As You Wish Dining - Opinions, Comments and Discussions

silvercruiser

Sailed on the 1/26 Noordam cruise. Were not able to get fixed seating and were willing to try the open seating. Found it to be totally disorganized. We do not go on a cruise to stand in a long line in order to get a beeper and then wait for a table. Eventually we were able to get fixed, but with a great deal of difficulty.

If HAL wants this to be successful, anyone who wants fixed should be able to have it and those who want open should have that available to them. It seemed that many passengers wanted fixed, but were not able to get a table even though there were empty seats for the first few evenings in the upper diningroom.

When I sent an enquiry email to HAL yesterday regarding my upcoming March cruise on the Zuiderdam, mentioning of course that I had booked it months and months ago and requested early upper, then when I got my doc's of course they noted that we were AYW dining. I sent an email to HAL and expressed my displeasure (in a perfectly polite - but succinct - way. The reply that came back went on and on about the benefits and pleasures of AYW dining and wouldn't it be fabulous, and all we had to do was go to one of the many bars around the ship to enjoy free hors d'oeurves and perhaps a nice cocktail while waiting on our table.

They really aren't paying any attention to all of us out here who continually express our discontent at the situation, are they? I don't understand why a year and half into the program they are still convinced it is the right way to go. Surely the percentage of happy diners is tiny compared to all the opinions I see of people who do not care for the option. Apparently, no HAL big wigs read these forums, or they might just get a clue.

They really aren't paying any attention to all of us out here who continually express our discontent at the situation, are they? I don't understand why a year and half into the program they are still convinced it is the right way to go. Surely the percentage of happy diners is tiny compared to all the opinions I see of people who do not care for the option. Apparently, no HAL big wigs read these forums, or they might just get a clue.

Open seating was launched on the Noordam, just last May.

I suspect that the number of posters on this board are but a few grains of sand compared to the almost one million passengers they carry a year.

Very interesting the chatter here about dining. Since we have most always been on long voyages, 30 days plus, we have not experienced the so called “any time you wish dining experience” per se. We have always had no choice but to except the so called “traditional” which today really isn’t the “traditional” of yesteryear, where all three meals were at assigned tables with the same partners. (We experienced that on our very first cruise.) Many posters here appear to assume that the preponderance of HAL clients want so called traditional, most of which base their argument upon the fact that HAL has extensive waitlists for traditional. They may have a point. But, as I explained in an earlier post, we have never been on a cruise where you had any other option than “traditional” and we have been waitlisted from the getgo on just about every voyage, including many on Princess. I mentioned previously, that in four weeks we will be boarding the Prinsendam for a 73 day voyage. We booked almost 10 months ago and all dining was waitlisted then, and today we are still waitlisted, as is all dining. Don’t get me wrong, no big deal for us, HAL, always gets it squared away anyway. The point is, there is, and has been, a waitlist for traditional on that ship and that ship does not offer AYWD. Don’t bother to post that that the Prinsendam will soon be going to AYWD as I know that and that isn’t the point. The point is, even though the ship offers only “traditional” you are waitlisted until about the time you board, AYWD has nothing to do with the equation. Furthermore, a little over two months ago, we got off a 35 day cruise on the Amsterdam. No AYWD there either. Traditional was waitlisted from booking to boarding. In the dining rooms, most of the time, there were more empty seats than occupied ones. We would have much preferred to have had the option of sitting at the empty seats along with recently met lonely friends dutifully sitting at their assigned seats instead of sitting with the bores at our assigned places. About the ship there was some chatter over the coming AYWD, which incidentally most seemed to want. However, there was much more concern about the changing dress codes. Some folk wanted more casual, but some were very unhappy about the informal trend. That is where we really witnessed anguish, much more so than over dining arrangements, a lot of folk wanted to stick with a few formal nights a week and were very vocal over the drift toward more relaxed dress codes. We happen to go along with the formal argument crowd. However, in a way, we can say we have experienced AYWD for years, because that is what you get at breakfast and lunch with the so called “traditional”. We love relationships at breakfast and lunch. But give us this new AYWD for dinner too. If given the opportunity, I’m certain we will love it as well.

As you wish dining and a relaxed dress code are both here and will be here to stay. Those who want traditional dining and those who want to dress to impress or pretend to be whatg they are not will also be able to have it their way. For those who can't accept it, they will have something to whine about.

Open seating was launched on the Noordam, just last May.

I suspect that the number of posters on this board are but a few grains of sand compared to the almost one million passengers they carry a year.

