Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Chris so glad you and everyone are ok.  The hurricane really missed us, way south of us.  Originally we were supposed to get damage from the outer bands, when it took the little shift south it missed us completely.  Absolutely nothing, no wind, no rain.  

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with a Celebrity vacation planner recommendation?  I don't know if that is allowed here.  I usually cruise Carnival, but we are going to give Celebrity a try and they have a great special good through tomorrow.  I book directly with the cruise line, but would like a direct contact with them if possible.

Also, I anticipate taking my new service dog on that one.  Has anyone cruised Celebrity with a service dog and recommendations for them?  I was looking at a veranda/balcony.  I was able to have Carnival put the relief box on the balcony.  Will Celebrity do that?  

Linda and Halo - for now (soon to retire)

7 hours ago, rpclmc said:

Chris so glad you and everyone are ok.  The hurricane really missed us, way south of us.  Originally we were supposed to get damage from the outer bands, when it took the little shift south it missed us completely.  Absolutely nothing, no wind, no rain.  

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with a Celebrity vacation planner recommendation?  I don't know if that is allowed here.  I usually cruise Carnival, but we are going to give Celebrity a try and they have a great special good through tomorrow.  I book directly with the cruise line, but would like a direct contact with them if possible.

Also, I anticipate taking my new service dog on that one.  Has anyone cruised Celebrity with a service dog and recommendations for them?  I was looking at a veranda/balcony.  I was able to have Carnival put the relief box on the balcony.  Will Celebrity do that?  

Hi Linda - glad the Hurricane didn’t affect you! We ended up getting our power back after five days, and were able to get the minor house issues fixed quickly, which was amazing since hundreds of thousands of people in SW Florida were simultaneously trying to get repair people to come.

I’ve cruised with Raylene on Celebrity many times, but we book through Costco so I don’t have a vacation planner’s name at the line.

I’ve found that Celebrity varies a lot by ship in the relief areas and willingness to help with the box issues. Which ship are you looking at?

Our most recent cruise was last April on Constellation out of Tampa. The box location was outside on an open promenade deck with high wind and no shelter. They closed the deck access due to weather and when we explained the problem, they agreed to put a mulch filled box on our balcony. Ironically, Raylene then refused to use it (I couldn’t believe it!) so we continued to use the other box. My theory was that she regarded the balcony as part of the room (her den) after sitting outside on so many cruises, and she would not “go” in her den. At home and in other ship locations she has used mulch happily. Go figure.

Dianne has had a lot more Celebrity interaction on the balcony box issues so maybe she will offer her insights.

• Like 1

On another topic, we sold our one-level house with fenced yard very quickly, and moved in late November to a high-rise retirement community. We are in an apartment on the 11th floor with a great view of the bay, Siesta Key, and the Gulf of Mexico.

However, we now have to ride an elevator 11stories ten times a day (5 relief visits down & back up). It’s not ideal but 11 year-old Raylene quickly adapted to the new routine. Once downstairs, we have about a 30 second walk to grass in either direction, and the building is on 15 woodsy acres for longer walks, with very nice paved paths and trash cans for poop bags. 

I’m convinced our cruise & hotel travels (starting when Raylene was two) have helped her ability to take it in stride. When we enter an elevator, on ships or here, I’ve trained her to stand, usually against a wall to my left. If there’s space, I usually turn to face the elevator with her behind my legs. I don’t want her to sit or get in a down-stay because then her tail and paws are vulnerable to being stepped on. I give her a training treat or praise her as a reward for remaining in position.

I use both the passenger elevators and a service elevator (available daytime only, but closer to my apartment) and they’re all fast, fortunately! But sometimes there’s a lot of traffic, people with walkers, people in wheelchairs, food staff wheeling in tall tray carts, and so on. And the building is in the final phase of a complete renovation so sometimes elevators are temporarily turned off, workmen with supplies enter & leave, and loud noises abound, for example as they drill, hammer, or remove old tile.

Raylene has kept her cool through it all. I’m really proud of her. Of course many people want to touch her or talk to her but that’s another story. There are no pets allowed here and she is the first service dog ever (in almost 50 years!) according to staff members. So it’s somewhat like living on a cruise ship!

• Like 3

On 1/14/2023 at 9:19 PM, rpclmc said:

On 1/14/2023 at 9:19 PM, rpclmc said:

I don't use a Celebrity Vacation Planner and so I don't have any recommendations.

