Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I have learned a great deal of what it takes to cruise with a service dog. I must point out that entering the UK with a service dog is the most difficult. The UK a strike laws regarding what is an Assist Dog. They really want the dog to have been professionally trained by a member or Assistance Dogs International. There are members in the USA but for the most part they all start with pups or dogs who do not make it as a Guide Dog. I am in Maryland and there are very few who are member of this organization in this state. I didn't get the London Heathrow  animal arrival center state that they would look at the US service dog has had and decide if they would except the training. You would need to send over all the training records of your service for them to vet them. I strongly suggest any one with a service dog get them in a AKC Canine Good Citizen class and test them. After the basic training I would get your dog trained and tested for both the Community and Urban Canine Good Citizen. There is a organization name American Service Dog Access Coalition that has Service Dog Pass. It's only for dog that have been trained by registered training facility. They are working on membership for dogs who were trained in other ways and then can be tested.

I am departing from Amsterdam in October for a 15 day transatlantic cruise. From all the report entering into the Netherlands will be easy if you have had your dog's vet produce and send out all the dogs medical records. You will need copies to bring along with you. My problem is when we get to the UK. Will they let me off the ship with my service dog. I know I will have all the medical records but its proof of training that they will except.

Contact me if you have any questions.

• Like 1

Very helpful to point out the difference entering the UK with a self-trained or dog not trained by an organization recognized by Assistance Dogs International. We had no difficulty entering the UK with my Service Dog, but I was able to provide a letter from Canine Companions (a founding member of Assitance Dogs International) outlining her training. The only difficult part was the timing of the tapeworm treatment which must be administered between 24 and 120 hours prior to arrival in the UK.

11 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Very helpful to point out the difference entering the UK with a self-trained or dog not trained by an organization recognized by Assistance Dogs International. We had no difficulty entering the UK with my Service Dog, but I was able to provide a letter from Canine Companions (a founding member of Assistance Dogs International) outlining her training. The only difficult part was the timing of the tapeworm treatment which must be administered between 24 and 120 hours prior to arrival in the UK.

I have a vet in Amsterdam that I will get them to administer the tapeworm treatment on the day of sailing. I hope that will be close to their 120 hours period of arrival.

I would love to get someone from from Assistance Dogs International to help out my SD. I am hoping that this new organization American Service Dog Access Coalition with their Service Dog Pass will be helpful to us with SD that have not been trained by Assistance Dogs International for entry into the UK.

Hi everyone, new here. My Service dog Muppet and I are going on our first cruise, somewhat against our wishes. I have concerns about the bathroom situation for her. I am sure she will handle it though. She was professionally trained and she is an experienced flyer, we have made over 30 flights together so far but this will be the first time on a cruise and dealing with Canada and cruise ports etc...

I am also overly concerned about missing some requirements, that is my nature. It looks like this is the best place to get some advice so if you do not mind helping a new guy out. What exactly do I need from the Vet for an Alaskan cruise that starts in the US and that has one stop in Canada?

Is it Just Form 7001 or do I need any "state forms" or a vet-written "statements of health" letter as well?

I have several copies of her original rabies certificate but I do not possess the original as it was done at a vet in another city where the company that trained her was. She is still on her first 3 yr shot so until my vet gives her her new one next year all I have are these copies of the original. Is that an issue? I was going to track down the old vet who did the shot and see if they have the original or can make me a new one. If anyone has experience dealing with that please advise. We flew, mostly Delta and the DOT form, and all that has been easy but we hope to do more international travel after this Alaska cruise.

Thanks so much, Q n Mup

Going to Alaska is pretty easy - good choice for your first cruise. Depending on your cruise line, the relief box will probably be filled with mulch. You can practice ahead of time using that kind of surface.

You will need the Aphis Form 7001, the Rabies Certificate, and a current Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI) or Health Certificate to enter the state of Alaska (NOTE: The State does not accept the downloadable USDA 7001 form available on the internet, since this document does not have a unique and trackable identification number). See the Alaska requirements here: https://dec.alaska.gov/eh/vet/import-export/. My Vet did not have any issues with providing the CVI.

I would suspect (but am not sure) that a copy of the Rabies Certificate will be sufficient. I was in the same situation when I first traveled with my Service Dog (having only a copy of the Rabies Certificate). I contacted the Vet who had given her the shot and he was happy to mail me an original Certificate.