Just last May is nearly a year. Fact is, we were given to understand that this was all going to go smoothly in no time at all. Fact is, it apparently isn't.

And though those here are but a "few grains of sand", as with everything else for everyone posting here there are probably thousands who agree and just don't post here.

Some like AYW, some don't. But let's not negate how many obviously don't and are quite obviously disappointed..

Tip,

I dress up to look good and feel good. I'm sorry, but I look a darn sight better in my evening wear, heels, and good jewelry than I do in my jeans, flannel shirt, and Keds. :D

I truly enjoy dressing for dinner, and cruising is one of the last venues where this is still a part of the experience, at least on HAL.

For those who want a more casual dining experience, there are lines that provide that. Nothing wrong with casual, just not my "thang" (as we say in the South).

Roz

As you wish dining and a relaxed dress code are both here and will be here to stay. Those who want traditional dining and those who want to dress to impress or pretend to be whatg they are not will also be able to have it their way. For those who can't accept it, they will have something to whine about.

WOW! I didn't know that just because we enjoy getting dressed up puts us in the category of trying to impress someone or pretending to be something we're not. We enjoy doing this for ourselves -- because it makes us feel good not because we're trying to impress anyone. I believe there's room for both casual and formal on a cruise and one shouldn't necessarily exclude the other. With respect to AYWD, we haven't experienced it yet. On our upcoming cruise on the Westerdam, we're fortunate to have confirmed traditional seating (again, it's what WE like). We experiences "free style" dining on NCLA this past summer in Hawaii and as far as I'm concerned, it's anything but free style or as you wish. It ends up being a game of making reservations, not being allowed to make reservations, etc. It's a misnomer to call it aywd when in fact, you can't eat whenever, wherever you want.

...or pretend to be whatg they are not will also be able to have it their way. For those who can't accept it, they will have something to whine about.

I found that a little more than offensive. Because some of us enjoy getting dressed up we're pretending to be something we're not? I assure you I am a lady whether I'm in my usual jeans and t-shirt or a beautiful gown. Most of the time I'm in either jeans and a t-shirt or shorts and a t-shirt. I don't get that chance where I live to dress up because everything is very casual. So I look forward to formal nights on the cruises I go on, and always have. There's something about putting on a beautiful dress that just puts a smile on my face - I enjoy it. An elegant dinner being elegently dressed is fun - I'm not trying to impress anyone or pretending to be someone I'm not.

Lydia

The dress code, by the way, is the same for both the open and traditional/fixed seating options in the main dining venue. For a more casual experience apparel-wise, passengers may dine in the Lido.

Perhaps I don't understand your connection between open and casual.

those who want to dress to impress or pretend to be whatg they are not

Heck yes I dress to impress .. My Husband never ever fails to tell me how lovely I look in my gown ..

and I pretend to be something I am not too .. the most beautiful woman on the ship .. to him.

BTW he wears a Tux for formal night .. and that Never Ever fails to impress me.

Don't see a thing wrong with my attitude there ..

DH and I were on the 1/27 sailing of the Westerdam and opted for the Lido 5 of the 7 nights on board including formal nights even though we'd taken evening clothes. We enjoyed the informality of the Lido and got superb service. We also had 5:45 seating which was just too early.

We've booked the Zuiderdam for next January and opted for the As You Wish Dining for the flexibility with the Lido always an option.

I'm just guessing the majority of people who don't like traditional dining is because the early seating is usually before 6 pm(too early), and the 8pm late seating is a bit too late.

The biggest problem HAL has with AYW is that the majority of their passengers want to dine between 7:00 & 7:30 and HAL just doesn't have the dinning room capacity to accommodate everyone, so many are asked to take a pager and return when they are paged.

We enjoy the late seating, but after 11 cruises we've never been able to get a table at the early seating on ANY cruise we've book. I think this is part of the reason that HAL has introduce AYW. I also think HAL has done some market research and focus groups, like most companies do, and asked people who've not cruised before "what kept them from taking a cruise". I bet the majority of the respondents didn't cruise because of the restrictive dining time. Many of my friends who don't cruise say its' because "they don't like the idea of set dining times".

AYW is great when everyone gets what they want. However, the biggest problem from reading this board is the few people seem to be getting what they want.

AYWD sounds like a great idea...I'm so tired of getting late dining....6 of 7 cruises I have had late dining.

Oh my. I'm just popping back in here and am truly amazed that there is STILL a lot of dining confusion here.

I'm so sorry for HAL. It is difficult to try to "fit a square peg into a round hole," which is what they had to do given their DR configurations. It's a challenge to "be all things to all people."

