Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

There is definitely something going around.......a lot of folks in my office are sick.

Feel well! Here comes a new year!!!!

Definitely something - I've had this nasty flu virus all Christmas - had to cancel everything!!! So still feeling pretty rough, although pretty is definitely not what I look at the moment!!!

The DH has kept the home fires burning - literally - and I've been bunkered down in front of them.

I haven't even stepped outside! He had to take the dogs out in rotation! They were all a bit bemused I think!

Loving all the doggy photos and Chris, wouldn't that be something lining all the dogs up - might take a lot of dog biscuits though!

Brillohead - hello and thank you for your kind words about the Monster, oops I mean cute puppy Bonnie (just corrected myself in case Mrs Rangeley is checking up on me! ;):)) I said to myself when Bonnie arrived that I was NOT going to let her worm her way into my heart the way Aruba did .... Well I can tell you that didn't last long! This little tink, who is turning into a leggy strawberry blonde and trots around like a Lipizaner horse, has ensconced herself well and truly into the Fairbourne home! Anyway, her school days are a long way off yet! Hang on a minute, wasn't I saying the same thing not so long ago for Missy Aruba???

Geezzzzz! Stop! You're the one who calls him "boy!"

It won't be long, you guys will be applying for a Successor!

Well he is my baby boy. You know the whole time I was sick, he never left my side. John was sick at the hotel and he layed next to him. He was pretty freaked out by the whole deal.

I wish we could line up all the shiny black labs in one place and take a photo. Horton, Wexler, Aruba & Poppy, Henri, Raylene, and whoever else's name I'm forgetting...what a sight that would be.

Then we would add two more rows in front with the rest of our cyber family of other adorable pups for another round of photos. Tallest ones in the middle, and tiny Misty, Bonnie and Pedro down front!

Happy New Year, everybody!

Chris, never, ever in a million years would I have thought that I would be so mad about Black Lab's.

When I originally applied to CCI, in the year 2000, I always pictured myself with a Yellow Lab or a Golden Retriever.

Now, I could NEVER picture myself with any dog other than a Black Lab.

Goes to show you how minds can be changed!

i wish we could line up all the shiny black labs in one place and take a photo. Horton, wexler, aruba & poppy, henri, raylene, and whoever else's name i'm forgetting...what a sight that would be.

Then we would add two more rows in front with the rest of our cyber family of other adorable pups for another round of photos. Tallest ones in the middle, and tiny misty, bonnie and pedro down front!

Happy new year, everybody!

happy new year to you ♥

Definitely something - I've had this nasty flu virus all Christmas - had to cancel everything!!! So still feeling pretty rough, although pretty is definitely not what I look at the moment!!!

The DH has kept the home fires burning - literally - and I've been bunkered down in front of them.

I haven't even stepped outside! He had to take the dogs out in rotation! They were all a bit bemused I think!

Loving all the doggy photos and Chris, wouldn't that be something lining all the dogs up - might take a lot of dog biscuits though!

Brillohead - hello and thank you for your kind words about the Monster, oops I mean cute puppy Bonnie (just corrected myself in case Mrs Rangeley is checking up on me! ;):)) I said to myself when Bonnie arrived that I was NOT going to let her worm her way into my heart the way Aruba did .... Well I can tell you that didn't last long! This little tink, who is turning into a leggy strawberry blonde and trots around like a Lipizaner horse, has ensconced herself well and truly into the Fairbourne home! Anyway, her school days are a long way off yet! Hang on a minute, wasn't I saying the same thing not so long ago for Missy Aruba???

Oh! No! I hope you're feeling better soon!

Yes, it seems like it was just a bit ago when you were ruminating about our Aruba and now [look how fast the time is going] it's Bonnie's turn.

I know I've said this before.......Please "time" can you slow down just a bit.....and, let us all enjoy life while it's happening.

I hope the NEW YEAR brings you good health and much laughter with your fur-kids.

Well he is my baby boy. You know the whole time I was sick, he never left my side. John was sick at the hotel and he layed next to him. He was pretty freaked out by the whole deal.

He loves his Mommy & Daddy and worries when they don't feel well.

I love, love, love how these dogs are so loyal and loving. When I say that Horton is my very dearest and best friend, I truly mean it!!!

I hope your all feeling well now and will have a healthy and happy New Year!

Loving all the pictures of so many beautiful dogs!

I didn't care what color service dog I received (even purple would have been okay), but I do have to say that I am now partial to the beautiful shiny coats on the black labs. However, that black hair is hard to hide on my light colored hardwood floors!

I hope Fairbourne, Cindy and John are feeling better soon and can celebrate the new year.

Cindra, I hope you have been able to visit some more of your ports and that Pedro is enjoying his cruise with calmer seas.

Dianne

Loving all the pictures of so many beautiful dogs!

I didn't care what color service dog I received (even purple would have been okay), but I do have to say that I am now partial to the beautiful shiny coats on the black labs. However, that black hair is hard to hide on my light colored hardwood floors!

I hope Fairbourne, Cindy and John are feeling better soon and can celebrate the new year.

