Nordam Dress Codes

fivegirl

I am getting confused - on a 10 day Noordam Caribbean cruise with there be 2 or 3 formal nights? Also, are the other nights all dressy casual, or are there "informal" nights (jacket and tie) as well? Thanks!

I am getting confused - on a 10 day Noordam Caribbean cruise with there be 2 or 3 formal nights? Also, are the other nights all dressy casual, or are there "informal" nights (jacket and tie) as well? Thanks!

A ten-dayer generally has three formal nights. Under HAL's new policy, the remainder wil be Smart Casual (slacks, sport shirt, sweater for the boys; skirt or trousers, sweater and/or blouse for the girls

As a rule of thumb, HAL usually has two formal nights per week. On our 14 day Southern Caribbean cruise April 2006, we had four formal nights.

On the Casual nights, per the Noordam question.....gents should not feel like they cannot wear a blazer or sport jacket if they wish. No one will make them remove it. ;)

............On the Casual nights, per the Noordam question.....gents should not feel like they cannot wear a blazer or sport jacket if they wish. No one will make them remove it. ;)

;)

Don't be so sure, those narly Bali Policemen might be on duty!;)

On the Casual nights, per the Noordam question.....gents should not feel like they cannot wear a blazer or sport jacket if they wish. No one will make them remove it. ;)

Well ... one would hope that no one will. What should happen, and what might actually happen, can sometimes vary. Several years ago aboard the Statendam, on a Informal Night, I was approached by a fellow passenger and was told, in no-uncertain terms, that I was "overdressed" because I was in a suit and tie. "Young man, the code says jacket, not suit, and you're wearing a tie when you don't have to."

I thanked him, while also asserting that I was both dressed within the code and as made me comfortable. He promptly "humphed" and said "So, you're trying to make the rest of us look poorly?" My reply was something like, "No, sir, you're doing a pretty good job of that on your own." He scowled and walked off while mumbling epithets laced with scornful adjectives like "stuffed shirt" and "arrogant young pr%@k."

Perhaps THAT will illustrate why I take the position I do on these dress code issues? It's not always those of us who like to dress up who can be (unfortunately) sometimes rude about how others dress. The judgments CAN go the other way, too.

was told, in no-uncertain terms, that I was "overdressed" because I was in a suit and tie.
If you were in a tuxedo or white dinner jacket I certainly would have wondered why, but I would never have had the brass to even ask you about it, never mind confront you on it!!!

Well, maybe if you were at my table I would have politely asked, I guess.

If you were in a tuxedo or white dinner jacket I certainly would have wondered why, but I would never have had the brass to even ask you about it, never mind confront you on it!!!

Well, maybe if you were at my table I would have politely asked, I guess.

I wouldn't mind that at all. I normally wear a Tuxedo or black suit and formal clerics on Formal Night. I wish HAL would have more Formal Nights than they do, but since they don't I used to enjoy converting my Informal Nights into a slightly more dressy affair. I didn't wear a Tuxedo, but since the code allowed for a suit and tie I wore that (or, if serving as Chaplain, a suit and clerics). That was my way of making up for not having more Formal Nights by dressing up my Informal Nights a bit. :)

On Casual nights I will dress in slacks (dockers or nicer), casual shirt (silk print, knit, or button down), and (often) a jacket.

It boggles my mind, how people are. You go on a delightful cruise, & you get criticized for wearing a jacket on an informal night??? What's wrong with people? Sometimes I'm totally puzzled.

Thanks, Lynne. Actually, aboard the ship I was criticized for wearing a suit and tie on an informal night. It think it was the tie that annoyed the guy, actually. He might not have noticed, otherwise. Some people seemed to think that the informal codes: "tie optional" actually meant "tie not allowed."

The criticism that hit me on this thread, however, had absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand. It was just a "side-swipe" or a "drive by shooting." I've grown accustomed to it, and have learned to pretty much ignore it.

.............It was just a "side-swipe" or a "drive by shooting." I've grown accustomed to it, and have learned to pretty much ignore it.

There is a difference between a "side swipe" and a "drive-by shooting" but you knew that already! IMHO, "side swipe" fits better with "bombastic";)

There is a difference between a "side swipe" and a "drive-by shooting" but you knew that already! IMHO, "side swipe" fits better with "bombastic";)

LOL ...

It might fit better with "bombastic" ... but sometimes it feels like getting shot. Repeatedly.

I've not resorted to it yet.

Hugs & support from Delaware. If I had rolled bandages, I'd send them to you. ;) Or, should I ask my 4 brothers-in-law (all cops) for a bullet-proof vest for you?

Instead, I'll just continue to tell folks how wonderful you truly are. :)

Hugs & support from Delaware. If I had rolled bandages, I'd send them to you. ;) Or, should I ask my 4 brothers-in-law (all cops) for a bullet-proof vest for you?

Instead, I'll just continue to tell folks how wonderful you truly are. :)

Thank you so much, Susan. :D

The more I think about it, the more sense that button makes. :)

Archived