jamaica DANGEROUS?

misstee7

Happyscot... luv ya dude, but when a Florida redneck can buy Scotch here for 1/2 the price of Pitlochry or Glasgow, well... you're going to have to do better to gain cred! :) ;) :)

Now listen carefully, you bloody colonial heathens........there is no such drink as "Scotch". There never was, and there never will be. The drink you may be referring to is called whisky. Each bottle of whisky is made from the tears of God, and is perfect. It does not require to be further defined by its country of origin, as it is not made anywhere else. Various forms of ovine urine manufactured in other countries which purport to have the same name and qualities are base imitations not to be given bottle space on any gentleman's or even intelligent American's bar.

And if it is half-price in the colonies then I take back everything unpleasant I ever said about them, and I'm coming to live with you. Please prepare more whisky to accompany the whisky. There'll be no need for a glass. :p

Happyscot... luv ya dude, but when a Florida redneck can buy Scotch here for 1/2 the price of Pitlochry or Glasgow, well... you're going to have to do better to gain cred! :) ;) :)

Now listen carefully, you bloody colonial heathens........there is no such drink as "Scotch". There never was, and there never will be. The drink you may be referring to is called whisky. Each bottle of whisky is made from the tears of God, and is perfect. It does not require to be further defined by its country of origin, as it is not made anywhere else. Various forms of ovine urine manufactured in other countries which purport to have the same name and qualities are base imitations not to be given bottle space on any gentleman's or even intelligent American's bar.

And if it is half-price in the colonies then I take back everything unpleasant I ever said about them, and I'm coming to live with you. Please prepare more whisky to accompany the whisky. There'll be no need for a glass. :p

###############################################################################

:D It is not half price (wish it were) We do not have to pay your hefty whisky tax here but you get to enjoy what the distilleries keep for themselves. BTW I only like single malt and in the winter the liquid gold from Islay:D

I recently bought 1.75 ltr of Dewars at Total Wine here for US$24.99. That's like 13 pounds. Bet its at least 25 pounds in the British Isles. Also bought Dewars 12 on ship for $20 a ltr.

I am talking about single malt:) We did a whisky tour by ourselves by car and I guess we visited about 10 distilleries or more..........I think that I can distill my own by now:D

:D It is not half price (wish it were) We do not have to pay your hefty whisky tax here but you get to enjoy what the distilleries keep for themselves. BTW I only like single malt and in the winter the liquid gold from Islay:D

I've not been to "Northern England" (isn't that where the Scots live?) since the early '90s but back then liquor store prices here were - in fact - about half of what they were in Strathclyde... You can even find your Talisker here if you look around a wee bit... :D

We know some young honeymooners that recently came back from their honeymoon to Jamaica. It was at the Grand Lido Resort in Negil. They had no idea where they were going to until a few days before since it was purchased that way. They did know Jamaica at a 5 star hotel but that was it. Seeing the pictures it is so beautiful. Nothing what it looks like at Ochos Rios. They had a wonderful time and only left the resort once to go to Margaritaville. All of their food and activities such as parasailing were included in their price. Of course I had warned them to be careful if they leave the resort. They saw a side of Jamaica that we as cruise passengers do not get to see. Negil looks too far away to go there and they never went to Dunns Falls while they were there. What we saw around Ochos Rios looked nothing like the pics I saw that they took. The water and beach was beautiful at their resort while the water and beach around Ocho Rios looks not inviting.

We know some young honeymooners that recently came back from their honeymoon to Jamaica. It was at the Grand Lido Resort in Negil. They had no idea where they were going to until a few days before since it was purchased that way. They did know Jamaica at a 5 star hotel but that was it. Seeing the pictures it is so beautiful. Nothing what it looks like at Ochos Rios. They had a wonderful time and only left the resort once to go to Margaritaville. All of their food and activities such as parasailing were included in their price. Of course I had warned them to be careful if they leave the resort. They saw a side of Jamaica that we as cruise passengers do not get to see. Negil looks too far away to go there and they never went to Dunns Falls while they were there. What we saw around Ochos Rios looked nothing like the pics I saw that they took. The water and beach was beautiful at their resort while the water and beach around Ocho Rios looks not inviting.

Thank You:)

This is the problem. Cruise passengers only get to see Ochie or Mo`Bay and the vendors that batter them for their business:mad:

Grand Lido is a beautiful 5* resort:)

They saw a side of Jamaica that we as cruise passengers do not get to see.

They didn't see Jamaica at all. They saw a Caribbean beach and a lovely resort. Nothing wrong with that, but they could have just as easily been at any other lush beachy island for all they knew.

They didn't see Jamaica at all. They saw a Caribbean beach and a lovely resort. Nothing wrong with that, but they could have just as easily been at any other lush beachy island for all they knew.

I don`t think that was the point. They DID see Jamaica, the part that was a lovely resort with a lovely beach. The part that was a "lush beachy island":) It is a start.

