jamaica DANGEROUS?

misstee7

With a lot of the AI'S, you can pre-reserve with the Sales departments and insure your day pass will be there. When we fill up, we limit the amount of day passes, but honor pre-reserved reservations.

I had forgotten about Jamaica Grande, that is a nice price and about $$ cheaper than some of the other ones!! Beach is a little small but pool area is nice.

That is a decent price and you can walk there and it is so close you do not have to worry about getting back to the ship in time:) I too like the pool area.

People do go on tours that spend a week in Jamaica, all the time:) They see more then most of the cruise ship passengers. If they decide to stay on the resort they are meeting the people (their greatest asset BTW) eating the food, drinking the local drinks:D

The people we are discussing were described as having left the resort once to go to Margaritaville. There is *nothing* wrong with this if that's the vacation you want. But, this is better described as "going to Jamaica" than "seeing Jamaica."

:D It is not half price (wish it were) We do not have to pay your hefty whisky tax here but you get to enjoy what the distilleries keep for themselves. BTW I only like single malt and in the winter the liquid gold from Islay:D

I'm a Speyside man myself. But then my forebears were from Angus, so it's probably genetic. Mind you, I won't turn down any version of uisge beatha if someone else is picking up the tab.

Jamaica is one of those places I really want to love. The countryside is beautiful. And like most countries we have visited, even the US, once you get away from the bigger cities, the true nature of the land and people is more easily revealed.

once you get away from the bigger cities, the true nature of the land and people is more easily revealed.

Totally agree. I think one of the secrets to maximizing a cruise (ie: seeing vs visiting) is getting out of the port city. Even better if you can do it on a private tour that you arranged in advance with a local guide to see a specific set of things you have researched for yourself. This is especially true in Jamaica.

In some islands (not Jamaica), we have really enjoyed locals busses and cabs. (Bonus: It costs about 2% of the price of a tourist cab.) We don't rent cars or scooters, but for some people, that works well, too.

Really....get out of town.

with the hurricane due to hit this weekend in Jamaica maybe some of the things tourists get upset about will be washed away. Remember there was a communist government not too many years ago and great neglect and a mass exodus by business people, medical and dental doctors and much of the middle class.

With a lot of the AI'S, you can pre-reserve with the Sales departments and insure your day pass will be there. When we fill up, we limit the amount of day passes, but honor pre-reserved reservations.

I had forgotten about Jamaica Grande, that is a nice price and about $$ cheaper than some of the other ones!! Beach is a little small but pool area is nice.

Thanks! That is good advice. I'll see if I an actually pre-reserve for February! What resort are you at? I've never been to Curacao:D

We did a private tour to Dunn's falls last December. At the end, we got dropped off in town and walked back to the ship. But we were careful. Would we do it again? Yes-because there were lots of people around. Would we to to an all inclusive/resort in Jamaica...absolutely not. We like to walk the beach and it is NOT safe. We are feeling this way about parts of Mexico. Crime is one of the issues, how the authorities deal with it, especially in Mexico, is another one. Jamaica and Mexico all inclusives are off our list now, we have replaced them with Cuba. I have to add that I have stayed in a number of American cities, where on trying to leave the hotel for a walk after dinner, was strongly advised by staff NOT to leave the hotel because of personal safety issues. Crime is always lurking around the corner-you have to keep you wits about you.

We did a private tour to Dunn's falls last December. At the end, we got dropped off in town and walked back to the ship. But we were careful. Would we do it again? Yes-because there were lots of people around. Would we to to an all inclusive/resort in Jamaica...absolutely not. We like to walk the beach and it is NOT safe. We are feeling this way about parts of Mexico. Crime is one of the issues, how the authorities deal with it, especially in Mexico, is another one. Jamaica and Mexico all inclusives are off our list now, we have replaced them with Cuba. I have to add that I have stayed in a number of American cities, where on trying to leave the hotel for a walk after dinner, was strongly advised by staff NOT to leave the hotel because of personal safety issues. Crime is always lurking around the corner-you have to keep you wits about you.

:cool:

What in god's name are you talking about????

WOW this is about one of the most paranoid posts that I have ever seen.......poor dear:rolleyes:

How far is the walk from the pier? Do you prepay for reservations? This sounds like a lovely place for a great beach day.

