question for river cruisers

Yosemitegal

It was mentioned in one of the posts that the use of a curling iron with a converter would still burn up the curling iron. I had planned on using a curling iron on my upcoming river cruise with Amadeus, has anyone used a curling iron and was there a problem with it?:confused:

I had a curling iron blow on me in the UK. It had a switch that could convert, and I had a converter plug. It still went. What is recommended? I know that they have hair dryers in the cabin. What about our phone charger, camera charger, etc.???

Make sure that your curling iron is dual voltage. I burned one up in Italy because it was not dual voltage and I just used an adapter.

I used a curling iron (dual voltage) in Russia on Amadeus and it worked fine with just an adapter. If it is not dual voltage - you need an adapter plus a converter. With a dual voltage, you just need an adapter.

You need to check each one. If it says 110 - 240 and 50-60, you will be fine.

U.S. voltage is 110V/60hz

UK operates at 240/50hz.

Most battery chargers, laptops, cell phones are dual voltage. Though just check the device (it should be printed or embossed on the device). Things with motors probably are not (blow dryers, etc..).

If it just says 110 or 120, then you need a converted and adapter. If it says 110-240, you just need an adapter.

Here is some info from Amadeus's website:

Electricity

Electricity on board is 220 volts. You will need an adapter, as well as a converter for appliances. Small, personal appliances, such as curling irons or electric razors require an adapter. As for appliances that are not dual voltage, you will need a converter.

http://amadeuswaterways.com/reservations.asp?page=tvlres_eur&view=cab

Having blown out both hair curlers and adapters, we have found that the high quality converters - not just a plug adapter - work fine. On Amadeus Waterways (5 cruises with them) have also found that they carry onboard a FEW adapters for passangers. Best to check quickly upon arrival at the desk. Because we are filing our trip for DVDs we usually bring enough, but sometimes with cameras, batteries hair curlers, computer, etc. we really have to juggle time on the plugs. It is always best to bring your own - Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, etc. - but don't be tempted by the "cheapies" - one to do the job will run $20-30. If you travel lots it is really worth the trip to the beauty supply store to get a hair curler that works 110-220.

Thanks everyone for the information. I have an adapter and a converter, and I think that my curling iron is dual voltage....so it sounds like I might be in business. If all else fails I guess it wouldnt kill me to just blow dry and go....

Clint and Sue, do you remember if there was an alarm clock on the night table in the cabin on the Amadeus cruise?

Yosemitegal,

Please also check your converter for the wattage. A hair dryer for example can have between 1000 and 2000 W. So if your hair dryer has 2000 W but you converter only provides 1000 W it won´t work and you blow out your converter. The more wattage the converter is "producing" the heavier the converter is.

AliceS,

As said before check the labels on your electronic devices. Usually laptop chargers, digital camera chargers or cell phone chargers are working from 110 - 240 V meaning you only need an adapter for the prongs.

In case there is a 110 V outlet in the bathroom this is for shavers and electric toothbrushes only as it doesn´t provide enough wattage for high power devices like a hair dryer.

steamboats

I am going to check the wattage on all my things right now. I keep thinking that I have tons of time to get organized, but we leave on 8/22 and that will be here soon. We should get our documents any day. Thank you everyone for the information.

Clint and Sue - I gave Marina a hug from you 2. She told me to tell you hi when I communicated next with you... She was fantastic! Definitely the glue that held that ship together.

Thanks for all your help!

Yosemitegal,

Please also check your converter for the wattage. A hair dryer for example can have between 1000 and 2000 W. So if your hair dryer has 2000 W but you converter only provides 1000 W it won´t work and you blow out your converter. The more wattage the converter is "producing" the heavier the converter is.

AliceS,

As said before check the labels on your electronic devices. Usually laptop chargers, digital camera chargers or cell phone chargers are working from 110 - 240 V meaning you only need an adapter for the prongs.

In case there is a 110 V outlet in the bathroom this is for shavers and electric toothbrushes only as it doesn´t provide enough wattage for high power devices like a hair dryer.

steamboats

Thank you for posting. I'm glad to know now what I need regarding appliances. I don't like these kind of surprises.

Archived