$2 bill demand ~ Did Cruise Critic cause this?

I have heard rumored that the 'exotic dancer' industry has pushed for their usage...given that a g-string can only hold so many bills, a woman (or man for that matter) could make a 100% increase in income...

David:D

Interesting, particularly since one of the reasons for their lack of popularity back when they were first produced, was that one of the main uses was that $2 was the going rate for procuring the favors of a lady of the evening. Another one was for betting. This caused people to not want to be showing them around for fear it would hurt their reputation.

Another reason for increased circulation of $2 bills might be foreign tourism.

We were in Honolulu a few months back, and I was shocked to see a Japanese visitor paying a store clerk with a big wad of new $2 bills. I'm guessing that since the 2E coin is widely used in Europe (and possibly a 200 Y note/coin in Japan?), that foreign tourists and their TAs just assume that $2 bills are common, and order them for money exchanges before they leave their home countries. What a shock in must be when they try to use one in MickeyDs, and the clerk doesn't know what it is!

Another reason for increased circulation of $2 bills might be foreign tourism.

We were in Honolulu a few months back, and I was shocked to see a Japanese visitor paying a store clerk with a big wad of new $2 bills. I'm guessing that since the 2E coin is widely used in Europe (and possibly a 200 Y note/coin in Japan?), that foreign tourists and their TAs just assume that $2 bills are common, and order them for money exchanges before they leave their home countries. What a shock in must be when they try to use one in MickeyDs, and the clerk doesn't know what it is!

That is definitely a sad scenario....haven't decided if this cruise I will again go for $2bills for room service tips...did so before and it was received perfectly well...

Yep - I bring along about $200 in $2 bills for bar, room service & other tips and usually they are accepted without comment - sometimes with 'Oh, this is special, I'll keep it' and every once in awhile, a sour look - but taken and put in their pocket!

And on a recent cruise, I was simply known as '2 buck chuck' everywhere I went - all of the crew were looking for their $2 bill from me!! All good fun!!! :D

Archived