Have a good time on your cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QnMuppet said:

Hi everyone, new here. My Service dog Muppet and I are going on our first cruise, somewhat against our wishes. I have concerns about the bathroom situation for her. I am sure she will handle it though. She was professionally trained and she is an experienced flyer, we have made over 30 flights together so far but this will be the first time on a cruise and dealing with Canada and cruise ports etc...

Forgot to tag you in my post.

• Like 1

Welcome, Q n Mup. I knew Diane would have the name of that Alaska form, a somewhat recent requirement. 

In addition to those she mentioned, bring whatever paperwork the cruise line itself wants, if any. Celebrity, for example, has their very own form you must sign and bring to embarkation. 

I no longer worry about having a copy of the original rabies form vs a copy and they look almost identical.  However, our most recent years' cruises only included standard Caribbean ports, Alaska, and New England & Canada. I would request another original signed in blue ink by the vet for any foreign countries beyond those.

I bring three sets: one copy for the cruiseline to keep at embarkation, original versions for my stateroom, and a copy to take ashore in case someone local asks for paperwork.

The relief station is probably everybody's main concern on an initial cruise. It helps to tell them your exact requirements in advance, and call the accessibility department to reconfirm a couple of weeks before sailing. From Holland America Line or Celebrity, I always request a 4X4 foot square wooden box filled with grass sod. If they can't provide grass sod, I request mulch. I know my dog will use either one of those two options. Unfortunately, what the cruise lines provide is unpredictable.

Also tell the accessibility department your dining location request and reconfirm with the dining room manager as soon as you board. I usually ask for a table for two against a wall, ideally in a corner. I've had good luck with the cruise lines' providing it. 

If you've booked shore tours, you can mention that to the accessibility people, too, or ask for a phone number to talk to someone in that department, then confirm with the excursions manager on board. 

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Like 1

thanks so much for the responses! 😀 I had downloaded the 7001 and so thought I had it covered but thanks to you all I learned I did not. Your timely replies helped so much. I just returned from our vet. They have a woman there, Monica, who is experienced in helping folks travel and ship their animals etc. so she is helping me get everything I need.

She knew about Alaska not taking the downloadable version of the form. The vet office uses something called "Global Vet Link" and I guess if they use that to create the form 7001 it will have the traceable numbers AK requires. She is also doing a CVI for me and I contacted the vet who did her rabies for the service dog company and they are sending a newly signed rabies certificate for me so I will have an original with a wet signature if needed. We have always traveled with several copies of it along with her DOT form for flying and her proof of Micro chip. I also carry a micro chip reader I bought though we have never needed it so far. What do any of you carry to help with this stuff? Just curious. 

Muppet was trained for medical alert, mobility, and neurologic assistance and to help me especially while traveling. We have flown 35 flights together in the last 18 months so we are def an experienced team when it comes to flying, hopefully, we can feel as comfortable with he cruise stuff as we do with the flying, I am definitely not there yet, lol. 

We are as one person said, most concerned about where and how they expect my dog to use the restroom. We have started training on a pile of bark at home. She is not amused and giving me some serious stink eye about it but she will do it if it's all she has; she just thinks it is silly not to use our big yard when it is right there Dad!

Muppet does not like airport pet relief areas, too stinky, or too antiseptic, in all our flights, she has only gone twice on them. Never really been a big deal as long as we can find some landscaping outside when we land but it has be more nervous for the ship area than I might otherwise be. She is not "poop on comand" trained but does know that I want her to go before we enter an airport though and kinda seems to know she needs to go when I tell her so I am pretty sure we will manage with what ever RCCL provides.

I was planning on asking them to take me directly to the relief area as soon as we board to see what it is and resolve any issues right away. Someone else with a svc dog had suggested I do that. Any other advice on any of this or about the relief areas? If they would do sod that would be great but I do not think we get to make any requests? When we were first told about this cruise (it's a family reunion so not my idea) RCCL had a thing on the website saying you could request sod for your balcony but after we booked the cruise and called them they said they no longer offer that and that their website was not correct and needed to be updated. 😒

3 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Welcome, Q n Mup. I knew Diane would have the name of that Alaska form, a somewhat recent requirement. 

