As You Wish Dining - Opinions, Comments and Discussions

silvercruiser

... but they may be able to eventually accomodate you all in fixed seating.

... why not just make reservations every night in the as you wish dining option?

Fixed seating is an As You Wish dining option.

Edited by RuthC

I am confused, I will admit. There is a group of us going on the Zuiderdam doing a cruisetour leaving on Aug 28th. Most of the group was wait listed for the early seating and our TA told us that we could get the early seating if we requested it as we boarded the ship. But DH and I got Open Seating. We did book thru a different TA because of some credit that we had, but does that mean we will not be with our group? Do need to add this is a cruisetour so we will only be on board the first 3 days, but that is the same with our entire group. This is our first time on HA and this would be a problem as we are going to celebrate my brother's 50th birthday. I would hate that our family could not be together. We all booked over a year ago, how early do you have to book to keep a group together with HA?

HAL will assign tables to those who will be on the cruise for the entire 7 days first according to their requests and time of booking. Fixed dining fills up very quickly.

Since you are a larger group and only going to be on the ship for 3 days -- those requests are usually done last.

You would be wise if all of you selected the Open Seating dining venue. Then you all can go to the dining room at the same time -- any time between 5:15 and 9 PM and reguest the size of table you want. Reservations can be made for Open Seating only for the hours between 5:15 - 6:15 and 7:30 - 9 PM. Between 6:15 and 7:30 -- you just show up -- no reservations.

• 2 weeks later...
Open Seating dining venue...you l can go to the dining room at the same time -- any time between 5:15 and 9 PM and reguest the size of table you want. Reservations can be made for Open Seating only for the hours between 5:15 - 6:15 and 7:30 - 9 PM. Between 6:15 and 7:30 -- you just show up -- no reservations.

We just booked our first cruise on HAL. We are used to NCL dining options. It's just my husband and I cruising and we prefer table for 2. Is it difficult to get a table for 2 in the main dining room? The idea of reservations is somewhat confusing and, I'll admit, I didn't read all 1,000+ posts on this thread! If I make reservations each night of our cruise, I can request a specific time and a table for 2? I wonder why there are no reservations between 6:15 - 7:30. Is the the Pinnacle Grill a dining option with a specialty surcharge? If so, is it worth it?

Thanks to experienced HAL cruisers who help clear up my confusion!

My reservation on the Nieuw Amsterdam shows our dining option as Main upper dining. I'm assuming that means we are at the same table at the same time each evening. However I can't figure out the actual time for Main dining. Can anyone help?

We have plenty of time to change things, we are still hoping for more family and friends to join us and think that with a big crowd the set dining option would be the best. We've never cruised with HAL and I'm finding this anytime dining quite confusing:confused:

Carolyn

My reservation on the Nieuw Amsterdam shows our dining option as Main upper dining. I'm assuming that means we are at the same table at the same time each evening. However I can't figure out the actual time for Main dining. Can anyone help?

8:00 PM for Main dining. In Alaska the time is 15 minutes earlier.

We have plenty of time to change things, we are still hoping for more family and friends to join us and think that with a big crowd the set dining option would be the best. We've never cruised with HAL and I'm finding this anytime dining quite confusing:confused:

Anytime is quite easy, once you've read about it a bit. But don't worry about it until you need to; you're on fixed dining instead.

8:00 PM for Main dining. In Alaska the time is 15 minutes earlier.

Anytime is quite easy, once you've read about it a bit. But don't worry about it until you need to; you're on fixed dining instead.

Thanks Ruth. I'm happy with 8.00pm. It gives us time to relax after a busy day sightseeing.

Carolyn

We just booked our first cruise on HAL. We are used to NCL dining options. It's just my husband and I cruising and we prefer table for 2. Is it difficult to get a table for 2 in the main dining room? The idea of reservations is somewhat confusing and, I'll admit, I didn't read all 1,000+ posts on this thread! If I make reservations each night of our cruise, I can request a specific time and a table for 2? I wonder why there are no reservations between 6:15 - 7:30. Is the the Pinnacle Grill a dining option with a specialty surcharge? If so, is it worth it?

Thanks to experienced HAL cruisers who help clear up my confusion!

You can make up to 3 reservations at a time for the table and time you want -- times being the ones I listed earlier. There are quite a few tables for 2 in the Open Seating. There will be a seating chart outside the dining room on Embarkation day where you can look at the location for the tables and get table numbers.

The Pinnacle Grill has a $10 per person charge for lunch and a $15 per person charge for dinner. We have eaten many times in the Pinnacle on the HAL ships and we feel it is very worth while the extra money.

I booked Zaandam for April 2011. The cruise is more than eight months out and I'm WAITLISTED for "Main" dining!:confused:

Is that typical, and does anyone have a clue what the odds are I'll get my druthers?

This will be my first HAL cruise with open dining. Since sailing solo I have experienced "Anytime" dining on Princess and have found the experience very uneven. I'm occasionally seated immediately, sometimes after a short wait and always extremely long waits formal nights. I've subsequently returned to late traditional because of the upredictability of Anytime.

