Roll Calls - your solo thoughts?

kanigeta

My upcoming cruise is my 1st solo, although I have connections to a couple of couples that also booked. Those couples I already know don't participate in social activities beyond their own small party of known people, but I usually do when I've travelled with a partner. For instance, the Roll Call and any ensuing get-together. But everyone else is a couple. Have any of you experienced that and what are your thoughts about signing up then attending?

I sailed solo on the Maasdam this past April. I was very active on the roll call for my sailing. When we had our roll call meeting, it was great to place faces to the screen names. While there were some that I just met and only saw that day, there were others that we had tours together, went to ship fuctions,ate with,etc. In fact, another solo cruiser mentioned to me that it seem like everyone on the ship knew me.

It's a great way to meet people. With my cruise, the majority of the roll call were couples and families, but I still met alot of people.

My upcoming cruise is my 1st solo, although I have connections to a couple of couples that also booked. Those couples I already know don't participate in social activities beyond their own small party of known people, but I usually do when I've travelled with a partner. For instance, the Roll Call and any ensuing get-together. But everyone else is a couple. Have any of you experienced that and what are your thoughts about signing up then attending?

By all means, go. You'll see familiar faces the rest of your cruise and be glad you did. Folks will be there because they want to meet other people.

If you feel uneasy just walk out the door. What do you have to lose?

Don

I've participated in 3 roll calls, and am glad I did. It's just one more avenue for the solo or single traveler to make connections onboard.

Roz

Don't miss the Roll Calls! That is perhaps one of your best ways to meet some others (single or married) before you sail. A lot of valuable information is exchanged which you may find beneficial.

Best of luck.

I find roll calls are great for joining other people for independent excursions. On my last cruise to Tahiti, I met four great couples whom I joined on independent excursions. I also made arrangements to sit with one couple at dinner. On every cruise I've been on, I always get "adopted" by couples who include me in various activities. I love cruising solo - I can be as alone as I want to be or with as many people as I want to be with. You will meet some people who may feel sorry for you because you are travelling alone, and some who will whisper in your ear that they are jealous of your independence. I think cruising is by far the best way for solos to travel. I've been doing it for 10 years and will continue as long as I am able to.

Hi:) I agree with everyone else...definitely give it a chance.

I have participated in many roll calls. It really is a great way to

meet others on your sailing.

I still chat on one from a cruise I took 7 months ago (Dec 2006):)

There are other roll calls that have never said hello again after

the sailing and that is ok too.

Usually people are friendly. Will you become bossom buddies

with them? Not necessarily but you never know.

I look back on all of my sailings and there have only been

1 or 2 roll calls that were stale or slow. I know you can't

force folks to chat but overall most

are full of fun folks:D

Oh, as for being a solo cruiser.....that is what I am, and most

folks don't care one way or the other. If they do....well it is their

problem, not mine! Go and enjoy your cruise:)

Hi Vince! Hope you are doing well:)

I find roll calls are great for joining other people for independent excursions. On my last cruise to Tahiti, I met four great couples whom I joined on independent excursions. I also made arrangements to sit with one couple at dinner. On every cruise I've been on, I always get "adopted" by couples who include me in various activities. I love cruising solo - I can be as alone as I want to be or with as many people as I want to be with. You will meet some people who may feel sorry for you because you are travelling alone, and some who will whisper in your ear that they are jealous of your independence. I think cruising is by far the best way for solos to travel. I've been doing it for 10 years and will continue as long as I am able to.

Hi Dot, maybe one of these days our paths will cross on the high

seas:)

I can relate to your post, though I only "get adopted" if I choose

to;)...as for the gals who STILL say....."your sailing on your own...

how brave".....I say, "its 2007 and cruising solo is a piece of cake":D

Who knows, maybe they are jealous...actually who cares LOL

I do enjoy a fun dinner table though and if we are ever on

the same ship I would be happy to share one with you..along

with about 6 other fun folks:). For me, an 8 top is the best size!