I recently bought 1.75 ltr of Dewars at Total Wine here for US$24.99. That's like 13 pounds. Bet its at least 25 pounds in the British Isles. Also bought Dewars 12 on ship for $20 a ltr.

I am SO coming to live with you all in Southern Canada. I love you all. Shoot who you like. Eat grits. Denigrate foreign everything. I don't care. I'm on my way.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Most of the smaller islands of the Carib make a touristic "made over" impression on cruise passengers. The cruise line shops (Diamonds Int'l etc.) dominate the waterfront. The locals are usually trying hard to appeal to or cajole the pax to buy something. The economies are comparatively poor but they're overwhelmingly tourist oriented.

Jamaica is different. It's more thoroughly third world. That intimidates a lot of Americans. The fear may have some basis in fact, but it does get highly overblown. Jamaica's economy is not so heavily tourist oriented. The island is bigger with higher populace and urban poverty. The locals are proud and don't feel beholden to or dependent on tourists. They don't grovel. That makes some people fear needlessly.

If a third world port doesn't appeal to you - OK stay aboard. But there are plenty of cruisers that aren't intimidated by an occassional third world port, especially a geographically beautiful one that is culturally genuine, and that hasn't been economically sanitized by mass tourism. One shouldn't bash Jamaica because one has a really pretty low tolerance for risk or one is unwilling to undertake basic travel risk management. Yah - you have to put up with more in Jamaica, but you get more in return. Private islands have their place, but hey in in Florida and can "do that" in my back yard...

Colombia gets the same rap. Security there has improved significantly in recent times. During the past two years, tourism there has boomed, but with Europeans not North Americans. Europeans appear to be more risk tolerant. After all, they're willing to vacation in the USA too... despite the risk of whiskey drinking gunslingers here :D

Yep - cheap liquor and cheap guns... home sweet home. :)

I was told by a bartender once that it's all in the spelling. True "whisky" from Scotland will never have an "e" in the spelling on the label. Stuff made here in the states and elsewhere is spelled "whiskey". Now I don't know if that's true or not because unfortunately I've never been able to get to Scotland to find out. Maybe someday....- SF

I don`t think that was the point. They DID see Jamaica, the part that was a lovely resort with a lovely beach. The part that was a "lush beachy island":) It is a start.

I suppose you could say it's a start. But, you can't "see Jamaica" if you never leave your gated resort. You would see about as much of Jamaica as do the people who stay on the ship when it docks at Jamaica.

I was told by a bartender once that it's all in the spelling. True "whisky" from Scotland will never have an "e" in the spelling on the label. Stuff made here in the states and elsewhere is spelled "whiskey". Now I don't know if that's true or not because unfortunately I've never been able to get to Scotland to find out. Maybe someday....- SF

Yikes............that looks like my quote:eek: It is not, it is Happyscot:D

Yes it is true........Whisky is from Scotland, then there is Irish Whiskey and there is Bourbon (I am not sure if that is Rye also)

I suppose you could say it's a start. But, you can't "see Jamaica" if you never leave your gated resort. You would see about as much of Jamaica as do the people who stay on the ship when it docks at Jamaica.

People do go on tours that spend a week in Jamaica, all the time:) They see more then most of the cruise ship passengers. If they decide to stay on the resort they are meeting the people (their greatest asset BTW) eating the food, drinking the local drinks:D

Most of the smaller islands of the Carib make a touristic "made over" impression on cruise passengers. The cruise line shops (Diamonds Int'l etc.) dominate the waterfront. The locals are usually trying hard to appeal to or cajole the pax to buy something. The economies are comparatively poor but they're overwhelmingly tourist oriented.

Jamaica is different. It's more thoroughly third world. That intimidates a lot of Americans. The fear may have some basis in fact, but it does get highly overblown. Jamaica's economy is not so heavily tourist oriented. The island is bigger with higher populace and urban poverty. The locals are proud and don't feel beholden to or dependent on tourists. They don't grovel. That makes some people fear needlessly.

If a third world port doesn't appeal to you - OK stay aboard. But there are plenty of cruisers that aren't intimidated by an occassional third world port, especially a geographically beautiful one that is culturally genuine, and that hasn't been economically sanitized by mass tourism. One shouldn't bash Jamaica because one has a really pretty low tolerance for risk or one is unwilling to undertake basic travel risk management. Yah - you have to put up with more in Jamaica, but you get more in return. Private islands have their place, but hey in in Florida and can "do that" in my back yard...

Colombia gets the same rap. Security there has improved significantly in recent times. During the past two years, tourism there has boomed, but with Europeans not North Americans. Europeans appear to be more risk tolerant. After all, they're willing to vacation in the USA too... despite the risk of whiskey drinking gunslingers here :D

Yep - cheap liquor and cheap guns... home sweet home. :)

Well said:D But I do find that most people from the UK like to be on the beach and soak in as much sun as they can. Every person that I have met never leaves the beach and SUN until sunset, amazing to me. I guess it is because of the weather in the UK:p

I've been drinking Scotch Whisky for years and never noticed the spelling, just read your post and ran downstairs to check, sure enough my bottle of Dewars reads "Scotch Whisky" from Perthshire, Scotland.

