Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

First and most importantly, any suggestions given on this site is given because we've got the experience behind us and some of us have cruised once or twice before so we pass on our knowledge and good information in a positive and friendly manner.

Again,  NO ONE WILL TAKE YOUR DOG AWAY FROM YOU and NO ONE WILL INJUR OR HURT YOUR DOG IN ANY WAY!  Certainly not intentionally!  It's your job to protect your dog partner wherever you go in life.  

Cruising with your dog can be difficult but if you plan ahead and have the appropriate paperwork it's so much easier.

Your Vet is your best guide for what paperwork is required for each country.  Usually, the Aphis 7001 form, filled out by your Vet is all you will need for most countries you will be entering.  And, I must tell you, once the Immigration official has examined your dog and your paperwork, while onboard, they may accept and allow you to enter their port without any further investigation.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lindaler said:

Xoloitzcuintli

I had to look this up and what a cute dog!  I can see why he needs a sweater ☺️.  Still can't pronounce his breed though!

I've also seen pet dogs in shopping carts.  I can only think that the store manager hasn't seen them and asked them to leave. 

This is the easiest way I can explain what kind of dog I have. I have been thinking about printing out little cards with this on it as sometimes I may not feel like doing anything but running away and people ask all the time. Actually they try to guess, everything from a mini Doberman to a chawinnie.  Would it be weird to have these to pass out?  It would also maybe stop some of the weird looks I get when I try to tell them about her. 

Also known as the Mexican Hairless Dog or Xolo, the Xoloitzcuintli has a name that can be quite a challenge to pronounce: show-low-eats-queen-tlee.  Xolos are extraordinarily different from most dog breeds!

One of the world’s oldest and rarest dogs, Xoloitzcuintli originated in Mexico during the Aztec Empire. In fact, their name is derived from the name of the Aztec Indian god, Xolotl, and itzcuintli, the Aztec word for “dog.”  Xolos are considered one of the national treasures of Mexico.  Xolos are extremely loving to their persons and indifferent to strangers.

This is another line that they put in to the description that totally describes Chavela. She is either laying at my feet or touching me all the time. The breed makes such good service dogs because their whole word is their person. I don't think it needs to be in the description but explains a lot about her.  

They are often called “Velcro dogs,” meaning they stay close to their humans at all times, follow them from room to room and nap at their feet.

Edited by lindaler
correction
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, lindaler said:

They are often called “Velcro dogs,” meaning they stay close to their humans at all times, follow them from room to room and nap at their feet.

How wonderful!  I think the cards would be helpful.  I'd probably ask what kind of dog she was if I met you.

On 5/31/2019 at 2:38 PM, Caribbean Chris said:

Wow, 29 dogs! Was that a Paws With a Cause Cruise? I read an article once in a magazine about how every year or two they sponsor a cruise for their program's handlers & dogs.

I was not Paws with a cause.  It started with a few handlers & went from there.  There were 4 different schools represented

On 6/8/2019 at 5:00 PM, annamooseone said:

First of all Alaska is part of the United States but you will still need the Health Cert signed by your states USDA vet. The cert has to be done by your personal vet and overnighted to the USDA. ...

Alaska/Canada and New England/Canada are about the easiest of all cruises, paperwork wise. While it is true that some countries require health certificate endorsement by our governmental authority (the USDA), this is not the case when traveling from other parts of the United States into the state of Alaska, nor from the US to Canada.  

No need therefore for any service dog partner to overnight the dog’s form 7001 Health Certificate (issued by the dog’s vet) to be signed by a state’s designated USDA APHIS Service Center for these cruises. (Overnighting back & forth is an expensive proposition.)

The health certificate should be issued within 30 days of your departure, and you  also must travel with your dog’s valid current rabies certificate. Airlines sometimes ask to see your dog’s papers, so keep the originals in your carry-on, and have extra photocopies. The cruise line will expect to see these documents when you check in, or beforehand, along with any service dog form they provide in advance for you to sign. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Alaska/Canada and New England/Canada are about the easiest of all cruises, paperwork wise. While it is true that some countries require health certificate endorsement by our governmental authority (the USDA), this is not the case when traveling from other parts of the United States into the state of Alaska, nor from the US to Canada.  

No need therefore for any service dog partner to overnight the dog’s form 7001 Health Certificate (issued by the dog’s vet) to be signed by a state’s designated USDA APHIS Service Center for these cruises. (Overnighting back & forth is an expensive proposition.)

