How do you like 4 dining times?

localady

How do you like 4 dining times????  

305 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like 4 dining times????

• Love the new dining times, keep them!
    • Wish we could go back to 2 traditional dining times!
    • Wish we could go to "freestyle" dining!
    • Doesn't matter when we eat, as long as the food is good!

When we travel with others, we don't mind dawdling over dinner because we're visiting, catching up on news, etc. But when it's just the two of us, we're anxious to eat our meal and move on to other activities.

--R&K

[quote name='HeatherInFlorida'][font=Comic Sans MS]I'm just wondering what you all consider "slow service". Maybe we're weird, but we've always enjoyed dawdling over dinner. We sit, we eat, we talk ... I find it one of the best parts of the cruise. We go to the 8:15 or 8:30 (depending on the cruiseline) and often don't leave the table until 10:15. But we never felt it was the service that was slow; it was us:D .[/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]Are we unusual?:confused: [/font][/QUOTE]
You're not weird...I'm with you! We always take the later seating and I like the fact that I have 2 choices even for late now. I hate being rushed through each course. If I make the show great, if not, oh well. I don't want to be on a time schedule when I'm on vacation. Geez I do that at home. We always tell our waiter on the first night, no need to rush us, we like each course to be on a nice easy timed pace. I hate when they bring out 2 courses at the same time.

Speaking of courses...Question...does HAL do a cheese course?

[quote name='taszmom']Speaking of courses...Question...does HAL do a cheese course?[/QUOTE]
THe cheese plate is normally listed on the dessert menu, but I almost always treat it as a seperate course. The assortment will change just about every evening, but the crackers can be a bit mundane. I always request a bread basket with my cheese plate.

Don't confuse this with the cheese plate on the room service menu, which (I think) is intended for someone with a queasy tummy. If calling room serice, order the [i]dessert[/i] cheese plate (and bread, of course).

[quote name='dakrewser']THe cheese plate is normally listed on the dessert menu, but I almost always treat it as a seperate course. The assortment will change just about every evening, but the crackers can be a bit mundane. I always request a bread basket with my cheese plate.

Don't confuse this with the cheese plate on the room service menu, which (I think) is intended for someone with a queasy tummy. If calling room serice, order the [i]dessert[/i] cheese plate (and bread, of course).[/QUOTE]
[font=Comic Sans MS]I have never ordered the cheese plate and would love to, but I don't want to miss dessert! ;) So do you order it between the entree and dessert? And does that hold up dessert for everyone? Or do you simply get it all at once?[/font]

[quote name='HeatherInFlorida'][font=Comic Sans MS]I have never ordered the cheese plate and would love to, but I don't want to miss dessert! ;) So do you order it between the entree and dessert? And does that hold up dessert for everyone? Or do you simply get it all at once?[/font][/QUOTE]
One of the major benefits of a table for two is that my wife and I do tend to eat at the same pace. On nights I would have both the cheese and the dessert, I'd order the cheese first to be followed by dessert. We'd share the cheese while finishing our wine and waiting for dessert. But other nights I'll have either one or the other. Just as some nights I'll have soup and salad, some nights only one and some nights neither (but maybe 2 appetizers). It does seem complicated to explain, but in practice it seems to work out OK. :)

[quote name='HeatherInFlorida']Aaaaaah.....I seeeee! Okay. But I have to tell you I think it's a shame you don't share your amusing, yet intelligent, banter with more people at your table! Not that I don't understand that you enjoy it; it's simply our loss:o .[/QUOTE]
Catch me in the Crow's Nest before diner, then :)

[quote name='dakrewser']Catch me in the Crow's Nest before diner, then :)[/QUOTE]
[font=Comic Sans MS]Hehehe. Well, we just might do that!:D However, it will mean we have to hide away on the Oosterdam from mid November until you embark in January;) . Sounds good to me and thanks for the invite![/font]

• 4 weeks later...
We found 5:45 to be a bit early. Some nights, we felt a little rushed when dressing for dinner -- the extra half hour would have made a difference -- plus it was too close to the afternoon tea I enjoyed so much. :) Fortunately, being on the upper level of the dining room gave us wonderful sunset views during dinner, so no major complaints.

Regarding the cheese plate -- I ordered it for dessert nearly every night. Each plate contained 3 or 4 varieties, and they changed nightly. The varieties that would be served that evening were shown on the menu, unlike most other lines I've been on.

There were many empty tables at 8:30 on this last trip (June 6-July 10) on the Rotterdam. The salads suffered as was mentioned, and food was just not as good; I don't really know if the time was the primary reason for the poor showing and presentation of the meals, but
I agree, 8:30 is too late, and I prefer the 2 seatings.
GN

I also hate the new dinning times...I have had them all. (The only one I really liked was the 8pm seating.....However, not everyone can be booked at the same time!!!) If memory serves.....don't you still only have the choice of early or late when booking. So 545p - 630p or 8pm - 830pm is the luck of the draw?