What a learning thread.:)

I've been drinking Scotch Whisky for years and never noticed the spelling, just read your post and ran downstairs to check, sure enough my bottle of Dewars reads "Scotch Whisky" from Perthshire, Scotland.

What a learning thread.:)

Thank you for verifying that for me, I've always wondered. Cheers! - SF

I went to Jamaica on our honeymoon. We stayed at Sandals Inn in Montego Bay. We actually changed resorts to the Sandals Montego Bay. Sandals Inn did not have a private beach and although I felt safe, besides being offered plenty of grass. I did not want to deal with crossing the street all the time to get to the beach. Driving in Jamaica is certainly interesting.

The Sandals Montego Bay was very nice and we took the tour to Ochos Rios and did Dunns Rivers Falls. We had a really good time. I think that whenever you travel, especially a somewhat third world country, you have to be aware of your surroundings. I would definitely go back again. There are some very beautfiul areas of Jamaica.

Poverty does have a tendency to bring crime. However, there are areas of Phoenix and New York that I would not be caught dead in at night and would really be leary of going in during the day. :eek:

Well said:D But I do find that most people from the UK like to be on the beach and soak in as much sun as they can. Every person that I have met never leaves the beach and SUN until sunset, amazing to me. I guess it is because of the weather in the UK:p

That is so true... Most of us are out there just after dawn, wait for a cloud to arrive (hopefully around lunchtime) to grab a bite to eat and back down on the beach again until the sun meets the sea.

Your reasons are correct too, our weather (especially this year) sucks so if we're going to spend all that money and take a ten hour flight, we are going to make the most of the sun and be far less likely to spend time on tours. Certainly the tours I've been on in Jamaica have been 90% Americans.

CK Doodle

What did the day passes include or not include at Sunset Beach Jamaica Grande? Tell us more about the resort.

Hi Steve,

I sent an email to the address on the Jamaica Grande's website (reservations@sunsetochorios.com). This is what I got in return:

Thanks for your email. We do have a Day Pass Special for cruise ship

members.

The rate is US$45 per adult/ US$20 per child. This includes the

following:

Snacks from our two Beach Grills

Hospitality room with showers

Non-Motorized Water sports Activities

Unlimited use of the Pool & Beach Facilities

Full Buffet Lunch (Grande Palm Restaurant)

Unlimited Beverages (alcoholic/non-alcoholic)

Beach towels are not provided

Day Pass 9am-5:00pm

Picture id is required

Access to Fitness Centre & kiddies club not in package.

There is a huge waterslide that was just built this year and that is included also. The kids loved it!

It was so beautiful, the food and drinks were great and it wasn't crowded at all, but we were there in June. We were the only ship in Ocho Rios that day! We'll see what it's like in Feb.

I read here on the boards to send the email and print out the one I got back with the rates and bring it with us. Some people said they had trouble once they got there getting the day passes. We had no trouble at all with the email. It's possible if you are going at one of their busy times they might tell you in the email that there are no day passes available for that day.

Hope that helps!

Carrie

Hi Steve,

I sent an email to the address on the Jamaica Grande's website (reservations@sunsetochorios.com). This is what I got in return:

Thanks for your email. We do have a Day Pass Special for cruise ship

members.

The rate is US$45 per adult/ US$20 per child. This includes the

following:

Snacks from our two Beach Grills

Hospitality room with showers

Non-Motorized Water sports Activities

Unlimited use of the Pool & Beach Facilities

Full Buffet Lunch (Grande Palm Restaurant)

Unlimited Beverages (alcoholic/non-alcoholic)

Beach towels are not provided

Day Pass 9am-5:00pm

Picture id is required

Access to Fitness Centre & kiddies club not in package.

There is a huge waterslide that was just built this year and that is included also. The kids loved it!

It was so beautiful, the food and drinks were great and it wasn't crowded at all, but we were there in June. We were the only ship in Ocho Rios that day! We'll see what it's like in Feb.

I read here on the boards to send the email and print out the one I got back with the rates and bring it with us. Some people said they had trouble once they got there getting the day passes. We had no trouble at all with the email. It's possible if you are going at one of their busy times they might tell you in the email that there are no day passes available for that day.

Hope that helps!

Carrie

With a lot of the AI'S, you can pre-reserve with the Sales departments and insure your day pass will be there. When we fill up, we limit the amount of day passes, but honor pre-reserved reservations.

I had forgotten about Jamaica Grande, that is a nice price and about $$ cheaper than some of the other ones!! Beach is a little small but pool area is nice.

Archived