NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

4 hours ago, kismetique said:

At the time I called, I had not booked the cruise yet (I have now based on the employees suggestions). 

Here's what he told me... He was very nice and helpful. He said to book the lowest level OV...I said, even the Obstructed OV? Yes, absolutely he said. He said to call back after I booked and see if they could "slip" me in to an Aft Balcony, but definitely not the Club Balcony Suite. 

I had the cruise on hold, but needed to make changes to the cabin and take off air, so I called to book it. He assigned the cabin and said, you don't care right, since you plan to upgrade? Correct. He then said there are plenty of balconies left, so you might wait to upgrade to see if the OOV drops in price. Get your drop, then upgrade. I like to have things settled, but I have an elderly mother in very bad health and don't want to lose my 30k points if I have to cancel.

These suggestions are just what I was told... Who knows if it's the same when I call back. I was just surprised when the first guy said he could try and slip me into the Aft Balcony from a OOV!!! He sounded very sincere. Not sure if he can see what other cruises I have booked or if it even matters, but I have a suite and 2 mini-suites booked next month for a Jewel cruise. 

Thanks to everyone for your input!

He is not being truthful.

He cannot slip you into an aft.   Reason is that afts are classified as B1 category.

Most you can go is up to a BA.  When doing the upgrade B1 is not an option.

Second, book the highest inside if you are waiting to upgrade  reason is if the lowest balcony cabins are gone you cannot cross even.

So book a IA and you now have your choice of BA,BB,BC, and BD cabins if doing a double.

Since you are sailing next month, wait to book and buy a cruise next cert and save even more.

13 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

A few months ago I got FCC for.price drops a few weeks prior to sailing.  They just treated my inside as an inside even though I used points to a balcony. I got almost $3k.

To top that, I also won my bid into Haven 😃

Good to know it happens sometimes.  I didn't realize you could still bid on higher upgrades. That is interesting and something to think about when the time comes.

9 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Since you are sailing next month.

My cruise next month is in a 2 bedroom suite with 2 mini-suites booked next door.

This cruise I'm trying to upgrade is in November.  I was kicking myself that my cruise wasn't booked when I finally got through to him, I honestly think he would have tried to put me in the aft balcony - maybe he liked my voice or had a drink at dinner and was feeling generous!  🤣  I quizzed him heavily about being able to buy a OOV and he kept saying YES! Yes, yes! I can upgrade that to the highest balcony.  Perhaps not, but that's what he said.  The guy from NCL that booked the cruise also agreed with him and suggested I book the OOV.  I've got plenty of time to switch things around and the cruise is not anywhere near sold out.  The only reason I looked at this cruise was the sale price and hubby was looking over my shoulder and said...yes, please!  Jeeze, I care nothing about Egypt, but....I'm tacking on my dream train ride through Italy to get to Istanbul...the long way!  LOL  So, I said sure!  We don't drink and we are perfectly fine with main dining room and even an inside.  But - for 19 days, a balcony would be nice if I can swing it...if not...no biggy. For the price difference, I'd take an inside over an OV any day.  When I settle on a cabin, I'll report my score - or failure. 😉

Thanks!

41 minutes ago, kismetique said:

My cruise next month is in a 2 bedroom suite with 2 mini-suites booked next door.

This cruise I'm trying to upgrade is in November.  I was kicking myself that my cruise wasn't booked when I finally got through to him, I honestly think he would have tried to put me in the aft balcony - maybe he liked my voice or had a drink at dinner and was feeling generous!  🤣  I quizzed him heavily about being able to buy a OOV and he kept saying YES! Yes, yes! I can upgrade that to the highest balcony.  Perhaps not, but that's what he said.  The guy from NCL that booked the cruise also agreed with him and suggested I book the OOV. 

As mscdivina2016 kindly put it ..... he (whoever told you he could get you aft facing balcony by Worldpoint upgrade) was not being truthful.  Maybe he had too many drinks at dinner??

I suggest you call the NCL Worldpoint Department at 1-866-954-4077 and discuss stateroom upgrade by point options with them for your cruise.   If you call ask if you've reached the NCL Worldpoint Department because sometimes when they are really busy someone else answers the phone and they won't be able to help.

• Like 1

I have found that not all WP agents know what the devil they are talking about.  For example, I have had times when they told me I could not select my own cabin, upgrades were only done as assignments.  We went back and forth a while and I just hung up and called back with an agent who gladly put me in a cabin of my choice.

MSC KJ have said a BA is maximum upgradeable cabin and this guy just storied to you.  

