Anchorage car rental

pmoments

Was playing around to see what a rental would cost for 4 day in June 2008. Plan to drive from Anchorage to Denali and back. Enterprise gave a price of $107 for a full size car, had to get from downtown location but it says they will pick you up. Actually, when returning it it would be close to our hotel that night. Was wondering if this was a good deal or not. Thanks!!

you'd better book it sooner rather than later as I've been watching the rental car prices - as well as the hotel prices - climb since I booked last September for this July. I've called back a few times to ensure I had the best price and the agent (Hertz) informed me that I was lucky to book last September b'c they've been raising prices every month since! And, when I looked 2 weeks prior to our departure, there were NO CARS OF ANY CLASS available. Guess no walkups!

Great, we plan to fly into Anchorage and go downtown to pick up rental then head out Talkeetna return the car downtown and stay one night in Achorage. So I just need to get from the airport to the downtown rental office. I heard taxi is about $25.

• 4 weeks later...

I just found this post as I was looking for Avis discount codes. My avis prices for 4 days in June 2008 as well was around $50 a day! I thought I would save myself some time and hassle and pay $100 to drop off in Whittier also, so that brought my total to somewhere around $300!

So needless to say, I checked this out and see exactly the same rates and I am taking it also! I will just return my car to Anchorage and shuttle to Whittier. Even w/ the additional shuttle cost (or coupon for Alaskan Leopard) I will save so much. Hope others will take advantage of this also!

Was playing around to see what a rental would cost for 4 day in June 2008. Plan to drive from Anchorage to Denali and back. Enterprise gave a price of $107 for a full size car, had to get from downtown location but it says they will pick you up. Actually, when returning it it would be close to our hotel that night. Was wondering if this was a good deal or not. Thanks!!

Note - they will pick you up but they make it VERY clear on their website that they will NOT pick you up at the Anchorage airport. You would either have to take a taxi, a public bus, a hotel shuttle or perhaps make your way away from the airport toward say the Courtyard hotel and ask Enterprise to pick you up there.

Great rate - I thought my rate of $133/week for compact was good this summer!

I just found this post as I was looking for Avis discount codes. My avis prices for 4 days in June 2008 as well was around $50 a day! I thought I would save myself some time and hassle and pay $100 to drop off in Whittier also, so that brought my total to somewhere around $300!

So needless to say, I checked this out and see exactly the same rates and I am taking it also! I will just return my car to Anchorage and shuttle to Whittier. Even w/ the additional shuttle cost (or coupon for Alaskan Leopard) I will save so much. Hope others will take advantage of this also!

My suggestion only. Take a look at routings with short visits to Alaska. Even though there can be significant cost savings with doing round trip car rentals out of Anchorage, a one way Anchorage/Whittier may be a far better option with use of time. Frankly, you have the potential for another touring day, if you drop off/pick up in Whittier. Be certain, you want to use that day, hanging around Anchorage, using time meeting up with a shuttle and not having much say in stops or timing due to a schedule.

It can be a good option, if you are planning a PWS boat tour. But a poor choice perhaps if the shuttle is essentially your day's activity and you sit on your ship. :) Again, please no flames. I am just offering an option to maximize potential sightseeing/touring time, that could be fantastic. :)

We are in the planning stages and have yet to decide if after our 5 day independent tour which mode of transportation we should take to get to Whittier to board the ship. We are flying into Anchorge and then driving up to Denali. We were planning to pick up a car at ANC, but after reading the posts, I am reconsidering. Trying to find the cheapest way...the advantage with paying the drop off fee with Avis is taking your time to get there and sightseeing.

Any suggestions?

We are in the planning stages and have yet to decide if after our 5 day independent tour which mode of transportation we should take to get to Whittier to board the ship. We are flying into Anchorge and then driving up to Denali. We were planning to pick up a car at ANC, but after reading the posts, I am reconsidering. Trying to find the cheapest way...the advantage with paying the drop off fee with Avis is taking your time to get there and sightseeing.

Any suggestions?

What is your planned itinerary and how will renting with Avis and dropping the car off in Whittier help you compared with returning to Anchorage and getting another mode of transport to Whittier? As BQ mentioned, if you keep the car and drive to Whittier, you could have an entire extra day of sightseeing - depart Anchorage early, stop en route to Whittier at Turnagain Arm, perhaps a stop in Girdwood, perhaps Begich Boggs Visitor Center, perhaps arriving in Whittier in time for an afternoon Prince William Sound cruise? That would be a good use of the extra use of the car. It costs +-$100 to drop in Whittier and the base rate is also usually higher when you do a one-way drop so it is hard to tell exactly how much more it will cost you.