Cindra, I hope you have been able to visit some more of your ports and that Pedro is enjoying his cruise with calmer seas.

Dianne

As much as you ALL know that I adore Horton Jeffrey when he's ready to retire I don't think I will go with another Lab [unless it's a Labradoodle], as I'm getting older my allergies are becoming pretty fierce! I have two types of inhalers for asthma and two for nasal allergies. Now my eyes are reacting. If my eyes aren't bloodshot I don't know who I am! It's gross.......red, watery eyes, stuffed nose and wheezing.......so charming! :rolleyes:

My next Service Dog will have to be non-allergenic.

I'd love to get a Labradoodle or even a Standard Poodle. They're so smart.....a bit "needy" but so brilliant!!!

I love CCI......they'd better get busy and start getting some poodle breeders in their repertoire! :p

I'd love to get a Labradoodle or even a Standard Poodle. They're so smart.....a bit "needy" but so brilliant!!!

I love CCI......they'd better get busy and start getting some poodle breeders in their repertoire! :p

Poodles are super-smart! One of my best friends has had poodles of all sizes and in the past ten years has trained and competed in Agility and Obedience with her two white standard girls and one black miniature boy. They are SO fast and smart. Love to watch her put them through their paces, and they've won many ribbons.

Poodles are super-smart! One of my best friends has had poodles of all sizes and in the past ten years has trained and competed in Agility and Obedience with her two white standard girls and one black miniature boy. They are SO fast and smart. Love to watch her put them through their paces, and they've won many ribbons.

Yep! That's it.......Of course, I'm so darned used to black........I think it will have to be a Black Standard Poodle.

Don't tell Horty........He's got at least 4-5 years more of working and having fun with me until he retires. No rush.....My eyes, nose and lungs will just have to hang in there :o!!!!

As much as you ALL know that I adore Horton Jeffrey when he's ready to retire I don't think I will go with another Lab [unless it's a Labradoodle], as I'm getting older my allergies are becoming pretty fierce! I have two types of inhalers for asthma and two for nasal allergies. Now my eyes are reacting. If my eyes aren't bloodshot I don't know who I am! It's gross.......red, watery eyes, stuffed nose and wheezing.......so charming! :rolleyes:

My next Service Dog will have to be non-allergenic.

You sound so hot Roz!! 😲

Mornin' all. Hope everyone had a nice Christmas and have recovered just in time for New Year's Eve. Another dreaded, fireworks, gun shot holiday. I will need to get Jezzy Lou's Thunder Shirt out and readily available. It does work. She still trembles, but doesn't pace with it on. She got the Hot Pink one with grey down the sides, very fashionista if I might say so myself.

I saw a lady walking a Big Black Standard poodle the other day. It took all I could do not to pull over and hug that Big Boy. He was gorgeous. And oh so regal as he pranced right beside her.

I have to comment (because I am kind of partial) as to how smart and wonderful Poodles are.

My service dog is a apricot Miniature Poodle. She is so smart that she started alerting to my tremors before they come on on her own. That is why she became my service dog. I got her from a rescue just to be a pet, and she had something more in mind. She learns everything very quick, but she can also outwit me sometimes if I am not careful.

Ellie is my third poodle I have had the pleasure of having in my family, and she is one of two that we have currently, (we actually have 3 dogs right now. Our third one is a Shih Tzhu mix). She is the smartest of them all and if she gets bored, causes the most trouble.

If we met up with any of you with the bigger dogs, she would have to give them all a hug. She loves big, quiet dogs and wants to play immediately.

I will have to figure out how to post a picture of her on here.

I enjoy reading about everyone and your fur-babies.

Happy New Year everyone!

Mornin' all. Hope everyone had a nice Christmas and have recovered just in time for New Year's Eve. Another dreaded, fireworks, gun shot holiday. I will need to get Jezzy Lou's Thunder Shirt out and readily available. It does work. She still trembles, but doesn't pace with it on. She got the Hot Pink one with grey down the sides, very fashionista if I might say so myself.

I saw a lady walking a Big Black Standard poodle the other day. It took all I could do not to pull over and hug that Big Boy. He was gorgeous. And oh so regal as he pranced right beside her.

Can't you just see this blonde with a prancing Black Poodle!!!! :D

I have to comment (because I am kind of partial) as to how smart and wonderful Poodles are.

My service dog is a apricot Miniature Poodle. She is so smart that she started alerting to my tremors before they come on on her own. That is why she became my service dog. I got her from a rescue just to be a pet, and she had something more in mind. She learns everything very quick, but she can also outwit me sometimes if I am not careful.

Ellie is my third poodle I have had the pleasure of having in my family, and she is one of two that we have currently, (we actually have 3 dogs right now. Our third one is a Shih Tzhu mix). She is the smartest of them all and if she gets bored, causes the most trouble.

If we met up with any of you with the bigger dogs, she would have to give them all a hug. She loves big, quiet dogs and wants to play immediately.

I will have to figure out how to post a picture of her on here.

I enjoy reading about everyone and your fur-babies.

Happy New Year everyone!

