Thinking about folding chairs on our next cruise....... opinions please

We have been having a big discussion about whether or not to take two fold up chairs on our next cruise.

We would use them on the islands where we tender, ie: Mystery Island, Isle of Pines, Wala etc.

The idea is to have a comfortable place to sit and watch and enjoy the beach whilst occasionally swimming and snorkelling.

Both of us are a bit beyond sitting on the sand on a towel. It is a long way down and DH's back is not the best.

The chairs would be those ones that fold like an umbrella and are in a carry bag. You know, about $12.00 from cheap shops.

Is it too much? Would others stare and think we are a couple of weirdos? :D

We are thinking that we would definitely spend more time on the islands if we were comfortable and we always think we should've spent more time there. You are a long time at home and back at work. :o

So some opinions from my CC friends would be useful.

I should add that we are not flying to Sydney so there are no problems with luggage.

What do you all think? Are we a couple of weirdos? :p

:) Hi Jenny,

the fold up chairs sound like a good idea.I have a back problem, too and sitting on the beach with nothing to lean against is painful for me,so I understand what you are saying. I wish I had of thought of them before.:) Don't worry what other people think - take the chairs and have a wonderful time.

Good wishes, Pink Poodle.

So some opinions from my CC friends would be useful.

I should add that we are not flying to Sydney so there are no problems with luggage.

What do you all think? Are we a couple of weirdos? :p

Weirdos?

NO.

I would never of thought of it, but this is a very sensible & practical idea. They are light & easy to carry. Sort of thing people take to the beach, picnics, sport all the time. Who knows, if the deckchair hogs are about, you will always have a chair next to the pool as well.

Plenty of US cruisers would be jealous, very restrictive on plane luggage there.

Cheers,

Geoff

My dearest Jenny I think you weird now if you didn't, what a brilliant idea, I'm all for what makes you feel good :D :D :D It's your holiday do what you want:p cheer's elaine

Hmmm, perhaps you're all correct. This ISN'T the best forum to ask if we are weird....... :D

The more I think about it, the better the idea seems.

Epal, you will be able to point and stare, you're on the same cruise. :eek:

DH's only worry is getting on and off the tenders.

I was thinking of having names printed on the back of them. BRUSHTAIL and BRUSHTAIL'S DH. :p

sounds like a great idea. make sure you get one with the drinks holder too.

Maybe see if a neighbour or friends have some, anyone who has kids do sports will have one. Replace theris with a new one and then leave yours behind if space is a problem, Leave it safely or maybe that may not be such a good idea!!

maybe we could organise a passdown line whereby you hand it to someone else going on the next cruise at the checkin line.

i know people going to disney who have a fridge passdown

I too have a back problem and depended on my daughters for a hand up off the sand. What a great idea, I just assumed P & O wouldn't like us taking 'furniture' onboard. Those chairs are not a lot more than a big umbrella and I know people who take those. Mmmm, would you carry it on with you or put it where you book in your luggage. Tagged etc.. I was actually thinking of taking my beach shelter cos November is going to be a lot hotter than my previous April cruises.

sounds like a great idea. make sure you get one with the drinks holder too.

Maybe see if a neighbour or friends have some, anyone who has kids do sports will have one. Replace theris with a new one and then leave yours behind if space is a problem, Leave it safely or maybe that may not be such a good idea!!

maybe we could organise a passdown line whereby you hand it to someone else going on the next cruise at the checkin line.

i know people going to disney who have a fridge passdown

The mind boggles, How big is the fridge ? do they just keep handing it on to the next cruise?, who gets to clean it:rolleyes: what if no one they no is travelling, will the fridge find its way home, or will some one adopt it Fridges need to be looked after.

Mmmm, would you carry it on with you or put it where you book in your luggage. Tagged etc..

We borrowed two to check them out. They look OK. DH reckons they will fit in the bottom of a sports bag and then we could put our masks and snorkels etc. on top of them and check them in.

I was thinking of having names printed on the back of them. BRUSHTAIL and BRUSHTAIL'S DH. :p

Its a great idea Jenny - go for it.

Don't agree about the names, instead paint your possums on the back.

LOL Derek

I think the fold up chairs are a great idea!

If they're not too bulky and heavy then go for it!!

I just bet you find quite a few others on your trip asking if you got the chairs on board because they want one too!!

You could be starting a lasting trend here Jenny :)

• 2 months later...

I bit the bullet and went shopping today and bought the chairs. :p They are lighter than we thought and should come in useful on our snorkelling islands where there is nothing but a beach. We paid $9.00 each at Big W.

There's even a drinks holder for my Tequla Sunrise. We've got everything we need now, all we have to do is wait. Not long now.

Hi Jenny

How are you travelling to Sydney for your departure? When we travel on weekdays we usually hire a car and drop off at Star City (Avis depot). In January we leave on 27th (Sunday) so our son will drive us down but we come back on Wednesday so we'll probably hire a car. It usually works out the cheapest and easiest way for just 2 of us.

