jamaica DANGEROUS?

misstee7

I guess a bit of common sense when visiting the islands stands for everywhere. Leave your diamonds, gold and other flashy jewlery in the safe. Is it necessary to carry so many cameras around your neck - no matter where we go in the world - caution should be utmost on our minds. I am still not sure if I will venture off the ship in MoBay, but I will not make myself a target either. I am sure this topic will go on and on. Everyone out there has their own opinion, we are not all right nor all wrong.

Of course, it is everyone's personal choice as to whether to venture off the boat.

If we can get back to the name of the thread,"Is Jamaica Dangerous", there is evidence (ie Canadian advisory, the newspaper article BY THE JAMAICAN press that I cut and pasted on this thread.) that this is so.

Question asked and answered. I did learn a lot from this thread.

In terms of crime in NY which is irrelevant to this thread, today I would go anywhere in Manhattan, even Harlem. Years ago I would not have even driven my car there at night, but I do today.

Pardon me for the correction, but we were there last month. The "Bamboo Beach Club" is a glorified name for a dumpy little beach, but they definitely had barbed wire fence surrounding the property. I cannot attest to armed guards.

There is no relevant comparison here as the Bamboo Beach Club is not an All Inclusive Resort Hotel along the lines of Sandals & Couples etc.. It is merely a daytime tourist attraction predominently for those arriving from cruise ships.

OK - Jamaica is not as safe as other islands... But it shouldn't be avoided as a destination except by the very security conscious; by those that appreciate that the first two words of our Second Amendment (Right to Bear Arms) are "well regulated".

Jamaica's crime problem isn't likely tourist related, it's connected to being a major source of raw materials (bauxite) to North America's largest economy. When that happens, security implodes murder rates explode... Example: Halliburton moved into Iraq, look what happened to security and murder rates...

What say you 'Happyscot'?

OK - Jamaica is not as safe as other islands... But it shouldn't be avoided as a destination except by the very security conscious; by those that appreciate that the first two words of our Second Amendment (Right to Bear Arms) are "well regulated".

Jamaica's crime problem isn't likely tourist related, it's connected to being a major source of raw materials (bauxite) to North America's largest economy. When that happens, security implodes murder rates explode... Example: Halliburton moved into Iraq, look what happened to security and murder rates...

I'll let Happyscot reply for himself but he may, or may not be familiar with our Constitution and our Bill of Rights. Actually the first two words of the Second Amendment read "A well" which is certainly something Halliburton would be familiar with.

I've kind of ducked out of this one, and will admit the place seems a trifle more excitable than I thought. I hate it when fellow cc-ers spoil a good argument with facts. I got a little heated at yet another thread where a few Americans are sniffy and condescending about other countries when the problems under discussion are pretty bad in their own country. Other examples are foreign doctors, foreign food, foreign poverty, etc etc - anything foreign, really. It was announced this week, for example, that the US has the 42nd highest life expectancy in the world, so if you stayed in 41 of the countries you visit and which sometimes, some of you, are snotty about, you would be around longer than if you went home.................... (Not quite perhaps, MacD will already be killing you slowly, but you get my point).

American crime rates are extraordinarily high by any standards, and it is simple statistical fact that most Amercians stand less chance of being a victim of a major crime when on holiday than they do at home. Scotland, as opposed to the UK, has a similar problem, to a smaller extent though - every shooting in Scotland makes the main national TV news broadcast, and I'm sure you can work out why.

On the guns, hey that's your business. It would be bad taste to rattle off some examples of what your young folk do with them. I'm not trying to change your laws, merely calling to your attention the wee bit of hypocricy (I can never spell that) in calling other places violent. I wouldn't let my kids go to the States alone - scary, scary place. But to be fair, clearly they'd have to be a bit careful going to Jamaica as well.

Conciliatory or what?

:)

Jeez Scotsman, I just drove a Swiss friend's 17 year old daughter to MIA yesterday to return to Zurich. She travelled alone here (in part)...

But then the Swiss all get (or at least until recently did) a fully automatic militia issue assault rifle at age 19; so she probably felt more at home here than y'all "Northern English", as we passed the prominent electric flash Smith & Wesson signs on Dade Co.'s favorite police supply stores...

Arizonaralphie - if you were pitted against the locals in a downtown Mo'bay gunfight, would you prefer Connecticut or Alpine hardware (S&W, Ruger - or - Glock, SIG)? C'mon now, we know a (or an) Arizonian has an opinion on such things! ;)

Here some of us come to visit, and some will stay on the ships.