Peemagg, thanks so much for sharing your stories about your Poodles and Shih Tzhu. We had a Shih Tzhu named Mai Tai many years ago. He was a wonderful fellow who cost us $9,000 because he kept developing kidney stones and we kept repairing him until he got quite older and the doctor didn't think he'd recuperate after the last surgery. He and Morey were the best of friends!

I'm so glad to hear about how much you love your Poodle and she's taken such good care of you. I've been hearing some pretty remarkable stories about the genius of these dogs.

I'd like to receive my Poodle before Horton retires so he can observe what Horty does. I think it made a huge difference in Horton's adjustment having him watch Brenda at work. Of course, he still acted like a goof-ball for a while but he's calmed down and adjusted so well, it's a miracle!!!!

I want to see pictures......Please!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

...That is why she became my service dog. I got her from a rescue just to be a pet, and she had something more in mind. She learns everything very quick, but she can also outwit me sometimes if I am not careful...

Just a personal comment. Your post is very uplifting.

There's a special place in Heaven for folks like you who find rescue pets. I can't explain it because it's beyond my understanding but I'm willing to bet that Ellie is showing her extreme gratitude to you by enthusiastically sharing her special abilities with you.

Thank you so much for giving Ellie the opportunity to live a long life and to provide you with all the service she can.

A very happy New Year to you and especially to Ellie.

Been trying to post for the last few days, but the lousy wifi keeps giving me error messages.

Updates for our ports... We were able to take Pedro into Martinique with no problems. There was a pack of eight stray dogs near the end of the pier, but an official chased them away. We carried Pedro to keep him safe until they left. A local woman wasn't watching where she was going and stepped on Pedro. We checked him out and he was fine. In Antigua, after no response to all of my emails, the local vet had to meet with Pedro, check the original paperwork, gave us the permit papers and a $10 discount on his $50 fee, because he liked us. Not complaining there... While in port, a customs official chased us down and I gave them the form from the vet. He pre-warned us about this and also gave us his card, in case anyone gave us any trouble.

Today, we are in Virgin Gorda, BVI. We also had to meet with the officials, who stamped all of my original paperwork. They were most concerned with 7001 and the rabies titer report. Was also told that only service animals would be allowed in food establishments. They are starting to educated they people about service animals, which is great. Once Bill wakes up, we will go ashore.

Thankfully, this is the last morning I will have to wake up early until disembarkation.

Cindra

Been trying to post for the last few days, but the lousy wifi keeps giving me error messages.

Updates for our ports... We were able to take Pedro into Martinique with no problems. There was a pack of eight stray dogs near the end of the pier, but an official chased them away. We carried Pedro to keep him safe until they left. A local woman wasn't watching where she was going and stepped on Pedro. We checked him out and he was fine. In Antigua, after no response to all of my emails, the local vet had to meet with Pedro, check the original paperwork, gave us the permit papers and a $10 discount on his $50 fee, because he liked us. Not complaining there... While in port, a customs official chased us down and I gave them the form from the vet. He pre-warned us about this and also gave us his card, in case anyone gave us any trouble.

Today, we are in Virgin Gorda, BVI. We also had to meet with the officials, who stamped all of my original paperwork. They were most concerned with 7001 and the rabies titer report. Was also told that only service animals would be allowed in food establishments. They are starting to educated they people about service animals, which is great. Once Bill wakes up, we will go ashore.

Thankfully, this is the last morning I will have to wake up early until disembarkation.

Cindra

Cindra, some of this has been a headache. Especially, stray dogs and people stepping on our boy. I love how some of these officials overthink the whole thing. Seriously, if they would just stop and think the whole thing through it all could be so much more simple.

Have a wonderful rest of your cruise and a healthy and happy New Year!!!!

And from us too, wherever you are in the world - All our very best wishes to you all and your four legged pals - may 2016 bring you happiness in whatever you do, safe travels and happy cruising! :D

We will think of you all and raise a glass or two to you, as the old year rolls out and the new one marches in .... Bring on those bells!

PS - keep the dogs safe, one of our neighbours has just let off some fireworks!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :D

Alexspepa - please tell your Mrs that we would be happy for you to "first foot" us anytime! ;):D.

And from us too, wherever you are in the world - All our very best wishes to you all and your four legged pals - may 2016 bring you happiness in whatever you do, safe travels and happy cruising! :D

We will think of you all and raise a glass or two to you, as the old year rolls out and the new one marches in .... Bring on those bells!

PS - keep the dogs safe, one of our neighbours has just let off some fireworks!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :D

Alexspepa - please tell your Mrs that we would be happy for you to "first foot" us anytime! ;):D.

well what an honor! and while i am not tall, i am dark-haired and i will promise not to be in your house before midnight! and i will definitely bring whiskey! and a certain chocolate lab (does that count as sweets?)and my lovely wife.

Happy New Year to everyone - we just got to the beach in NC where Dottie and Lucy are spending a month - me not so much, just a day or so.

edit - some excitement - i saw a flashlight swinging up and down the beach, Lucy started barking and some poor guy was looking for his lost dog. i grabbed a flashight and some dog biscuits and about 30 minutes later me, a cop and the guy were able to entice his poor pup back to the leash!

Edited by alexspepa