Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

20 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

My experience at Target yesterday:  I was walking down an aisle and a woman was walking towards me, until she saw Horton.......You would have thought she had just seen a four headed, giant, prickly-furred MONSTER!  She let out a scream and started walking backwards.  I said, "are you afraid of dogs?"  She shook her head, so hard it almost flew off her shoulders.  I said, in a very calm voice, "please keep walking forward and past us,  I promise my dog will sit and only watch you!"  She moved forward, very slowly and literally shaking so hard, she was rattling the cart.  Horton sat and watched her, as did the rest of the folks in the aisle.  I think she went directly to check-out because we didn't see her again.   

Sometimes training the public can be more difficult than the dog!   That said, I have deep respect for people who have horrible fears of dogs and certainly do not expect to see one walking in their supermarket.  Horton is big and, unfortunately, the black dog can be very feared by many.  

Mila starts her public access class next weekend. For 5 weeks we will be meeting at different places that are not pet friendly, so we can learn how to handle being places with our service dogs. I have severe anxiety and I think this class will help me more than Mila! They are going to teach us how to handle different situations with people (like rude comments, people afraid of dogs). That being said, it's very helpful for me to hear how other people with service dogs handle situations like the one you were in at Target. Thank you for always sharing your experiences! 

• Like 1

@Mabbiez it will go well!    

My experience has been the difficulty with the public where I live - because I live in a rural area that is, as the city planner put it, "Dog Country".  Everyone wants to be friends with my dog.  Especially all the kids.

These days, Scooter gets less interaction since I'm working from home.   I have to make an effort to get him out in public at some point.   He has also been very energetic and playful, which is great in a pet, but not so great in a SD.  So, more doodling and remediation training.  

Luckily, I own my dog, so I don't have to worry about an org saying I didn't keep him on task. 🙂

• Like 1

On 7/18/2020 at 11:07 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

So we were booked on a Christmas cruise this year, and have been sure for a long time that it would cancel. Got the email this week that Holland America sold four of their ships, including Amsterdam, our Christmas ship.

That has got to be a disappointment!   I'm so glad you found an alternative you will be satisfied with.

We have a holiday cruise booked on Celebrity Constellation  out of Tampa.  I'm waiting to see what happens.  Trying to decide if I should lift and shift to the Equinox for the 2021 holiday season, or what.  Lift and shift is currently scheduled to end next week.   I'm expecting the Royal Caribbean Group (their new name) to extend it, but hard to say.

I don't really need a holiday cruise over Christmas 2021, we already have a Thanksgiving cruise booked then.  I need it this fall, darn it!

12 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

That has got to be a disappointment!   I'm so glad you found an alternative you will be satisfied with.

We have a holiday cruise booked on Celebrity Constellation  out of Tampa.  I'm waiting to see what happens.  Trying to decide if I should lift and shift to the Equinox for the 2021 holiday season, or what.  Lift and shift is currently scheduled to end next week.   I'm expecting the Royal Caribbean Group (their new name) to extend it, but hard to say.

I don't really need a holiday cruise over Christmas 2021, we already have a Thanksgiving cruise booked then.  I need it this fall, darn it!

I hope your Constellation cruise goes as planned, fingers crossed for you! 

We also have had a Tampa Constellation booking, since they first announced them, original scheduled for April 2021 with two other couples, old friends. But we decided the other day to do the Lift & Shift to April 2022, same week, also from Tampa, same everything. I’m concerned that all the lines won’t be back in service normally any time soon.

If I’m wrong, I’ll be happy, and we’ll just check on a Constellation Tampa cabin to book after final payment time. I’d be happy to make the same Celebrity cruise out of Tampa in both 2021 & 2022, since we usually do a cruise anyway for our anniversary , and Tampa’s just an hour’s drive from our house. 

On 7/18/2020 at 12:47 PM, DUTRAVEL said:

We just canceled our October Transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale. We moved it to a back-to-back Pacific Coastal and Alaskan cruise in May. If we stay on the west coast we could always drive home if we had to.

Fingers crossed that we can all be back to cruising next year!

Fingers crossed for sure, Dianne. None of us could have ever imagined something like this would shut down all international tourism, and domestic, too. Our close friends have gone to Boston and Nova Scotia or Maine everY summer for years, but now those states have restrictions on people from many states entering, involving testing just before arrival, or a two-week quarantine.

6 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I hope your Constellation cruise goes as planned, fingers crossed for you! 

We also have had a Tampa Constellation booking, since they first announced them, original scheduled for April 2021 with two other couples, old friends. But we decided the other day to do the Lift & Shift to April 2022, same week, also from Tampa, same everything. I’m concerned that all the lines won’t be back in service normally any time soon.

