Would you be upset if announcements were made in your stateroom

stuNYC

They are on the TV . Can't imagine why anyone would want them on the in room speaker.

Are they? I didn't know that. If it's obvious somehow that one is starting (as in you can hear a 'ding' from the hallway indicating a message is about to start) so that you know to turn the TV on to the proper channel, that sounds great.

With today's technology it seems to me that at least on the new ships Celebrity is building they could implement the ability to provide announcements to statements on an individual basis. If they had this ability then when you provide your boarding pass information they could have a question that asked if you wanted to receive all ship announcements in your cabin and then those who answered yes would have their cabin number for that cruise punched into the system to hear all announcements within their cabin.

For us, we have reached a point where we are cutting-back on our cruising (we used to book 6 or 7 a year) because we are sick and tired of the annoying annoucments (and a few other issues). When you cruise on the really upscale cruise lines like Crystal, Seabourn, and Regent the annoucements are non-exisitent or very very limited. In fact, on one of those lines (can't remember which one) they did not even make annoucements on our disembarkation day. They give you a nice daily schedule and make it clear that they assume you can read. Getting to the OP, NO, we do not want annoucments in our cabin...in fact we do not want announcents anywhere on the ship!

Hank

From a post above, both HAL and Princess also don't have announcements in the rooms. I know that was true of Princess when I sailed them last year. So Celebrity is different from some other lines in this regard but is not unique.

Difference with Celebrity is they don't make the annoucements outside the room either. They only make one or two annoucements per day.

I absolutely dislike having to open my cabin door and stand in the hallway to hear if the ship has been cleared to disembark.

To me, that is the most absurd inconvenience, and the fact that I cannot selectively decide if I want to hear announcements in my cabin, ala RCCL, or not, is nothing but a cost savings measure that has been built into their design and suggestively positioned as a 'no announcement' policy.

Yes, no annoucements... because we can't get them to you. :cool:

We recently sailed on the Volendam to Alaska and were pleased to note that you could tune one of the radio stations to Shipboard Announcements. If that wasn't done, you could only hear the announcements in public areas. Having that option sounds like a good idea to me.

On our first cruise (Navigator), our stateroom speaker had a dial so you could choose to hear the announcments or not. I thought that was most sensible. I have not seen that on any ship (even other RCL ships) since and dislike running into the hall to hear the announcments. Folks can say that we should just all call the front desk but if those who wanted to hear them could choose to (with those not wanting to choosing not to), then the front desk would receive a great deal fewer calls and would be able to spend more time resolving issues.

NO!.

I am on vacation and don't need to hear anything that doesn't pertain to me.

I read the next days daily before I go to bed to decide what I want to do. I call for a wakeup call, and thats it.

One of the reasons, although not the main one, that we sail X is the LACK of announcements.

Plenty of information is available either in print or on your cabins tv screen. ANy emergency SHOULD be ship wide inculing cabins, however I don't want to be in the cabin and hear 'BINGO IN TEN MINUTES!!!' as I have on a carnival and other lines. I like my serenity. If I have a question I ask as there is a cabin steward around almost 24 hours a day.

And making it an option is just an excuse for lazy people to be reminded. IMHO.

Dave:eek:

And making it an option is just an excuse for lazy people to be reminded. IMHO.

Dave:eek:

Gee Dave, why should lazy people have to live by your preferences? :)

Also, Celebrity theoretically has no surplus announcements so the only ones these folks would be hearing are gangway announcements and the noon Captain's announcement. I, for one, don't think it lazy to want to know which gangway to use without having to phone someone.

Bringing up the bingo announcement is totally irrelevant. I don't think any of us want bingo announcements. Announcements that most likely ARE of interest to 95% of the ship are worthwile. If it is made so that the 5% to whom it is not relevant don't need to be disturbed, all the better!

Bringing up the bingo announcement is totally irrelevant. I don't think any of us want bingo announcements. Announcements that most likely ARE of interest to 95% of the ship are worthwile. If it is made so that the 5% to whom it is not relevant don't need to be disturbed, all the better!

On Princess - to hear announcements, you have to have the Bridge Channel turned on one your TV and the volume on.

I am amazed at how big the announcement issue is on Celebrity. I have cruised many lines and IMO, the announcements on Princess and Crystal are not annoying. They are few and far between.

On Princess - to hear announcements, you have to have the Bridge Channel turned on one your TV and the volume on.

I am amazed at how big the announcement issue is on Celebrity. I have cruised many lines and IMO, the announcements on Princess and Crystal are not annoying. They are few and far between.

The issue is not big on Celebrity because as stated earlier they don't make announcements. That is one of the reasons people like to sail with them...The OP wants the announcements in the cabin and most of the posters want it to say the same.

The issue is not big on Celebrity because as stated earlier they don't make announcements. That is one of the reasons people like to sail with them...The OP wants the announcements in the cabin and most of the posters want it to say the same.

I'm still a little baffled as to why people don't want others to have the option of hearing the announcements in their rooms even if they choose not to (with a dial). It seems a little hard of them.

I Agree - an *option* to hear announcements in the room is great... unfortunlatey, it seems that not many of the X ships are designed that way (not sure bout the any of the Millennium Class ships, but im guessing not there either - making it none of the X ships).

I personally like not hearing announcements. If im on a tour, im up before the annoucement and dont have to know where the gangway is anyways since im led there. If im not on a tour, i want to sleep late and dont want to hear an annoucement made as a matter of conveniece for people who dont want to find other means of finding out where the gangway is (signs, dailies... or Cruise Directors Channel). Im pretty sure (albiet, not 100%) that the Cruise Directors show, he (or she) announces where the gangway will be.

I guess its 6 of one, half-dozen of another... either they're making lazy people angry becuase they're waking them up (thats me :) ) or your making lazy people angry becuase they have to use the phone to call guest services to find out where the gangway is...

As they say: You Can't Please All The People All The Time .....

I'm still a little baffled as to why people don't want others to have the option of hearing the announcements in their rooms even if they choose not to (with a dial). It seems a little hard of them.

I don't think anyone has a problem with it as long as the option is there to turn them off however on Celebrity there are so few annoucements it is really not an issue. On most of my cruises there were usually two announcements for the day unless something happened that we needed to know. They do not make the usually Bingo, Shuffleboard, etc announcements only operational ones for the most part.

Before Celebrity started the no announcement policy, the Zenith (on our cruises in 92 and 93) did have knob on the nightstand that controlled the volume of the speaker in your room and the ability to turn off the announcements. I guess when they built new ships, they realized that most did not like having the announcements and turned them off so that was one less thing that they had to add.

I personally enjoy the no announcement policy. I don't have to worry that I accidentally turned up the volume while reaching for something.

Then there really is not a problem.

The no announcement policy is a no in cabin announcement policy since the ships cannot accomodate it due to the lack of audible devices into the cabins.

For reasonable announcements, or need to know critical issues, there is also not an option, and how have we heard hear lound and long about how this cruiseline fails to meet basic needs of deseminating important information!

I don't agree no one wants to hear specific information. I believe some do not want to hear announcements. To that, allow equal opportunity for those seeking destination or other relevant information, and turn the dial to off if you don't care.

I think all the new ships going forward ought to have the in cabin option.

My gut tells me X can manage to select the right level of dialog under that scenario to broadcast.

Archived