jamaica DANGEROUS?

misstee7

I do agree, I am not a fearful person either. But I did go to Jamaica, felt uncomfortable while there, and also felt a bit ripped off. (The ladies in charge of the "sale"table at our ships excursion had no change for any bill you gave them, and it never appeared either. Just left a bad taste in my mouth) I have no desire to ever go again. Whats not to understand?

I understand completely, never said that you should go:confused: Peace.........

I do agree, I am not a fearful person either. But I did go to Jamaica, felt uncomfortable while there, and also felt a bit ripped off. (The ladies in charge of the "sale"table at our ships excursion had no change for any bill you gave them, and it never appeared either. Just left a bad taste in my mouth) I have no desire to ever go again. Whats not to understand?

It seems a bit strange to judge Jamaica based on one small stop on a cruise. I'm sure there are many other places where you could have encountered the same women without change. From personal experience with three visits to Ochos Rios we never felt uncomfortable leaving the ship and walking to the shops or going to Dunn River Falls.

It seems a bit strange to judge Jamaica based on one small stop on a cruise. I'm sure there are many other places where you could have encountered the same women without change. From personal experience with three visits to Ochos Rios we never felt uncomfortable leaving the ship and walking to the shops or going to Dunn River Falls.

It wasnt just that. I gave my reasons early in this thread.

This is one port you would want to make sure and do a tour through the ship. We were there on the Coral Princess in March and took a Cat tour. It was very nice and we were treated great. When we got back to port, we took a bus to the mall where Margaritaville is. It was all just fine. We never felt at all bothered by anyone and this was one place I was really worried about. This said, Dean may make enough of a mark on this island that you won't have to worry about even getting to stop there. Let's hope they make it through ok.

The locals were advised today by the Jamaican PM to evacuate and seek shelter in designated areas. Much to the dismay of the local authorities, especially in Kingston, very few residents were willing to evacuate and leave their homes for fear that all of their belongings would be stolen by thieves. Indeed, Jamaica will be an even more dangerous place as Dean wreaks havoc and the looters clean out what is left. Godspeed to the locals, I hope they weather this storm.

George Lee, mayor of the Portmore community near the capital Kingston, said appeals to evacuate had gone unheeded. Some islanders said they were afraid for their belongings if they moved to shelters.

"Too much crime in Kingston. I'm not leaving my home," Paul Lyn said in Port Royal, east of Kingston.

Assistant Commissioner of Police Linval Bailey said police were sent to commercial districts to prevent looting and curfews were imposed until Monday evening. Police got into a shootout with looters at a shopping center in the central Jamaican parish of Clarendon, but no one was hurt, Constable Cheree Greaves said.

WOW this is about one of the most paranoid posts that I have ever seen.......poor dear:rolleyes:

I hate to say this, 'seahorse;' however, if you think the above poster is paranoid, I would have to accuse you, of being rather naive. I surly hope you don't really think that way about crime.

The poster is right! There are many cities in the USA and areas within other Countries, that are VERY dangerous! People have been rapped, robbed and or killed and/or injured walking on the beaches in Mexico and other places, to include the good old US of A in Florida!

Unless people want to become a statistic, they should be just a little 'paranoid,' if thats what you want to call it, if they want to survive. Like I said in another post here, situational awarness and not acting like a victim, in ANY place in the world is a very wise move.

I hate to say this, 'seahorse;' however, if you think the above poster is paranoid, I would have to accuse you, of being rather naive. I surly hope you don't really think that way about crime.

The poster is right! There are many cities in the USA and areas within other Countries, that are VERY dangerous! People have been rapped, robbed and or killed and/or injured walking on the beaches in Mexico and other places, to include the good old US of A in Florida!

Unless people want to become a statistic, they should be just a little 'paranoid,' if thats what you want to call it, if they want to survive. Like I said in another post here, situational awarness and not acting like a victim, in ANY place in the world is a very wise move.

I am not naive. I said that crime, that is everywhere, will not keep me from enjoying traveling. There is a difference between complete paranoia and what I call "Watching your back".

My first time in Paris someone tried to pickpocket me. Did it keep me from going to Paris again? No. It taught me a lesson;)

I am not naive. I said that crime, that is everywhere, will not keep me from enjoying traveling. There is a difference between complete paranoia and what I call "Watching your back".

My first time in Paris someone tried to pickpocket me. Did it keep me from going to Paris again? No. It taught me a lesson;)

No, seahorse, this is what you said, I quote:

WOW this is about one of the most paranoid posts that I have ever seen.......poor dear

Ann,MCC

Seafarer Travel, Inc.

About this post!

Originally Posted by iancal

We did a private tour to Dunn's falls last December. At the end, we got dropped off in town and walked back to the ship. But we were careful. Would we do it again? Yes-because there were lots of people around. Would we to to an all inclusive/resort in Jamaica...absolutely not. We like to walk the beach and it is NOT safe. We are feeling this way about parts of Mexico. Crime is one of the issues, how the authorities deal with it, especially in Mexico, is another one. Jamaica and Mexico all inclusives are off our list now, we have replaced them with Cuba. I have to add that I have stayed in a number of American cities, where on trying to leave the hotel for a walk after dinner, was strongly advised by staff NOT to leave the hotel because of personal safety issues. Crime is always lurking around the corner-you have to keep you wits about you.

• 3 weeks later...
HappyScot,

I don't understand your point "look a little closer to home". We have violence like every nation. But thousands of people complain about how they were treated, threatened, and felt unsafe in Jamaica.