We applied and received the NCL CC. They gave us a whopping $1000 limit. This will not even cover a months worth of normal expenses. Tried several times to get them to increase the limit but they refused. Now, mind you, we also have a RCCl CC with a very large limit also from Bank of America. Ended up cancelling the card.

25 minutes ago, tsjt said:

We applied and received the NCL CC. They gave us a whopping $1000 limit. This will not even cover a months worth of normal expenses. Tried several times to get them to increase the limit but they refused. Now, mind you, we also have a RCCl CC with a very large limit also from Bank of America. Ended up cancelling the card.

Most banks have a limit across all cards.  When I ran into that with BofA many years ago, they were able to lower the limit on one and increase the limit on the other.  Although it is too late now, I would have kept the card for the signup bonus, used it enough to hit the points for an upgrade, used the points, and then canceled the card.  I do understand though getting irritated and acting on it because I do that sometimes as well.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KKB said:

Ok looking to use this to upgrade our Interior to OV for our Med cruise this summer.

Will I still be able to do an upgrade bid as well?

Yes, assuming your original reservation would have been eligible.

• Like 2

On 3/7/2023 at 7:01 PM, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Where you see value, others may not and only you can decide.  For us, we are balcony cruisers so I look at the cost of an inside and ocean view.me if the difference is small then I will book the OV and use 30,000 points to upgrade to a balcony.  The cost difference is usually much more than value of OBC or statement credit.

OBC is an unsound way to use your points because it leaves money on the table.  Instead, use your NCL MC to pay your onboard account.  You will get triple points as it is an NCL charge.  Then get home and cash in points to pay off that amount.

if you get OBC, you get zero points, by using the above scenario you get triple points and still get the benefit of paying your onboard expenses.

this is a great suggestion, however, I have a question.   I just applied for the MC.   The application does not say anything about statement credits it only lists the Cruise rewards such as OBC and upgrades.   Could this be a change, or do they just not advertise statement credit on the application website?    Either way is fine, we will just use OBC if we have to.  

thanks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CCJack said:

this is a great suggestion, however, I have a question.   I just applied for the MC.   The application does not say anything about statement credits it only lists the Cruise rewards such as OBC and upgrades.   Could this be a change, or do they just not advertise statement credit on the application website?    Either way is fine, we will just use OBC if we have to.  

thanks.

Yes, you can redeem them for statement credit.  I never use it so I went to my account to make sure it hadn’t changed.  The redemption rate is the same as for OBC.   When you get your card go to your online statement and click on the rewards tab, then you will have a page with two options.  One says something like redeem for travel, the other says redeem for cash.  The cash one gives you the statement credit option.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2023 at 10:15 AM, tsjt said:

I have had multiple cards with BOA etc and if I needed a limit increased I called and had them reduce the limit on 1 card and transfer it to the other.  

• Like 1

I have my first 60,000 points with NCL MC. I just checked to see when they will start to expire and it is this May. What is my first step that I should do. I understand that the best way to use them is for a double Meta upgrade. I usually book through an online cruise agent and not NCL directly. Do I need to book with NCL directly? I don't have a cruise in mind yet but could find one for 2024

Sorry, I might've read about it before but it's been a wild, sad year full of changes and I'm hoping to cruise again soon! Thanks for all your help walking through the process!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, karinad said:

I have my first 60,000 points with NCL MC. I just checked to see when they will start to expire and it is this May. What is my first step that I should do. I understand that the best way to use them is for a double Meta upgrade. I usually book through an online cruise agent and not NCL directly. Do I need to book with NCL directly? I don't have a cruise in mind yet but could find one for 2024

Sorry, I might've read about it before but it's been a wild, sad year full of changes and I'm hoping to cruise again soon! Thanks for all your help walking through the process!

The terms and conditions do not specify (that I can find anyway) if they differentiate from a book by vs a sail by expiration.  As they do not I would advise you to call WP for a clarification.  If you will not be sailing by May then use the expiring points for a statement credit so as to not lose them.  Hopefully your next batch will allow you to use them for a sailing.p prior to their expiration.  If it is going to be awhile before you sail you can continue to use your card, book a sailing which will give you triple points, and if necessary book a lower level OV which may not be too much over your IN rate, and that will allow you to upgrade to a Balcony, but not necessarily a BA category.

May is around the corner so I would call WP today so as to make a plan for those expiring points.  And no, you don’t need to book through NCL as you will book your trip in whatever way suits you with the appropriate level cabin for the upgrade you want to make.  Then you will call the rewards number for WP (yes, you can do it online, but don’t- save yourself some possible headaches and talk to a real person) and do your upgrade redemption.  They will notify NCL, who will send you an updated confirmation.