[quote name='Searanger']I also hate the new dinning times...I have had them all. (The only one I really liked was the 8pm seating.....However, not everyone can be booked at the same time!!!) If memory serves.....don't you still only have the choice of early or late when booking. So 545p - 630p or 8pm - 830pm is the luck of the draw?[/QUOTE]
I believe if you are using a TA they can specify exactly which one you want if you book early. We have been fortuate so far to get what we requested and also table location.

I have never sailed with HAL before, going in November on the Zuiderdam. My TA put us in the 8:00 seating, I emailed HAL asked if they would change our dinner time to 8:30. They gladly did this. I think that the 4 choices for eating times are great. We typically eat late so this is right up our alley. I just hope that it does not push us to to eat quickly just so that we can make the shows. Or, do they have the shows prior to dinner for the late seating? :o

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=royalblue]Perry, "main, upper" has been at 8:00; Alaska times might have been a few minutes earlier. There was an indication in a recent post that upper and lower dining times might be switched. Lower has been 8:30. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=royalblue][/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=royalblue]cmccauley, typically, there are two evening shows--- the later being at 10:30. Unless you are at an unusually slow table there should be time to get there on time. [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=royalblue]Once in a while the show will be held before dinner---if there is a special event later on (like the Black & White Ball) the change in show time will be in the daily program, and announced shortly before the show. [/color][/size][/font]

Guest Celestia
How do I like four dining times?

Liked them fine on recent Circle Hawaii on the Statendam, because we got Upper Dining Room. *Hate* lower dining room as it is cramped and tables too close together (this and the slow service/cold cooked food made us skip all breakfasts there after the first one, and they *will not* seat you alone and we really are not morning people and don't want to make conversation at breakfast).

My companion insists on Early Seating and 6:15 Upper Early was fine. I personally would prefer Main Seating but I'm willing for Early as long as it's not before 6pm. Anything earlier and I'm rushing round the cabin trying to get cleaned up for dinner as it is my usual preference to shower before dinner especially if I've been into port or on the weather decks. He's ready to dress for dinner the minute bridge ends at 4:00 then head upstairs to the lounge straightaway but that is too early for me.

As for freestyle dining I'll never go on another cruise with it, detested every aspect of it completely.

FW&FS,

C

[quote name='Celestia']*Hate* lower dining room as it is cramped and tables too close together (this and the slow service/cold cooked food made us skip all breakfasts there after the first one, and they *will not* seat you alone and we really are not morning people and don't want to make conversation at breakfast).[/QUOTE]
Fascinating, as a couple of other cruisers (on different HAL ships) reported that even though they wished to be seated with other for breakfast & lunch, they were consistently seated alone. It must be a "personal preference" of each individual maitre'd!

• 3 months later...
I chose 8 pm on my Zaandam cruise last December. A big consideration for me was getting a seat for the late show in the Lounge. I read posts here where people said they couldn't find a seat in the show lounge if they had the 8:30 pm dinner seating.

I attended all but 1 of the shows, and I had my pick of seats. It was kind of strange, since there was a wide range of ages on the ship. The only thing I can think of is that we had a convention group onboard, and I think maybe they had events in the evening, so they weren't in the lounge.

I could live with 6:15, but 5:45 would be way too early for me. That's one of the reasons the ice cream bar was invented...to tide over the late diners.

Roz

Last year we had the 8:30 sitting for dinner (downstairs). I would prefer they go back to the traditional 2 sittings for dinner.

It was particularly disruptive on the night the Baked Alaska was served. Just as our main entree was being served, the lights dimmed and the festivities for the Baked Alaska Parade began. Of course even our waiters had to join the parade so there was no further waiter assistance for us. You hated to eat and ignore the festive atmosphere, yet your main course was getting cold.

Then our Baked Alaska was delivered to the Waiter's area for us and, by time we finished our main course, it was melted and useless to try to eat. Really spoiled a nice dessert.

I understand there is no other way to do it as the music and celebration can be heard downstairs as well.

And I do agree with another poster -- it interfers with pre-dinner drinks and dancing and the 8:30 diners get the left-over seats in the theatre.

we have only sailed on Zaandam. but all 3 times have had the same dining times. I didn't know of any change. The first time was 8 pm and I really didn't like it that well. Last 2 times have been the 6:15 lower seating which to us works perfect. I like to eat then go to all the shows.:D full belly then:rolleyes:

Archived