If you get an early enough shuttle from Anchorage to Whittier that perhaps also includes a bit of sightseeing (some companies do that), you could do a similar thing without the car rental and still get on a PWS cruise in the afternoon.

If you are still undecided when you are first able to book the car rental, if it were me I would book a one way car with Avis and the cheapest car rental returning to Anchorage until you know for sure which you want then cancel the one you don't need. Note that it will probably require calling Avis to book the one-way. Online they say the Whittier office is closed.

You can also do far more than just driving the Arm and activies along there. If your routing, takes you- you could have enjoyed Seward and stayed there the night before. Then having the morning for some touring opportunities. Then leaving afternoon direct to Whittier.

Or having a morning from Anchorage, driving Hatcher Pass, and or the several stops available in that direction. Eagle River Nature Center, Eklutna Spirit Houses. Even a drive to Talkeetna is doable, if of interest.

I would plan on the 5:30pm tunnel opening, if you want to max out your touring day. And still have plenty of time to embark your ship.

So keep doing your homework, get your locations of interest decided, then map out a workable routing and keep fine tuning this.

Make the MOST of your time, in my opinion. :)

Our plans so far include flying into Anchorage and renting a car to drive to Denali for the first night. Then 2 nights in Talkeetna and 2 nights in Anchorage before we go to Whittier to leave on a southbound cruise on Princess.

I like to beat the main rush to board and would like to get to Whittier between 11-1. I believe the first train arrives around 12:20 pm. I have been interested in taking the train as this will be our only opportunity there. If we do this, I will have to research which rental car agency (offsite from airport) is closest to railroad depot.

Thanks for the suggestions

Are you planning on the shuttle into Denali Park??? You need more than your current timeframe. Also do not discount the fatigue factor with heading up there the same day as your arrival. Allow 6 hours for the drive Anchorage/Denali Park with brief stops.

What are your plans in Talkeetna that needs 2 nights?? With your short timeframe. You might be better off adjusting this and put your two nights at Denali Park, so to get into it.

If you like to beat the "rush" boarding a ship, then the train isn't it. Everyone arrives the same time. :)

The best use of time, in my opinion with taking the train is to consider a PWS boat tour, FAR superior to anything seen from your cruiseship.

BQ beat me to it, but I also was going to suggest 2 nights at Denali and only 1 at Talkeetna. 1 night at Denali means you are rushed getting there, and then rushed while there and returning to Talkeetna. 2 nights allows leisurely driving and a leisurely day at Denali. Unless you have activities planned at Talkeetna (an all day fishing trip, perhaps), I can't imagine why you would want 2 nights there.

BQ and Mytime53-

Now you have me rethinking....:) We actually weren't planning to take a shuttle into the park. My original thoughts were to drive to the visitors center and then the first part to Savage River on our own. We have never been to Denali before, but the thought of a long slow bus trip for several hours?...I am not yet sold on it. I know most visitors would wonder why we wouldn't do this since we are there. Are there buses and shuttles? We are going to be there on May 28th and weren't even sure when the tours started. I already have one night booked at the Lakeview Inn in Healy and thought we would spend 2 nights at the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge. We do not have any plans yet in Talkeetna. We did a helicopter landing on Mendenhall glacier on our last trip in 2004. It was great, but don't know if we would pay to do it again. We are pretty independent and like the freedom of having our own car. I appreciate any advise you can give.

As much as I like the idea of the train, I am leaning towards the Avis rental for our own drive to Whittier. If the drop off is $100-125 , the train is about $120 for 2 people so it's a wash.

Which Denali tour would you recommend?

Thanks again

~debbie

BQ and Mytime53-

As much as I like the idea of the train, I am leaning towards the Avis rental for our own drive to Whittier. If the drop off is $100-125 , the train is about $120 for 2 people so it's a wash.

