music on balcony

nicole9s

I am not trying to start a debate, but I was just reading another post where someone suggested bringing speaker wire to run from the CD player in their suite to the verandah to listen to music outside. Someone else replied saying that nobody should do that since others would hear your music and not appreciate it.

So I was wondering what would be the general concensus about this? IMHO, as long as it wasn't very loud, or very late, or just totally obscene, it wouldn't bother me. Again, IMHO, I'd rather have music playing on a nearby verandah than have to smell smoke from it.

I've only had a balcony cabin once before so I don't remember much, but I thought it was pretty loud out there from the ocean itself...would you really be able to hear someone else's music that well? Forgive my ignorance!

I would not care to hear music from another verandah. Music tastes vary widely and I would not want to get stuck next to a verandah with music I don't care for, or at times I'd just like to have some quiet. Also, volume is another aspect that is subject to individual interpretation.

I agree with the headphone idea.

I was on a cruise earlier this year where someone a couple of decks below me had music playing on their balcony. Someone either on my level or above me yelled down at them to turn it off.

I'd say bring headphones. If you're planning to sit out on the balcony with someone else while listening to the music you can get a "Y" splitter at Radio Shack that will allow you to plug two sets of headphones in so you can both listen at the same time.

Music tastes vary widely and even though your taste and mine might be the same, I would not want to be subjected to listening to it on my balcony when I might prefer quietly listening to the waves against the side of the ship. Bring earphones. You asked the question, seems to me all the answers are the same, so listen and remember.

okay I see where everyone is coming from. I had not intended to listen to music on the balcony, I just don't understand how music is so much more offensive than smoke. Smoke makes me sick, music doesn't (in general, ever hear anything by KFed, :p :eek: LOL)

I would say smoke from a balcony is the more annoying of the two, but both playing music on one's balcony and smoking on one's balcony are both very narcissistic behaviors where one is enjoying themself at the expesne of disturbing other people. I would hope that people would have more respect for their fellow passengers and refrain from smoking or playing music on balconies. Unfortunately there are always people who only care about themself and/or are oblivious to how their actions have deleterious impact on others and will do one or both of those.

Last March on the Century 2 teenagers in the SS next to use had the most horrible music blasting for hours. We could not even be on the balcony. Called down to the desk 4 times until they finally sent the security officer and the butler to tell them to turn it off. So NO play the music inside and not so loudly it comes through the walls.

Bring headphones. I have no desire to take a vacation to relax and have to listen to ANY music from a near by Balcony.

Amen!!!! I didn't pay all this money to listen to someone's music. I will be on the phone to the hotel director before the first song is over.

We brought our portable iPod speaker with us and did listen to music on our balcony with no complaints. Now, it was very mellow music played at a very low level, just enough for us to hear with the speakers between our chairs. It was very relaxing. I would be annoyed by very loud music and we would have turned it off if anyone asked us to.

I think it would be really unpopular, given that what different people consider to be good music is so different. On every single sail-in video I've seen for Venice on multiple lines, they seem to blast Con te Partiro (Sarah Brightman and Adrea Bocelli) and I would hate that. It was such an over-played song for so long that I'm really just sick of it. It makes us glad that we will be on our balcony for that moment, not on deck.

Hearing music from one other balcony may not be so bad (depending on what was playing and how loud), but having different music playing from 2 or more balconies would be TORTURE. Seriously, it would make me want to jump overboard. And so who would determine which one gets to play their music?

No, in the interest of harmony, limiting your music to your stateroom or headphones is the better bet.

I would add that the same thing goes for loud conversation.

No, in the interest of harmony, limiting your music to your stateroom or headphones is the better bet.

I would add that the same thing goes for loud conversation.

Yes, I could not agree more, headphones for loud conversations!

I DO agree that NO music on the balconies. But it got me to thinking when I was a kid and grew up near a beach, wall to wall people, several different radio stations going (including at least one ball game). I think because that was a BIGGER open area the sound dispersed more, plus you could up your blanket and move, but it was sort of nice, you didn't mind all the sounds at once.

I wasn't going to add to this thread since I was the one who suggested the speaker wire, but I'd like to explain to those who are curious enough to care... we like music on the balcony during sail away when everyone is out watching the ropes get thrown, the gangway brought in, waving to the other ships in port, enjoying a cold drink after another great day in port. So, if you hear Jimmy Buffet playing from someone's verandah during a sail away... it's my cabin. ;) Now... if you hear loud rock or rap or whatever the heck they call that junk on the radio these days during a day at sea or at night... it's NOT me. There's a time and place for everything.

MECruzr

Balcony boundaries are permeable--you share your balcony with your neighbors, whether that means smells or sounds. So common courtesy would dictate some communication if you're determined to create smells or sounds that might waft over to your neighbors, right? A simple conversation about "could we work this out?" might mean an enjoyable cruise for all.

I like music on the balcony, and I hate smoking, and I think it's exactly the same thing. I would much rather talk about it than have my neighbors annoyed at my music, while I fume inwardly about the smoking and turn up the volume on the ipod speakers.

and while there is a part of me who would like to be as "in your face" as that--I'm not remotely like that, and would be much more likely to quietly, inwardly fume if I were not able to work it out, unfortunately.

Just have to hope for neighbors who respect boundaries, whether it's about music or any smell or noise!!!!

Archived