In addition to those she mentioned, bring whatever paperwork the cruise line itself wants, if any. Celebrity, for example, has their very own form you must sign and bring to embarkation. 

I no longer worry about having a copy of the original rabies form vs a copy and they look almost identical.  However, our most recent years' cruises only included standard Caribbean ports, Alaska, and New England & Canada. I would request another original signed in blue ink by the vet for any foreign countries beyond those.

I bring three sets: one copy for the cruiseline to keep at embarkation, original versions for my stateroom, and a copy to take ashore in case someone local asks for paperwork.

The relief station is probably everybody's main concern on an initial cruise. It helps to tell them your exact requirements in advance, and call the accessibility department to reconfirm a couple of weeks before sailing. From Holland America Line or Celebrity, I always request a 4X4 foot square wooden box filled with grass sod. If they can't provide grass sod, I request mulch. I know my dog will use either one of those two options. Unfortunately, what the cruise lines provide is unpredictable.

Also tell the accessibility department your dining location request and reconfirm with the dining room manager as soon as you board. I usually ask for a table for two against a wall, ideally in a corner. I've had good luck with the cruise lines' providing it. 

If you've booked shore tours, you can mention that to the accessibility people, too, or ask for a phone number to talk to someone in that department, then confirm with the excursions manager on board. 

I am working on a 15 day TA cruise from Amsterdam to Fort Lauderdale. I have talked with the accessibility at HAL. I have also talked with the tour depart meet and have booked my tours. They told me there should not be any problems but will let me know as soon as they start putting together the different tours and will coordinate with the tour agent. My SD is also Pee Pad trained so I don't have pack them, I found that Amazon in the Netherlands has the size I want and they will deliver to the hotel. I found a Pet Store in Amsterdam and they will deliver her food to the hotel, they are about a mile or less form the hotel. The cruise lines did put sod on the balcony if you had one. I have not checked to see if they will do that on HAL on this cruise.

Go to this site and they can give you all the information regarding health paper work you will need for you travels with you SD. https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel

Remember to go to you airlines website and down load their DOT forms and file them out and send back in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, QnMuppet said:

I also carry a micro chip reader I bought though we have never needed it so far. What do any of you carry to help with this stuff? Just curious. 

I was planning on asking them to take me directly to the relief area as soon as we board to see what it is and resolve any issues right away. Someone else with a svc dog had suggested I do that. Any other advice on any of this or about the relief areas? If they would do sod that would be great but I do not think we get to make any requests? When we were first told about this cruise (it's a family reunion so not my idea) RCCL had a thing on the website saying you could request sod for your balcony but after we booked the cruise and called them they said they no longer offer that and that their website was not correct and needed to be updated. 😒

I do not carry anything to read my Service Dog's microchip. The only time in all our travels she has had her microchip scanned was when we entered the UK from France. They had several types of scanners available (I found out that the Avid scanner would read my dog's chip).

Yes, definitely have them show you the relief box as soon as you board. That leaves you some time to deals with any issues before the ship sails. Celebrity used to let you request sod ahead of time, but they do not anymore. We have only been able to get sod on one cruise out of all our cruises.

I have not sailed RCCL so I do not know where they place the relief box. Celebrity places their box in an inaccessible location. If you have mobility challenges, have them move the box to an area you can access. I am firm, but polite that I need to have the box moved to a location I can access in my wheelchair. I do not take no for an answer.

so, RCCL sent me a pic, see below, of the relief area and it's honestly not great, looks like a small litter box compared to my 75lb dog and there are lots of rails that I would have a hard time ducking under or around plus it is located under a stairway so after you bend down to pick up the poop you can hit your head when you stand up. They did not make it sound like they were willing to listen to any suggested changes to this though. Of greater concern for me is this:

When I went to my vet last week they said they had a "new system" to use to create and store the certificates. My understanding was that would meet Alaaska's requirement for form 7001 to have a traceable number, but today when they called they said they can do an electronic CVI but not a 7001. How do I get a 7001 with a traceable number? seems to be that is what I need but no one (me or vet) knows how to get it, the vet thinks the electronic CVI is enough, my wife just found an article that suggested we have to send something to the Alaska environmental department, I am very confused, and getting terribly stressed over this, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