I have cruised on Celebrity with my Service Dog a number of times. I have found that it is useless to talk to the Access Department ahead of time about box location or filler. They will tell you that it is up to the particular ship's officers. On the "S" class ships, the box is located outside on deck 5 in a crew area down what Chris and I refer to as the wind tunnel. On the Edge Class ships, the box is located in a similar outside location. On all of our cruises, I have been able to have the box moved (because the location is not wheelchair accessible) to either an inside crew area on our floor or on a few occassions to our balcony. You will have to go to Guest Services to get the box moved (and you have to be persistent) and as Chris says some ships are more accomodating than others.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2023 at 5:19 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

Raylene has kept her cool through it all. I’m really proud of her. Of course many people want to touch her or talk to her but that’s another story. There are no pets allowed here and she is the first service dog ever (in almost 50 years!) according to staff members. So it’s somewhat like living on a cruise ship!

Glad to hear that Raylene is settling in to her new digs. Hope the other residents get used to having her there - the constant greeting must be exhausting!

• Like 1

We have just returned from our first cruise with my Service Dog on Princess (all of our other cruises with her have been on Celebrity). The relief box was located in an accessible inside crew area down the hall from our balcony cabin. Initially the box was too small (about 2 x 4), but they made a bigger box for her and all was well. I would have to say that this was the easiest cruise we have been on with regard to the box location and it was refreshing not to have to spend the entire first day of our cruise at Guest Services.

The cruise was round trip from San Francisco to Mexico which was wonderful because we didn't have to fly and the paperwork was so easy. We did have to be up and dressed before 7:00am to have her inspected by the local authorities in Manzanillo and Mazatlan. No inspection was required in Puerto Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas.

Overall, we felt very welcome on Princess with my Service Dog.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DUTRAVEL said:

We have just returned from our first cruise with my Service Dog on Princess (all of our other cruises with her have been on Celebrity). The relief box was located in an accessible inside crew area down the hall from our balcony cabin. Initially the box was too small (about 2 x 4), but they made a bigger box for her and all was well. I would have to say that this was the easiest cruise we have been on with regard to the box location and it was refreshing not to have to spend the entire first day of our cruise at Guest Services.

The cruise was round trip from San Francisco to Mexico which was wonderful because we didn't have to fly and the paperwork was so easy. We did have to be up and dressed before 7:00am to have her inspected by the local authorities in Manzanillo and Mazatlan. No inspection was required in Puerto Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas.

Overall, we felt very welcome on Princess with my Service Dog.

That sounds great, Diane!

On 1/14/2023 at 11:19 PM, rpclmc said:

Linda

Sorry - I wasn't logging in this week much.  Been exhausted.

I use a CVP sometimes.  

Her name is Tracy, and she is very good.  Tel:1(800)556-8209 is the phone number.  I think it goes directly to her, not positive.  I usually email her and then she calls me back.  Tdigiovanni at celebrity dot com

Celebrity has been changing how they assign people, and she is in "in-bound sales" 

They keep renewing the same special, so I'm betting it hasn't changed much. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone…I am trying to get some clarification and am going around in circles with Carnival. I am trying to travel with my service dog. If we do not plan on getting off the ship in port, what “documentation” do we need besides her vaccination records? Do we need to prepare documentation for each port even if we are not getting off. Thank you!

8 hours ago, farmgirlcruising said:

Hi everyone…I am trying to get some clarification and am going around in circles with Carnival. I am trying to travel with my service dog. If we do not plan on getting off the ship in port, what “documentation” do we need besides her vaccination records? Do we need to prepare documentation for each port even if we are not getting off. Thank you!

You always need at minimum two documents - a rabies certificate and a health certificate (form 7001) filled out by a veterinarian who has examined the dog, preferably a vet accredited by APHIS since some countries require that.

It’s a good idea to try and comply with various country’s regulations if possible in case you have an emergency and must get off the ship mid-cruise.

Google APHIS Pet Travel for details on taking your service dog to a foreign country -see the drop-down menu listing countries. Here’s a sample blank health form:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/library/forms/pdf/APHIS7001.pdf

Even if you don’t plan to take the dog off the ship, bring that signed certificate to the pier with the dog’s up to date original rabies certificate. I make multiple copies since it speeds things up at embarkation.

If your ship is going to the Bahamas, you should get that country’s permit, even for a cruise line “private island” such as Half Moon Cay, and even if you don’t plan for the dog to get off.

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, farmgirlcruising said:

I haven't sailed Carnival so I don't know what their policy is on documentation.