And some of us will be coming from the good ol' USA.

-------------------------

Isn't it terrible that other countries hate us good ol' Americans.

-------------------------

God bless American, Land of the FREE :) :D

And

God bless all the Countries on this wonderful earth that You made:) :D

Arizonaralphie - if you were pitted against the locals in a downtown Mo'bay gunfight, would you prefer Connecticut or Alpine hardware (S&W, Ruger - or - Glock, SIG)? C'mon now, we know a (or an) Arizonian has an opinion on such things! ;)

Well, first off, you would have to tell me where, or what downtown Mo'bay was. I may have moved here from the San Francisco Bay Area but I never did understand Eubonics. I would not be "downtown" in any gun fight, but do have "pieces" available to protect my home and family, should it become necessary.

Well, first off, you would have to tell me where, or what downtown Mo'bay was. I may have moved here from the San Francisco Bay Area but I never did understand Eubonics. I would not be "downtown" in any gun fight, but do have "pieces" available to protect my home and family, should it become necessary.

Mo'bay- Montego Bay in Ebonics.

Ill tell ya what, put me in Jamaica for 6 hours off a cruise ship... I will go to Margaritaville and to Dunns River Falls on an ORGANIZED tour through a trusted agent. Now, I understand that does not eliminate my chances of having a crime comitted against me, but it sure helps. Many of the bad stories I have heard about Jamaica are from people who decided they could navigate the island "on their own". Caution should be taken on any cruise port, as it is usually somewhere that one is not familiar with.

How is the discussion ugly? Or even heated for that matter?

I agree with you! People are expressing their opinions, on a subject that was placed here to do just that.

I really can't blame someone that owns a travel business and whom sends people to that area, from downplaying the crime problem there. After all, it is in their business interest to do so. If some one told me that the place was the new "Murder Captiol of the World," would I take my wife there? Sorry no way!

I only hope that anyone sending clients there would indeed, (As that person has mentioned here.) keep such clients apprised of both the good points and bad points (Especially the criminal activity,) of visiting any place that they are sending them. Sadly, I haven't seen this happen; however, I guess it would depend on the individual travel agency or person doing the selling.

Based on the material I posted here as to crime stats on Jamaica, as well as others who have done so, along with the Canadian warning.:

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/html/20070810T000000-0500_126141_OBS_CANADA_ISSUES_ELECTION_TRAVEL_ADVISORY_TO_JAMAICA_.asp

Along with my personel thoughts on the level of danger after my own visits to Jamaica, makes me think there is crime problem. I would choose to stay on the ship or even avoid going there in the first place.

People who choose to go there are welcome to it! I will follow my own advice and not go there. There are to many other places to go that are not as risky or depressing!

In most cases, tourist that visit there will be guided away from the worst places by the land tours run by the ship. They will survive and at worst, fall for one of the more typical scams that many Jamaicans pull on tourists.

The Travel agency person said it best and I quote.:

"Remember when you get approached in the Caribbean to purchase something, NO is a complete sentence."

This is VERY good advice! ;)

How is the discussion ugly? Or even heated for that matter?

I think someone might have mildly criticised the States, which is of course a capital offence. . Uh-oh, better not start that one going............. OK to slag off anywhere else of course

God's been a busy lad, hasn't he. Does he go to MacD's after all that sweaty creating and stuff? Tell him he might have made us a bit less rocky, would you. Oh and the Sudan wouldn't say no to some water, and Pakistan to a bit less. Still, nobody's perfect.

OOOOPS....................................

Sing alleluya and pass the ammunition.....................

:D :D

Jeez Scotsman, I just drove a Swiss friend's 17 year old daughter to MIA yesterday to return to Zurich. She travelled alone here (in part)...

But then the Swiss all get (or at least until recently did) a fully automatic militia issue assault rifle at age 19; so she probably felt more at home here than y'all "Northern English", as we passed the prominent electric flash Smith & Wesson signs on Dade Co.'s favorite police supply stores...

Now now - you know the Swiss are neutral. They don't get attacked. And I think the thing is that the Swiss, who have a defence system fairly similar to the Israeli's whereby everyone's a soldier and always at the ready, don't use the guns on each other.

