Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

On 10/3/2020 at 5:24 PM, Panamama42 said:

Thank the Becky. I will try to keep in touch. 

Debi, I want to add my condolences to you for these two losses in your life, coming in such a short time during very difficult times for our country and the world. We are all so grateful you let us know that Roz had passed away. She was a special lady whose personality radiates through all of these pages and posts.

18 hours ago, LauraS said:

Hello All:

Everyone here at Cruise Critic wishes all of you heartfelt condolences in losing your friend Roz.   We appreciate all she's done for everyone, as well as her loyalty to this special community of cruisers.    Our sympathies go out to those close to her as well.

Laura

Thank you, Host Kat and Laura. (And our thanks to the late Host Walt, who swiftly helped Roz restore peace when a particularly unpleasant troll briefly invaded these useful pages a few years ago, as some will remember). This little corner of Cruise Critic has been life-changing for people with many disabilities who were encouraged by Roz - and by those who joined in along the way - to travel with their service dogs and enjoy the wonderful world of cruising like any other passenger.  We don’t know what difficulties the world will hold for travelers with service dogs when cruising resumes, but I have a feeling this thread could be needed then even more than ever.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I ditto Nancys comment. Roz would be thrilled to know that this thread will always be around. She was very passionate about cruising with her dogs and helping others do the same. I don't think most of us would be cruising with our dogs if it wasn't for her. I know we wouldn't be. Love ya Roz! 💔

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/28/2020 at 4:40 PM, Panamama42 said:

I am trying to let all of Roz’s friends know that she has passed away. Her service dog Horton is here with me. He has been retired and will live out his days here. Thank you all 

Debi,

thank you for passing this on.  I’ve been away a few weeks, snowed under with work and more work.  I’m teary eyed at the passing of someone I only knew through some emails and a lot of posts here.  She was so supportive!  
I know she has now crossed her own rainbow bridge and met back with Morey and Brenda, along with your own husband, and will be waiting for Horton and her family to join them in their time.

Thank for for sharing your home with Horton in his retirement.  
I will think of all of them when we get to resume cruising.

Hey cruisers, this is Wizard-Of-Roz's grandson Cody. Just wanted to share with you all the obituary her grandkids wrote for her. Thank you for your kind words and loving our Grammy.

Rosalyn Judith Silberschein (Sadowsky), age 78, of Northridge, California - Born September 21st, 1942 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to Jack and Esther Sadowsky, boarded her eternal Princess cruise on September 17th, 2020. Joining her childhood sweetheart and beloved husband of 53 years, Morris Lee Silberschein (Morey). Roz moved from Pennsylvania to California with her family as a small child, where she grew up with her Father, Mother and 5 siblings. She graduated Fairfax High School in 1961 and joined the workforce right away at The Social Affairs Management Company as a secretary for $1 per hour. In this same year she met Morey. (This would be the point in the story where the writer would say “And they lived happily ever after!!”). Although that is the truth, I must continue telling you the story of our beloved Mother, Daughter, Sister and Grammy.

On April 15th, 1962 she married Morris Lee Silberschein at the Sheraton Hotel near downtown Los Angeles. In her words, “it was quite the love affair”. They wasted no time and welcomed their first daughter, Lisa, into the world and, after some complications, three years later daughter number two, Robyn. Dreams of having a large family like her childhood brought them to Vista Del Mar, known at the time as the ‘Jewish Orphan’s Home’. For years, the family took children in through the “Foster Parent Program”, giving them the best chance at a happy and healthy childhood.

Roz was such a people person. She loved to laugh and have fun. She loved going to different game shows, even got lucky enough to participate on “Let’s Make A Deal”. She worked in a Dr’s office, lawyer’s office, VBS day school, she owned her own Thrift store, ran an in-home daycare, and for over 20 years she worked for the Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles and loved every minute of it. She made so many amazing friendships and told the best stories.

Roz was crazy about her service dogs she received from Canine Companions for Independence (CCI). Her first dog, Brenda, taught her so much and built her confidence with service dogs, making the transition to her second dog, Horton, that much sweeter.

Roz’s love for travel started early as well. Her and Morey traveled across the country with their 2 and 5 year-old-girls on a 6-month adventure. Later, when the kids were grown, they drove through Europe and then across the Southern states. They later loved taking their grandchildren on road trips and cruises. Roz enjoyed travel so much, she switched most of her traveling to cruising the open sea and became a well-known advocate for cruising with her service dogs. She shared her passion for everything you need to know about cruising with a service dog on CruiseCritic.com, using the handle “Wizard-Of-Roz”.

She is survived by her two daughters - Lisa (Steven) and Robyn (Doug); her 6 grandchildren -  Cody (Jennifer), Rebecca (Josh), Shayna, Benjamin, Kayla, and Sarah; her service companion - Horton; sisters - Zara and Valerie; brother - Joel; sister-in-laws - Debi and Judi; loving in-laws; nieces; nephews and a host of long-time friends.

She is preceded in death by her husband – Morris, her parents - Jack & Esther, and her brothers - Barry and Matthew.

She will be missed terribly, though her stories and legacy will live on for generations. “Life, as I have learned has many twists and turns, we must all hang on for the ride!” “Forever and Always” -Rosalyn J. Silberschein.