As Chris mentioned, there are some places like the Bahamas that require a permit whether or not you are getting off the ship. For peace of mind, I also always get the paperwork needed for each country whether or not we are planning to get off the ship and try to comply with the requirements to the extent possible. Sometimes meeting a requirement is not feasibly possible. For example, for our Panama Canal cruise, Panama required that the health certificate be stamped and signed by a Panamanian diplomatic office (consulate or embassy) in the United States prior to travel. I still had my Vet prepare the Panamanian health certificate, but skipped the Panamanian signature because it was too difficult to obtain. Another country we were going to visit required a particular vaccination that is not required in the United States. In that case, I drafted a letter for my Vet to sign that stated the vaccination was not commonly given in the US and was difficult to obtain.

I don’t want to take the chance of being denied boarding, or as Chris said, having an issue with my Service Dog if we had to get off the ship in an emergency situation.

• Like 2

A woman on Facebook is asking about service dog relief areas on MSC, specifically MSC Seaside.  She is not getting clear answers from MSC though it is being suggested by MSC that they supply pee pee pads for use in cabin bathroom. 

That won’t work for her service guide dog. 

I *think* I’ve seen a makeshift relief area (box + sawdust) in an out of the way place on promenade on an MSC ship but not sure. 

Any experiences from y’all seasoned service dog cruisers?

8 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

I *think* I’ve seen a makeshift relief area (box + sawdust) in an out of the way place on promenade on an MSC ship but not sure. 

I've never sailed on MSC and never talked to a service dog partner who had. One question I have is whether the cruise is sailing from/to any U.S. ports of call (versus an entirely international itinerary.) It can make a difference in whether some companies even permit dogs on board... Successful lawsuits have resulted in rulings requiring foreign flag ships sailing from/to or dock at any US port to comply with most provisions of the ADA. 

If I were in that position I would escalate to a higher level of management by phone, email, and written letter and state exactly what I need in detail (rather than ask what THEY think is a reasonable accomodation. Puppy pads aren't it.) For me, that would be the cruise line providing a 4X4 foot leakproof wooden box filled with grass sod or, if grass not available, with garden mulch. It should be placed either on the passenger's verandah if space permits or in an ACCESSIBLE area, preferably on deck under cover away from high wind and rain. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2023 at 4:29 PM, TrinaLC said:

A woman on Facebook is asking about service dog relief areas on MSC, specifically MSC Seaside.  She is not getting clear answers from MSC though it is being suggested by MSC that they supply pee pee pads for use in cabin bathroom. 

That won’t work for her service guide dog. 

Thank you soo much!!

That post was from me and i’ll make the same just in this topic.

Hello, 

I’m blind and have a service dog (guide dog for the blind).

We are cruising a 4 night cruise on MSC in May leaving and ending at  Port Canaveral.
At any other cruiseline they provide a relief area somewhere outside or in a passage for crew. Plus as far as i know every cruiseline is open about what they arrange for service dogs.

MSC works different they are secretive like crazy.
They won’t share anything even if you specifically ask what they arrange for relief areas.
The only answer we (that’s me and my TA) receive is we’ll take care of it.
As far as reviews go (very few to find) there is one that i can find that says they provide puppy pads for in the bathroom to pee.
Well that’s never going to work because a service dog is never ever going to pee or poop inside unless the dog is sick and it’s an accident… Or at least that’s how they are trained here in The Netherlands.

i understand that because they sail out of the USA they have to comply to the ADA eventho they are based in Europe.

if this is the case does the ADA have something about relief areas fro the service animal or is it only just that they have to let a SD onboard??

Thanks

On 2/4/2023 at 4:46 PM, Caribbean Chris said:

If I were in that position I would escalate to a higher level of management by phone, email, and written letter and state exactly what I need in detail (rather than ask what THEY think is a reasonable accomodation. Puppy pads aren't it.) For me, that would be the cruise line providing a 4X4 foot leakproof wooden box filled with grass sod or, if grass not available, with garden mulch. It should be placed either on the passenger's verandah if space permits or in an ACCESSIBLE area, preferably on deck under cover away from high wind and rain. 

I have myself spoken to a manager from MSC Netherlands he couldn’t find any information even when het contacted Italy the MSC headquarters he did get the smae crapy answer.

the same for my TA she went thru every contact she has with MSC and got the same old same…

my TA is going to send in the special needs form and I will do it by myself also. One of us sends a copy of the other.

i will state clearly that what you wrote because that’s exactly what I (ok my dog) needs.