If you disagree, go to Jamaica and enjoy. There is no sense or reason to show your scorn for the US when it is not the topic.

Don't thousands of pepole get robbed, shot stabbed, raped and murder in the U.S.?

But of course the U.S. isn't a black nation so it just does not seem as scary.

Don't thousands of pepole get robbed, shot stabbed, raped and murder in the U.S.?

Have you compared the size of the USA in square miles and the population of the USA to Jamacia?

This thread is about danger in a particular place and crime, not race. Why turn it into a racial issue?

There are many places in cities the USA that are more 'scary,' than Jamacia or most other places except for war zones.

The USA has many black people, especially in the large cities of the NE.

A few stats for you:

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0884133.html

When we got off the ship in Ocho Rios--we had no excursion planned and were not going totry to take a taxi for a tour--This was before we had world wide cell service--we spent some time making necessary business calls on papy phones on the wall where we just got off the ship--we would have gone to Dunn's Falls--except I had unexpected surgery on my leg 2 days befor boarding the ship and was told not try not to getit wet--we had canceled the excursion

By the time we were through with the phone we decided to walk tothe little shopping center (can't remember the name--jewelry stores and Margaritaville--about a 2 block walk --there were several Jamaicans hoping to take us on a tour--we were the only ones left--we declined--we found that a couple of them were following us on the sidewalk--still trying to intice us to tour or party Jamaican style--several times (No Thanks)--thenthey started grabbing our shirt sleeves--not too great--we were theonly one on that stretch--we just kept walking--they kept if up for awhile and finally suggested we GO BACK TO THE BOAT--

We had a Margarita or two and decided to go back to the boat--they were all gone

They are a little most persistent than Mexico--we3 had a home in Baja for many years--and a simple no or wagging of the finger let them know what the answer was--NO PROBLEM

Don't know any more than that about Jamaica--I'm sure it's quite different in a resort type atmosphere

Nancy:D

I think it's pretty amazing that "gange" is for sale openly in all the tourist areas and the only ones who get arrested are the stupid tourists who purchase it. There is a double standard there and I for one, would not like to see the inside of any jail, especially one in Jamaica.

Yes, you can be careful but most crime is opportunistic and you can't always be sure if it will happen to you. Otherwise there would be no saying: "wrong place at the wrong time." I think criminals everywhere have become bolder or there is just more media attention to it.

For myself & DH, when we visit Ochos Rios for the third time in February, we won't get off the boat.

I origninally posted the note where I was accused of being paranoid. I can assure you that crime has not limited our travel. We have travelled throughout the world-often to places that most tourists would not go. We have be threatened, followed, etc. No, it did not deter us from travel BUT we are not the usual tourists who somehow completely forget about personal safety when travelling. We don't often travel three-five star. Normally it is one star and we live like the locals and do as the locals do. It boggles the mind sometimes how people will act on vacation in ways that they would never do so at home. So, my point was NOT that we do not travel. It is just that there are so many beautiful places on this earth to travel so why would we bother about about Jamaica and parts of Mexico. To my knowledge, there have been at least four Canadian tourists murdered in resorts in Mexico over the past 12 months. The problem is that people at resorts do not expect it and are less likely to be 'aware' of their circumstances. The violence concerns me, but does not deter me. What deters me is the efforts made by local officials to gloss over the incident and the complete lack of police investigative efforts in doing so. Jamaica is another such country. So if we have a choice of Turkey, Greece, etc over Mexico and Jamaica...guess what it will be??

It boggles the mind sometimes how people will act on vacation in ways that they would never do so at home. ... The problem is that people at resorts do not expect it and are less likely to be 'aware' of their circumstances. ... What deters me is the efforts made by local officials to gloss over the incident and the complete lack of police investigative efforts in doing so. Jamaica is another such country.

I used to work at Disneyland and we had a saying, "Guests check their brains at the gate." Seems most people tend to let down their guard or do stupid things on vacation. That's a recipe for trouble, especially if you're in a place where the criminals are a little more desparate/aggressive and/or the police aren't the greatest.

Hopefully, anyone of any intelligence would take offense at this remark. What on earth does black have to do with this? And guess what, many of the citizens of the United States are black. Your attempt to make this a racial issue doesnt fly.

Karen

Why not try a private tour company? We used Mark Morris and he was fantastic. We went to the falls. You don't have to go out through the vendors at all. Mark told us to walk back the way we came in and you completely avoid them. We also river tubed, shopped and toured the city. We never felt unsafe with him. We also shopped on our own in the flea market and were never harassed there. Jamaica is beautiful and as long as you are smart you will be OK. There is crime all over the world. Go and enjoy this beautiful island.

Jamaica is a lovely island with a lot of interesting stuff to be seen.

It is poor, over populated, and subject to the sort of economic trade imbalances that create resentments in third world countries with significant natural resource exports (bauxite in Jamaica).

Probably the worst introduction to Jamaicans and their country is going to be at a cruise ship pier. It's a magnate. Get away from the pier area. The best way to do that is to arrange for a guide prior to arrival. If you do so you'll find an island with a great deal to offer (far more than many places, ex. Aruba, Grand Cayman). Unlike Grand Cayman or Aruba, in Jamaica, you generally need to keep your wits more keenly attuned if you are going to tour on your own. Jamaica is a comparatively tough act (but no more so than most of the world) and its well worth seeing. If you're a softie then pass on it, watch TV, drink beer - to each their own.

Archived