The health certificate should be issued within 30 days of your departure, and you  also must travel with your dog’s valid current rabies certificate. Airlines sometimes ask to see your dog’s papers, so keep the originals in your carry-on, and have extra photocopies. The cruise line will expect to see these documents when you check in, or beforehand, along with any service dog form they provide in advance for you to sign. 

Most of the cruise lines want the health cert signed by the USDA vet for boarding their ships - but everyone needs to do it their way and some may be denied boarding. It's sad when people post their opinions on what is needed or not needed and others follow those suggestions and have problems at boarding. As I explained on my post..it is better to be safe and have your paperwork signed by the USDA vet(which is free for service dogs) then to be sorry. the only cost is mailing ea direction.

We can all only speak to what our own experience has been. It seems that the various USDA Veterinary Services Endorsement Offices can handle things slightly differently. I have corresponded extensively with my local USDA office (which is in San Francisco) for various cruises. My local office will only endorse for the first port visited on a cruise, although they do advise that you comply with all of the other requirements and have the proper paperwork for any other countries visited. My local office will not endorse any documentation where the country visited does not require endorsement. Canada does not require endorsement and I could not get the Aphis Form 7001 endorsed even if I wanted to.

I am a more cautious cruiser than some and I always get the paperwork for every country that will be visited on the cruise signed by my Vet so that I will be prepared in case of an emergency. However, as I noted above the USDA will not endorse all of that paperwork.

I am curious about what cruise lines have denied boarding if you don’t have your paperwork endorsed by the USDA when endorsement is not required. Once again, I can only speak to my own experience, but Celebrity would not deny boarding.

1 hour ago, annamooseone said:

Most of the cruise lines want the health cert signed by the USDA vet for boarding their ships - but everyone needs to do it their way and some may be denied boarding. It's sad when people post their opinions on what is needed or not needed and others follow those suggestions and have problems at boarding. As I explained on my post..it is better to be safe and have your paperwork signed by the USDA vet(which is free for service dogs) then to be sorry. the only cost is mailing ea direction.

There may be confusion created by this discussion, about two kinds of vets that some might refer to as “USDA vets.”There are the hometown licensed vets (who happen to have been accredited by the USDA), and they work in commercial veterinary clinics all over the US. They are ideal vets for people who expect to travel often outside the US. Our USDA-accredited vet signs all our paperwork, and sometimes that’s all we need, such as for cruises to Alaska and Canada.

Other “USDA vets” are actual government employees who work in regional service centers to review and countersign (endorse) the papers signed by accredited vets. They are listed on this website: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth/endorsement-offices 

Endorsement is a second step ONLY done by a regional service center when necessary because of foreign countries’ import policies. These policies are listed by country on this website:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/take-pet-to-foreign-country

I agree with Dianne that the USDA does NOT endorse paperwork when endorsement is not required.  They would not endorse a 7001 health certificate for travel to Alaska and Canada, no matter how much a dog’s handler might want to feel “better safe than sorry.”

As the USDA states, “It is APHIS VS’ role to provide endorsement (review and countersignature) of international health certificates after issuance by a USDA Accredited Veterinarian when required by an importing foreign country.” The key words are “when required.”

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/pet-travel/letter-to-pet-owners.pdf

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone for explaining. When I had called our regional USDA they had said a local vet could sign for Alaska and Canada. But for me the confusion was that the local was also USDA just not regional USDA.  I will be speaking to a vet this afternoon and making sure she is certified by the USDA to sign the 7001, We are new to our town and I need to find a vet locally anyway. Then we will schedule a visit within the 30 day window for our cruise.  Isn't it amazing what a few words like local USDA vet and regional USDA vet can make.  I understand now that my local would sign no matter where I go but if I go to other places it needs to be shipped and signed also regionally.  There, I think I have it right. 

And for those who care, we have lift off for the box training.  She is doing really good. We will be ready for our cruise. 

3 hours ago, lindaler said:

Thank you everyone for explaining. When I had called our regional USDA they had said a local vet could sign for Alaska and Canada. But for me the confusion was that the local was also USDA just not regional USDA.  I will be speaking to a vet this afternoon and making sure she is certified by the USDA to sign the 7001, We are new to our town and I need to find a vet locally anyway. Then we will schedule a visit within the 30 day window for our cruise.  Isn't it amazing what a few words like local USDA vet and regional USDA vet can make.  I understand now that my local would sign no matter where I go but if I go to other places it needs to be shipped and signed also regionally.  There, I think I have it right. 

