What do you DO in the concierge lounge??

I am on a mission...........and will gladly report back to you,if we dont find out ahead of time..

Thanks Jill..........there has been talk of Julian moving so we'll see.........

Since it's safe to assume that Julian is one of Royal's highest rated concierge's it would make sense that the company would want to move him to a larger ship. I know I would.

:rolleyes: Now you're just splitting hairs. The poster said Maritza was super and also said that they let in her sons/friends to the CL. Those two were not necessarily linked as cause & effect, but your reply of "Breaking rules does not make one super..:rolleyes: " made me think you interpreted that as being the main reason that the other poster thought the concierge was super. I was just trying to suggest to you that the poster never claimed that breaking rules was what made this person super. Now you're backing away from that, which is fine. It just came across as another of the cases of one poster pouncing on another, which

is all too common on this forum.

Exactly!

The poster that said "Breaking rules does not make one super".....Sorry If I led you to believe that was what I meant...IT WAS NOT! Calm down and try not to judge so harshly.

Now, back to the REAL important part : The concierge lounge on Sernade has a large fabulous window.

Since it's safe to assume that Julian is one of Royal's highest rated concierge's it would make sense that the company would want to move him to a larger ship. I know I would.

He has certainly worked his way up...started out in room service.....he deserves to work his way up further and further...now he is a SUPER concierge......

He has certainly worked his way up...started out in room service.....he deserves to work his way up further and further...now he is a SUPER concierge......

It wouldn't surprise me to see him as a Hotel Director one day. Can you imagine a professional such as Julian allowing 16 year olds in the CL after 5:00 pm? I guess he wouldn't qualify as being "super" for enforcing the rules to some people.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him as a Hotel Director one day. Can you imagine a professional such as Julian allowing 16 year olds in the CL after 5:00 pm? I guess he wouldn't qualify as being "super" for enforcing the rules to some people.
No, he wouldnt...:)

And I agree,I see him as Hotel Director...

Can you imagine a professional such as Julian allowing 16 year olds in the CL after 5:00 pm? I guess he wouldn't qualify as being "super" for enforcing the rules to some people.

Wow! You're witty. I hope on your next cruise, the CL is overrun with 18-year-olds, who are just barely within the rules. :p

One thing that I did not see in this thread is that if you frequent this lounge nightly or use the services of the concierge that you should tip this hard working individual if services are rendered. On our first few trips after we received diamond status, we enjoyed the cocktail before dinner nightly and the breakfast when we missed room service ordering or needed a quick bite before an excursion, we did nothing to thank this person who remembered our drink orderly nightly or gave us great suggestions on what to do at each port of call. Keep this in mind to thank this person if service was rendered since the you have no bill with the 15% gratitude already calucated.

kek17

By far the best is Seranade...the window was fabulous...Maritza(sp?) was super! and they let my son's and their friends in (16-19 y/o) in with no problem...

I agree that Serenade and her sister ships have a lovely lounge with a great view. When we were on Serenade for a BtoB we had a wonderful time with great conversation but our Concierge Juan-Diego ran a tight ship (pardon the pun) and children were NOT allowed in in the evenings.

I have had only one experience with the concierge lounge and it was extraordinarily disappointing. We had a GS and the concierge was useless. We are now Diamond and are looking forward to a better experience this time.

I have had only one experience with the concierge lounge and it was extraordinarily disappointing. We had a GS and the concierge was useless. We are now Diamond and are looking forward to a better experience this time.

Now you have our attention.:) Just what did the concierge not do for you to make you characterize him/her as "useless"?:confused: Did you make reasonable requests that were ignored or was it something else? We have had concierges, some of whom were more personable than others, but never have we found one that we would have described in that manner.:rolleyes:

Negc- I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. It was just that he was either, not there (only saw him once) and the one time he was there, he totally ignored us. He couldn't fulfill any of our requests because he wouldn't give us a moment to make any (let alone, ask any questions). After waiting for almost an hour we were late for dinner, so we gave up and left. It was disappointing because I was so excited about the idea of a concierge lounge. We never went for cocktails, etc. because we didn't know what, if anything was offered.

Anyway, that's what happened. Nothing dramatic, nothing earth-shattering.

By far the best is Seranade...the window was fabulous...Maritza(sp?) was super! and they let my son's and their friends in (16-19 y/o) in with no problem...

I think you meant when Martitza was fantastic that she was warm, very helpful in taking care of problems, in the CL at designated times. That was our experience on the Serenade last summer.

I am a bit disapointed that she let in underage kids in during the cocktail hour (5-8:30 PM) when the policy is no one under 21 because of the alcohol and the problems RCCL has had with some kids drinking. I'm sure your kids did not drink alcohol but enforcing a policy is important. Was the CL heavily used during your cruise or was there a special reason that she bent the rules?

Negc- I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. It was just that he was either, not there (only saw him once) and the one time he was there, he totally ignored us. He couldn't fulfill any of our requests because he wouldn't give us a moment to make any (let alone, ask any questions). After waiting for almost an hour we were late for dinner, so we gave up and left. It was disappointing because I was so excited about the idea of a concierge lounge. We never went for cocktails, etc. because we didn't know what, if anything was offered.

