If you we're going on a wedding cruise would you pick Caribbean or Grand?

JoefromBergenNJ

Which wedding cruise date would you select?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which wedding cruise date would you select?

• No opinion - Don't Care - Wouldn't Matter
    • July 1, 2008 - 9 Nights Caribbean Princess
    • December 19, 2008 - 14 Nights Grand Princess

Ok, it's my daughter getting married and she told us this weekend she would love a wedding cruise. We're thrilled and, my daughter has narrowed it down to two dates that work for the bride and groom. Most family (on both sides) are pretty flexible and agreeable.

And yes space is available on both ships with group rates.

So while the decision will be ulitimately up to my daughter and my future son-in-law. I'd just like some basic input from you all.

If you were our invited guest on a wedding cruise - which is more appealing to you:

Caribbean Princess

July 1 , 2008

DayLocationArrivalDepartureTuesday, July 1, 2008New York, New York--05:00 PMWednesday, July 2, 2008At Sea----Thursday, July 3, 2008At Sea----Friday, July 4, 2008San Juan01:00 PM08:00 PMSaturday, July 5, 2008St Maarten08:00 AM06:00 PMSunday, July 6, 2008St Thomas07:00 AM04:00 PMMonday, July 7, 2008Grand Turk, Turks And Caicos01:00 PM06:00 PMTuesday, July 8, 2008At Sea----Wednesday, July 9, 2008At Sea----Thursday, July 10, 2008New York, New York07:15 AM--

Or

Grand Princess

December 19, 2008

DayLocationArrivalDepartureFriday, December 19, 2008Fort Lauderdale--05:00 PMSaturday, December 20, 2008At Sea----Sunday, December 21, 2008At Sea----Monday, December 22, 2008Aruba08:00 AM05:00 PMTuesday, December 23, 2008Curacao08:00 AM05:00 PMWednesday, December 24, 2008At Sea----Thursday, December 25, 2008Port Of Spain08:00 AM05:00 PMFriday, December 26, 2008Barbados08:00 AM06:00 PMSaturday, December 27, 2008St Vincent08:00 AM05:00 PMSunday, December 28, 2008St Kitts08:00 AM05:00 PMMonday, December 29, 2008St Thomas07:00 AM06:00 PMTuesday, December 30, 2008La Romana08:00 AM05:00 PMWednesday, December 31, 2008At Sea----Thursday, January 1, 2009Princess Cays09:00 AM04:00 PMFriday, January 2, 2009Fort Lauderdale07:00 AM--

This may sound crass but, to me it would depend on who's paying. I'm assuming you, the brides parent's aren't picking up the tab - and if you are, can I be an adopted relatives?! :rolleyes:

But, getting back to price, I'd say the July 1 - 9 night cruise will be more affordable to most of your friends and family.

Just something to keep in mind

Ok, without making too many new friends on here :rolleyes: I should tell that my wife and I are picking up the bill for the ENTIRE wedding, that includes cabins for ALL GUESTS.

Ok, let the long lost relatives start coming out of the wood work LOL

Joe, hi, you probably don't remember me, I'm your long lost niece :D LMAO

Ok, HAD TO DO THAT!

Now, seriously, like you said, it's going to be up to the bride and groom and, IF my parents had the type of funds to be this generous with me - the reality is that I'd WANT the December cruise but, considering the cost involved I'd probably SETTLE for the July cruise.

Understand what I'm saying? Your daughter may take the lesser of choices to save you money.

If cost isn't a factor, treat everyone to the longer cruise, not only will you make your daughter's wedding much more special, but, you'll have a chance to catch up with friends and family.

BTW - it is VERY generous of you and I wish you and your daughter the best

Ok, without making too many new friends on here :rolleyes: I should tell that my wife and I are picking up the bill for the ENTIRE wedding, that includes cabins for ALL GUESTS.

How lucky your daughter is! If they don't mind an "older" age group, go with the Grand. We love the :D Carribean Princess.