If I’m wrong, I’ll be happy, and we’ll just check on a Constellation Tampa cabin to book after final payment time. I’d be happy to make the same Celebrity cruise out of Tampa in both 2021 & 2022, since we usually do a cruise anyway for our anniversary , and Tampa’s just an hour’s drive from our house. 

I wish we had the freedom to do the same!  We are both still working full time, but the university closes from Dec 25 - Jan 1, and the timing of the holiday trip was just too perfect!  Dec 23 - Jan 4.  

I've got airfare reserved, but on points on Southwest so that it is easy to cancel if the cruise is cancelled.  I'm just waiting to see what happens.  

Our cruise is the Canal Touch cruise, that they are only offering a couple of, and 12 nights.  So, there are only a handful of other options we could Lift and Shift to.  I just can't bring myself to do so yet.  I'm hoping we'll get told next week that Lift and Shift is being extended.  I really don't want to decide just yet.  Final payment is Sept 24, and I don't want to pay if we aren't going, but want to delay making a decision until then.  

I still have a cruise booked on Princess for November out of Ft. Lauderdale.  Like you, I really need a vacation now.  Payment is due next month, so I guess I will know then if we are going.  If not, I may try Crystal.  They are running a special for single cruisers.  Just really need to get away.

2 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

I'm hoping we'll get told next week that Lift and Shift is being extended.  I really don't want to decide just yet.  Final payment is Sept 24, and I don't want to pay if we aren't going, but want to delay making a decision until then.  

I think it’s possible they’ll extend Lift & Shift.

If our HAL Christmas cruise hadn’t cancelled, I’d be doing the same thing, holding off until final payment before making a decision. 

4 hours ago, Mabbiez said:

Mila starts her public access class next weekend. For 5 weeks we will be meeting at different places that are not pet friendly, so we can learn how to handle being places with our service dogs. I have severe anxiety and I think this class will help me more than Mila! They are going to teach us how to handle different situations with people (like rude comments, people afraid of dogs). That being said, it's very helpful for me to hear how other people with service dogs handle situations like the one you were in at Target. Thank you for always sharing your experiences! 

It can be very daunting to come face-to-face with folks who are deathly afraid of dogs.  You have to reach deep within yourself; stay calm, and assertive and remember you are your dogs leader and the public is expecting your reaction to be absolutely "spot-on!"  You might be shaking and even a bit scared yourself.........but, no one has to see or know this but you!  Reassure your dog that he's doing a "good job" as he sits and watches the fearful folks walk on by.  

You can have your own personal "break-down" when you get to your car or home.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

@Mabbiez it will go well!    

My experience has been the difficulty with the public where I live - because I live in a rural area that is, as the city planner put it, "Dog Country".  Everyone wants to be friends with my dog.  Especially all the kids.

These days, Scooter gets less interaction since I'm working from home.   I have to make an effort to get him out in public at some point.   He has also been very energetic and playful, which is great in a pet, but not so great in a SD.  So, more doodling and remediation training.  

Luckily, I own my dog, so I don't have to worry about an org saying I didn't keep him on task. 🙂

Mila still has a lot of puppy in her, and she loves EVERYONE! She's usually pretty good if she's on her leash but sometimes she will see someone that she so badly wants to play with, she ends up wiggling around all excited. I also own her though so no one is taking her from me! I also just found out the first public access class on Saturday is meeting at a mall. I'm excited to get these experiences with her! 

19 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

It can be very daunting to come face-to-face with folks who are deathly afraid of dogs.  You have to reach deep within yourself; stay calm, and assertive and remember you are your dogs leader and the public is expecting your reaction to be absolutely "spot-on!"  You might be shaking and even a bit scared yourself.........but, no one has to see or know this but you!  Reassure your dog that he's doing a "good job" as he sits and watches the fearful folks walk on by.  

You can have your own personal "break-down" when you get to your car or home.

So far I have only had two people scared. I work at a hospital lab and I've brought her in a couple of times (just in the hallway, I think the actual lab would be dangerous for her). One coworker is very scared of dogs but I didn't push my coworker, and we just stayed far from each other. Another time we were outside of the hospital and a worker asked if she bites. I assured her that she doesn't but also said I will make sure she doesn't go too close to her. She seemed okay with that and walked by us. I just hope I can handle these situations in public. 

2 hours ago, Mabbiez said:

So far I have only had two people scared. I work at a hospital lab and I've brought her in a couple of times (just in the hallway, I think the actual lab would be dangerous for her). One coworker is very scared of dogs but I didn't push my coworker, and we just stayed far from each other. Another time we were outside of the hospital and a worker asked if she bites. I assured her that she doesn't but also said I will make sure she doesn't go too close to her. She seemed okay with that and walked by us. I just hope I can handle these situations in public. 