Anyway, that's what happened. Nothing dramatic, nothing earth-shattering.

You didn't come off as rude, but if you only saw him once, perhaps you should have tried again and given him another chance to assist you. You should have received a letter in your stateroom along with the key card, that explained his hours and the services he would be able to provide. If you were a late for dinner because you were waiting for him, I am surprised that you didn't see what drinks and hors d'ouevres were being served in the lounge between the hours of 5 and 9 pm. Don't let your bad experience color your opinion of the concierges on RCI and the next time you are on an RCI ship, please give them another chance.:)

I didn't see any cocktails when we were there. There were a couple of families with kids running around and the concierge was involved with a gentleman. I waited patiently in full view, without disturbing him. He did not acknowledge my presence in any way. When we did return a couple of times, the lounge was vacant.

I'm sure this time we will enjoy any amenities they have to offer.

I am a bit disapointed that she let in underage kids in during the cocktail hour (5-8:30 PM) when the policy is no one under 21 because of the alcohol and the problems RCCL has had with some kids drinking.

Actually, the age requirement for the CL (after 5pm) is 18, not 21.

Thanks for all the great responses to my questions! My daughter will be 17 by the time we cruise, and I can pretty much bet that she won't care ONE bit about whether she can come in or not! I may ask if she can take a peek inside just so she can say she did, but I promise i won't let her set foot in the almighty concierge lounge!:D ;) Just kidding, of course! She won't care one way or the other, and i'm sure she will be busy doing other things! Thanks for all the replies, now i have a good idea of what they do and what to expect! thanks again!!:)

Actually, the age requirement for the CL (after 5pm) is 18, not 21.

According to the letter we received from the Concierge on our April cruise on Radiance, it states

"During the evening hours when alcohol is being served only guests 21 years and older are permitted in the Concierge Club".

The drinking age on all RCI ships is 21 years of age and older now.

According to the letter we received from the Concierge on our April cruise on Radiance, it states

"During the evening hours when alcohol is being served only guests 21 years and older are permitted in the Concierge Club".

Well, there is even more reason why she won't be able to go in!:) Cruisinfever, I just have to say that your upcoming trips look like they are going to be SO MUCH FUN!! :)

Well, there is even more reason why she won't be able to go in!:) Cruisinfever, I just have to say that your upcoming trips look like they are going to be SO MUCH FUN!! :)

I agree with you.........with the age requirement raised.........anyone under the age of 21 should not be allowed it.

Thanks...........we are really looking forward to all of them...........it's paying for them that really makes us sad!!:(

Oh. I didn't realize that. Must be a recent change. It still says 18 for the Concierge Club Lounge on the C&A section of the website.

Maybe, but that seems unlikely to me. That may have been a part of the reason that they thought Maritza was "super", but I doubt that the poster meant that it was the main reason. (But I could be wrong.)

This certainly seems like an area where the "higher ups" wouldn't mind letting the concierge have some discretion, though. If they really were well-mannered and weren't doing anything to disturb other guest, and the CL was not crowded, why shouldn't the councierge let them in? I suspect that policy is a lot more about underage drinking than about "adult time." If there were few enough people in there that "Maritza" felt comfortable that there would be no issues, then it should not be a problem.

Just a quick question, alcheme.

Would you apply this same logic to the Solarium?

Just a quick question, alcheme.

Would you apply this same logic to the Solarium?

I'm certainly not as hung up on kids in the Solarium as many people are, but the answer to your question would be no. The Concierge Lounge and Solarium serve very different purposes. The Solarium doesn't have an open bar. The age rule there is exclusively because it's meant to be a place where people who want to can get away from the kids.

We also had a less than stellar concierge on one of our cruises. His name escapes me at the moment (senior moment:) ). He basically ignored everyone that came into the lounge in the evening, as all his of attention was devoted to this gorgeous blonde and her girlfriend, who were in the lounge every evening. He got their drinks, sat with them on a couch, and talked excusively with them, to the exclusion of everyone else in the room.

I really couldn't blame him though. If I were forty years younger, 100 pounds lighter, had all of my hair (still have my teeth !!), and oh yes, DW was NOT by my side, I would have been over there with the girls too.

Ah, the memories of youth.

(Just kidding dear, in case DW finds this thread)

Hypo

LeighNTexas, your daughter can go in the lounge any time up to cocktail time. They do a continental style breakfast in the morning which is great to grab and take back to the room or enjoy in the lounge itself since it is very quiet in there in the morning. First thing every morning, I head there for my first cappuccino of the day, the best onboard. IMHO

Oh. I didn't realize that. Must be a recent change. It still says 18 for the Concierge Club Lounge on the C&A section of the website.

Interesting -- I think it ws 21 on Mariner but this picture of a sign at the Diamond Lounge on Liberty says 18 (hopefully it uploaded -- I reduced the size:

1777640833_DiamondLoungeLiberty3.jpg.fe5b723e50594d285828f22005fb7776.jpg

Archived