunno either!...lol we may be wanderring aimlessly together!..lol

Good Luck & have a great trip!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Lesliew

I am only stumped on what you can do with your luggage while having a wander through the city... If I think of something I will let you know...

make that 3 hrs before plane departs...all international flights require you to be checked in from 3 hrs before now..with extra security and all that jazz...so if you get off the ship by 10.30 am( which is very realistic) you still need to transfer from the port to the airport,make that about 45 mins with traffic, providing you get a cab quickly.. Airport is the ONLY PLACE that you can leave your luggage for a few hours(they have a BAGGAGE CHECK/HOLD AREA ..ABOUT $10-15 FOR 1/2 A DAY, near Mc Donalds down stairs)..so it's now about 11.30 and you are still at the airport leaving your bags, you still have to get transport to WHEREVER it is you want to go , and you have to be back at the airport by 1pm!!!!

forget it...find a good book, a good coffee shop and wait it out...just stay on the ship as LOOOONNNGG as you can and soak up some time, don't stress it ..it's too much trouble.

OR STAY ANOTHER NIGHT!!

You sound knowledgable about Sydney. Can you suggest a hotel right there where we could stay for a night. We will extend if it's that easy. email to andersonsgarden@yahoo.com

Michigan 2

If we stay close to the Airport because of early flights...

Holiday Inn is the closest and is just fine..nice restaurant and the BEST BREAKFAST BUFFET IN TOWN!!...rates are good and they have a shuttle both ways, very reliable.

If we want to be closer to the action in Sydney, we stay at Pacific International Apartments http://www.pacificinthotels.com/sydney/george.aspx

20 min from airport,and just a short walk (5 min) from Darling Harbour, etc..it's a really great little boutique type hotel, with kitchenette, lounge etc and very inexpensive.they also have an excellent restaurant for brekky or dinner...a short cab ride back to airport, or if you hire a car , they have a parking station underneath..

Last time (June) we had an early morning flight out of Sydney we stayed at the Stamford Plaza at the airport. Our room was very comfortable and the breakfast was good.

We got a good rate on the net directly with the hotel which included breakfast.

Jennie

I disembark in Auckland and am looking for a tour for the day so my luggage will be stored on a tour bus and I can see the sights in Auckland. Can anyone recommend a good tour for the day? Judy:)

If we want to be closer to the action in Sydney, we stay at Pacific International Apartments http://www.pacificinthotels.com/sydney/george.aspx

20 min from airport,and just a short walk (5 min) from Darling Harbour, etc.

Can you just clarify for me whether you mean the Hotel or the Apartments? or have you used both? Do you know how long a walk either is to Circular Key or the Opera House? The rates at both seem pretty good especially the hotel. How is the hotel rated - 3***? Thanks.

20 min from airport,and just a short walk (5 min) from Darling Harbour, etc.

Can you just clarify for me whether you mean the Hotel or the Apartments? or have you used both? Do you know how long a walk either is to Circular Key or the Opera House? The rates at both seem pretty good especially the hotel. How is the hotel rated - 3***? Thanks.

We have stayed at the P.I.apartments( in George st Sydney)

if you mean that one...I don't know why it's 3 ***...because we thought for the price, it was great..I would say 4****..remember though, it's not a resort hotel, but a hotel right in the city.

you would need to catch a cab to Circular Quay & the Opera house is around the bend from there..

( too far to walk there, it's right down the end of the city, the main streets in Sydney CBD are very long streets)...

here's a great map for you to interact with..you can see that George St is on 4 of them from Central to Circular Quay

http://www.hoteltravel.com/australia/sydney/maps.htm

• 2 months later...
We are booked on Mercury .. Auckland to Sydney Feb 3-18 '08. According to our itinerary we arrive in Sydney in the morning...spend the entire day in port....stay on board one more night & then disembark the next morning. If your itinerary is the same that would give you that 1st day to look around & get a better idea how to manage that last day. Never having been there myself...I dunno either!...lol we may be wanderring aimlessly together!..lol

Good Luck & have a great trip!

We are on the same cruise with you "happypics" and have already booked Mercury's shore excursion to the Koala Park Sanctuary with a transfer to the airport. However, it is possible that our flight will leave earlier, and so this won't work. AND, I'm not impressed with the photos from the Koala Park, and wonder if we shouldn't do a different animal sanctuary the day before where we can hold the koalas (a big must-do for me!). Can any Kiwis comment on the Koala Park Sanctuary or alternatives?

And thanks to everyone for luggage storage options, in case we decide not to do that shore excursion.

Joyce

Okay - some bad news for you tourists about holding a koala... the only state in Australia where that is LEGAL is Queensland. In all NSW parks, the zoo/animal park employee holds the koala, while you snuggle up to the koala (and the employee.... hopefully he/she is handsome/cute) for you to take a picture. :)

That is my information, and I am happy to be wrong :D , but I looked into it a few years ago as I had a pic when I was a child, and was going to do it again with my wife, when I was told. :(

There are a few parks in Sydney, but I really like Symbio - although it is in Stanwell Tops..... about 90-120 mins from Circular Quay depending on the route taken and the traffic, so I don't expect it would be popular with tourists who only have a day to spare. If that is you, go to Taronga Zoo and have your picture taken there! The views are totally worth it too. :)

Good luck,

Mark.

Archived