Slingbox Reception

lwnbwlr

Was wondering if anyone had used a Slingbox on a cruise ship and how the reception turned out.

I have a Slingbox, though I haven't tried it on a cruise ship. A few problems I think would be no wireless or ethernet access in staterooms and notoriously slow connections in the Internet Cafe. Might not be worth the effort.

I thought that I was a fairly high-tech guy and I've never heard of a Slingbox. What is it?

Slingbox can redirect up to four live Audio/Video signals from a cable box, satellite receiver, DVR, or other Audio/Video source to the viewer's PC located anywhere in the home or, when using a broadband Internet connection, anywhere in the world. For copyright reasons, only one user can access the stream from a Slingbox at a time. This way of accessing content is known as placeshifting.

The Slingbox connects a TV source (via coaxial cable, composite cables, component cables, or S-video cable) to an existing Internet connection. Digital video recorders and cable or satellite set top boxes can be controlled through a separate infrared (IR) cable that lets users change channels from the remote location. Software on a user's computer or mobile device connects to the Slingbox and provides the user interface for viewing the video stream and changing channels.

No way would it be worth it with the net connection on board. Either to slow or to expensive. Not to mention. Killing the bandwidth for everyone else. LOL

Just MHO

Still havnt found a reason or need for slingbox yet. However a cruise ship with limited sat. channels would be an idea. However like stated before. most ships dont have the computer in cabin. Per min. wireless charge would kill ya. If a full suite. Only free access in the cafe. And I am sure that would be frowned upon watching your slingbox TV down there.

Hey NasKarr

Is that NasCar?

Was wondering if anyone had used a Slingbox on a cruise ship and how the reception turned out.

I doubt the ship's bandwidth is high enough to support a Slingbox. Besides...it would be waaay expensive when you're paying for Internet access by the minute.

We watch a lot of TV and movies at home, when we're on the ship it's time to enjoy other things. It's a nice change of pace. Afternoon naps, a martini before dinner, the show in the ship's theatre, music in a lounge...you get the idea.

. . . We watch a lot of TV and movies at home, when we're on the ship it's time to enjoy other things. It's a nice change of pace. Afternoon naps, a martini before dinner, the show in the ship's theatre, music in a lounge...you get the idea.

Amen to that!! And that same reply to could be forwarded to the person in another thread who asked about Playstations -- why on earth would anyone go on a cruise and spend it buried in their cabin playing video games? Oh well, leaves more seats in the lounges and theatre available for you and me, Pam!

Boy you learn something new every day on this board. I have never heard of a slingbox. :eek:

Marilyn

Thou must make an effort to stay informed about the latest technology.

I have been using Slingbox for about a year.

As for using Slingbox or Play Station on board, the cruise routines can be a little monotonous at times,

The Internet speeds on the ship won't support the slingbox. Remember, everything has to bounce off the satellite and there just isn't enough bandwidth.

If you aren't American, just download in torrents when you get home. If you are American, well, record and watch later.

Strewth..slingboxes, never heard of them before..but now I know. Crikey we only just got Colour TV and DVD in Australia, just binned the B&W TV and VCR. !!

Maybe next millenium for slingboxes to appear here.

Cheers.:cool:

Strewth..slingboxes, never heard of them before..but now I know. Crikey we only just got Colour TV and DVD in Australia, just binned the B&W TV and VCR. !!

Maybe next millenium for slingboxes to appear here.

Cheers.:cool:

I've heard in Western Australia TV's still run on diesel, but now you can get BOTH channels!

Has anyone figured out how much energy we'd save if we unplugged all these devices?

Thou must make an effort to stay informed about the latest technology.

I have been using Slingbox for about a year.

As for using Slingbox or Play Station on board, the cruise routines can be a little monotonous at times,

Well i think on this thread there were two of us who did not know what a slingbox was. As long as I have my internet I am happy. I know there are alot of techie's out there but obviously I am not one of them.:D

Marilyn

Well i think on this thread there were two of us who did not know what a slingbox was. As long as I have my internet I am happy. I know there are alot of techie's out there but obviously I am not one of them.:D

Marilyn

No techie here. Just have a 17 year old at home.;)

Bill

The Internet speeds on the ship won't support the slingbox. Remember, everything has to bounce off the satellite and there just isn't enough bandwidth.

If you aren't American, just download in torrents when you get home. If you are American, well, record and watch later.

We have a slingbox setup at home (cause of travel), but also have a media centre pc with an Hauppage DVR.

We can record shows to the DVR from the cable company, then select record to VCR, and transfer the saved files into the media centre, where they're saved as mpg so they can be transferred to my laptop and I can watch them on the plane.

Makes seatback video seem obsolete when I can record any of the 500+ channels we get at home, and just watch them at my leisure from my hard-drive.

For a slow & intermittent signal like onboard, the Hauppage solution is way better. Just gather a bunch of things you'd watch if you had time.... space requirement is about 80Mb for an hour-long show.

I wanted to know about Slingbox reception because my wife and I are diehard GB Packer fans and we're going on a 24 day, sea intensive, transatlantic cruise this fall. I subscribe to Direct TV's pro football package in which they encapsulate every play in each game in a 30 minute time slot. I figured 30 minutes @ 50 cents = 15 bucks for the two of us...not bad for a full Packer game. But since the reception's bad...oh well; back to soccer on ESPN International.

You go on a cruise to watch TV ??

Many people cruise for a lot of different reasons. Once you pay your fare what you do on the ship is up to each individual.:) If you want to stay in your cabin all week and watch TV...well nobody is going to stop you.:)

Bill

Archived