How can so many people take off work that long? And personally, I would not want the group to go on a cruise with me and my bride. Just my opinion, but I would save BIG money and send the daughter and groom on the 14 day cruise by themselves. I know...it's a wedding cruise. But that is my opinion.

If a lot of people are going for sure, I would make it the shorter of the tow, and probably be looking for a 7 day cruise.

I was born in Ridgewood, and lived in Upper Saddle River when I was in high school. I think we surely must be related!:D

I have not been on the Caribbean Princess, but I know it was built in 2004. The Grand was built in 1998 and refurbished in 2004. We sailed on the Grand Princess last year and although you could tell it was once a beautiful ship, I thought it looked like it needed some renovations to bring it back to it's glory. Just my opinion.

Personally .. although I love a long cruise ... I don't think I could take my relatives for 14 days .. how about doing the wedding on the July cruise .. everyone gets of the ship but the bride and groom .. and you give them the next cruise as a honeymoon .. if you can do a B2B on that one !!

Honestly, between these two I would choose the Grand because you are not in hurricane season, and also while it is still warm in the Caribbean in December, it is not so d$%^ hot.

But, really, I would look for a sailing in early Dec. for a week, if you wanted guests to be able to attend, even though you are picking up the tab. If you wanted to extend the trip for a select few, then you could book a b2b.

I don't think the "age" of the Grand will matter at all, it has already had a refurb, and having been on both, well, they are both wonderful ships.

By the way, remember me? Your niece in Delaware?

p.s. I gave you an answer on your other thread.

I have sailed on both the Caribbean Princess as well as the Grand. The CB is newer, but remember that it also has an extra deck of passenger cabins without any significant (if any?) amount of added public space. We were on the CB during the week before Christmas and the Grand during spring break, so they were both packed. I found the food and such to be equivalent, and the layout of both ships is really quite similar.

You asked for opinions; here's mine. I'd choose the Grand, not because of the ship (that doesn't factor in for me in this particular one since they're so similar), but because of the better itinerary (more exotic- more places you're less likely to hit on a 7 dayer out of FL) and the fact that it is in December. It's hot where I live in July; it's cold in December. Which time will I appreciate the warmer weather more? December of course. Plus, everyone will be jealous when they come back with nice tans in the middle of the winter!

Someone noted that there would be an older crowd on the Grand (with the implication, I think, that the honeymooners would like that less.) While I agree, possibly, with this assessment, I think it's an asset- more quiet, more respectful, less screaming kids, less debauchery, and possibly more empty hot tubs. Sounds like a heckuva honeymoon to me!

Ok, it's my daughter getting married and she told us this weekend she would love a wedding cruise. We're thrilled and, my daughter has narrowed it down to two dates that work for the bride and groom. Most family (on both sides) are pretty flexible and agreeable.

And yes space is available on both ships with group rates.

So while the decision will be ulitimately up to my daughter and my future son-in-law. I'd just like some basic input from you all.

If you were our invited guest on a wedding cruise - which is more appealing to you:

Caribbean Princess

July 1 , 2008

DayLocationArrivalDepartureTuesday, July 1, 2008New York, New York--05:00 PMWednesday, July 2, 2008At Sea----Thursday, July 3, 2008At Sea----Friday, July 4, 2008San Juan01:00 PM08:00 PMSaturday, July 5, 2008St Maarten08:00 AM06:00 PMSunday, July 6, 2008St Thomas07:00 AM04:00 PMMonday, July 7, 2008Grand Turk, Turks And Caicos01:00 PM06:00 PMTuesday, July 8, 2008At Sea----Wednesday, July 9, 2008At Sea----Thursday, July 10, 2008New York, New York07:15 AM--