I know exactly what it feels like to have co-workers who are either afraid of dogs or say they are very allergic. I used to work with two gals who wouldn't sit next to me at staff meetings and wouldn't go into the staff lounge if Horton was there.  They actually asked me if I could keep him in his crate during meetings and times that I may want to go into the lounge.  I tried to be as accommodating as I could be when it came to them, but, I didn't have to be.  I had worked with my company for over 21 years and had my dogs with me for more than 15 of those years.  I knew me and my CCI dog weren't going anywhere and I actually would make bets with my family and friends for how long these complainers would last!  I outlasted them all!!!!!!!

I've learned to grow a "thick skin" when it comes to whiners and complainers about my dog no matter where I am in life, whether I'm shopping and eating out locally or I'm traveling, there will always be people who either don't understand the working dog or simply don't like you and your dog in their space!!!!! 

Remember; you and your dog have as much right as they do and unless your fellow workers and the general public are coming to work or living life in general with their heads shaven and are naked, they're carrying in as much dander as you and your dog are, especially if they live with a cat/dog, or any fur-bearing animal at home. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mabbiez said:

Mila still has a lot of puppy in her, and she loves EVERYONE! She's usually pretty good if she's on her leash but sometimes she will see someone that she so badly wants to play with, she ends up wiggling around all excited. I also own her though so no one is taking her from me! I also just found out the first public access class on Saturday is meeting at a mall. I'm excited to get these experiences with her! 

Good luck at the mall.  I'm sure you will do very well.

Horton is easy to distract from the public, I just need to use a one word command to bring him back to my attention.  Brenda was not so easy.  I had to walk her in circles when other dogs or people came walking towards her.  I would always have pieces of kibble in my pocket to re-direct her eyes and distract her thinking. 

My friend keeps pieces of hot dogs [really high value treat] in her pocket to keep her dog focused on her.

I have a question.  I contacted Crystal Cruises regarding their policy for a Service Dog.  They sent me the information and I am not sure about one of them.  If my dog is self-trained, what type of certification can I show them?  I've never been asked to provide "certification" before.  I just emailed them the task that she is trained to do.  Also, I have never had to have my doctor provide a statement.  The rest of the items I understand.  Any ideas?  Thank you.

• A statement from the guest’s doctor explaining what specific task the dog has been trained to perform in order to assist the guest with their disability
  • Dog breed and photo
  • Certification of Service Dog
  • In order to take their Service Animal ashore at the various ports of call (and off the ship), guests will need to provide proof that they have made arrangements to be able to obtain whatever clearances are needed, if any, prior to your departure. A copy of these permits must be carried on the ship, and a copy left with Onboard Guest Services prior to boarding the ship

If my next cruise in April2021 happens we will be flying into Orlando and staying a couple of nights. I decided I want to go to Disney Springs since Disney World will be a little out of the budget right before going on a transatlantic cruise. Anyway it got me to thinking...I wanted to see service dogs at Disney.

I suggest to everyone, Google "Service dogs at Disney" and click on images! I was pleasantly surprised at how good the pictures were!

If my next cruise in April2021 happens we will be flying into Orlando and staying a couple of nights. I decided I want to go to Disney Springs since Disney World will be a little out of the budget right before going on a transatlantic cruise. Anyway it got me to thinking...I wanted to see service dogs at Disney.

I suggest to everyone, Google "Service dogs at Disney" and click on images! I was pleasantly surprised at how good the pictures were!

I can't wait to log in and watch the Service Dogs at Disney.  Thanks for sharing this.

• Like 1

None of the requests made by Crystal are terribly out of the norm.  I wish that all cruise lines would make it more difficult for those who can't leave home without their PETS by their side and literally make their whining, nippy, barking little stowaways miserable, along with the rest of us, for the entire cruise.

• Letter from your doctor is easy enough.  Your doctor will just need to let the cruise line know what your dog does to mitigate your disability.  No one has the right to ask, "what is wrong with you!"  Just, what does your dog do for you?
  • A picture of the two of you makes good sense so that they can recognize you and your dog.  Take one with your camera and print it out, keep it with your paperwork.
  • There is no such thing as a "Certification".  Some orgs. like CCI gives each handler a card with a picture on it of the handler and the dog, with an expiration date [usually 3 years] for the dog to be re-certified before the date ends.  I, personally, like having the I.D. Card, some people object to it because it makes it more difficult for those who don't have such an I.D. Card from their training org., or for those who self-train.  You do NOT have to have any excuses for not having such a card, and, if they insist, you simply need to let them know that it is not necessary to have.  The ADA does not require that a dog handler have such a card, at least not yet!!!!!
  • Your paperwork to board the ship will have the necessary authorizations from the various port authorities that are needed.  Some ports like Hawaii need lots of paperwork and even some blood titers to be done.  Your Vet will let you know what is needed or you may ask the Special Needs Dept. of your Cruise Line, who will have the necessary answers for you to board and go into each port of call safely with your Service Dog.