If you would like to make a donation in Roz’s name, please donate at cci.org

Due to current events and health risks, a memorial date is to follow. Please post your condolences and stories for the family to read in Legacy.com.

OLG_6867_r (2).jpg

• Like 2

wow, what a wonderful person she was. I am sure she had a great life surrounded by her family, grandaughters and grandsons. She will be in hearts of all of us and she will never be forgotten. I wish her children and family stay strong. 2020 is an awful year...

• Like 1

Mr Love - Cody - Your "Grammy" was so proud of you all and she would have loved your "handle"!  

Thank you for sharing Roz's obituary with her online cyber friends - it's a wonderful tribute to her.  I am sure you know by what has been written already how much she will be missed by people she never even met from all over the world.  She was such a huge character with the biggest heart and once you were in her world, she never forgot you.  Likewise she will never be forgotten.  She said to me often that she would come and live with me in Scotland - even if it was in the garden shed with the dogs haha - but her kids and grandkids would never forgive her!   We had such fun sharing stories across "the pond"!  

Thank you dear Cody for being so thoughtful in sharing this with us. My family send you and your family our sincere condolences on the loss of Roz.  

Debi - I cannot imagine your loss and in what has become the spirit of this thread, I send you and Horton big cyber hugs. 💕  

• Like 1

Wow, where to start.  I know, get a box of kleenex,  because the tears are flowing.  Thank you Cody for sharing this with us.  I love your Grammy to pieces.  I am one of her orphans, never having a service dog, but finding this thread and immediately being drawn in. We had a big ole yellow lab, Reno who helped start my relationship with Roz.  She didn't care if I used a service dog or not, our love for animals and cruising was all she needed to pull me into her world.  I see her grandkids got her wonderful personality.  I miss her and can only imagine the loss you all feel.  I will cherish this picture of her. 

Hugs, love and prayers to all of wonderful family. 💔🐾💕

• Like 1

5 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Just wanted to check in.  Hope everyone is doing well.  Furkids are doing good.  The weather has cooled down.  We have been a chilly (to us) 71 degrees in the mornings.  Still getting up to right around 100 degrees +/- . Have a great week everyone. 💕

Hi Nancy - funnily enough I was thinking about you earlier today, just wondering how you are.  It's quite strange isn't it not to have the familiar "have a great weekend" but I like to think the fun weekends are never ending with Her Majesty Roz, Brenda, Orson, Wexler, Max, Poppy and all the other fur babies who have gone over the rainbow bridge.  She will have all of those pups sorted out! 

Haha to your chilly 71 degrees!  I think we will hit double figures tomorrow of 12C, that's about 54F to you!  Low at night around 5C!  Think I would melt at 100F!  

Big hugs to you Nancy and your furkids 💖

Mr Love - Cody: if you read this, I tried to find Roz's obituary on legacy but failed miserably.  I don't know if you can provide a link?  Thanks.

Stay safe all. 

Hi Fairborne,  I had quite the time finding the obit for Roz also.  It did finally pop up.  It is a beautiful tribute to our  Queen Roz.  Let me trundle around and see if I can find it again.  They have a great picture of Roz  attached to it.  I took a picture of the picture on my phone, so I would have it.  Be back in a few.

Hello!

This is Rebecca, another one of Wizard-of-Roz's grandchildren, as well as Mr. Love (Cody)'s younger sister. I wanted to share another photo of Grammy for you all. I took this at port in Long Beach as we were setting sail for a week long cruise to Mazatlan, Cabo, and Puerto Vallarta on Princess Cruises. This was the first cruise I had ever been on and it will not be one I soon forget. Grammy was truly a force of nature. Once you know her, it is impossible to forget her. 

Also I've included a bonus Horton photo. I remember one day on the ship, Horton was sitting with his tail in the water bowl and Grammy had asked me to remove his tail from the water. I say "sure" and walk over to go grab his tail. Of course that is the time that he gets excited, starts wagging his tail and flings water all over me. I remember looking up at Grammy, we stare at each other for a second and then we both bust out into laughter. I can still remember her amazing laugh and I don't think I will ever forget it either!

I hope you all stay on this thread and post helpful hints for cruising with a service dog. I'm sure Grammy would have loved to know that her not-so-little piece of Cruise Critic will continue on without her. 

Thank you all for being her friends and her second family, 

Rebecca. 

IMG_4526 2.jpg

IMG_4717.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/13/2020 at 12:34 PM, S.S. Cruisers said:

Just wanted to check in.  Hope everyone is doing well.  Furkids are doing good.  The weather has cooled down.  We have been a chilly (to us) 71 degrees in the mornings.  Still getting up to right around 100 degrees +/- . Have a great week everyone. 💕

Wow a chilly 71!!! It's 47 here at noontime. I don't think you'd like it. 

On 10/14/2020 at 9:44 AM, S.S. Cruisers said:

Hi Fairborne,  I had quite the time finding the obit for Roz also.  It did finally pop up.  It is a beautiful tribute to our  Queen Roz.  Let me trundle around and see if I can find it again.  They have a great picture of Roz  attached to it.  I took a picture of the picture on my phone, so I would have it.  Be back in a few.

Where did you find it? I've been looking for weeks.