31 minutes ago, yvet said:
i understand that because they sail out of the USA they have to comply to the ADA eventho they are based in Europe.

if this is the case does the ADA have something about relief areas fro the service animal or is it only just that they have to let a SD onboard??

The ADA doesn’t go into detail, it just says the dog has to be allowed to be with you in areas where the public is permitted. https://www.ada.gov/resources/service-animals-2010-requirements/

Ships are unique, of course, because you can’t take the dog elsewhere for relief when you are at sea! Customarily cruiselines have provided a box with various fillers. Sometimes grass or mulch, other times less satisfactory stuff such as sawdust or paper pellets.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, yvet said:

Hello, 

I’m blind and have a service dog (guide dog for the blind).

We are cruising a 4 night cruise on MSC in May leaving and ending at  Port Canaveral.
At any other cruiseline they provide a relief area somewhere outside or in a passage for crew. Plus as far as i know every cruiseline is open about what they arrange for service dogs.

MSC works different they are secretive like crazy.
They won’t share anything even if you specifically ask what they arrange for relief areas.
The only answer we (that’s me and my TA) receive is we’ll take care of it.
As far as reviews go (very few to find) there is one that i can find that says they provide puppy pads for in the bathroom to pee.
Well that’s never going to work because a service dog is never ever going to pee or poop inside unless the dog is sick and it’s an accident… Or at least that’s how they are trained here in The Netherlands.

Thanks

I see that you are following Chris' great advice about contacting MSC's special needs department with your specific requirements. If you don't hear back from them, try these Executive contacts:

Primary Contact
Massimo Bergamaschi
Vice President, Contact Center Operations
6750 N. Andrews Avenue
Suite 100
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33309
massimo.bergamaschi@msccruisesusa.com

Secondary Contact
Sarah Doyle
CMO Luxury Division
Avenue Eugène-Pittard 401206
Geneva, Switzerland
sarah.doyle@msccruises.com

Albino Di Lorenz
Vice President of Operations
6750 N. Andrews Avenue
Suite 100
adilorenzo@msccruises.com

Chief Executive
Richard Sasso
Chairman, MSC Cruises USA
6750 N. Andrews Avenue
Suite 100
richard.sasso@msccruisesusa.com

As to your last question, there are US federal regulations that require cruise ships leaving from the United States to allow Service Dogs onboard. The Access Board was working on further regulations that would have covered relief box location etc., but our prior presidential administration halted those regulations via Executive Order 13771 (requiring that for each new federal regulation two current regulations be eliminated). For now, we all have to individually negotiate relief box issues.

Edited by DUTRAVEL
  • Like 3

Has anyone successfully brought on a grass patch or fake grass patch on board to place in the box? I have only cruised once with my service dog and she was less than thrilled with the mulch that was provided. She eventually decided it was okay but she still wasn't happy. It was an eastbound transatlantic and we didn't see land for 11 days, so once we did get to land she was very happy to have some real grass! 

My family and I are planning another transatlantic, but this time going westbound so we won't hit the landless days until the last part of the cruise at least.

40 minutes ago, Mabbiez said:

Has anyone successfully brought on a grass patch or fake grass patch on board to place in the box? I have only cruised once with my service dog and she was less than thrilled with the mulch that was provided. She eventually decided it was okay but she still wasn't happy. It was an eastbound transatlantic and we didn't see land for 11 days, so once we did get to land she was very happy to have some real grass! 

My family and I are planning another transatlantic, but this time going westbound so we won't hit the landless days until the last part of the cruise at least.

Roz used to do that.  She traveled with a rolled up piece of fake grass (turf) that had holes punched in it for drainage.  She used to place it on top of the mulch provided, and a couple of time on top of a puppy pad on her balcony when the ship had delayed providing a box.  It encouraged them to get the box ready.  🙂

You can buy pieces of turf that are already punched for draining, or you can get it at a hardware store and then punch holes in it. Then roll it up and stick it in a suitcase to board, and just leave it behind when the cruise is over.  For a longer cruise, ask the ship to take it out and hose it off when they clean the decks every couple of days.  It should dry quickly, then be replaced.  They hose off the decks every day as it is.  