Anytime is not a deal breaker, but I do get a bit tired of reintroducing myself every night. There is, however, one a positive aspect: You can repeat your best stories and jokes. ;)

The Pinnacle Grill has a $10 per person charge for lunch and a $15 per person charge for dinner.

Dinner in the Pinnacle is $20, unless you're a 3* ($15) or 4* ($10) Mariner. Lunch is $10, with the same percentage discounts for 3 & 4 * Mariners.

I booked Zaandam for April 2011. The cruise is more than eight months out and I'm WAITLISTED for "Main" dining!:confused:

Is that typical, and does anyone have a clue what the odds are I'll get my druthers?

Obscene, isn't it, that one is waitlisted so far out.

No one can say whether or not you'll clear the waitlist. I would suggest that you, or your TA, contact HAL to find out where you place on the list.

When final payment time comes, there will be people who decide not to cruise, and that will move you up the list. Also, I believe that HAL closed off the list long before every seat has been filled, then completes the seating from the waitlist.

Good luck to you in clearing the list. I know what you mean about being a solo and the negatives of open seating.

Dinner in the Pinnacle is $20, unless you're a 3* ($15) or 4* ($10) Mariner. Lunch is $10, with the same percentage discounts for 3 & 4 * Mariners.

I have prebooked an evening at the Pinnacle and have been charged $40. We are 3-star Mariners', will we still get the 25% off, if so how do we get it?

I have prebooked an evening at the Pinnacle and have been charged $40. We are 3-star Mariners', will we still get the 25% off, if so how do we get it?

I suggest that you review the non-sticky thread where that is being discussed. There's been lots of discussion on how it operates.

Once you have actually eaten at the Pinnacle the discount will be credited to your ship board account.

That is what has happened to us -- after we dined there our 50% discount

Once you have actually eaten at the Pinnacle the discount will be credited to your ship board account.

That is what has happened to us -- after we dined there our 50% discount showed up on our shipboard account.

Thanks and to Ruth C I did try of find the non sticky thread and didn't find it. Yes I know there is a way to find it, but I thought it wouldn't harm this thread if I asked it here.

Edited by boards

My, there are so many posts in this thread I just have to give up and go to the last couple of pages!

DW and I have tried both assigned and open seating and for us the open seating has been a wonderful addition to our cruising experience. In particular in July 2009 we sailed on the Ryndam and each evening we went to Happy Hour in the Crow's Nest where we met with other Cruise Critic people. At 6 PM, those of us in Open Seating went down to the Dining Room together and were seated immediately. We were in groups of 3 to 9 and so long as we showed up somewhere aroung 6 PM we had no wait whatsoever.

This worked so well we made lasting friendships with 5 CC people. Now, when I'm on a Roll Call I let others know what our plans are so some of them can elect Open Seating and meet us in the Crow's Nest. This is an excellent way to meet other CC people! :)

We are just back from the Veendam week in Bermuda. We opted for As you wish and had no problems. You can make a dinner reservation for three days in advance which we did in the Lido at breakfast. Our reservation was honored both for time and table preference (table for 2) except for one night when they said someone else signed in as us and we were seated at a table for 6 which was fine. Those who showed up for AYWD without reservations seemed to have a long wait at times.

I find some of the talk about dinner reservations to be confusing. I think

we will be doing 'open dining' at a table for two. Too many conversations

going around a table are confusing to both of us. We certaining will not

be going to The Pinnacle" if we have to pay $40.00 each.

Also can you please tell me how many 'formal' nights to expect on a 19 day

cruise. This something that we wish to avoid. We will dress 'smart casual'

but I have no intentions of bringing fancy dresses or tuxedo's. We cruise to relax onboard and visit the different places along the way.

I find some of the talk about dinner reservations to be confusing. I think

we will be doing 'open dining' at a table for two. Too many conversations

going around a table are confusing to both of us. We certaining will not

be going to The Pinnacle" if we have to pay $40.00 each.

Also can you please tell me how many 'formal' nights to expect on a 19 day

cruise. This something that we wish to avoid. We will dress 'smart casual'

but I have no intentions of bringing fancy dresses or tuxedo's. We cruise to relax onboard and visit the different places along the way.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

The Pinnacle is $20 per person.

On a 19 day cruise you can expect 4 or 5 formal nights -- it depends on how port intensive your cruise is. On our 19 day cruise we had 5 formal nights.

We just got done on the Veendam and had anytime dining on the first night, we were also waitlisted, but were able to get a reservation to 8:00 seating starting the second night. They appear to only use the uper floor for reserved seating and the lower level for anytime dining. We believe the reserved seating you get better service, by the second night of reserved seating our waiter knew what we wanted to drink when you got there and what we drank with dessert, the service also appears to be better.

And the Pinnacle is now $25 per person

Edited by serchul