~debbie

Not really a wash once you add the extra expense of the one way rental instead of the RT rate. The difference is much more than just the $100 drop off fee :(

BQ and Mytime53-

Now you have me rethinking....:) We actually weren't planning to take a shuttle into the park. My original thoughts were to drive to the visitors center and then the first part to Savage River on our own. We have never been to Denali before, but the thought of a long slow bus trip for several hours?...I am not yet sold on it. I know most visitors would wonder why we wouldn't do this since we are there. Are there buses and shuttles? We are going to be there on May 28th and weren't even sure when the tours started. I already have one night booked at the Lakeview Inn in Healy and thought we would spend 2 nights at the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge. We do not have any plans yet in Talkeetna. We did a helicopter landing on Mendenhall glacier on our last trip in 2004. It was great, but don't know if we would pay to do it again. We are pretty independent and like the freedom of having our own car. I appreciate any advise you can give.

Which Denali tour would you recommend?

Thanks again

~debbie

In my opinion, there is NO reason to go all the way to Denali Park unless you are going to go into it, which means- again my opinion, the shuttle to Tolklat in your timeframe before June 1. I never recommend the tour buses- which is running, for independent visitors. I just can not rationalize spending triple the money going to the exact same place. Otherwise perhaps consider your time elsewhere??? Homer is another fantastic location to consider??

You have the wrong idea about the shuttle bus- it is loaded with spectacular scenery and wildlife potential, the time flys by.

I also suggest you look closely at HOW you are going to spend your time in Talkeetna- it isn't even a two night stay area for me. Flightseeing is a top tour choice, but doesn't take up 2 overnights of time.

Be also aware- the Alaska RR and the Seward Highway are parallel Anchorage/Whittier, same sights with either mode of transfer.

I suggest you get this itinerary better together, before you get more reservations in place. With going next year, you have plenty of time. Especially if there are any cancelation fees involved.

Avis Downtown Anchorage has a Free Day Coupon in the current toursaver.

I have a Reservation for this August with a 25% discount from Midwest Airlines. There is also a current promo for City Locations of Avis with American Express that also gives 25% discount and a $25 AMEX Gift Card.

YMMV

Just returned from doing this type of trip (7/23-8/3)- flew into Anchorage (was suppose to land at 1207AM Alaska Air delayed and did not arrive until 545AM) - car rentals close at the airport at 1AM - however Holiday Inn Express had shuttle and then took shuttle back next morning. Originally was going to do Hertz - pick up Anchorage - drop off Seward - priced at $896 total - so decided to break it down - Used Dollar for the roundtrip Anchorage and dropped it back on Thursday evening and picked up Hertz for the portion to Seward - ended up being about $600 - this was for a mini van with Dollar and Premium with Hertz - very easy to do - had we known that we were not arriving at correct time - could have made arrangements for downtown pick up and may have saved some dollars.

We then left to Denali - spending 2 nights at Denali Princess (driving time about 5 hours) - THANK YOU BUDGET QUEEN - recommended taking the shuttle to Wonder Lake - FANTASTIC - bears, moose, sheep, caribou - wonderful people on the bus - yes it was 11 hrs but it was truly not bad (had an 11yr and 17yr old - and they never waivered in their lookout duties); spent 1 night at McKinley Princess - FANTASTIC view of Mt McKinley and then 1 night Anchorage (we had left some luggage for the cruise stored at the Holiday Inn very easy and washer and dryer)

Drive to Seward about 2 1/2 hours - beautiful

Skagway - rented car and drove to Emerald Lake in the Yukon - saw bear again and was a great day - THANK YOU TO MURRAY's GUIDE!!!

With 4 of us - had the option of train or transfers - but the car gave us much more control of our time and we so enjoyed it - and bottom line was about the same pricing but not their time frame.

Thanks again for all who helped with previous suggestions - great trip!!

I called AVIS ( the main 800) direct today and had them check for drop off at Whittier. The woman told me that location is closed on the date we would be dropping off the car. I then called direct to the AVIS location in Whittier and there was no answer. HHMMM:confused: . I wonder ?????

I called AVIS ( the main 800) direct today and had them check for drop off at Whittier. The woman told me that location is closed on the date we would be dropping off the car. I then called direct to the AVIS location in Whittier and there was no answer. HHMMM:confused: . I wonder ?????

They are open and will be when you are there next year. You are too early, probably for reservations. Last year they didn't have them available on the web site until Sept. if I recall correctly?? :)

You might also have better luck with this site, if not using it compared to the national Avis site?? http://www.avisalaska.com/

They are open and will be when you are there next year. You are too early, probably for reservations. Last year they didn't have them available on the web site until Sept. if I recall correctly?? :)

You might also have better luck with this site, if not using it compared to the national Avis site?? http://www.avisalaska.com/

thanks so much. I am reconsidering the shuttle now.:)

Archived