If it ain't the guns that's the problem, then it must be the folk that own them. The logic then would be, don't stay away from guns, stay away from Americans, and I'm sure that's not fair at all. How would we get your dollars off you with that approach? :D

Anyway, I've learned here that Jamaica really is a dodgy place, and not to wander around there on my own if I can ever manage to get on a Princess ship that moves long enough to get there - thanks. All I'm asking is some thought before all the sensationalist "my cousin hank got bitten by a waiter" stuff about other countries, a wee glance maybe into your own back yard first. The US hotel I stayed in a few years ago did have armed guards, something that we from the UK find just totally weird and scary what with kids wandering around and stuff. This was in Florida; actually they were glorified parking attendants, which is bizarrely weird and scary. ("Freeze! Armed parking attendant! Park him, Danno").

Most folk here are saying Jamaican hotels don't have armed guards. What conclusion do you want us to draw from this, from all the stats, from your own sensationalist media coverage that leaks over here about the States being so shooty bang bang all the time - seems to me that if Jamaica's scary, the States can't be much less so.

I'm not getting at you lot - simply suggesting one or two of you keep things in proportion and have a great time.

Hope God doesn't pause from creating a new country somewhere (it'll be in the old Soviet Union, and end in "-nia" I bet, God's not the most imaginative when it comes to new country locations and names lately, I've noticed) to strike me down for that...........

:)

I know that Scotland is famous for its bagpipes. I guess it should also be noted for its wind bags too. Men that run around in funny looking skirts should not be seen at all and hopefully heard even less.:D

Rick&Jenny:) :)

Try on some of Jenny's. Let it all hang out. You might enjoy it.

That earthquake can't come a minute too soon............:D

The logic then would be, don't stay away from guns, stay away from Americans

You are way crossing too many lines here, and not very good at influencing people to your way of thinking. WHAT the heck is your agenda here?

It seems like you are on the wrong board. Isn't there an "America Hate Group" out there somewhere that you can go to? Go burn the flag somewhere else.

You are way crossing too many lines here, and not very good at influencing people to your way of thinking. WHAT the heck is your agenda here?

It seems like you are on the wrong board. Isn't there an "America Hate Group" out there somewhere that you can go to? Go burn the flag somewhere else.

Sorry, which flag? Isn't there more than one? Room for anymore on that bandwagon? Oh you are a one Deron!

My national dress just got called a funny skirt. I thought that was hilarious. Was that Rick and Jenny burning my flag then? Lots of previous posters said guns weren't the problem, the people who own them are. Why can't I say that as well? Especially as it was fairly obviously a joke.

Gosh. You're a scary man. Perhaps you should go jogging, vote Republican or shoot something to calm down.

:eek:

Jamaica is a lovely place. But it is pretty "dodgey" so consider it accordingly. Many will prefer a day on ship, but even the mildly adventurous will enjoy it ashore. A reputable guide in Ochy is recommended. Dunn's River Falls is fun and the government operated Choyobo Gardens is very nice (they'll show you their 'ganja' plants there - for real :) )

Happyscot... luv ya dude, but when a Florida redneck can buy Scotch here for 1/2 the price of Pitlochry or Glasgow, well... you're going to have to do better to gain cred! :) ;) :)

Mo'bay- Montego Bay in Ebonics.

Ill tell ya what, put me in Jamaica for 6 hours off a cruise ship... I will go to Margaritaville and to Dunns River Falls on an ORGANIZED tour through a trusted agent. Now, I understand that does not eliminate my chances of having a crime comitted against me, but it sure helps. Many of the bad stories I have heard about Jamaica are from people who decided they could navigate the island "on their own". Caution should be taken on any cruise port, as it is usually somewhere that one is not familiar with.

We did exactly the same things that you would do and had a great time. There was a retired cop on board with us who walked through the neighborhood around the harbor. He was approached to buy drugs serveral times and said there were some threats on his body. He said he was prepared should something happen, however he would not do the same things again. He mentioned that it was worse that he had ever seen as a cop.

I guess I would proceed with caution. We have been to Jamaica twice. Once to Montego Bay with a cruise. We went to Sunset Beach and had a great time. The other was a week long All-Inclusive in Negril and had the best vacation of our lives. That said we were approached to purchase drugs and we just said no. He was a really nice guy that came to the beach every day and chatted with all the people. We just said no and he left us alone. Both times in Jamaica we felt completely safe where we were. I don't know if we would venture out on our own, but we will be going back to the most beautiful beach we have ever seen.

We went to Sunset Beach Jamaica Grande resort in Ocho Rios and got day passes. It was my favorite day of the whole week! That was just a couple of months ago. We are going on the Grand in February and can't wait to go back to Sunset Beach again!

Archived