jamaica DANGEROUS?

misstee7

Oh...I think I get your point now. Since we have a lot of violence in the United States we shouldn't care about being in danger when traveling since we are probably use to it.

I think that is "poppycock".

No that still wasn't the point. Anyway, shush, we're all friends now.

Do you know, I've no idea at all what poppycock is? Smashing word though, isn't it?

:)

If problems exist in Jamaica as stated, perhaps the cruise industry should just cross it off their collective itineraries for awhile. The economic impact that would have would probably cause government to crack down on the crime. Years and years ago I cruised on HAL and we stopped in Nassau. Supposedly it was one of the first cruise ship stops for quite awhile. Crime had gotten out of hand so the ships just stopped dropping in. Didn't take long for the problem to be fixed.

For a moment, I thought this post was about San Francisco! /Sultan

(Underline added)

We were in MoBay in 2006. We felt safe on our tour, but heading back to the ship is a different story. DH was offered drugs, women and little boys!:eek: I guess this could happen anywhere, but for us, it happened in Jamaica. Not real sure that I care if we go back, but I definitely would not explore on my own!

The "inclusive" resorts are safest because the entrances and grounds are guarded by paid "bouncers" armed with Kalishnikoff AK-47's. :eek: The thought of being "locked" into a resort area with potential hostle locals wating to roll you on the outside is something that doesn't quite appeal me.

absolute bullsh....t

the security guards do not carry any weapons at any resort in Jamaica. Where do you all get your misinformation???

POLICE

The Jamaican flying squad, which is similar to SWAT, carries M-16's ,. similiar to the SWAT.

Sometimes in the city areas, you will see...policemen with guns. I know Americans never see such things at home.

The security guards at the resorts in Jamaica are there to keep unauthorized people from sneaking in to enjoy free food and drink without paying. Also to do all the other things that security guards for ANY HOTEL DO.

You are mixing up your Islands....It is the Dominican Republic where they carry the guns to guard the resorts

For those going...like everyone said, check the Jamaica boards for the best tours

If problems exist in Jamaica as stated, perhaps the cruise industry should just cross it off their collective itineraries for awhile. The economic impact that would have would probably cause government to crack down on the crime. Years and years ago I cruised on HAL and we stopped in Nassau. Supposedly it was one of the first cruise ship stops for quite awhile. Crime had gotten out of hand so the ships just stopped dropping in. Didn't take long for the problem to be fixed.

The problems in Nassau have not been fixed, believe me. I do have to say, unfortunately, most of the police in the islands are "corrupt" in some way, much Baksheesh (bribes). The government in Jamaica has tried to curb the crime and the hassling of the tourists. They even made it a crime payable of a $2,5000 fine:eek: I say how would they ever be able to pay the fine:rolleyes:

ALL of the islands have crime and being that Jamaica is so large and so visited it is reported there more. Go to the Dominican Republic and you will see men guarding the stores....gas stations...etc. with machine guns. You just have to be careful wherever you go.

To have the cruise ships pull out would only cause more hardship for the country, so I believe it would be a Catch 22 in that situation.

I totally agree with this.

I agree. That's why most Europeans won't go to the States. Terrible, backward place, so violent. I'd leave now if I were you.

I grew up in New York, nothing would surprise me. However, my husband was from Edinburgh Scotland, and all of his relatives love the states. They would come and stay for months!!

Karen

I agree. That's why most Europeans won't go to the States. Terrible, backward place, so violent. I'd leave now if I were you.

I grew up in New York, nothing would surprise me. However, my husband was from Edinburgh Scotland, and all of his relatives love the states. They would come and stay for months!!

Karen

Yes, but you live in PA.:D Just don`t go NEAR Philadelphia:eek: :D

"They even made it a crime payable of a $2,5000 fine I say how would they ever be able to pay the fine"

Seahorse, the fine isn't so bad if it's Jamaican dollars, about $37.00 US :). If it is $2500.00 US then it's pretty steep as there are not many in Jamaica who could afford a fine like this. :eek:

"They even made it a crime payable of a $2,5000 fine I say how would they ever be able to pay the fine"

Seahorse, the fine isn't so bad if it's Jamaican dollars, about $37.00 US :). If it is $2500.00 US then it's pretty steep as there are not many in Jamaica who could afford a fine like this. :eek:

I believe that it was in US, or there would not be much of an incentive, I could be wrong......but don`t tell my DH;)

Oh, BTW Bob, I just read where a Welsh Tourist was knifed to death in Toronto. So I guess that nixes all of Canada for tourism:rolleyes:

Ann, why the shot at me? I am a big fan of Jamaica, been there 8x on land vacations and one visit on a cruise ship...it's a great island.

I haven't said anything on this board about crime anywhere so why the shot at me??? I'm a little confused....

Ann, why the shot at me? I am a big fan of Jamaica, been there 8x on land vacations and one visit on a cruise ship...it's a great island.

I haven't said anything on this board about crime anywhere so why the shot at me??? I'm a little confused....

No shot:eek: I was being sarcastic (I have a PHD, ya know in sarcasm:D ) I was taking a shot at the statements about the US being a crime ridden country and to be afraid........very afraid;) Oh Jamaica too:rolleyes:

Can someone tell me what Negril and Margaritaville are like now? When in Margarativille in Negril, are you "safe" from the hagglers, or do they roam within?

I appreciate all comments ~ right now we are on a ship's excursion to Negril and Margaritaville, but that may change ~~ any info is welcome!

Can someone tell me what Negril and Margaritaville are like now? When in Margarativille in Negril, are you "safe" from the hagglers, or do they roam within?

I appreciate all comments ~ right now we are on a ship's excursion to Negril and Margaritaville, but that may change ~~ any info is welcome!

Negril is very laid back and Margaritaville is on the beach and is open to the public. I don`t understand what you mean by "hagglers":confused: Do you mean the merchants that are trying to make a living?

Negril is very laid back and Margaritaville is on the beach and is open to the public.

Are these people or places? If the former, I may be heading your way...........

:D

Oh Oh..........do we have a Randy Scot as well as a Happy Scot:D

Ship's excursion to Negril??? From where, MoBay?? With the new highway, it is about an hours drive to Negril.

Margaritaville is within, no Higglers. They dont want anyone cutting in on their $$$

A higgler is the people that walk around selling you everything from beads to braids, as well as fresh fruits, coconut water (jelly).

Adrug dealer deals.......not a higgler

The best place to avoid higglers and others is to go hang out on any of the bar/hotels on the west end. Basically they are all cut into the ironshore cliffs (XTABI is one). You are fair game on the beach in Negril and will be approached a lot, but mostly by nice people where No is sufficient.

I should really know better than to reply, but in ANY country, people do bad things with guns. Guns are not inherently bad. I bet you could sit one on the coffee table for 10 years and as long as no one picked it up it wouldn't shoot a single thing.

I should really know better than to reply, but in ANY country, people do bad things with guns. Guns are not inherently bad. I bet you could sit one on the coffee table for 10 years and as long as no one picked it up it wouldn't shoot a single thing.

:D Guns are OK, it's just those darn bullets.... :D

And not a word from anyone about the crimes committed on cruise ships. I will just live with it.

Karen

Perhaps, the reason why there was no mention of 'crimes on cruise ships.' Is that the title of this thread is "Jamacia Dangerous?''

I think we are all aware (Or should be.) that crime's are committed on cruise ships, as well as any place where humans live, inhabit, or exist. ;)

May be if you would like to discuss crimes committed on cruise ships, you should start a thread with that title on it. This way people wouldn't have to 'hijack' an existing thread to talk about that subject. :)

Archived