RCCL RELIEF AREA PICTURES.pdf

22 hours ago, QnMuppet said:

so, RCCL sent me a pic, see below, of the relief area and it's honestly not great, looks like a small litter box compared to my 75lb dog and there are lots of rails that I would have a hard time ducking under or around plus it is located under a stairway so after you bend down to pick up the poop you can hit your head when you stand up. They did not make it sound like they were willing to listen to any suggested changes to this though. Of greater concern for me is this:

When I went to my vet last week they said they had a "new system" to use to create and store the certificates. My understanding was that would meet Alaaska's requirement for form 7001 to have a traceable number, but today when they called they said they can do an electronic CVI but not a 7001. How do I get a 7001 with a traceable number? seems to be that is what I need but no one (me or vet) knows how to get it, the vet thinks the electronic CVI is enough, my wife just found an article that suggested we have to send something to the Alaska environmental department, I am very confused, and getting terribly stressed over this, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

RCCL RELIEF AREA PICTURES.pdf 535.28 kB · 6 downloads

As far as the relief box goes, I have found that it is pretty much useless to talk to the Access Department about the location of the relief box. It seems it is really the decision of the management on each particular ship. Once you get onboard, they should work with you on getting the box into a location that is accessible to you.

For our Alaska cruise last September, I had the regular downloadable Form 7001 and a Certificate of Veterinary Inspection and we had no issues. I remember seeing the requirement that a copy must be submitted by mail to Alaska, but I do not know if my Vet did that. As far as I know, you do not need both an electronic CVI and a Form 7001 with a traceable number.

The first time cruising with your Service Dog can be very stressful. I am much more comfortable now than when we first started out.

Edited by DUTRAVEL

@QnMuppet my advice would be to try a piece of fake grass.  They sell a piece on Amazon that has “drain holes” and is for a “dog potty” but you can buy the fake grass separately.

I would train the dog to use that, if you can.  Then, place it on top of a box of bark mulch.  It will provide a better surface for the dog’s paws.  Just use it for the week, and leave it for the ship to dispose of it at the end of the cruise. 

Roz, who started this thread, used to buy turf in the carpet section of the hardware store, then punch holes in it.  I spend a bit extra and it has the holes already punched.  

When you arrive on board, go directly to guest services and ask someone to show you where the potty box is located.  Don’t ask for directions, ask someone to show you.  If it is not accessible to you, ask for their manager and ask them to please help you have it relocated to a more accessible location.  I find that a smile and a plea for assistance goes a long way.  They get so many grumpy people complaining, that when you smile and ask for their help, they generally do what they can.  It will take a few hours, but they will find a better place if needed.

I frequently get a lot of assistance from the Concierge on board when I need something, if I didn’t spring for a suite.  If I sprang for a suite, the suite concierge and suite manager will be my advocates.  

I’m betting your dog will be fine.  Have faith in him and his training.  Take along extra treats for when he needs a pick me up.  Don’t be afraid to duck into a quiet place and doodle him.  
Another thing…

when I got on board the one cruise I took with Scooter…. I on a whim told a stateroom attendant who asked that his name was Charlie.  By the next morning, every cleaner on board knew him as Charlie.  We walked down the hall to “Good morning ma’am, good morning sir “ said as if they say it constantly, then “Good Morning Charlie!”  They were all excited to see him.  I saw a LOT of smiles on faces when they saw him.  We found a spot to play ball on a long line every day (I took a 30 Ft lightweight leash) and took off his vest for some play time.  We ended up meeting the chief engineer and a number of chefs… who all missed their dogs.  So, enjoy the notoriety that may come with the pup.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone been on the MS Rotterdam with a service dog? I am on the Rotterdam in October. Just want to see where they put the dog relief station. I am on deck 11. I will bring pee pads, going to have them shipped to the hotel via Amazon NE. She has been trained to use them. I will bring a couple of washable pads to put under the pee pads. That should work to keep it all tidy.

• 2 weeks later...

Friends, 

We are cruising AK round trip out of SEA on 9/2/2023. I’ve submitted our special needs list to the accessibility department, we have our vaccination certificate, and we are looking into the trackable health certificate because our vet didn’t seem to have a clue about it. 

