Alaska Cruise Tours on Princess........ Tour First?

Jimbo

Is it possible to book the tour portion of the the Cruise Tour first and then the cruise portion second. If so could someone explain to me how to see that on the Princess.com site

Looking at dates for the Summer of 2005. Maybe I'm doing something wrong on their site and someone can lead me in the right direction. All I see is the cruise portions first.:confused:

Thanks

Jimbo

The Princess Site is really not that good.. Call 1-800-PRINCESS and ask them to mail you a copy of the 2005 Alaska Cruises and Cruisetours. It is hot off the press and will explain all of the different options you have..

Jimbo,

When you use the Plan Your Voyage feature on Princess, select Cruise Tour on the last drop down menu. The results should show you the various cruise tour packages available. Click on the date you want under the tour/cruise combination you want and the results will display the itinerary. There is also a sort by drop down that let's you sort by cruise tour first or by cruise first. Hope this helps.

After reading the suggestions on these boards, we decided to do the Kenai Wilderness first on 8/9/05 and then the southbound cruise on the Dawn on 8/15. We got most of our information as cactusrose recommended, from the Princess website under Plan Your Vacation - choose "Cruisetours." Another site that helped was the Princess lodges site at . There is information on all 5 lodges as well as the rail service.

Sue

Another important factor when looking at cruisetours. BE VERY VERY informed on WHAT you are purchasing. A lot of people just aren't. Ideally you need a 7 day add on. Otherwise more of the time is in transit, distances are vast. Educate yourself on the areas and determine what is of priority for you. A negative with Princess is the more likely Natural History tour in Denali Park- this is useless and only goes 16 miles into the Park- the Park Service offers a FREE shuttle to the same area. If you want to see wildlife get the Tundra Wilderness tour- 53 miles, but be aware that the park service has a shuttle system going the entire distance 90 miles. My min. distance in is Eielson mile 66. If you include the McKinley Lodge- it is out in the middle of nowhere, with few activities. You are 50 miles from the neareat town, Talkeetna and 100 miles from the National Park Entrance. Excellent flightseeing options out of Talkeetna. The Kenai Princess is for those with a fishing interest. Little else, again if you want other activities you are 40 miles away from Seward which is LOADED with great tours, but if looking at those- stay there. No meals are included unless mentioned on the land portion. Budget 50% more than at home to allow a cushion.

Good advice there, Budget Queen. Personally, we loved the McKinley lodge for the simple reason that it gave us a chance to just kick back and do nothing while others went on their excursions. It was like staying on the ship while everyone goes into a port.

I agree that taking the land tour first then cruising is the preferred way to go. If I could manage the time and cost, I'd cruise north, tour on my own, then cruise back south. I can dream, can't I? :)

This IS my dream too. As soon as I win that lottery, i will book the 2 cruises with a couple weeks (or a month!!!) in between for touring on our own! After all, money will be no object! :D

Even if I don't win I have truly considered doing that someday if I can save up enough. BQ - have you done that?

Julie

Archived