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, karinad said:

Another option would be to look at the expiration dates for your points and just cash in those that are due to expire soon - as a statement credit. Might not be the best way but at least you won't lose them.

IMHO, a double Meta isn't always the best use, as the difference between inside and OV isn't always that much.  I always go for OV to balcony.

• Like 1

It goes without saying that, as julig22 said, IN to BA is not always the best use.  You always want to compare the difference between categories.  I’ve had times when it was less than $200 and other times when it was signifanctly more for an OV.   You just have to be smart about using your points.  I do however, assert that the worst use is for OBC.

• Like 2

I agree with you all that said that the double meta isn't always the best use. I was looking at this one cruise that the difference was only $100-200 difference in price between the categories. It could always change, too as the categories sell or don't sell.

• Like 1

@MagnoliaBlossom  Good morning!  You seem to be extremely versed on the NCL card.  Thanks for all the info you share.  

I am considering applying - ever though I don't really want or need another credit card but the OBC/upgrade seems too good to pass up.  I keep getting offers for 20K points to sign up.  Am I correct in reading I should wait for a higher offer?  I believe you mentions 25K...  Is there better than that or is that usually the best offer?  

Also, how soon after you reach that threshold can you redeem for the OBC or Upgrade?  Do they make you wait a minimum time before using them?

Thank you for you help. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bonnie1222 said:

@MagnoliaBlossom  Good morning!  You seem to be extremely versed on the NCL card.  Thanks for all the info you share.  

I am considering applying - ever though I don't really want or need another credit card but the OBC/upgrade seems too good to pass up.  I keep getting offers for 20K points to sign up.  Am I correct in reading I should wait for a higher offer?  I believe you mentions 25K...  Is there better than that or is that usually the best offer?  

Also, how soon after you reach that threshold can you redeem for the OBC or Upgrade?  Do they make you wait a minimum time before using them?

Thank you for you help. 

I was able to get 25k earlier this year.  If you don't have anything immediate in mind, I would wait and see if it comes back.  We used the points for an upgrade that ended up worth a lot more than the OBC would be.  If you like sailing in an interior, that it really doesn't matter, but if you would like to sail in an ocean view or balcony, you might want to compare the value of the OBC as compared to an upgrade.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, karinad said:

What happens with the points if you book a cruise and use the points for an upgrade but end up having to change or cancel the cruise?

That’s a good question.  Precovid if you cancelled they were simply returned to your account.  Post-covid they have added verbage that says if you cancel the BOA May deem your points forfeited. 😳.  I first noticed it about a year ago when doing an upgrade they have to read the terms to you.  When he got to that it was “wait a minute, back up there” and he said yes, it was new, and to his knowledge it had not been enforced but it was possible and the company reviews those situations individually.  So, my advice to you would be to postpone your upgrade until you are positive you’re going.   I frequently  book cruises as soon as they post, as those are usually the best prices, but now rather than upgrading right away, I’m   Waiting until closer to the date to make sure no conflicts have arisen and no grand babies on the way!   It could be that they do not intend to enforce the forfeiture, but I’m treading on the side of caution.

if anyone else has had to forfeit points, please weigh in.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

That’s a good question.  Precovid if you cancelled they were simply returned to your account.  Post-covid they have added verbage that says if you cancel the BOA May deem your points forfeited. 😳.  I first noticed it about a year ago when doing an upgrade they have to read the terms to you.  When he got to that it was “wait a minute, back up there” and he said yes, it was new, and to his knowledge it had not been enforced but it was possible and the company reviews those situations individually.  So, my advice to you would be to postpone your upgrade until you are positive you’re going.   I frequently  book cruises as soon as they post, as those are usually the best prices, but now rather than upgrading right away, I’m   Waiting until closer to the date to make sure no conflicts have arisen and no grand babies on the way!   It could be that they do not intend to enforce the forfeiture, but I’m treading on the side of caution.

if anyone else has had to forfeit points, please weigh in.

It's not fair that you should have to forfeit points when we work so hard to earn them. Even when you book closer to sailing anything could happen. We always get insurance but I thought I read somewhere that the insurance wouldn't reimburse you the amount of the points lost.

• Like 1

I also have Future Cruise Certificates along with 60,000 MC points. Most likely, the cruise I book will be for 2024. I think I need to use the Future Cruise Credits in 2023, too My guess is that there's still a big difference in price between the Inside and balcony but having read some of the posts that the double meta might not be good if there's a chance I'd have to change the cruise because of booking so far ahead. I'm just confused and uncertain with what to do because I have a month to decide. I'd hate to go for just a statement credit since my goal was to get to 60,000 to upgrade.