Thank you for info.:)

If you don`t have small children, well, unless they are in a stroller, it is about a 10 or a 15 min walk. But then again, I guess it all depends on how fast you walk:D It is not bad, really, and you can window shop along the way.

WOW this is about one of the most paranoid posts that I have ever seen.......poor dear:rolleyes:

I dont see anything paranoid about it. The poster has a right to his opinion, this is a discussion board. His post is on topic, and his opinion shared by others here. Obviously from all your previous posts, you have an ax to grind here.

I dont see anything paranoid about it. The poster has a right to his opinion, this is a discussion board. His post is on topic, and his opinion shared by others here. Obviously from all your previous posts, you have an ax to grind here.

No ax here:) Just trying to keep things in perspective. Bad things can happen anywhere, so I guess it will be safest to stay home:)

Do I have a right to my opinion:confused:

I think the poster is providing a service in reminding jpeople to be cautious and to think about their surrondings. I have been to Cozmul three times in the last four years and Cancun twice and Ocho Rios last year for the first time. I live 40 miles from the Mexican Border and go there but not regularly. You must be careful wherever you go. I have walked into residential area and the only one I really felt saft in exploring is Coz.

I do not go to the mainland of Mexica anymore because of their politics and the problem with the truff battles of drug cartels. Innocent people are getting hurt in these wars, even in the tourist areas.

So I don't think the poster is too paranoid, just doing the things they think will keep them safe.

No ax here:) Just trying to keep things in perspective. Bad things can happen anywhere, so I guess it will be safest to stay home:)

Do I have a right to my opinion:confused:

Of course you have a right to your opinion, as does everyone. But I think it unfair of you to call the other poster paranoid. We all have read the posts on Jamaica, and know the things that have taken place there. I was definitely not at ease there, say as I was on Princess Cays, or on Grand Cayman, or St. Martin. I know crime happens everywhere, but I would not call anyone paranoid for feeling less than comfortable in Jamaica. That is my opinion only, we are all entitled to that.

Karen

Of course you have a right to your opinion, as does everyone. But I think it unfair of you to call the other poster paranoid. We all have read the posts on Jamaica, and know the things that have taken place there. I was definitely not at ease there, say as I was on Princess Cays, or on Grand Cayman, or St. Martin. I know crime happens everywhere, but I would not call anyone paranoid for feeling less than comfortable in Jamaica. That is my opinion only, we are all entitled to that.

Karen

Of course you have to be careful, but to cross entire places of your list, to me, is limiting yourself in life. I would never have experienced all of the wonderful sites and people in this world if I were fearful.

I am not a fearful person, so I guess it is difficult for me to understand:) I am a careful one tho;)

I have clients that will not go on a cruise ship because of all the negative occurrences.

Of course you have to be careful, but to cross entire places of your list, to me, is limiting yourself in life. I would never have experienced all of the wonderful sites and people in this world if I were fearful.

I am not a fearful person, so I guess it is difficult for me to understand:) I am a careful one tho;)

I have clients that will not go on a cruise ship because of all the negative occurrences.

I do agree, I am not a fearful person either. But I did go to Jamaica, felt uncomfortable while there, and also felt a bit ripped off. (The ladies in charge of the "sale"table at our ships excursion had no change for any bill you gave them, and it never appeared either. Just left a bad taste in my mouth) I have no desire to ever go again. Whats not to understand?

For the record, I have walked all over Cozumel (which is really just one town). I even rented an apartment in a local neighborhood with my daughter (a teen).

Just came back from a fifth trip there and walked back at night from restaurants to my hotel.

Coz is really nice once the cruiseships have left.

It's as safe as anywhere taking the usual precautions.

Well,l I think we can all agree that Jamaica is pretty darn dangerous today. Those poor people. As if life there was not difficult enough.

I just wouldn't advise it....much as I would not get off in Acapulco. Not only the civil unrest, but have seen muggings and thefts within a stones throw of the disembarkation ramp of the ship. Sometimes in the poorer areas, people are just ruthless. Why bother ruining your vacation over something like this. The ship has such wonderful immenities while in port....some even discounted. yes!! Plus, no fighting for that perfect spot by the pool or in the dining room. What could be better.

Archived