Well, Horton had his Internal Medicine "Second Opinion" visit today.

Doctors words:  "Take Horton OFF all meds.  He's looking and sounding as well as could be expected from an 11 year old dog".

The Vet feels that Horton was subjected to some sort of infection that effected his internal organs and mirrored Cushings Disease.  The rapid response with IV antibiotics and Vitamin injections were a life saving decision that made all the difference in his immuno response.  Thank you, Mobile Vet.

Hallelujah!  All I can say is THANK YOU for all your prayers and good wishes. If Horton is still doing well in two weeks......we're in the clear.......The doctor wants him to stay on the "old man diet" that I put him on with some added multi-vitamins to help him thrive-on.  

• Like 2

We are annual Passholders at Disney and go all the time.  Like anywhere, we have seen well trained dogs there, and not so well trained.  We love Disney Springs, and there are lots of places to cool off there.  We also love cruising on DCL. Did the EBPC Cruise last November for 14 nights and it was fabulous!  

Edited by allies_daphne
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, kmg365suzyq said:

Certification of Service Dog

I ran into this with the Bahamas too.  I sent in paperwork without the certification explaining that there wasn't such a thing here, and they sent it back as incomplete.  !?!  After talking with them on the phone and making no headway (they told me that they had received certification in the past from service dog handlers from the US, which I suspect was from program dog handlers), I gave in.  I had a card made with my dog's picture saying she was a service dog, her breed, her name, and my name.  I sent a photocopy of that along with the same paperwork as before and it went through just fine.  If you are paying for each fax/postage, I recommend making up something that looks official so you don't waste your time and money like I did!  It's not worth arguing with a foreign country because they don't care about our ADA laws.

19 hours ago, kmg365suzyq said:

I have a question.  I contacted Crystal Cruises regarding their policy for a Service Dog.  They sent me the information and I am not sure about one of them.  If my dog is self-trained, what type of certification can I show them?  I've never been asked to provide "certification" before.  I just emailed them the task that she is trained to do.  Also, I have never had to have my doctor provide a statement.  The rest of the items I understand.  Any ideas?  Thank you.

• A statement from the guest’s doctor explaining what specific task the dog has been trained to perform in order to assist the guest with their disability
  • Dog breed and photo
  • Certification of Service Dog
  • In order to take their Service Animal ashore at the various ports of call (and off the ship), guests will need to provide proof that they have made arrangements to be able to obtain whatever clearances are needed, if any, prior to your departure. A copy of these permits must be carried on the ship, and a copy left with Onboard Guest Services prior to boarding the ship

Is this particular Crystal Cruises itinerary originating or ending in US waters, calling at any US ports? If so they must comply with ADA regulations. If it is a cruise far away from US ports, all bets are off and they can refuse service dogs entirely from those sailings if they choose to. Some cruise lines fall into that category.

I find these requirements to be contrary to the ADA, including this “statement from the guest’s doctor.” Would the cruise line ask a person requiring a wheelchair to provide a photo of themselves in their chair and medical documentation to justify their need for assistive equipment? My general physician is slightly busy these days, but regardless, she has had no involvement in my dog’s training and performance of tasks, so asking her to write a letter “explaining” what the dog does is like telling her to write a letter explaining the function of my cochlear implant processor and what it does to assist with my deafness. Not in her wheelhouse.

And for their representative to advise someone to buy a certificate online Is offensive and insulting to people with disabilities who are partnered with dogs extensively trained to perform tasks to assist with the disability.

There is no such thing as certification in the US, although Assistance Dogs International sets high standards nonprofit training organizations use in order to be accredited, and sets standards for their trainers to follow and use in testing their dogs in order to be sure the dog teams are suited for public access. And such organizations do provide an ID card and/or letter.

i understand requesting the breed of the dog. Many countries do not permit certain breeds to enter, and the list is long. And obviously, anyone planning to export an animal from the US, Canada, or anywhere else to be imported into other countries has to obtain necessary documentation. 

Thank you for your reply.  That is how I felt also.  The cruise starts and ends in Miami and goes to Mexico, Belize and Key West.  Maybe they do this so those of us with service dogs won't go on their ships.  Right now I think I will stick with Royal Caribbean and Princess.

I appreciate everyone's replies.  Thank you.