Or

Grand Princess

December 19, 2008

DayLocationArrivalDepartureFriday, December 19, 2008Fort Lauderdale--05:00 PMSaturday, December 20, 2008At Sea----Sunday, December 21, 2008At Sea----Monday, December 22, 2008Aruba08:00 AM05:00 PMTuesday, December 23, 2008Curacao08:00 AM05:00 PMWednesday, December 24, 2008At Sea----Thursday, December 25, 2008Port Of Spain08:00 AM05:00 PMFriday, December 26, 2008Barbados08:00 AM06:00 PMSaturday, December 27, 2008St Vincent08:00 AM05:00 PMSunday, December 28, 2008St Kitts08:00 AM05:00 PMMonday, December 29, 2008St Thomas07:00 AM06:00 PMTuesday, December 30, 2008La Romana08:00 AM05:00 PMWednesday, December 31, 2008At Sea----Thursday, January 1, 2009Princess Cays09:00 AM04:00 PMFriday, January 2, 2009Fort Lauderdale07:00 AM--

quote:" And yes space is available on both ships with group rates." I don't see these two listed under Cruise Critic Member Cruises.

So, are you recruiting others for another group cruise with Nick, Joe?

Dear favorite Uncle,

I think you are pretty smart. Inviting and footing the bill for a cruise wedding will probably save you money in the long run, unless you are picking up the bar tab for each guest.

Which date to choose is a tough one. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Whichever it turns out to be, I'm sure it will be a great time for all.

Personally .. although I love a long cruise ... I don't think I could take my relatives for 14 days .. how about doing the wedding on the July cruise .. everyone gets of the ship but the bride and groom .. and you give them the next cruise as a honeymoon .. if you can do a B2B on that one !!

I like this idea the best.

What a generous offer to foot the bill for all the guests! I sure wish I was related to you!

If money is no object I would go with the 2 week cruise in December. The ship will be decorated for Christmas and the holidays are a wonderful time to have family and friends together. The itinery sounds great too. The honeymooners will find plenty of time to be together, it isn't like they have to share a room! :eek:

I would be happy to come along and run interference for when the couple wants some alone time. Since I know none of your family, if I make them mad it won't matter, they won't have to see me again! :D

I'm fairly new at this cruising thing, but I know that a July 4th cruise is extremely pricey (the reason I cruised 7/8 instead of 7/1 just now). The December 19 sailing is shoulder season; the New Year's cruise is the expensive one there because people tend to like to celebrate X-Mass with family (but that wouldn't be the case here since family is coming along).

If I was given that choice, I'd choose December (good points on the tans and ports made earlier).

quote:" And yes space is available on both ships with group rates." I don't see these two listed under Cruise Critic Member Cruises.

So, are you recruiting others for another group cruise with Nick, Joe?

Looks that way.. Several posts from the same group seem to be popping up on various cruise boards.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was married on 11/21/05 on the Caribbean Princess. It was a wonderful experience. If you would like to see some of our pictures, you can go to www.escapecruises.shutterfly.com

I still have the paperwork that outlines prices for the wedding package and reception options if you'd like to see it.

We had our ceremony at sea on the second 'at sea' day at 2pm i think.

We did a reception with hours d'ouvres and a cocktail hour in Skywalker's Lounge, we arrived via the moving inclinator, and it made for an awesome arrival photo op (see the pics).

We had a DJ, did danced, drank and were merry (there were 11 of us)

We then did our reception at Sabatini's, which was out of this world. We opted not to do the private reception dinner, but chose the option of having a separate area during the regular dinner time. It was more economical, and you can add beverage and wine packages for the reception dinner anyway for about $13 per person. It was SOOOOO worth it.

If you need any tips, look at some of my other posts from the past, I think I did a review. If you need any help or tips, feel free to drop me or my husband a line at my screen name at yahoo dot com. I'd be happy to email you the PDFs of the wedding pricelists from The Wedding Experience (the contracted provider of wedding services).

BTW, they are not at all helpful in helping you plan your even. It's like they are the order taker off of the chinese menu.

We got flowers for our entire party, and ordered them through TWE, however once onboard, you can go to the florist and get them if you're not getting married on day 1. Prices were so much cheaper, I paid $80 for my matron of honor's bouquet, and it was much cheaper if I'd ordered onboard. Just a friendly tip.

best of luck!

Archived