And for those who care, we have lift off for the box training.  She is doing really good. We will be ready for our cruise. 

It sounds like you're headed in the right direction both in terms of your Vet as well as your dogs use of the potty box.........you're going to love cruising with your dog.

1 hour ago, Miki_moto said:

We went to the beach last night to see our ship pass by.  Next week it will be our turn!!!

So much stuff, so little luggage! 😉

85AB6A3F-430B-4090-B005-205C056F9CC1.jpeg

Wow!  What ship is this?  Such a great picture!  I try to remember not to over pack but it's no use.....I always bring more than I need.....it's a Virgo thing!  😉

It’s Cunard’s Queen Elizabeth.  

I honestly have have no idea what to pack for Alaska.  Before today I was going around in hooded sweatshirts and wearing socks because it was so cold!   I guess I’ll pack all my long underwear.  

I have been watching the temps in juneau. It's 50 at night and 60 days. I am sure going to try to pack light. Chavella needs sweaters and blankets too since she is naked and all her food and extras.  And cameras and kindles. Sounds like a lot.

It's 50 at night and 60 days.

It sounds like long underwear weather to me.  🙂   I’m almost always cold and air conditioning feels even worse!  🥶  

Thanks for letting me know.  Seriously, checking is a good idea.  Are you using a weather app or getting actual temps?  

I’m packing 10 days worth of food for a 70lb. dog.  It IS a lot!

Edited by Miki_moto

Come on down to L.A.  We've been having a heatwave of 100 degree + weather for the past few days and my air conditioner is running non-stop.  Since Horton has a very thick black coat I've been keeping him indoors in the cool air.   Way too hot for June!  

You must bring a light sweater to wear during dinner and in the theatre on board.  They tend to keep the public areas a bit cooler than you may like, even in Alaska.

It's a good idea to pack extra food for your dog and any emergency that could happen while on board the high seas.  I remember the horror stories of folks who were on board a ship that had a non-functioning engine and they were stuck in the middle of the ocean for a few extra days.  This would not be a good time to try and change your dogs diet.  I'd rather bring home some extra zip lock bags of dog kibble than a sick dog!!!!

We had a nice visit with our new vet.  She seems really nice and very knowledgeable about what is needed for where. We will be doing the official visit July 8th so that it is within the 30 days. Poor Chavela, at that visit she will get her rabies updated, and a new micro chip. We found the old one on her shoulder blade but no matter what we did it would no read.  I guess after ten years it gave up the ghost. Oh well, if we want to travel she needs to have one that can be read so its just another event in our getting ready. I feel so lucky to have all the help from you guys on getting this right. Thanks. 

7 hours ago, lindaler said:

We had a nice visit with our new vet.  She seems really nice and very knowledgeable about what is needed for where. We will be doing the official visit July 8th so that it is within the 30 days. Poor Chavela, at that visit she will get her rabies updated, and a new micro chip. We found the old one on her shoulder blade but no matter what we did it would no read.  I guess after ten years it gave up the ghost. Oh well, if we want to travel she needs to have one that can be read so its just another event in our getting ready. I feel so lucky to have all the help from you guys on getting this right. Thanks. 

Good idea to check on the microchip.  Horton has had his since 2011 and when the Vet was checking it they discovered that it had traveled from his shoulder to his side but was very readible!

9 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Good idea to check on the microchip.  Horton has had his since 2011 and when the Vet was checking it they discovered that it had traveled from his shoulder to his side but was very readible!

Same with Raylene - her original Avid chip inserted by Guide Dogs for the Blind when she was a puppy migrated to her left flank, but still works. To complicate things, another brand chip was implanted by Dogs for the Deaf after her career change, and that one is in her shoulder area. Avid seems to be one of the preferred chips for places like Hawaii, so I am prepared to tell them exactly where it’s located if anybody ever tries to scan it. So far, officials never have.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!  

I thought the sun rose and set on my father's say so!  I adored him.  He passed away when I was in my early thirties and he was only 62 years old.  I truly miss him every day!

To all the Father's out there who make such a huge difference in so many people's lives.........Have a wonderful day ❤️ 

• Like 2