Our problem now is the private tour we booked via Viator for Sitka is now refusing to allow my daughter’s SD on the tour, citing lack of space, but providing no alternative arrangements. I’m very disappointed in this operator, and I’m curious if any of you have toured Sitka with your SD?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, ladyj1138 said:

Friends, 

We are cruising AK round trip out of SEA on 9/2/2023. I’ve submitted our special needs list to the accessibility department, we have our vaccination certificate, and we are looking into the trackable health certificate because our vet didn’t seem to have a clue about it. 

Our problem now is the private tour we booked via Viator for Sitka is now refusing to allow my daughter’s SD on the tour, citing lack of space, but providing no alternative arrangements. I’m very disappointed in this operator, and I’m curious if any of you have toured Sitka with your SD?

Thanks!

I have cruised to Sitka a couple of times with my Service Dog, but haven't taken a private excursion. The actual town is about 15-20 minutes away from where the cruise ship docks. The town provides shuttle buses (and provides an accessible shuttle) which drop you off in the center of town. We have taken the shuttle and walked to the Raptor Center, the Sitka National Park, etc.

Without knowing about your particular excursion, it sounds like they may be making up excuses about accommodating your Service Dog. Since you are in Alaska, you are of course covered by the ADA. I would follow up with the actual operator of the tour.

Edited by DUTRAVEL
  • Like 1

You didn’t say what kind of excursion it is or whether you’d asked at the time you made the reservation about bringing your daughter’s service animal on the excursion.

It’s very believable that, say, they are using 15 passenger vans for transportation. If the van has a full load of passengers (every seat occupied), there really isn’t excess space. if you’d asked at the time of reservation and the provider did not set space aside, that’s a different matter.

I’ve often found it easier to work directly with the operator of the excursion- and purchase tickets directly from them- rather than involving a third party. And yes, with the ADA in place it shouldn’t make a difference. But is seems to. I don’g have the energy to pursue legal action every time the provider doesn’t follow the law.

• Like 1

I glanced at several excursions in Sitka on Viator. I noticed one that specified a seat width of 17 inches, advising potential customers to purchase multiple seats if additional space was wanted.

I may not have seen all wheel-based tours, but there was decidedly most that said. explicitly, no wheelchair accommodation.

The ADA is not front and center in tour operators’ minds. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone cruised recently with a Service Dog on NCL.

I have some issues with their communication and have been trying to be fair and communicate without emotion. But, how can one not be emotional when it comes to their right arm, their lifeline, their reason they are able to take these trips???

I was asked by the Access Desk what substrate I preferred sand or paper. I chose sand and practiced for 5 months. Asked where it was located, substrate, size, etc... I have all of the communication documented.

Boarding was a nightmare, I had my 7001 copy, and it was emailed by my vet, dog's health certificate, test stating cleared of heartworm, microchip documentation, etc... They asked me what my disability was!!!!!  How illegal was that? There are two questions that you can ask legally, 1. Is that a Service Dog? 2. What task does he perform?  Asked if I had a legal certificate. Well, I would if one existed, or if I paid online with no proof of training for a bogus certificate.

Finally got on the ship after two hours of what felt like an interrogation. As time passes, ask about his potty spot and if I could go down and let him go potty. No one knew anything about it. Asked the guest service, told to ask the housekeeping supervisor. Did all that, waited some more, asked again. Asked on three separate occasions, finally after 10 hours we got a 2x3 plastic tray (like airport security tray) with cedar chips. Let the housekeeping people know that cedar won't work, sensory overload for a dog and respiratory issue for my dog. Said they did not have anything else. Our room steward suggested tearing up some cardboard, but it never happened. The plastic tray was the in the crew stairwell with 3 elevators, 2 stairwells and a dishwashing room and several days of the HVAC crew banging at all hours repairing something and replacing what looked like ductwork. 

We moved the box into our room into the shower trying to give my dog some privacy and encouragement to use the box. Was quickly told that we could not have the box in our room and had to move it back to the busy hallway because of an inspection.

Day 1 - So, boarded at 11:30 am after paying for 9am slot. 8:45 am was about the last time he went potty.

Day 2 - held it all day during 'At Sea Day'. My frustration equaled his discomfort as he whined about needing to go potty all through the night! Countless trips to the busy hallway with a tiny box of litter that pet stores won't even use anymore because of the potential respiratory issues. 9-day cruise so this was an ongoing issue.

Day 3 - disembarked in the 7 a.m. and was finally able to relieve himself. (Held it 47 hours). Back on 3 pm.