I think there are some terrific "pointers" on the "What & How" thread. But, in the end,.........there's been a lot of work, a lot of hassle, a lot of extra effort for a WHOLE LOT of people trying to make this work. Not just HAL cust. service, dining staff...but also for the clients who've learned they need to either hassle their TA's or, perhaps failing that, make a call everyday to get their dining time. A whole lot of work.

We seem to be hardy folk. We'll "work for food!" With effort, maybe, most likely, we'll get what we want! Whew. What a vacation?

Maybe HAL 's AYWD should be renamed: Anyway....YOU'LL Work Dining.

Martha

:o

We seem to be hardy folk. We'll "work for food!" With effort, maybe, most likely, we'll get what we want! Whew. What a vacation?

Maybe HAL 's AYWD should be renamed: Anyway....YOU'LL Work Dining.

Martha

:o

Martha, LoL. Good One.

What a terrific end to a thread, if only it were the end.

Just for fun I peeked in here to see if all this has been straightened out. I assumed with all the popularity of AYD dining:D , this thread would have turned into sort of a Kum Ba Ya moment;) .

But no.:o Wonder how long before HAL gives in and recognizes the popularity of Traditional and figures out a way to deal with that as well as those who want a more leisurely experience with AYW.

Maybe they'll just have to start designing their ships to accommodate both the way Princess seems to do.

Me too. I hadn't looked at it for a month, probably. Guess what? The same person who has never sailed HAL is still cheerleading AYWD. :D Some things are just too predictable.

jc

Me too. I hadn't looked at it for a month, probably. Guess what? The same person who has never sailed HAL is still cheerleading AYWD. :D Some things are just too predictable.

jc

Actually, he is onboard the Noordam, right now and open seating is working out for them with a reservation and not.

Experiences will vary depending upon the dining whims of other passengers.

It's been years since Princess went to open dining and nary a week goes by that someone does not start a thread, pro or con. Sometimes the concept works well and sometimes not.

Actually, he is onboard the Noordam, right now and open seating is working out for them with a reservation and not.

Experiences will vary depending upon the dining whims of other passengers.

It's been years since Princess went to open dining and nary a week goes by that someone does not start a thread, pro or con. Sometimes the concept works well and sometimes not.

Hmmmmmm...I wonder who you guys are talking about. It's going to be tough to crack this one.....:D :D

What a terrific end to a thread, if only it were the end.

I can't think of why you'd want it to end. I think this is a valuable thread for those who want to read the pros and cons of AYW dining. It may be tossed around a bit more than it needs to be, but what else is new:) ? This is CC after all;) .

Overall, I've gotten the feeling it's not working out all that well for HAL. I'm sure they'll sort it all out because it's in their best interest to do so.

In the meantime, there really are a lot of disappointed people because they just can't get what they wish.

In the meantime, there really are a lot of disappointed people because they just can't get what they wish.

The naming convention begged for trouble. What were they thinking?

There were disappointed people before open seating and there are disappointed people after open seating. We are, I think, grains of sand in terms of the total number who sail with HAL.

The naming convention begged for trouble. What were they thinking?

LOL:D ! That's so true, Hammy!

I agree that CC members are only grains of sand in the eyes of HAL. But I wasn't speaking about just CC members. I'm referring to the overall reaction on the ships. From what I'm hearing (not CCers), HAL has simply not sorted it all out and there's quite a bit of confusion.

Over time I'm sure it will all work out. But for now, except for some who aren't having any trouble with it, there are those who want Traditional who aren't getting it and are unhappy .... and then there are those who want AYW but it's not working out the way they had hoped.

So overall, it needs work. Rome wasn't built in a day and I guess AYW isn't either.

Indeed, As You Wish is indeed working out fine. By comparison, Holland America has yet to adequately change their standard operating procedures sufficiently to adjust to the reality of recurrent norovirus outbreaks: Their inadequate facility and logistical changes cause substantial service inadequacies in the Lido, affecting practically everyone using the Lido during a Code Red in a negative manner, while the open seating situation in the Vista Dining Room is an improvement for some and a disappointment to others.

... Holland America has yet to adequately change their standard operating procedures sufficiently to adjust to the reality of recurrent norovirus outbreaks: ...

Bicker,

This got my attention, so I pulled a partial quotation from your post and started a new thread, instead of hijacking this one (and making it longer, when hammybee is hoping it ends soon :D ). I think you have something worth discussing! Please go to the new thread I started and share with us your thoughts on how HAL can change to help prevent the virus.

Thanks,

Dave