Should I choose a 4 day RCL Cruise?

We have always gone on 7 or 10 day cruises. We have been on Celebrity, Holland, Cunard and Princess. Liked them all. There are some great prices, though, on the 3 and 4 day RCL cruises this fall. I have been told by others that these cruises are usually filled with "party people" and that the ships are worn and tired from frequent uses.

Any truth to that?

This may not always be tru but most 4 days cruises are assigned to the older ships in the fllet. Just login use the new ships for the best trips. They tend to have a higher % of fun people and and certain % of people just out for there 1st time. Go and enjoy just don't compare our have any expectations. Part of the reason the 4 days are cheap is it's an enticement to hook you and get you on th elonger crusies.

Which ship are you looking at? Monarch, Sovereign, Majesty? That makes a big difference. The Majesty, for example, has just been through a major refurbishment.

I also think it makes a difference whether you choose, for example, a 3-day over a weekend or a 4-day mid-week. I just returned from the former, and it was definitely a floating frat party. :o But that was on the Monarch, which has the biggest "booze cruise" reputation of the three, whether deserved or undeserved. I've also sailed the Majesty and the Sovereign and found them far more family-friendly.

we did a four day but missed the frat party crowd by going during the week, and in the fall...it was a fun trip a spur of the moment decision, kind of like taking a weekend trip when what you really need is a vacation!

Better than working...same crews, same food, same activities on board!

Beverly

I just returned from the former' date=' and it was definitely a floating frat party. :o But that was on the Monarch, which has the biggest "booze cruise" reputation of the three, whether deserved or undeserved. I've also sailed the Majesty and the Sovereign and found them far more family-friendly.[/font']

We've been on all three Sovereign class ships and our Monarch cruise was by far the wildest cruise we've been on. I think Ensenada had something to do with this particular cruise. On more than one occasion, there were "Girls gone wild" moments. It all seemed to start while everyone was standing in line to get back on the ship and progressed from there. There was even a "guy gone wild" moment where we all got to see a full moon before it ever got dark.

Tim

Went on the Enchantment of the Seas in Jan out of Ft. Lauderdale. It was a Thurs-Mon. Most people were 35-60 ish and while i would not call it a "party" cruise, this bunch drank alot. But then again I think most people tend to drink more than they normally would when not on vacation when they don't have to drive. I think cruises tend to be like that. As long as people are not boisterous who cares, right? The Enchantment was refurbished and is a beautiful ship. I would not hesitate to go again. Going on the Majesty in 2008 as well.:)

We do a 4 day Monarch every year, usually in fall or winter(not during the holiday weeks)and have never run into the "frat party" problem. It's a great short get away cruise and the crew onboard is the best!

My experience sailing four-day Majesty cruises is that because that cruise leaves on Monday and returns on Friday the passengrs tend to be a pretty conservative bunch overall. I think that is because to cruise on those particular days you will lose a week of work. Hardcore partiers aren't so inclined to make a sacrifce such as that.

Another factor that helps is if you choose a cruise that sails in "off-seasons" when the partiers are more likely to be having college classes or are working. I've never sailed Majesty in the summer, for example, or over a major holiday or during spring break.

We've been on all three Sovereign class ships and our Monarch cruise was by far the wildest cruise we've been on. I think Ensenada had something to do with this particular cruise. On more than one occasion, there were "Girls gone wild" moments. It all seemed to start while everyone was standing in line to get back on the ship and progressed from there. There was even a "guy gone wild" moment where we all got to see a full moon before it ever got dark.

Tim

Tim, according to your signature your Monarch trip was in May 2005 ... by any chance, was it around Cinco de Mayo? That might have contributed a lot to a party scene onboard and/or in Ensenada.

We have always gone on 7 or 10 day cruises. We have been on Celebrity, Holland, Cunard and Princess. Liked them all. There are some great prices, though, on the 3 and 4 day RCL cruises this fall. I have been told by others that these cruises are usually filled with "party people" and that the ships are worn and tired from frequent uses.

Any truth to that?

We did a 3 day cruise last October on Majesty and it was definitely a different cruise experience from what we're used to. A much younger group of passengers and a lot of drinking going on. It didn't affect our cruise experience in a negative way at all. We had a great time.

Tim, according to your signature your Monarch trip was in May 2005 ... by any chance, was it around Cinco de Mayo? That might have contributed a lot to a party scene onboard and/or in Ensenada.
Never thought of that. It was a three day cruise that left LA Friday May 6. Not quit Cinco but pretty darn close.

The cruise was great (as they all are). The extracurricular activitiy was just extra entertainment.

Tim

We were on a 4-day Monarch cruise during my daughter's spring break in March 2006. It was definitely a younger crowd, but not too wild. I liked the additional ports of San Diego and Catalina Island on the 4-day, as Ensenada was my least favorite port.

However, when choosing a cruise for my son's spring break week next March (the week before Easter), I opted for the 7-day Adventure of the Seas out of San Juan rather than the 4-day Majesty out of Miami. I figured getting to SJ would be more of a hurdle for the average college student than getting to Miami. :)

Having only been on 7 day cruises previously (HAL, Celebrity, Norwegian, Costa), we recently were on the Sovereign for a 4 day cruise...wasn't sure that 4 days would be enough, but it was great. In fact, we will be doing it again in a few months...as you said, the price is great, and it makes cruising more often a real possibility.

We go on the 3 day Sovereign every year and would say definitley it is not a party boat. Just a good mixed crowd. There are more "Floridians" on this ship simply b/c of its easy access. But do not ever get the feeling of an over abundance of kids.

Went through refurb late 2004 or 2005 (can't remember). Yes, she is older, but we love her. Staff is incredible. Rooms are smaller and there are no safes in OV or IS rooms. But for a weekend getaway, it is wonderful. We leave in 4 weeks and are booking 2 more on her for next year.

Archived