Day 4 - disembarked 10 am (Held it 19 hours) back on 5 pm.

Day 5 - disembarked 7 am (Held it for 14 hours) back on 5 pm

Day 6 - sea day

Day 7 - disembarked 8 am (Held it 39 hours) back on 3 pm

Day 8 - sea day

Day 9 - disembarked 1 pm (Held it 46 hours)

Day 10 - disembarked 8:30 am (Held it 15 hours) - headed to the airport.

Guest services was no help, kept telling us to talk to housekeeping.

Guest relations is a joke, they email response finally after a month stated that I never said anything but because they value my money, here is a "$150 credit toward your next cruise if used in the next 12 months." 

Called regarding that email, same response.

Called the Access Desk, they communicated with GR, same response again. I asked her to email the chat log. "Cannot do that." I must say thought that this was the most helpful person so far. She made some suggestions to help me be heard. I mentioned all along that I want to help them improve for the next person who cruises with a service dog. But they just don't seem to care!!!

I'll let you know how it goes.

If you have any comments or suggestions on reaching up the chain of command at Norwegian, please let me know.

Saint the Service Dog and his distressed mom

15 hours ago, d-n-Toto said:

Has anyone cruised recently with a Service Dog on NCL.

I have some issues with their communication and have been trying to be fair and communicate without emotion. But, how can one not be emotional when it comes to their right arm, their lifeline, their reason they are able to take these trips???

I was asked by the Access Desk what substrate I preferred sand or paper. I chose sand and practiced for 5 months. Asked where it was located, substrate, size, etc... I have all of the communication documented.

Boarding was a nightmare, I had my 7001 copy, and it was emailed by my vet, dog's health certificate, test stating cleared of heartworm, microchip documentation, etc... They asked me what my disability was!!!!!  How illegal was that? There are two questions that you can ask legally, 1. Is that a Service Dog? 2. What task does he perform?  Asked if I had a legal certificate. Well, I would if one existed, or if I paid online with no proof of training for a bogus certificate.

Finally got on the ship after two hours of what felt like an interrogation. As time passes, ask about his potty spot and if I could go down and let him go potty. No one knew anything about it. Asked the guest service, told to ask the housekeeping supervisor. Did all that, waited some more, asked again. Asked on three separate occasions, finally after 10 hours we got a 2x3 plastic tray (like airport security tray) with cedar chips. Let the housekeeping people know that cedar won't work, sensory overload for a dog and respiratory issue for my dog. Said they did not have anything else. Our room steward suggested tearing up some cardboard, but it never happened. The plastic tray was the in the crew stairwell with 3 elevators, 2 stairwells and a dishwashing room and several days of the HVAC crew banging at all hours repairing something and replacing what looked like ductwork. 

We moved the box into our room into the shower trying to give my dog some privacy and encouragement to use the box. Was quickly told that we could not have the box in our room and had to move it back to the busy hallway because of an inspection.

Day 1 - So, boarded at 11:30 am after paying for 9am slot. 8:45 am was about the last time he went potty.

Day 2 - held it all day during 'At Sea Day'. My frustration equaled his discomfort as he whined about needing to go potty all through the night! Countless trips to the busy hallway with a tiny box of litter that pet stores won't even use anymore because of the potential respiratory issues. 9-day cruise so this was an ongoing issue.

Day 3 - disembarked in the 7 a.m. and was finally able to relieve himself. (Held it 47 hours). Back on 3 pm.

Day 4 - disembarked 10 am (Held it 19 hours) back on 5 pm.

Day 5 - disembarked 7 am (Held it for 14 hours) back on 5 pm

Day 6 - sea day

Day 7 - disembarked 8 am (Held it 39 hours) back on 3 pm

Day 8 - sea day

Day 9 - disembarked 1 pm (Held it 46 hours)

Day 10 - disembarked 8:30 am (Held it 15 hours) - headed to the airport.

Guest services was no help, kept telling us to talk to housekeeping.

Guest relations is a joke, they email response finally after a month stated that I never said anything but because they value my money, here is a "$150 credit toward your next cruise if used in the next 12 months." 

Called regarding that email, same response.

Called the Access Desk, they communicated with GR, same response again. I asked her to email the chat log. "Cannot do that." I must say thought that this was the most helpful person so far. She made some suggestions to help me be heard. I mentioned all along that I want to help them improve for the next person who cruises with a service dog. But they just don't seem to care!!!