• Like 3

On 2/15/2023 at 12:28 AM, DUTRAVEL said:

I see that you are following Chris' great advice about contacting MSC's special needs department with your specific requirements. If you don't hear back from them, try these Executive contacts:

Primary Contact
Massimo Bergamaschi
Vice President, Contact Center Operations
6750 N. Andrews Avenue
Suite 100
massimo.bergamaschi@msccruisesusa.com

Secondary Contact
Sarah Doyle
CMO Luxury Division
Avenue Eugène-Pittard 401206
Geneva, Switzerland
sarah.doyle@msccruises.com

Albino Di Lorenz
Vice President of Operations
6750 N. Andrews Avenue
Suite 100
adilorenzo@msccruises.com

Chief Executive
Richard Sasso
Chairman, MSC Cruises USA
6750 N. Andrews Avenue
Suite 100
richard.sasso@msccruisesusa.com

As to your last question, there are US federal regulations that require cruise ships leaving from the United States to allow Service Dogs onboard. The Access Board was working on further regulations that would have covered relief box location etc., but our prior presidential administration halted those regulations via Executive Order 13771 (requiring that for each new federal regulation two current regulations be eliminated). For now, we all have to individually negotiate relief box issues.

Thank you so so so much for this information that helps tremendously!!

• 2 weeks later...

We just booked a cruise with Royal Caribbean yesterday. Today my brother contacted them about my service dog and they now are allowing us to request sod to be provided! I’m unsure if this is every ship but we are on Oasis. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up in case they are cruising on Royal!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 8:54 AM, Mabbiez said:

We just booked a cruise with Royal Caribbean yesterday. Today my brother contacted them about my service dog and they now are allowing us to request sod to be provided! I’m unsure if this is every ship but we are on Oasis. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up in case they are cruising on Royal!

Celebrity and Royal have both allowed you to request sod be provided. 

Just don't expect it to actually be there.....

In 2018, Scooter went with me on Celebrity Solstice to Alaska.  I had requested sod.  

Now, Celebrity Solstice was the first of the S Class ship to get their lawn.  They made a big deal about having grass on the top deck, and their Lawn Club.  

So, I get on board, and I ask where the dog box is.  Took a bit of time, they finally found it.  I next asked about the sod.  My cruise originated in Seattle.  Not an issue to have a bit of sod. 

Couldn't find it, might still be with stores in the lower level, not sure, etc.

Well, it never did show up for Scooter's box.

However, we DID notice that there were 3 pieces of sod up on the lawn. First we noticed them rolled up and to the side.  Then we saw they were cut in to the lawn (which was in horrible condition, after the Trans-Pacific).  

MY OPINION is that my sod was intercepted by the Lawn Guy and he took it to replace a small amount of his lawn, rather than allowing my dog to use it in the box.  

Either way, they don't promise you'll get the sod if you request it.  You might, or might not. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Celebrity and Royal have both allowed you to request sod be provided. 

Just don't expect it to actually be there.....

In 2018, Scooter went with me on Celebrity Solstice to Alaska.  I had requested sod.  

Now, Celebrity Solstice was the first of the S Class ship to get their lawn.  They made a big deal about having grass on the top deck, and their Lawn Club.  

So, I get on board, and I ask where the dog box is.  Took a bit of time, they finally found it.  I next asked about the sod.  My cruise originated in Seattle.  Not an issue to have a bit of sod. 

Couldn't find it, might still be with stores in the lower level, not sure, etc.

Well, it never did show up for Scooter's box.

However, we DID notice that there were 3 pieces of sod up on the lawn. First we noticed them rolled up and to the side.  Then we saw they were cut in to the lawn (which was in horrible condition, after the Trans-Pacific).  

MY OPINION is that my sod was intercepted by the Lawn Guy and he took it to replace a small amount of his lawn, rather than allowing my dog to use it in the box.  

Either way, they don't promise you'll get the sod if you request it.  You might, or might not. 

Yeah I kind of figured it will be something we will know for sure when we get on the ship. This cruise leaves from Barcelona which I feel probably even lowers my chances. We will see!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 7:11 AM, Mabbiez said:

I took a rolled up turf with holes in it for my cruise with Halo.  I had previously had my husband make a 4x4 box, filled it with dog litter and then the sod.  It seemed to take forever, but I trained Halo to use it.  He was not happy as he has an acre to use whenever he wanted, but I wouldn't let him out until after he relieved himself in the box.  

Every time he did, we made a party of it; he got amazing kudos and treats.  He didn't like it at all, but it was sure worth the relief for us that he knew how to use it.  And he did use it on the cruise.  But he would look off the balcony every morning to see if we were at a port and would hold it until we got to real grass on real land.  He is one smart boy.  

He is retiring in a few months and my next dog will be trained the same way.  

Linda and Halo

• Like 2