Hi Lois, I loved your pictures. I also love to have my picture with good-looking guys. You can always show them off at the office and make up some great stories. ;) The nice thing about travelling solo is that should you ever make a fool of yourself, there will be no witnesses who will spread the story back at home. :D

Dot, thanks:) those guys are all either bartenders, wait staff,

cabin attendants:D ...oh maybe there are some pax there too;)

And usually they are more than happy to join me in the photo!

Fools? LOL....we have all had our embarrassing moments

(well, I have LOL)....but que sera, sera LOL

Oh wait, if you look at the Webshots....the very first Century Cruise

(I think)...I am sitting at the Bar at the Pool...and there is guy next

to me....(He has a beard).....that was the Captain of the ship!:)

That was fun...he was just strolling the deck!

I booked my recent AOS cruise just a month out, so I basically joined the roll call pretty late, something I don't think helped a lot. Once on board, I got to the Meet & Mingle about 15 minutes late, so pretty much missed out on the "meet" part. It's sort of more difficult to "meet" when everybody else is "mingling" already.

Now I have the Caribbean Princess coming up in September but, because I was more focused on the AOS first, I'm lagging there too - let's see how that works out.

I can see the roll calls as being something terrific IF done a bit ahead of time; but this also depends on your personality. I'm not a very socially outgoing person and that reflects in my posts as well. Thus I tend to post when I feel that I'm able to contribute a bit to the conversation (but wouldn't be caught dead congratulating a fellow poster on a roll call because yesterday their new dog did doo-doo on the lawn for the first time...).

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!!!

Hi Everyone..

Thanks for the enjoyable postings on solo cruising..I shared a cabin with another nurse on my last two cruises..We had a good time..quite enjoyable but we did little together..I view those cruises as my Solo Cruise 101 introduction course..Since joining CC in 2003 I have been active in each cruise's roll call..I have met some great people and had wonderful experiences..which has prepared me for my first solo cruise which is on the Emerald Princess..9/26/07 sailing..I guess when I 'stepped out' I went all the way as I will be spending two pre-cruise days in Barcelona and two post-cruise days in Venice..Our CC family is awesome as I've already hooked up with others for a pre-cruise tour and get-together along with shore tours at various ports..Bottom line...I will be sharing a cabin with myself but a whole lot of memories with awesome new friends thanks to Cruise Critic..

Carol

It has been great reading all of your comments. My husband and I enjoyed six cruises before his passing and for some reason I felt that my cruising days were over and I really miss it. It's been six years and I'm taking the plunge (bad choice of words :))! I finally booked my first solo cruise and I couldn't be happier. I've enjoyed roll call and I know I'll meet some very nice people. But, like you say, if you want to be alone you can be. Thanks for reinforcing my decision.

Janice

Janice..

Our circumstances are similar...My late husband and I shared 3 wonderful cruises before his passing two years ago..Like you, I felt my cruising days were over, when a friend who enjoys cruising but her husband doesn't...asked me share a cabin on a Med cruise...Wow..I jumped at the chance..We had a wonderful cruise but did little together..so..it was easy to make the decision to try cruising solo..I am so looking forward to my upcoming cruise..I trust your cruise will be as memorable..

Carol

My husband passed away 5 years ago. We had gone on many cruises together. I have gone on 6 cruises since I lost him. Some with friends and one totally solo. I am so glad that I didn't stop cruising.

I went on a caribbean cruise in February with two ladies that I met on my first solo cruise. Several of us from our CC Roll Call still stay in touch.

Have a great time.

WCC

Thanks for the encouraging words..I will admit to being somewhat hesitent to solo cruise but the more I read about other people's positive experiences..I'm glad I made the decision to solo..Better than sitting home wishing I had gone or waiting for someone to join me..

Carol

My first solo cruise after my hubbie died was a joke, it was supposed to be a singles group.. NOT~!!! I still had a great cruise.. Cause I am my own best friend!!

My second solo cruise Granduer.. was FABULOUS!! We all talked and talked on the Meet n Mingle board for so long before the cruise it felt like we were all old friends before we boarded. There were more of us who wanted to share a table at dinner than we had room for!!! It was a blast..

I will always sign up and chat with folks on the Meet n Great before a cruise!!

K

Archived