If you have any comments or suggestions on reaching up the chain of command at Norwegian, please let me know.

What port were you departing from? I am head in October for a HAL cruise. Its a 15day TA from Amsterdam to Fort Lauderdale. I found a pet store in Amsterdam that will deliver her food to the hotel and they are checking on disposable pee pads. I have the washable pee pads I am packing. She is pee pad trained so if she will not go in the box I will have a back up. I have thought about buy this through Amazon Netherlands and have it ship to the pre departure hotel.

Dog Potty Patch.jpg

Just now, Rudi-Cruiser said:

What port were you departing from? I am head in October for a HAL cruise. Its a 15day TA from Amsterdam to Fort Lauderdale. I found a pet store in Amsterdam that will deliver her food to the hotel and they are checking on disposable pee pads. I have the washable pee pads I am packing. She is pee pad trained so if she will not go in the box I will have a back up. I have thought about buy this through Amazon Netherlands and have it ship to the pre departure hotel.

Dog Potty Patch.jpg

I would put this unit on on the balcony.

On 6/11/2023 at 10:01 PM, DUTRAVEL said:

Very helpful to point out the difference entering the UK with a self-trained or dog not trained by an organization recognized by Assistance Dogs International. We had no difficulty entering the UK with my Service Dog, but I was able to provide a letter from Canine Companions (a founding member of Assitance Dogs International) outlining her training. The only difficult part was the timing of the tapeworm treatment which must be administered between 24 and 120 hours prior to arrival in the UK.

We are doing a cruise out of Amsterdam and calling on Portland England. I am working on getting the Tapeworm treatment administered in Amsterdam. I hope we can do it on the morning the ship sales. That will put us right in the 24hr - 120hrs period before arriving in the UK. I have Bella's AKC-CGC, CGCC & CGCU certificates along with her newly passed PAT exam with a letter from the trainer. The ship's agent only wanted the medical information that would include the Tapeworm. They didn't ask about any testing. I guess the the section of their code dealing with transportation of Assist Animal by an authorized cruise ship company works.

21 hours ago, d-n-Toto said:

Sorry that you had such a difficult time. I have not cruised with NCL and I do not have any specific advice for that cruise line. When I have an issue on a ship with my Service Dog and Guest Services does not resolve it, I request a meeting with the Hotel Director. I have found that Service Dog policies are set by each ship's individual management (and vary widely by ship even within the same cruise line) and not by the corporate headquarters.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone.  I appreciate this board.  I have MS and I do have a service dog. My obedience instructor did have me test her for CGC, CGC Advanced and CGC Urban as well as Therapy Dog to prove public access, aside from her task work.  I would be lost without her at work but I am nervous to cruise with her.  My husband is my "Service Human" when we cruise but should I  ever travel without him I will need my dog.

Has anyone ever worried about a vet emergency and lack of veterinary care at sea?   I lost a puppy to GDV (bloat) once and I tend to be a worrier.

service human.jpg

Zsa Zsa RN.jpg

zsa zsa working.jpg

Edited by shepherdqueen
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, shepherdqueen said:

Hello everyone.  I appreciate this board.  I have MS and I do have a service dog. My obedience instructor did have me test her for CGC, CGC Advanced and CGC Urban as well as Therapy Dog to prove public access, aside from her task work.  I would be lost without her at work but I am nervous to cruise with her.  My husband is my "Service Human" when we cruise but should I  ever travel without him I will need my dog.

Has anyone ever worried about a vet emergency and lack of veterinary care at sea?   I lost a puppy to GDV (bloat) once and I tend to be a worrier.

service human.jpg

Zsa Zsa RN.jpg

zsa zsa working.jpg

I am about to take a 15 days transatlantic cruise with my SD. We are seeing her vet just before we go to get the required health paper work taken care of so that can be send to the some countries we will be visiting. We also have an appointment with a vet in Amsterdam. My SD must have a tapeworm treatment just before we arrive in Portland England. We hope to get her a EU Dog Passport at the same time. I don't know wear you are going but if your dog is in good health it should be fine but talk it over with you vet. They will know if she will be fine to travel with you. If they are bonded to you like my SD is it hard to leave them and you need them and they know it.

• Like 1