Jen:)

Hi Jen,

Last May we drove down, dropped our big luggage at Wharf 8 and then drove to Harbourside Parking at Darling Harbour where we left the car for 10 days. They charge $14.00 per day for P&O passengers. Then it is a simple matter of a taxi across to Wharf 8 ($10.00) and there you are. Heaps cheaper than a shuttle from the Newcastle area. They wanted $145.00 each.

This time we are luckier, our youngest daughter has moved down to North Sydney for work and has offered to mind our car for the 2 weeks, take us to Circular Quay and then pick us up at Wharf 8 when we return. As this is a big saving for us, we will pass some of it on and give them some money to go out for tea. So we all win. - except Harbourside Parking. :D

Because we have no plane connection, it doesn't matter how much luggage we take, hence the chairs. :p

Hi Jen,

Last May we drove down, dropped our big luggage at Wharf 8 and then drove to Harbourside Parking at Darling Harbour where we left the car for 10 days. They charge $14.00 per day for P&O passengers. Then it is a simple matter of a taxi across to Wharf 8 ($10.00) and there you are. Heaps cheaper than a shuttle from the Newcastle area. They wanted $145.00 each.

This time we are luckier, our youngest daughter has moved down to North Sydney for work and has offered to mind our car for the 2 weeks, take us to Circular Quay and then pick us up at Wharf 8 when we return. As this is a big saving for us, we will pass some of it on and give them some money to go out for tea. So we all win. - except Harbourside Parking. :D

Because we have no plane connection, it doesn't matter how much luggage we take, hence the chairs. :p

Hi jenny,

i should get you to get a couple for us that are flying in from melbourne...lol

It is a great idea i'm sure you will be very comfortable..

Got my ipod today, now i just have to fill it up with some songs and maybe some pictures of our girls to show off to everyone.

All the best

Don

Hi Jenny

How are you travelling to Sydney for your departure? When we travel on weekdays we usually hire a car and drop off at Star City (Avis depot). In January we leave on 27th (Sunday) so our son will drive us down but we come back on Wednesday so we'll probably hire a car. It usually works out the cheapest and easiest way for just 2 of us.

Jen:)

Hi Jen,

Have found in the past, that unless travelling alone, car rental or train+taxi to be the cheapest. I find a rental up the freeway is great till I get home, then have the hassle of dropping it off, adding to the length of the day.

For easiest, an LTD limo from www.newcastlelimo.com.au is a similar price as two on the shuttle (from $250). Plenty dearer, but I have no intention of dulling a great holiday with a hassled day getting home. Also plan on drinking a bit of duty free on the freeway as well.

Cheers

Geoff

Don, I can get you a couple of chairs if you want. It would be simple. You could leave them behind on the last island.

Geoff, I can just imagine you guzzling duty free in the back of a limo heading up the F3 freeway. What an idea. :p

I thought of you when I was out shopping today. (yes I know, it's sad)They had some suits for sale at Reuben F Scarf in Westfield Kotara. You would love them. Bright red, fluro green, fluro blue. I am talking BRIGHT colours. :eek: :eek: I instantly thought of you. :p

Just the thing for your cruise, or the Sydney Christmas do. They had red shirts you could wear with the blue suit, think Knights fan. :p

Get yourself over there and try them on. :D

Don, I can get you a couple of chairs if you want. It would be simple. You could leave them behind on the last island.

Geoff, I can just imagine you guzzling duty free in the back of a limo heading up the F3 freeway. What an idea.

I thought of you when I was out shopping today. (yes I know, it's sad)They had some suits for sale at Reuben F Scarf in Westfield Kotara. You would love them. Bright red, fluro green, fluro blue. I am talking BRIGHT colours. :eek: I instantly thought of you.

Just the thing for your cruise, or the Sydney Christmas do. They had red shirts you could wear with the blue suit, think Knights fan. :p

Get yourself over there and try them on. :D

Too funny Jenny,

A guy I play cricket with is an assistant in a menswear shop in Maitland Mall. I joked about a neon pink one he had (also yellow, green, gold, silver), but that it wouldn't fit. He gave me a quick look over, and said it would fit me off the rack (it did).

Alas, the dull retro look of Eves Saint Safari' fits my lack of style. I have a fawn and a mint green one for my cruise (and maybe CC party), but thanks for thinking of me. :cool:

My mum gave me heaps for booking the Limo, and throwing money away. My response is that it is just an extra overtime shift to cover it, and I can stick it up the neighbours to boot! :cool:

Cheers

Geoff

They had some suits for sale at Reuben F Scarf in Westfield Kotara. You would love them. Bright red, fluro green, fluro blue. I am talking BRIGHT colours.

Reuben F Scarf has those suits in the window at Erina Fair also.

Cant even guess how many they may have sold:o

karen:)

Archived